5.0 out of 5 stars Love this Guy
Published on February 24, 2011 by Focker

3.0 out of 5 stars Amos Lee/ Mission Bell
Not as immediately likeable as his previous albums- not as much soul feel, but he is still one of the greatest singer/storytellers making music today
Published on April 3, 2011 by Laura

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this Guy, February 24, 2011
This review is from: Mission Bell (Audio CD)
So back a few years ago, I'm watching this chick flick with Mark Ruffalo and Reese Witherspoon. I don't recall the name of it, but it was the one where she was a ghost or something and he bought her old apartment. Who knows. Anyway, about 2/3 of the way through the movie, this song is playing that I find myself really enjoying. After disregarding the remainder of the film, I paid attention to the credits until I saw the listing for a song that seemed to resemble the lyrics I'd heard. There it was - "Colors", performed by Amos Lee. Amos Lee? Never heard of the guy. The next day, I headed out to a nearby Borders and found his self-titled first album. I figured what would happen would be the same thing that always happens...I love one, maybe two tracks off a CD and don't really care for the rest. Well, as I drove home I found myself really connecting with song after song. Before I knew it, I had reached the end. As much as I loved colors, I found myself moved even more by a few of the other tracks - particularly "Arms of a Woman".

Well, it's now several years later and Amos Lee has become my favorite musician ever...I've seen him play locally to a packed Variety Playhouse here in Atlanta, and I've certainly purchased each of his four albums. My favorite is still Supply and Demand, but Mission Bell is another wonderful effort. It's been a while since this happened, but I had a very emotional reaction when I first heard "Violin". This is truly a beautiful song. I wanted to know a little more about the inspiration behind it, and I found an NPR clipping where Amos talks about it. He said that he wrote it a year ago during a very cold January. He was feeling somewhat isolated at the time, had been a while since he'd been in a relationship, etc.

I hope my boy Amos is making beautiful music for many years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Intimate And Expansive Sounding Album"., January 25, 2011
M. Mariba "the teacher" (pretoria, south africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mission Bell (Audio CD)
This is a very intimate, yet expansive sounding CD release by the talented native of Philadelphia (PA) singer-songwriter Amos Lee, titled 'Mission Bell". This excellent CD release is the fourth album by the talented musician inspired by soul great artists including Stevie Wonder & Bill Withers. Amos Lee describes this album as an expression of Love, Loss (he recently lost his grandfather, inspiring him to write the great track "Jesus") & Hope. He expresses these in a great soulful voice. Wonderful tracks include "Flower", "Clear Blue Eyes" (a great folk-soul track featuring the great Lucinda Williams), "El Camino", "Violin" & "Learned A Lot". In the track "Jesus", he sings about the loss of his grandfather (song written the day he died), pleading "Oh, Jesus, can you help me now, 'cause I've never felt so alone). The great folk-soul/blues rock expansive sound of this great album is credited to Joey Burns (the producer). There is no weak track on this album to really talk of. On overall, this is a fantastic CD release by the talented singer-songwriter, Amos Lee, a highly recommended CD listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Talent!, May 25, 2011
This review is from: Mission Bell (Audio CD)
I have a *mild* obsession with music and own a vast, eclectic collection of albums and CDs. No doubt there are a lot of great artists. But now and then a singer manages to crawl under my skin and raise goosebumps from the soul. Amos Lee is one of those artists. He offers listeners naked emotion with each word he sings. He has great vocal range and the ability to capture me equally with his power and his whispers.

Amos Lee is also one of those rare singers who is even better live than on a recording. If you ever get the chance to see him perform, don't hesitate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amos is moving forward, February 8, 2011
This review is from: Mission Bell (Audio CD)
"Mission Bell" is in my opinion, the most mature of any of Amos Lee's albums. He brings in some great talent to sing with him, Willie Nelson, and Lucinda Williams. He uses maracas and some other instruments in the songs, bringing a different sound to the album, that doesn't rely strictly on his voice or guitar. Also, Amos' voice sounds like it's getting better. He has a great voice, don't get me wrong, but for some reason I believe it sounds EVEN BETTER on this CD than his previous albums. If you like his music, you will be impressed. If you are new to Amos Lee, I would suggest starting with his first CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Winner from Amos, February 13, 2011
This review is from: Mission Bell (Audio CD)
Singer/Songwriter Amos Lee has come out with another winner CD. His latest CD includes musicians such as Willie Nelson and Lucinda Williams who add depth and more character to his already deep music. I don't know how this guy continues to knock out great music with such ease. When you listen to Amos, you can feel his attachment to his music and that is what draws you in. He isn't just singing a song. He's telling you something about himself and that is where the connection is made. Another winner by Amos.

