5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone has to struggle with finding themselves
Published on May 22, 2012 by lilgracielou

3.0 out of 5 stars An Honest Review
First of all, I didn't buy the book, it was given to me by the author in return for an honest review. It's about a guy writing about how he learned about sex and how he used it to his advantage to help him build his confidence. But honestly, it's more than that. The author had to deal with life changing situations when he was very young and all he wanted was approval and...
Published 12 months ago by SoniaB

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone has to struggle with finding themselves, May 22, 2012
This review is from: Misguided Sensitivity (Paperback)
5 out of 5 stars. The story of this boy growing into a man and the choices he makes are touching. Not really as much as aww how sweet but more in the it touches your soul and connects you with the story. The struggles and choices you read are so in depth that you can't help but feel the emotions running through the people in the story. As you meet each new person and learn about them you really notice we are all the same on the inside. We all really do have problems and face challenges that we don't always voice. And all we really want is to feel loved, safe and comfortable in our own skin and with those around us.

5.0 out of 5 stars "INTRIGUING, HEARTFELT, EMOTIONAL!", July 2, 2012
This review is from: Misguided Sensitivity (Paperback)
Philip Nork delivers an intriguing story that's deeply moving about a boy growing-up and all the challenges and choices he must make on his journey. A journey of good verses bad, a learning journey, and the search for happiness and acceptance. In addition, the author portrays the effect we have on others as well. This touching story tugs at the heartstrings, and is thought-provoking until the journey comes to an end. Beautifully written and the colorful characters come to life. Will he be able to find what he desires? Interesting and enjoyable read. Highly Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Forthright & Inspirational!!, September 4, 2012
Dolores Ayotte (Winnipeg, Manitoba) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Misguided Sensitivity (Paperback)
"Misguided Sensitivity" by Author Philip Nork is a wonderful, inspirational, non-fiction read. Names and places have been changed in order to protect the innocent, but nonetheless, the story is true. This author opens up his heart and soul as he shares his childhood experiences. Divorce, is far less common in the 1960's than it is today, and he is a product of a broken home. During that crucial time of developing physically, emotionally, and spiritually, taken aback by his situation he draws into himself and spends a great deal of time in his room. As an introvert, he chooses to become an observer of life and a witness to the lessons to be learned.

Philip Nork takes the time to study others, namely the females in his life, in order to become a better person. The most important ones include his mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother but it doesn't stop there. He also gives a great deal of thought to his female friends, his first girlfriend and other females who touch his life in a memorable way. He listens to them, he learns from them...because he has every desire to enhance his relationship with the people in his life. In doing so, Philip Nork becomes a sensitive and intuitive teenage boy who grows into the remarkable man he is to become.

I very much enjoyed how after he explains certain situations with females, he gives them the opportunity to explain things from their personal perspective. It is really endearing to see a male share so much of himself... his sensitivity, his desire to be accepted, his vulnerability, and his goal to understand and please those around him. There are many lessons to be learned from the voice of experience and Author Philip Nork does a great job of sharing some of these lessons with his reading audience. At times, there is pain in growing up. However, we can decide to share our pain in order to help others. Author Philip Nork has done just that!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Definite Must Read!, August 1, 2012
This review is from: Misguided Sensitivity (Paperback)
I don't know what other than to say than I was totally taken by surprise with Philip Nork's, "Misguided Sensitivity." I don't know exactly what I was expecting, but I didn't expect to find myself completely relating to Philip's sense of struggle with personal identity, insecurity, and loneliness. His retelling of his encounters with various women who taught him valuable lessons throughout his life can only be described as deeply personal and warmly sentimental. I found myself quickly flipping through the pages of the book to see what lesson or experience Philip would encounter next. One only hopes that most men would have his outlook and approach to life and relating to women. If I ever have a son I would definitely want him to read this book. It not only contains Philip's point of view, but includes actual snippets from the various women who impacted his life, and how their relationship impacted theirs. This was a very enjoyable book, and I took from it Philip's bits of wisdom he picked up along the way. This book can be read by men and women alike. There are some true gems of insight to be garnered from this book. I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lessons, March 14, 2014
One of the most important lessons that I learned in life was not to judge a book by it's cover. The cover is a beautiful cover, but the title made me a little hesitant to read the book.

As I read it, I found myself interested in the story and the lessons that were being taught at the end of each chapter. Even as I came to realize that I was enjoying the pace of the book and the storyline, I soon realized that Philip's book was not predictable at all. I found myself reading the book from start to finish and having to pace myself to get a full understanding of the messages that I was reading.

