Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

I bought this for my 11-year old and he LOVES it! In fact, he's already watched it three times.

Because I'm a fan of the old-school Rankin/Bass stop-motion cartoons, including The Year Without a Santa Claus, I thought the Miser Brothers' Christmas would be a nice addition to our holiday collection (especially since the Heat Miser song has been a staple with me for decades!)

Even my husband liked this 44-minute DVD. In a nutshell, Mother Nature has a family reunion with her "children", including The Tides, Earthquake, North Wind and the Miser Brothers (Heat Miser and Snow Miser).

The narcissistic lavender-hued North Wind poses an unusual question during the meeting: if something happened to Santa Claus, who would deliver the presents to the good children? Since the North Pole falls under the domain of the North Wind, it's determined that he would be in charge.

Enter evil plan to destroy Santa and take over Christmas!

Will the Heat Miser and Snow Miser be able to put aside their differences to help Santa? And what happens when Santa throws out his back right before Christmas? Who sabotaged Santa's sleigh...and can elf Tinsel, chief engineer, remedy the situation?

The animation is fantastic in this DVD (yes, it appears to be stop-motion!) The hair of the Heat Miser is especially cool, as is the slick icy mane of the Snow Miser.

If you enjoyed the Miser Brothers in The Year Without a Santa Claus, I think you and your children will like A Miser Brothers' Christmas. I know we did!

-- Janet Boyer, author of Back in Time Tarot
on December 12, 2009
I will give this 2 stars for nice stop-motion animation and colorful sets. They tried but they had a lousy story to work with. I realize that Rankin-Bass is history now but the "modern" take on these characters and the "new" story is just wrong on so many levels.

Mrs. Claus has none of the charm of the Shirley Booth character in the original "The Year Without a Santa Claus" and she looks like she is about 50 years older than Santa and she can't sing. Santa also lacks the charm of the original although still voiced by Mickey Rooney. The new elves, while admirably diverse, are charmless too and lacking lovability, especially the head elf who sounds like an accountant instead of one of Santa's jolly helpers. How modernly droll (not).

The Miser Brothers are OK but the new "improved" CEO version of Mother Nature and the huge-chinned North Wind? What on Earth? A useless peripheral character with zero interest as a villain.

The music is the worst I've heard on one of these, sounding like someone's teenager wrote it in the garage on their WalMart guitar in about 2 days. You won't be singing these songs again and again nor hearing them covered by any recording artist on a Christmas album. The original Misers song is the only highlight musically.

Too bad -- I really wanted to like this. A poor effort at capturing the magic of the old Christmas stop motion specials clearly made to make money and not delight children and adults alike.
on March 9, 2011
I was expecting a horrible movie due to revues, and how bad it looked on advertisements. However, It's not a terrible movie. As an adult I enjoyed it for what it is. I agree that the worst things were the change (look) of Mrs. Claus. Her hair was styled up with a rubber band looking thing like you would do for a Barbie doll. The original Mrs. Clause was adorable both physically, and vocally. The songs were AWFUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLL, and the wind villian was just full of hot air. He really wasn't necessary in the story, and made for a predictable villian/movie out come. I loved how they got Mickey Rooney to play Santa Claus again. They gave santa a good joyful feel to his character. I also enjoyed the physical re-design of the Santa character. Also, I didn't mind the changes they had made to mother nature. In the first movie I never cared for her looks (a swamp hag with bad fashion sense). At least in this version her physical appearance was cute.I loved her voice. It was soothing to hear. I don't know how I feel about the subtle changes they had made to the brothers? Snow looked a little too harsh...Heat basically looked the same, but had new clothes. To get to the over all point, this is a movie that will keep kids occupide while you wrap Christmas gifts. However, for the adults who just want to see a sequel, then understand you can't have high expectations on this film. Enjoy it for what it offers you.

Also, what happened to Jingle and Jangle? They weren't even in this film.
on December 16, 2009
The "sequel" to the beloved Rankin & Bass classic is just a pathetic mess from beginning to end. The colors are foreign, the acting uninspired, the characters paper thin. The close up perspective of the scenes lacks depth; you do not get a felling that an entire world lies outside the camera's frame as you do with the classic. And poor Heat Miser and Snow miser look pathetic (note Heat Misers picture on the DVD box looks nothing like the pathetic impostor in the show). And don't get me started on Mrs Clause or the insipid Little People clamation video inspired "elves" (the original elves were far to embarrassed to be a part of the debacle). Beyond all this the story seems torn between attempting at one moment to appeal to the melba toast morality of mothers of toddlers and the next trying and painfully failing at appealing to adults (witness the creepy, charmless flying henchmen of the obnoxious villain). There is just nothing here but a faint twisted shadow of the original. Don't waste your money (instead send it to me to compensate me for the 45 minutes of my life I will never get back)... Some one, please make a special in the true spirit of R&B, or, at very least, one that sort of looks like the original... Merry Christmas
on December 9, 2014
This video has a newer version of the Miser Brothers, yet they retain their charm from "Year Without a Santa Claus". Mrs. Claus is a little off, and some of the songs aren't the best, but it is a cute story. Buy it for your Christmas collection and delight your kids!
on December 28, 2011
I bought this movie for my 5 year old daughter and myself to add to our Christmas movie collection. I adore all the older Christmas movies, and this one, although it's newer, is based on the old "A Year Without Santa Clause". This movie is adorable, yes some of the characters look different, but I thought it was an improvement. They sing really cute songs, and I loved the story line. Very cute to share with family at Christmas. I recommend this movie to people of all ages. Merry Christmas.
on January 1, 2011
For those who can't get enough of the Heat Miser and Snow Miser, this is an entertaining sequel to the original movie The Year Without a Santa Claus! The story is really cute...especially when it shows the two feisty brothers as infants! A fun choice for a family movie during the Christmas season!
on December 17, 2013
If you really think about it isn’t it wonderful Warner Brothers brought us a new stop motion Christmas special? I read so many questionable reviews about this show “Miser Brother’s Christmas” (by the way NOT EVERY Rankin-Bass holiday special was a winner). I would like to point out something that choked me up and that is finding out that Mickey Rooney and George S. Irving reprised their respective roles as Santa Claus and Heat Miser at ages 88 and 86 (bless there hearts). That did it for me, plus the fact that my kids have watched it 3 times a day for the last week. The special feature Stop Motion documentary is the first one of its kind that helped me show my children how amazing these shows really are. I wouldn’t think of having my holiday dvd collection with out it!
on December 19, 2015
What's deluxe about this edition? Nothing, not at all. The way they make the case look in the picture makes it look like a nice deluxe edition, well the picture lies, the case was broken, the disc was loose in the case and now is all scratched up. Supposed to be new, but can barely pass for used.
on June 11, 2014
A Classic to Add to Your Christmas Movie Collection! As grandparents, we remember watching this as children and thought it's a cute movie. We gave it five stars because of the different dimension it brings to the Christmas season and the spirit of Christmas with the 'Scrooges' that are always present during the season. I recommend this as a gift or for an addition to your Christmas collection.