5.0 out of 5 stars HOLY SMOKES!! Seriously good voodoo...., May 20, 2011
This review is from: Mission Bell (Audio CD)
The first time I heard Amos Lee's "Windows Are Rolled Down" on my car radio, I clutched my heart and had to pull over to the side of the road. His voice and lyrics are so powerful and pure that they pierce your soul before they even have a chance to sift through your thoughts! Suddenly you are lifted with this truth: Life is painful yet oh so very beautiful... Words like "intimate," "soulful," and "expansive" don't even begin to describe this extraordinary cross between Sam Cook, Bill Withers, Neil Young, and Tom Waits. Where on earth did Amos Lee come from? Well, after listening to the entire Mission Bell album, I'll tell you where: Somewhere at a crossroads, Robert Johnson wrestled with an angel for a blessing (the devil had already taken his due), and ol' Robert Johnson finally won--so he came back reincarnated as Amos Lee. Every track on this album evokes love, longing, loss, and Lee's special brand of brave, tarnished hope (or as Lee puts it, "My new-found faith in my broken heart"). I honestly think I will take his heartbreaking lyrics with me to my grave, they're so beautiful. If you need a special tonic for these times that we live in, Lee's honest words and haunting voice might not cure what ails you, but they will do something even better--they will make you feel UNDERSTOOD. Now that's some special kind of voodoo....

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of Delights, March 15, 2011
Lizzie C. (Kansas City, MO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mission Bell (Audio CD)
Wow. This is the third Amos Lee CD I've purchased, and he just keeps getting better.
If you like bluesey-rock, folk, Americana, or just know-it-when-you-hear-it good music, check this out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mission Bell is an excellent new album by Amos Lee., January 25, 2011
This review is from: Mission Bell (Audio CD)
I love this new music from Amos Lee. I would say that he is primary a blues singer, but he can sing country too. One thing is certain. He is talented musician that can move listeners with his voice and his guitar. He plays the guitar so effortlessly. My favorite track is the upbeat love song "Flower". His vocals are so good on this song. This tune puts me in a good mood. Amos creates a soulful tone with his guitar on the track "Jesus". This song sounds groovy. Amos teams up with country singer Lucinda Williams on the song "Clear Blue Eyes". Their voices sound great together. I like this song a lot. "Learned Lot" is a tune about lessons learned in life. This song has a beautifully subtle tone. I like the lovely piano playing here. "Windows Are Rolled Up" is a hopeful sounding song. "Out Of The Cold" is a slower song in tempo and the tone is pretty bleak on this song. I like it though. There is a wisdom in his voice that really comes across in this track. Willie Nelson joins Amos on the song "El Camino". This song is about leaving a loved one behind. It has a spiritual quality to it that I like. "Hello Again" has a sensual tone to it. I like the piano playing and the horn playing on this song. This is one of my favorite songs on this disc. "Violin" is a song sbout trying to achieve inner peace. This song is very soothing. "Cup Of Sorrow" is a track with a good country tone to it. "Mission Bell" is a very satisfying album from album from Amos Lee. Every track is so moving.

5.0 out of 5 stars Majestic, August 7, 2011
This review is from: Mission Bell (Audio CD)
Any sane person could not help but be moved by the power, soul, and majesty in these songs. First melding of Pop and High Art since U2's Joshua Tree/Achtung Baby, or maybe the Beatles. Has the majestic spirit and sonics of Simon and Garfunkel at their best. Got me to write a review for Amazon.....

5.0 out of 5 stars love this guy, March 27, 2011
This review is from: Mission Bell (Audio CD)
This was my first foray into Amos Lee! What a pleasant surprise!!!
His music is beautifully written and easy to listen to. It was easy to become addicted to him and I have now purchased all his other cd's.
Well worth a listen!!!!!

Mission Bell
Mission Bell by Amos Lee (Audio CD - 2011)