Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation Learn more

Color: Coral|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

The manufacturer commented on the review below
on June 21, 2014
As an early adopter of these products, I’ve pretty much seen them all and used many of them myself, ever since the original Fitbit which didn’t even have an app for years (which I was actually fine with). My boyfriend thinks I’m nuts, but whatever, over the years, we’ve both seen a real impact that these things have made in my life.

HISTORY
My quick activity tracker resume is as follows: Fitbit -> Fitbit Ultra -> Fitbit One -> Jawbone UP -> back to Fitbit Flex -> Shine (mostly on the wrist). Basically I’ve been a Fitbit loyalist (bought and reviewed them on …) despite me having to replace each one of them at least a couple times a year because I would inevitably forget them on a shirt or something and accidentally throw them in the washer where they always died - I’ve actually never had a single one survive a wash. When I got the UP I was pretty excited because of the design from the pictures I saw. It quickly became a major disappointment because of how thick it was and how it 1) kept scratching my computer whenever I was typing (seems like a recurring theme in the reviews), 2) would get caught on my shirt sleeves, and 3) was in fact quite ugly. I stuck with it anyway because I dropped $130 on it *sigh* but eventually gave up after having to replace it THREE times because it would just stop working. And I even bought my Jawbone at the Apple Store - I thought all the stuff there was supposed to be really good - I can’t understand why out of all the activity trackers they sell there, they sell the Jawbone which is literally the worst rated activity tracker here on Amazon!

Anyway so back to Fitbit I went when the Flex came out which I used until… it started to smell. Like vinegar. It was pretty gross so I washed it…and then it died because water got into it. *sigh* My second Flex - same thing - started to smell after a few weeks. It also just didn’t really work all that well and was really annoying to charge all the time. Then I heard about the Shine through a friend who got hers on Indiegogo - finally broke down in a spat of retail therapy and got one here on Amazon. AND I LOVE IT. I actually recently saw the Shine highlighted in the latest iPhone 5 Apple ad (I have to say, the Shine is pretty Apple-esque in their design so I can see why they would show it off) so it reminded me to get one for my boyfriend…and to finally sit down and write up this review that I’ve been meaning to do for weeks now.

One thing I want to comment on from some of the reviews I’ve read about Shine in defense of the previous devices I’ve had in the past: yes, of course compared to Shine, my Fitbits and Jawbones were down-right ugly and toy-like but they were relatively easy to hide so it wasn’t actually that big of a deal (except for when I’m wearing a short sleeve shirt, in which case I just put it away in my purse). I never did the whole clip-on-the-bra thing because I always thought that was kind of weird but if I had a pocket I would just leave it in there and that worked fine. I guess the difference is, I actually WANT to wear Shine on the outside for people to see. Okay onto the review:

PROS
* STUNNING - I know everyone’s already said it but I just wouldn’t do it justice if I skipped it: the Shine is very obviously the most beautiful device on the market. Opposite to the Jawbone, it’s actually nicer looking “in person” than in the photos - you really can’t appreciate it until you hold it in your hands. I can wear it with just about anything and now I don’t have to hide it. :)
* SUPER COMFORTABLE - Again, not to just repeat what everyone’s said here but the thing is really thin and light. I rarely remember that I’m even wearing it no matter what I’m doing.
* SOLID BUILD QUALITY - The entire shell is made of aircraft grade aluminum and it FEELS great when you hold it or wear it - totally different from wearing any of the other plastic bands.
* NO CHARGING - I never realized how big of a deal this was until about three weeks in I realized that I never had to take it off to charge it. I’ve actually worn my Shine now for over five months without having to charge it (bought my first one in February this year and still haven’t ever had to charge it!). Pretty amazing. One of my greatest annoyances with my Fitbits and Jawbones was that I’d misplace or outright lost my charger (which was proprietary so I couldn’t just use my micro USB charger) ALL THE TIME and would have a week or two of gaps in my data - that alone made me quit a bunch of times. I know tons of my friends have had the exact same experience.
* TRULY WATERPROOF - This is kind of a big deal to me because I’ve had so many Fitbits die on me because they were definitely NOT waterproof as they claimed to be. I don’t need 50 meters waterproof since I’m not a swimmer or anything but I’d like it to last through my washer which my Shine has… probably a couple DOZEN times now. Including the dryer. This thing is really strong. Well it’s metal so I guess it’s supposed to be - still pretty amazing.
* ACCESSORIES! These guys have made a ton of money off of me by now since I’ve gotten pretty much every accessory they sell - helps me match better. My favorite is the Bloom Necklace which is gorgeous beyond belief; my next favorite is the black leather band which I can wear with just about anything - casual, business casual, etc. The silicone band that it comes with is pretty nice too - I know some people have said that theirs popped out but mine has stayed on my wrist all this time (five+months) so that hasn’t been a problem.
* TRACKS CYCLING - Okay this is way cool because neither the Fitbit Flex or the Jawbone could do this. Makes sense since I could only wear it on my wrist. With my Shine, when I go to spin class, I just take it out of the band, put it in the clip and clip it to my shoes and it tracks everything! There’s even a tile that comes up that shows that I was cycling.
* ACCURATE - see below for my little accuracy study. Basically, when compared to my Fitbits and Jawbone, the Shine was the least variable - readings were always very stable whereas with the others, I would get as much as +/-30% fluctuations even when I’m doing the exact same thing.
* AUTOMATIC SLEEP DETECTION - I totally LOVE this feature. Basically, I don’t do a thing and it just tracks my sleep and it does so amazing accurately. I have no idea how they do it but it just works. With my Flex I have to tap it like thirty times before it gets into sleep mode which was pretty annoying and made me never use the feature. Jawbone was a little easier - I just had to press and hold down the button for a few seconds. But for both Fitbit and Jawbone, I NEVER remembered to manually tag my sleep so I rarely actually got any sleep date whereas with the Shine, I get it, both the amount of sleep and the quality (deep vs. light) of my sleep… every night for the last several months.
* FRIENDS FEATURE - My girlfriends and I are all “friends” with each other on the Shine community so we’re all on each others’ lists in the app and can see how we’re each doing. The notifications are surprisingly not annoying and do in fact get me moving.

CONS
* LACK OF INTEGRATION WITH OTHER APPS - When I first got my Shine back in January, I have to admit that the software was kind of lacking, and there are still some features that I really wish it had. But since then it’s gotten way better - there must have been about 10 updates since then and everytime there’s something new. They don’t integrate into Runkeeper or MyFitnessPal which kind of sucks but it’s not the end of the world. I basically just use the Misfit App now and it’s fine. I do feel these guys are kind of missing the boat without integration into other apps but I guess I’ll deal with it.
* DOUBLE TAPPING TAKES TIME TO GET USED TO - The device doesn’t have any buttons so the way you make it display your progress or the clock is by double-tapping it. I know it took me a couple days to get used to it. I actually like the fact that it doesn’t have any buttons but this did take some getting used to. Basically, the trick is to wear it on your wrist or on your body somewhere and tap it there. If you take it off the band or the clip and lay it still on a hard surface (I don’t know why you would) the tapping doesn’t work as well.
* LACK OF LONG TERM VIEWS - The app is beautiful just like the device but it only has daily and weekly views. At least with the other products I’ve tried, I could view longer term data - like month-to-month how I’m doing. I know my friends who use the Fuelband (I’ve never had one myself) have lifetime points which to them was a big deal. Out of all the devices out there, it seems like the most obvious feature to have given how much more continuously I wear my Shine (I have months of continuous data as opposed to days) since I never have to charge it.
* LACK OF TRACKING OTHER DATA - For the longest time all you could get was activity and sleep data. They finally added food tracking (which is pretty fun to use because it’s just pictures rather than having to type stuff in which I never did in the other apps). And just now got weight tracking. But the weight tracking is manual rather than connected to my Withings Scale. I really don’t think I’m that obsessive about this kind of thing but I think hydration (which my trainer has always emphasized to me as being important) seems like it’d be a really great thing to be able to track how much water I’m drinking. I was able to do it in my other apps but not the Misfit app. Being able to enter in notes here and there would be nice too. Again not huge but you know.
* LACK OF MULTI-DEVICE SUPPORT - I know this is kind of nuts but I liked this so much that in addition to the grey one, I also bought the topaz AND the champagne one. The grey one is my go-to since it fits with just about anything I wear. The champagne one fits with my browns, yellows, and whites. But I think the topaz is the cutest but it’s harder to match so I save it for special occasions. It reminds me of a Tiffany blue - really classy. The only annoying thing is I actually have to unlink and relink the Shines when I use different ones because the app doesn’t support multiple Shines at one time. I know I’m probably not the typical Shine user but still - just sayin!
* NO TILES FOR YOGA - Again I’m probably being too picky here and it’s not like any of the other trackers could handle yoga either but it would have been nice if there was a tile for yoga since between spin and yoga classes, that’s the major of my exercise routine. My cheat on this is when I do yoga, I just tag it as swimming so I get more points (shhhh) since that’s basically how much effort I feel I’ve exerted after I’ve done yoga for an hour.