This book is very easy to read, enjoyable, and full of life's lesson that we sometimes take for granted. I started looking from a point of view that I would like for others to see when they have any type of relationship with me. I guess I could say that I have some of the macho characteristics that Philip described in the book and by reading about the feelings that women have or how they think in certain situations, I began to see mistakes that I have made in my own life and how to avoid these mistakes in the future.

This was a very good book. I personally recommend that men, women, and teens to read this story to see things from his perspectives that they might be using and look at these situations so that they might see things.

Dream 4 More Reviews,
Emmanuel Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Our truths explored, May 1, 2013
This review is from: Misguided Sensitivity (Paperback)
Ever since the advent of the "confesson" novel, memoirs have become big business. Everyone from the latest celebrity to the neighbor's hamster has one out. I approached Philip Nork's with caution. A boy's journey based on real events. A familiar road here?

By the end of chapter one, my fears fell away. By the end of chapter two, I was swept up in the poignancy and power of Nork's writing. Yes, the novel is based on the author's life. Yes, it's about subjects of which we are quite familiar. Divorce, isolation, fear, rejection. But Nork's handling of these subjects brings us back to universal themes that we can all identify with at some point in our lives. He elevates this journey beyond the specific of his life. He weaves a tale connected to each and every one of us.

In its most simple description, this book is about a boy's journey through the pain of childhood. But it's about far more. It's about those truths that cannot be put into a blog, a review, or a blurb. They are the truths of life. The truths of self-discovery. Our truths.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, emotional, raw, April 22, 2013
When you are facing hardships, struggles, and pain, you often feel alone. There is not a soul out there with whom you can identify with and share. Philip Nork's novel MisGuided Sensitivity is just the thing to turn to when those feelings of isolation strike. Delving into his past (with a few names changes to protect privacy), Nork bares his soul in all its touching emotion. His childhood fears, pain, and hopes shape him into adulthood and the journey is a powerful one. The heartbreak of divorce in a time when it wasn't the norm, Nork moves us through his introverted world as he struggles to understand his reality. Women begin to figure prominently in his life and his exploration of the male/ female relationship and dynamic is particularly poignant. Life's lessons are hard, but Nork reminds us that there is light at the end of the tunnel. The battles we face strengthen us for what comes and the hope that lies within.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Ballad of Love and Roses, April 6, 2013
This review is from: Misguided Sensitivity (Paperback)
A yellow rose for Lisa whom he met at the bowling alley and grew up with. Red and white roses for Mary, the first girl he thought he might be falling in love with. A yellow rose for Joyce who was a lover of women but relied heavily on Phil. And of course a red rose for Star, the one who... Well, to be honest, you need to let him be the one to tell you this ballad of beauty, women you could talk to and be friends with, and the meaning behind a gift of roses. In his book Misguided Sensitivity, Phil Nork takes you through a variety of very touching, sensitive, and warmly portrayed women that helped to shape his life as a man. From his divorced mother and nurturing grandmother, to the first date, and the first love, he takes us on a journey of growth, development as a person, and deepening of understanding across the broad and varied landscape of real-life relationships.
The book is very frank and open, giving us insight into the mind of a sensitive man who cares more about the woman than he does himself. He shares with us the life lessons he learned along the way, listing them for us in a slowly built set of rules for living. You need to read it for yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Misguided Sensitivity, March 14, 2013
Misguided Sensitivity
This is a well written and thought out book with many interesting and poignant insights. Having said that I was completely flummoxed as to how to review it. 'Real Fiction' is not a genre I have ever read before and at first I found it difficult to relate to the story and kept switching between two perceptions. One was to read the book at face value which did not work for me as I was finding it too much like a 'Guide to Life' type manual. However, the other, and more preferred viewpoint was to read it as an autobiographical fiction. Once I had decided to view the text from that perception I found it much more rewarding, enjoyable and insightful. For those who enjoy a heartfelt story of a troubled soul gleaning pertinent insights into relating to others, this is a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, February 18, 2013
This review is from: Misguided Sensitivity (Paperback)
MISGUIDED SENSITIVITY captures the experiences the author had during his lifetime. He tells his stories of things which impacted his life, from the good and bad choices that he made to the choices that others made. He tells in tender detail about divorce, being nervous at school, friendship, and dating. He tells some wonderful stories that are very heartwarming and must be very fond memories for the author. I found this book truly enjoyable.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Misguided Sensitivity
Misguided Sensitivity by Philip Nork (Paperback - May 9, 2012)
$15.99 $14.39