Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Miss Brain's Cool Math Games, Level 1
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on November 16, 2012
This is the best book I've come across for this age group. The classic book on this subject, Family Math, is usually too advanced (or too easy in the case of Family Math for Young Children: Comparing) as are most other math games books. This definitely fills a need in the world of math game literature. We love it and a lot of the games are ones I've never seen before - such as a treasure hunt for coins buried in rice.
on October 27, 2012
We are a homeschooling family, and have been using Miss Brain to supplement our math studies. I can't say enough good things about it. The subject material and difficulty level is spot on for the grade level. I love how she gives suggestions to make the games harder or easier. I love that my son doesn't even realize that he is practicing his math skills, because the games are so engaging. Even my younger son, 4, wants to get in on playing the games. Well worth the small investment!!!
on October 1, 2012
Miss Brain's Cool Math Games is great for both parents and teachers alike. I have an enrichment position at a K-8 elementary school as the math coach for grades K-3. In addition, I am the mother of 3 young adults, so I can certainly remember working on math at home with my kids.
This books is well organized into 7 general areas that children in grades 1-2 cover: counting, addition, subtraction, place value, money, fractions and multiplication. Each area has an overview with an explanation of such important concepts as number sense. In the introduction the author, Ms. Pearson, also states that these games are not to be used to teach a concept, such as odd and even number, but are for reinforcement once the concept has already been introduced.
The games themselves are very easy to get ready. The only things needed might be dice, a deck of cards, and additional materials are in the appendix for reproducing, such as fraction bars.
I love the back of the book. There are many great things back there, including a wonderful glossary of math vocabulary terms, and plenty of reproducibles.
VINE VOICEon January 15, 2013
My granddaughter is in first grade, and one of her homework assignments each week involves parental interaction in the area of math facts. This book has a huge assortment of fun games that are aimed perfectly at this age group, and are a spectacular resource for reinforcing what she is learning in school.

You will likely find all of the tools you need right in your own home! Well thought out ideas that are easy and practical for parents.
on April 8, 2014
I love everything about this book. The lessons are easy, effective and fun. It truly does turn math into play time. In addition the book is easy to lay on the copy machine. I recommend this book to anyone home schooling, bolstering what is learned at school, or giving extra help to those in need. Enjoy!
on January 13, 2013
If your child is struggling with elementary math, then this book of math games will quickly remedy the problem and set your child on the road to success. As a tutor, I plan to use these games in my lessons with Grade 1 to 2 students, along with their more traditional exercises. The games cover number sense, counting, addition, subtraction, place value, money, fractions and multiplication. Young children think in concrete rather than abstract terms, and these games help them to see what numbers mean. Each topic is introduced with an overview for parents, to help them understand what their children need to know before they play the games. This overview is followed by several fun games to help practice and reinforce the math concept being studied. For more able children, each game has an extra challenge to master. The rules of each game are easy to follow, and the materials needed are simple items such as pencils and paper, dice and counters. I have three grown boys, the youngest of whom I homeschooled, and I wish I had a book of math games like this one when my own children were young. These math games will not only give your children more confidence in math, but will also give them a love of the subject.
on July 4, 2013
I purchased this book (Kindle version) late last Summer and only got a chance to read it this Summer - wish I'd had time to read it during the school year. This book offers some really great math center games which will reinforce math skills. The best part is Miss Brain gives us games which use supplies we already have in our classrooms - playing cards, dice, pencil and paper - she includes printable copies of number lines, hundreds chart, place value mats. I started Friday math centers last year and loved them - I plan on doing more this year and Miss Brain just made it a whole lot easier with age appropriate learning games!
on February 19, 2013
This books is filled with fun games to help kids with math (without the kids even being aware you're doing it). You will even get a new perspective on some of the math skills your kids need, without spending an hour trying to figure out how to "do" their homework. Just help them before they get to those problems and they will be ready to learn in school! Help them early , before they need help! Games are a good way for the family to play together on rainy, cold, super hot....days and evenings! Even in the evenings, after they get their homework done, the family can play some of these games!
on October 28, 2012
As a parent and teacher, this book is a great addition to our homeschool curriculum. The format allows for finding the skills we want additional practice in easily and can be used with any math curriculum. My first grader loves games and when it is math related, it's a double bonus. This book uses items we already have around the house, so it's easy to augment a lesson with a fun way to practice new skills and review learned ones. I highly recommend Miss Brain's Cool Math Games to homeschoolers and traditional-schoolers alike because learning and practicing math skills while enjoying the task reinforces skills that are mastered, and elementary mathematicians emerge with a love for the subject matter and all its applications. It is a resource that will be used again and again without the consumability and boredom of a workbook.
on September 21, 2012
I have a second grader, and we've used this book for the past year as an excellent "vitamin supplement" in addition to my son's regular diet of math at his public school. He enjoys the games so much he doesn't realize he's learning math! I really wish his math homework from school could be this enticing and fun.