ACCURACY
My rather non-scientific study:
Given that I had a dresser full of these things I thought I’d do a quick study with the ones that still worked and see for myself (I actually ended up borrowing my friend’s Jawbone since the last one I had died and I never bothered to replace it):

Home to parents’ home - about 15 minutes:
Fitbit One: 1892, 1681, 1983, 1782 -> average = 1835, range = 302 (3rd place)
Fitbit Flex: 2043, 1879, 1683, 1912 -> average = 1879, range = 360
Jawbone UP: 1437, 1698, 1952, 1702 -> average = 1697, range = 515
Shine on wrist: 1884, 1932, 1859, 1861 -> average = 1884, range = 73 (winner = least variable)
Shine on hip: 1901, 1891, 1802, 1837 -> average = 1858, range = 99 (2nd place)

Home to work - about 7 minutes to the train, 15 minute train ride, and 4 minutes to the office:
Fitbit One: 1385, 1539, 1472, 1681 -> average = 1519, range = 296 (3rd place)
Fitbit Flex: 1623, 1573, 1631, 1278 -> average = 1526, range = 353
Jawbone UP: 1103, 1492, 1067, 1213 -> average = 1219, range = 425
Shine on wrist: 1540, 1505, 1512, 1484 -> average = 1510, range = 56 (winner = least variable)
Shine on hip: 1556, 1444, 1498, 1464 -> average = 1491, range = 112 (2nd place)

The short of it is that basically, these things are pretty variable from device to device and it’s hard to tell which one is ACTUALLY the accurate one - it’s not like I counted my steps manually. The Shine on the wrist correlated pretty close to my Fitbit Flex. The Shine on my hip was pretty close to my Fitbit One. Jawbone was just off. Anyway, when I thought about it I realized that it didn’t really matter what the _actual_ number of steps was, but I would expect that whatever the device reported to me, it would not be so widely different each time. My Fitbit Flex sometimes just felt like a random number generator. So in terms of consistency, which I decided was my most important measure, my Shine wins hands down - and what’s amazing is that it’s pretty accurate no matter where I wore it. I haven’t tried it with the Necklace since I just got it but maybe that’ll come in a later update.

CONCLUSION
If the fact that I’ve stuck with my Shine and basically have rarely taken it off for the last five months is any indicator, I totally love this little thing. It’s so obviously the best device on the market - best build quality, most comfortable to wear, easiest to use (since I never have to charge it), most accurate, and best of all, instead of hiding it like I did with all my other devices, I wear it confidently outside. I get TONS of comments and practically every time I fly the person next to me notices it and if they’re the talkative type, they always ask me about it. These guys should pay me a commission given how many people have bought this because of me! It’s a joy to use mostly because I usually just forget that I’m wearing it and when I do remember and check my app, I’m blown away by the stuff I learn about myself - but this review is already too long - sorry about that.

