Facility Spring Cleaning BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Blue October Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Format: DVD|Change

on February 4, 2009
This unusual romantic comedy romp, which is also known as "Miaou/Minoes", is a FUN movie! Fans of "Bringing Up Baby" (Cary Grant/Katharine Hepburn) would probably enjoy this. It has an adorable female lead- the bewildered cat-that-has-become-a-human, artfully acted by Carice van Houten in a most fascinatingly feline way; a bumbling yet romantic male lead- the hapless reporter (played by Theo Maassen), blinded by his own sudden success, who doesn't recognize the treasure he's got until he almost loses her; his cute little girl neighbor- a truly refreshingly sympathetic child character rather than a syrupy-sweet or obnoxious one; a crusade against a sneaky two-faced comic-book-style villain who is abusive to animals- complete with a walloping defeat of the baddie that is bravely and satisfyingly accomplished by the innocents themselves; hilarious dialogue coming from the moving mouths of real cats with funny yet somehow almost believable action; never a dull moment, with a tremendously happy ending! It's light but engaging, full of action and offbeat comedy, and NOT a kiddie movie- my husband and I love it! The quality of the cinematography is not the best, and it has a definite "filmed in Dutch and dubbed in English" feel, but don't let that deter you from enjoying this somewhat zany romantic comedy.
on April 29, 2012
Miss Minoes, which was released theatrically just a few months ago, is a wonderful film to serve as an introduction to foreign cinema for children. The upcoming DVD will release with two audio tracks: One is the original Dutch with English subtitles and the second is a well done English dubbing. This permits children to choose how they might want to listen to it. The theatrical was in English and my 11 yr old and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The story is of a feline who turns into a young woman and befriends a journalist who is in desperate need of news to keep his job. The feline/woman enlists the help of the local cats who begin to serve as a news gathering service.

The premise of Miss Minoes is adorable. The cats are adorable and the story line is well paced for 7-12 year olds. If you happen to be a fan of Russian Blues, even better, as there is a host of kittens.
on June 13, 2005
This is a must-see for all lovers of children's literature & film and should be added to all cat-lovers' lists. The adaptation of the Dutch children's classic by Annie M.G. Schmidt, the creator of Jip and Janeke (pronounced yip and yAn-uh-kuh), is both stunning and creative. Minoes (pronounced Mee-nOOse) is played brilliantly by Clarice van Houten, who studied with a dancer to immitate closely the movements of cats. The story is as enchanting as all of Annie Schmidt's work, and will mesmerize children and adults of all ages. My two and a half year old can't get enough of the talking cats, and I was transported back into a childhood state of awe the first time I saw it on an intercontinental KLM flight! This is a classic film not to be missed.
on June 3, 2005
I saw the movie as part of a Family Films series at the Seattle International Film Festival several years ago and fell in love with it. I have been looking for a copy with English dubs or subtitles ever since! Looks like somebody in Canada has finally released it and I couldn't be more pleased. If you are a fan of the film 'Amelie,' - as I am, I can't imagine you not liking this one. Such an inventive plot with great acting from both the humans and the cats, and a great movie for kids as well.
on January 30, 2007
A very entertaining dutch comedy, based on a very popular children's book I haven't read. A cat turns into a woman after coming across some chemical stuff spilled from a barrel. She finds herself transformed into a woman on the rooftops of her small town. Eventually, she takes refuge in the apartment of a struggling but honest reporter, and through her ability to communicate with her fellow cats, she helps him expose a case of local corruption (a scoop that saves him from being fired from his newspaper). This movie wouldn't work as well as it does without the charming Carice Van Houten performance as the titular woman/cat. Theo Massen's performance as the shy reporter is also great.
on November 2, 2008
I first saw this at the National Film Theatre in London, and it was screened with subtitles. I've been trying to find it on DVD in the original Dutch ever since, and I was very reluctant to buy a dubbed version.
However, I finally gave in and bought this because it is such a sweet little film that I really wanted to see again. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the dubbing is very sympathetic to the original, for example, none of the names have been changed (my two cats were a whisker away from being called Minoos and Jakkeposse) and at least they all have European accents!

The only thing I would say is that the American title "Undercover Kitty" is awful, what's wrong with just sticking with the main character's name Minoos?
on October 21, 2012
I am so happy that I stumbled across this movie. It is so refreshing and incredibly endearing. It is from Holland. Having watched it made me realize how I fee that most U.S. movies directed at children and other innocents are twisted and pathological. What happened to the movies which taught empathy and love for other species as "Bambi" did? I value respecting of animals very highly and this movie advocates good inter-species relations. I volunteer with an animal rescue community and everyone who has seen it so far has felt utterly transported to a sensitive, kinder reality by it. Our children and adults need to see these attitudes modeled for them. We are playing it for the children in our educational groups.
on January 15, 2010
I don't know a lot about dutch cinema, haven't even seen a lot of dutch movies, but a lot of the dutch films I have seen (specially comedies) seem to me to be consistently great, generally commercial but very entertaining and thought provoking. This is apparently based on a very popular children's book I haven't read. A cat turns into a woman after coming across some chemical stuff spilled from a barrel. She finds herself transformed into a woman on the rooftops of her small town. Eventually, she takes refuge in the apartment of a struggling but honest reporter, and through her ability to communicate with her fellow cats, she helps him expose a case of local corruption (a scoop that saves him from being fired from his newspaper). This movie wouldn't work as well as it does without the charming perfomance of Carice Van Houten (she starred in Paul Verhoeven's Black Book) as the titular woman/cat. Theo Massen's performance as the shy reporter is also great.
VINE VOICEon December 13, 2015
If you've read the book, The Cat Who Came in Off the Roof, you may not find this movie as charming as the original story. It's set in a more modern time period, has some profanity, and the actor who plays the reporter is not very appealing or believable. Yeah, sure, that's a timid sort of guy. The actress who plays Minoes, however, is very good, and the talking cats are a lot of fun.
on February 22, 2013
This is a dubbed version of a foreign children's film about a cat that becomes a woman and helps a shy newspaper man find stories. The dubbing made the whole thing a bit "off," but it was okay overall. The story itself was decent enough, if a bit boring. We did not get too far in the weeds about a cat becoming a woman, though some of the things she had to handle were addressed. Overall, it was pretty good, but cannot say I liked it that much. Pleasant enough though.