The bottom line is I’ve lost 17 pounds (down from 143 to around 126) since I started using it. Even cooler is I sleep on average nearly half an hour more and get around 25% more deep sleep than say three months ago. I certainly FEEL like I sleep better - these days, waking up a lot more refreshed than I used to. The sleep improvement almost certainly has something to do with the fact that I drink way less coffee than I used to (1-2 cups vs. 4-5 cups before) but seeing my sleep improving as I drank less coffee definitely encouraged me to keep going. It’s probably not just because of the device but it’s certainly helped and now I’m just addicted.
7575 comments|3,195 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hi Fiona,

Thank you so much for your very thoughtful review! Update: we recently released our open API so we have now integrated with other apps such as MyFitnessPal, Lose it! and dozens more. We're humbled by this great feedback and working relentlessly to keep improving our customer experience.

Best,

Mike

Mike
Misfit Wearables
mike@misfit.com
on December 17, 2015
With such a wide variety of fitness wristbands out in the market right now, it was becoming really difficult to choose one that would fit my necessities. Some are better than others for indoor vs outdoor workouts, and the battery life varies a lot! I researched for a long time to able to come up with my top picks.

I was able to find a great site called justafax.com that really helped me compare all the models available with their different features. I was able to find the right one for me and the great thing is that when I finally decided which one was the best fit, I could just click on the chosen one and it will immediately direct me to an amazon store to purchase it.
0Comment|656 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2014
I’ve tried most of the main activity trackers out there - going all the way back to the Fitbit Ultra (which broke), the Fitbit One (which I liked but lost), the Jawbone UP (died after two weeks, got a replacement, the replacement died after a month, got another replacement, which just stopped charging after a month), and most recently tried the Fitbit Flex - I’ve stopped using it now that I’ve lost the charger twice and have been too lazy to call in to get a another charger. So, I decided to try the Shine! (Got one when it was an Indiegogo campaign, lost it and got another recently).

PROS:
* DESIGN. Clearly the best design of any of the activity trackers out there by a long shot. You really can’t appreciate how nice it is until you hold and feel the little metal disc - incredibly light and it doesn’t even feel like an electronic product. I get asked constantly what it is, and the cool tapping mechanism really wows everybody.

* COMFORTABLE. This is definitely the most comfortable of any of the trackers I’ve ever worn. I didn’t realize how thin it was until I got it. The fact that it has the clock feature is also really cool. It’s kind of slow but I’ve put up with it since it also does activity tracking and I don’t feel like wearing two things on my wrist. I’ve actually recently been using it mainly as a watch (with activity tracking as a bonus)

* TRULY WATERPROOF. I didn't have the chance to swim with it, but I shower with it and there’s never been a problem. That said, I’ve forgotten it in the washing machine AND dryer when I leave it on my pants and it’s been fine (Just to compare, one wash cycle killed one of my Fitbits). Let’s see how my Shine will last after I replace the battery. Usually waterproof seals don’t work after a battery change.

* TRACKS CYCLING. I used it a few times while biking: Very easy (and feel strong enough) to take the Shine off the band and use the magnetic clip to clip it to my shoe and it tracks my entire work out. Finally (I did try to wear my Jawbone on my ankles a couple times but I just felt like an ex-con (and it was uncomfortable) so I stopped.

* AUTOMATIC SLEEP TRACKING. One thing I didn't like about all the other activity trackers is that they all require you to do something. With the Flex I had to tap it few times each night before it would register a sleep tag. With my Jawbone I had to press and hold a button down. Aside from forgetting to do this most of the time, when I did remember to do it, I couldn’t fall asleep. The irony. With Shine it just does it automatically (detecting when I fell asleep and when I woke up)- If needed, you can easily fix the hours in the app.  I'm still trying to understand the deep vs. light sleep data.

* NO CHARGING. THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST FEATURE is the fact that I don’t ever have to charge it. I’ve worn mine for MONTHS at a time!

CONS

* NO HEART RATE MONITORING. While the Shine pretty much does everything else that all the other devices do (steps, distance travelled, calories, sleep, food) and I’m no data freak but this is actually pretty important to me. But then again none of the other products I’ve used do heart rate either except for my running watches (I used Suunto and Polar) but you can't really use them on daily basis (and you need the chest band).

* NO STAIR COUNTING. I really liked it about the Fitbit (for as long as they lasted), not that it was all that accurate but at least it had it.

* TAPPING SOMETIMES DOESN’T WORK. To see the clock or your activity level, you have to double tap the device...but it doesn’t always work, and you need to keep tapping...

* APP DOESN’T HAVE REAL FOOD MONITORING. You can take pictures of your meal and it’ll save it to your timeline but there’s no way to annotate with calories, etc (not really all that useful). On my Fitbit app I could record all sorts of stuff. Now I'm using another food tracking app.

* APP DOESN’T DO ANYTHING ON ITS OWN. If you don’t have a device, the app is useless. At least with my Fitbit I could use the app on its own as a stepcounter.

* APP DOESN’T HAVE LIFETIME / MONTHLY TRENDS. I can only see my data day-to-day and week-to-week but that’s it. No monthly charts, no lifetime points, nada. Given how long I’ve been wearing it, it seems like it could actually be really useful.

* APP DOESN’T DO HYDRATION TRACKING. A feature I never understood about the Fitbit app (I could track how often I was drinking...really?)

* APP CALORIES  REPORTING IS WEIRD. It kept saying I had expended like 2500+ calories everyday when I barely moved. Seemed totally inaccurate, but customer support said that this included my basal metabolic caloric expenditure ( that’s pretty unintuitive). I just want to know what my burn was based on my activity - that’s the POINT of an activity tracker isn’t it? Loved how my Jawbone app would report both basal burn as well as active burn so I could see both. SO, I just look at the step count data and I guess that’s fine.

* APP DOESN’T WORK WITH ANY OTHER APP. This is kind of big actually. It’s not like I use all that many fitness apps but it seems like they should at least work with some of the big ones. My other device apps all worked with Runkeeper (which is the one app I do use) and a bunch of other apps. This one: NONE. They claim to have an API but they don’t have any integrations done so what’s the point of that?

* NO WEBSITE. There’s no way to see your data on the web. You HAVE to use the app - which doesn’t show you any monthly or historical trends anyway. Not sure why they chose not to make a website. Fitbit has a website where I could log in and see all sorts of statistics.

TO SUMMARIZE: The hardware is beautiful and definitely the most comfortable of any of the devices I’ve worn (The band and magnet are great) but the software is lacking and doesn’t have some pretty basic features that my old Fitbit and Jawbone’s apps have. I'd still recommended the product (over the others), but for all of the above, it worth only 3 stars.
1414 comments|784 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2014
UPDATED following wearing Apple Watch for >1 month

When compared against Apple Watch, fitbit, basis, finis swimsense and nike fuelband, the shine still wins for a few simple reasons:

My Apple Watch has earned its place on my left hand during work hours/trips but it also competes against 3 other watches on my left hand (1) dress watch for formal occasions: Patek Philippe (2) swim watch during swims: Finis Swimsense (3) Basis Peak: for richer sleep monitoring.

Despite the addition of the Apple Watch my Misfit Shine still stays on my right hand 24 hours a day. Here's why:

(1) I don't need to worry about recharging it everyday/few days
(2) I never need to take it off since it's waterproof
(3) the smartphone app is powerful and yet easy to use and reliable and lets me compete against myself, my friends & family

Every fitness tracker I know requires that you plug it into a USB port/charge/dock to get recharged which means that you need to take it off. For the disciplined individual it's a bearable pain but for the undisciplined it eventually leads to large tracking gaps. When my wife used her Basis Watch (recently acquired by Intel) I often times found it tethered to our plug for many days... the creators designed the Basis USB cable strap to allow people to keep the watch on while connected to a USB port, but my wife wanted zero part of that and even for me (an early adopter) it felt lame doing that. With the Shine it uses a standard watch battery (CR2032) which is good for about 2-3 months, which is a much better power hassle interval. I ended up ordering these batteries in bulk since it's much cheaper than periodically picking one up at the local CVS/Walgreens,etc. Shine even provides a simple tool to pop off the back case to put in the new battery. Just make sure that you line up the misfit bow logo with the little slit & snap to close.. and you're good to go for a few more months.

The shine smartphone app syncing is the best I've seen. The latest update lets my Shine activity feed directly into Apple Healthkit so literally my right hand monitoring is also positively impacting my left hand. Most fitness trackers require that you install something on your PC/Mac or awkwardly bluetooth pair your device. For the shine, install the app on your iPhone 4S/5/5S/6/6+ or Android w/Bluetooth 4.0 or greater (eg. Samsung Galaxy S3/4/5/6/Note/Droid Razr/HTC One) and follow the simple two step instructions and you're done. Even though I'm a power user, the steps are intentionally designed for anyone to easily follow correctly. Whenever I want to check my fitness progress I can either double tap my shine to visually see how much progress I've made through out the day or if I tap the shine smartphone app it automatically begins sync'ing with my shine to get the latest data to let me know how many points/steps/miles/calories I've burned. I usually check in a few times a day on my shine and it ends up being entertaining/fun and it's most delighting when you're 100% goal is achieved after a workout. My wife & son check theirs throughout the day too! I started with mine first and then months later my wife wanted to upgrade to one and then my 12 year old son recently wanted one too so now we're a full shine household! My son wears his on his left hand since it's an elegant and modern watch too. After a double tap you see you're daily progress amongst the circle of lights and then you also can see the time in a Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) presentation style which is elegant. My son is the first kid in his elementary school to be joining the quantified self movement!

I'm a swimmer too so shine is perfect since it's at least pool depth waterproof (not just water resistant per the other reviewers) which is also important for everyone who showers/bathes :-) since you don't ever have to take it off except to change the battery. While the Apple Watch is waterproof its only waterproof for 30 minutes which isn't long enough plus I suspect that the chlorine will wear out the seals so its not worth considering repeated full water immersion. I keep my shine on my right hand all the time and on my left hand I now rotate across four different watches with the Apple Watch now dominating waking hours.

Whenever I swim, I triple tap to tag the beginning of my activity on my Shine on my right hand. It used to be that I needed to triple tap to let it know that I was going to sleep too but now they've automated this so the sleep tracking & REM (rapid eye movement) calculations are done automatically. Discovering how much or little REM sleep achieved overnight is fascinating every morning since it's a known fact that when you have deep sleep/Rapid Eye Movement (REM) you're hands also don't move, so the Shine is able to infer this accurately. For runners and walkers no triple trap is required since that's automatic too. Since not all exercise activities are created equally, the shine also lets you triple tap to let you know that you're going cycling, playing tennis, basketball or soccer. Each activity has very specific motions and so algorithmically the shine takes this into account and rewards points/calories/accordingly via the varying activity intensity levels. it's very easy to let the shine app know which activity before or after the triple tap just as long as you keep it to the same day. I always make sure the right activity is selected before the triple tap to keep things simpler when it syncs back w/the app. If you're a business traveler the shine also automatically syncs & adjusts to the new time zone as soon as your smartphone knows that it's somewhere else in the world.

Every friend I've met up with or new business contact I've made who has any desire to improve or track their daily activity levels has ordered a shine! With the shine's social board/leaderboard feature and facebook integration, we're keeping tabs on each other. There are days where my friends blow past me and there are days where I'm on top. One thing for sure... I and my family and friends are way more active and informed than we've ever been and I have the misfit shine to thank for this! I would highly recommend this to anyone!
88 comments|644 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
To date I have owned the Fitbit Flex and the Zip (twice), Jawbone UP24, and now I have the Misfit. First off, why don't I still have the others? Fitbit Flex was ugly (for the price of these trackers, appearance is not an invalid expectation) . The Zip was first washed by my husband, and the replacement was eaten by my dog (apparently, sweat is one of their favorite tastes). The Jawbone UP 24 was way to bulky on my wrist.

Functionally, all of them are competent pedometers. I wore the Jawbone UP24 along side my Misfit for a couple of weeks just to compare their readings. I did see a difference in running around the office with my hands full. The jawbone didn't count the steps as the Misfit did. Minor annoyance in the fitness grand scheme. Both tracked jogging, faster paced walking and running quite well. I returned the Jawbone because of its size. It was much to bulky to wear with my work blouses and suits. I would hide my wrist because it was such a big distraction, for me. I know many other people that are not bothered by the size in the least.

08/09/2015- This thing is amazing. It is still waterproof after a couple of battery changes. The watch function is completely reliable. The exercise tracking is great, and the sleep function is spot on. The only thing that I would recommend is buying more wrist straps. Honestly, you could not get more for this price from a tracker.

As far as other activities that I am involved in, namely swimming, the waterproof quality of the MisFit made it an obvious front runner. I LOVE tracking my laps with this device. I also love to bike, dance, Piyo, kickbox etc. and the tracking of revolutions/unconventional movement is also more accurate on the Misfit (the Jawbone barely recognized Zumba, and getting it to calculate cycling was a product placement nightmare).

The waterproof quality of the misfit is HUGE. You don't realize how many times you are soaking your hands in water throughout the day, not to mention I don't have to worry if I forget to take it off while in the shower. None of the other devices were waterproof! I was constantly paranoid that one day I would be washing dished and that would be the end of my fitness tracker.

Let's talk about the apps that all of the trackers rely on. Hands down, the Jawbone has the best app on the market! If functional and beautiful, making it a pleasure to use. The Misfit and Fitbit apps are just as functional, but not nearly as pleasant to look at. Never had a problem syncing any of them, although the Zip had the greatest lag time.

I have read that people have lost their Misfit when the band failed to keep it in place. That has not been my experience at all, and seeing that only a handful of people have reported thia I will guess that some unfortunate "lemons" happen in every product.

Also some have complained about sync time. With my Samsung 5 I have not waited longer than 45 seconds (that was after not syncing to 2 days), and the norm is 5 Mississippi's.

Over all, I absolutely love the knee jerk reaction I made in buying this tracker (I was waiting on the Jawbone UP3 which had delayed it's launch and to this date has no solid release date).

I hope this help.

~D
review image review image review image
44 comments|226 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2015
I just got the Shine last night. After reading the reviews, I was worried about it popping out, also - so this is what I did - I attached the magnetic clip to the back side of Shine, and slid the ring over the band. Now, it's on a "leash" - and hopefully if it does pop out, will still be attached! The magnet is pretty strong, so I think it will work. Just a tip for those who had the same concerns I did.
review image review image
55 comments|177 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 24, 2015
So far I like this tracker. I wanted something different and not bulky. I have an Android so I am reviewing the use with the Android App.

DEVICE:
-SHINE: it is smaller than it looks in some pictures. It is elegant, super light and discrete looking. They have updated the sports band and it is a tighter fit around the shine in order to avoid it falling off like in so many complaints. I have shacked the band and there is not way the Shine is coming off . The new sports band has a couple of holes right above and below the Shine (like in the picture). There is a video on youtube that shows you the difference of the new and old sport bands. It is super comfortable to sleep with. I forget I have it on.
-TIME: it is super easy to read the time, works just like any analog watch. One solid light for the hour, one blinking light for the minutes (if it on the 20 and it blinks 3 times, then it is 23. It works with you tapping twice and it display the time, then progress or progress then time. You can set that up in the Profile section of the App.
-SYNC: The 1st time you have to have it close to your phone to sync. After that it has to be close but not next to each other. You sync by swiping down on the App home page and that is it. The Shine lights up while synching.
-MANUAL: It is pretty simple and it comes with a chart on the recommended places to wear the Shine depending on the activity. Using the Sports Band is the most common.

APPLICATION:
They updated the Android app to 2.0 and it has many more features, some of which people used to complaint a few months ago that the device lacked.
-HOME: Activity (miles/km, calories, steps, points), Sleep (time awake, light sleep, restful sleep)
Social: you can see the stats of an average female and anyone you add as a friend.
-DEVICE: Battery life, sync, activity tagging (Walking, Running, Basketball, Cycling,Soccer, Swimming,Tennis) Wearing position (you can tell Shine where exactly you are wearing it), Show lock, Progress or Clock first), Auto sleep.
-PROFILE: status on your best day, total goals and best streak.
-MENU: Goals - you can set your goals here. Apps- see which apps you can use the Shine with (Lose It!, MyFitnessPal, RunKeeper, Walgreens, IF by IFTTT, MapMyFitness). Settings - user info and units of measure.

CONS:
No Wake up alarm/Vibrating Alarm (I believe for iphone there is a Smart Alarm which is something different and the alarm is via the phone)
No Display

None of the "CONS" bother me so far. I usually like to look at the app in my phone to get all the info. The device is a pretty nice looking and functional device for a good price. There is a review that has a comparison with Fitbit and Jawbone in regards accuracy and that impressed me.
Everyone that sees it comments on how pretty and nice it looks and how they want one lol.
In Summary, I am pretty pleased so far with it. I hope they keep bringing features to it.

+Update 4/30
After 2 weeks with the device I have to say that I still love it. It totally forget I have it on. It has no scratches or anything. It has never fall of or attempt to from the "redesigned" band. I did notice that you have to hit the surface the right way for it to light up, but it is usually not an issue. I would say it is responsible 90% of the time, I guess I just tap it wrong sometimes. I have not taken it off at all since I bought it and have not feel the need.
I love that it tells me the time, length of activity, points, miles, calories and steps each time I do an activity w/o me having to do anything. For example, if I go walking 3 times a day, it records all 3 times and gives me all of the above information for all 3 walks, pretty neat. Note that you can edit the activity if needed.
This device has seriously help me to track my daily activity and get moving, for a healthier, leaner me :D

Update 5/7
I took a bubble bath with it and it survived so it is indeed waterproof. Will see in a few weeks if it also survives the pool as it states it should. I have not take it off since I got it that is how comfortable it is. The shine have not come off the band as all.
on September 5, 2014
I bought the shine at least 6 months ago and all I can say is that its a great startup company that sticks to its word. Let me explain, when the shine first came out all it did was track steps (or swimming, running etc.) People asked to for the ability to track food, and in a sense, you now can. You can also now track sleep, which works excellent (I'll post a pic). What really makes this the only fitness tracker I'll ever use (Ive had the Jawbone UP, Nike Fuelband and a Fitbit)is that I don't have to recharge it, my last battery lasted about 4 months, and that its waterproof. Swimming is my usual cardio and I never worry about it tapping out on me.
Since they've added the MyFitnessPal integration I love it even more. It works without a problem and nicely shows how many calories I've burned. Im currently saving up for the bloom necklace as well as my fiancee wants his own Shine.

If your on the fence, give this a good look. They are constantly adding features without needing a new product, they make gorgeous accessories for the shine to fit your wardrobe, its prices very competitive, and no worries about swimming or having it on in the shower.
on April 12, 2015
This is my first foray into fitness trackers (unless you count those two dollar pedometers that break within a week.) I wasn't convinced that I would be motivated to get in my workouts by wearing one, but I was kind of interested in the sleep monitor function. The device arrived in its sleek lil package four days ago and was really easy to set up(took a couple of resets of my Bluetooth on the phone to recognize the Shine, but since that, we've been golden.) A couple of things:
1. I just went ahead and put the little strap onto the device, then connected to my watch because so many complained of it popping out...plus, the way that I have it attached, I feel like I'm keeping it from getting scratched(which always seems to happen to my watch faces.) I would be really perturbed if I got the lovely "wine" color scratched, and I kind of like the Intergalactic look of the thing. (See photo)

2. Remember to turn Bluetooth off on your phone in between syncs to conserve battery power (unless you don't have a problem with your phone going dead at the most inopportune moments, in which case I stick my tongue out at you and say "good for you".)
review image
55 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 28, 2015
I've had my Misfit Shine since May 2015 and have been wearing it everyday like a lucky charm. I really love my Misfit Shine since my fitness routine consists of 30 minutes on spin machine, 30 min swim, 60 min yoga... My shine is with me 24/7... In the pool, in the gym, in the shower... and in bed! No daily-charging required whatsoever... Only just changed my first battery a few days ago (so it's like every 3 months or so!) The reason I have it on me all the time because it is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I ordered the Bloom necklace and it is very secure... The magnet really ensure that my Shine will stay with me no matter how active I get! To monitor my spin machine... I just wrap the neck chain over my ankle... For yoga (though my Shine does really not monitor it, but allow me to log the duration) and swim I just wear it like a necklace! I absolutely love my SHINE to bits! Oh! And if you already use MyFitnessPal application... Logging your meals and calories consumed will show on your Misfit application, so you can see how many Calories you burn throughout the day and how much you consume!
review image review image review image review image