4.0 out of 5 stars 2 out Of 3 Aint Bad
Published on November 18, 2006 by P. Svensen

For anyone who doesn't already own the previous Blu-ray release of this trilogy, then now is the time to buy - But there's a caveat.

But first, the quality of the films:

Published on January 1, 2012 by jzupan829

3.0 out of 5 stars Is Getting Three Films For Such A Low Price Mission: Impossible? Apparently Not... But There's A Catch..., January 1, 2012

But first, the quality of the films:

Mission Impossible is a very well crafted film. It has action, appropriately placed jokes to break the tension once in a while, and believe me, this film does a great job at keeping the tension palpable, and the acting is great all around. It actually even adhered to the original series method of storytelling to a certain degree. Top notch film for anyone who's a fan of suspense and action.

Mission Impossible II... meh. I enjoyed it for what it was, a mindless popcorn action flick. Directed by John Woo (Broken Arrow/Face-Off), the M:I formula is thrown out of the window, the character of Ethan Hunt is transformed into a cocky arrogant, and the only thing remaining is lots and lots of action, which has a tendency to be a little hard to swallow at times. That being said, it's still fun to watch. This is pure action eye-candy, and if you're OK with that, you're going to have a lot of fun. If not, well...

...The Mission Impossible III at least comes in to save the franchise. Directed by JJ Abrams (Alias, LOST, Star Trek), this film is a true return to form. A great story that's paced out evenly and some mindblowing action. Personally, it's still a shade under the original, but this film holds its own very well.

The best thing about all three films is that they're all seperate entities for the most part, meaning, you don't have to see any film before you see the other.

Now, back to that 'caveat' I was talking about - The audio. It's all LOSSY audio, which is fairly inexcusable for a Blu-ray in this day and age. Yes, it's true that this boxed set has the same exact encodes in video and audio the original releases had, and that was pretty early in the HD game, but that's STILL no excuse. The studio really should have just taken the lossless audio and made a new encode for this release. So, what now? Does the studio give us 'proper' releases after the fourth film hits Blu-ray? My personal opinion is this - If they release a four film boxed set at that time, you're not going to get anything new from the original trilogy. So you may as well pick this up now. After all, the price is pretty stellar.

4.0 out of 5 stars 2 out Of 3 Aint Bad, November 18, 2006
I am not going to bore people with what the plots on these 3 movies are about as I think we all have a reasonable grasp of them. What I will say about the HD-DVD boxset is that MI2 and MI3 are both spectacular examples of this high definition format. They excel in both the video and audio transfers, I think they would have been par excellence if they had of included a TrueHD audio track.

The one down point to this set is the original MI HD-DVD, the ball was dropped on this one with a sub par video transfer which at times was so out of focus that it was not funny. The audio, while not jaw dropping, was acceptable.

4.0 out of 5 stars New Packaging, Same Old Discs, December 11, 2011
I was a bit dissapointed to find out that the so called "Extreme Blu-Ray Trilogy" edition of the Mission Impossible films was nothing more than a repackaged original Blu-ray discs . The specs and artwork of the discs are exactly the same as the ones previously released, the only change is that the BD case artwork is different as well as the box. If you already have the previous trilogy box set there is no need to "upgrade", or better say "downgrade", since M:I 3 only comes with 1 disc instead of 2 as the previous set.

If you never had them, go ahead, make the purchase, even better, Best Buy have them for $19.99 this week, and they include a $10 coupon for Ghost Protocol, so in essence you will end up spending only $10 for a 3-BD Box set. Not a bad deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great price on 3 movies, December 1, 2011
While it is true that retailers are trying to leverage the upcoming movie to bump sales on this item, who can blame them? For under $30, I get three blu-ray movies. Great price, and they put me in the mood for the newest release. I can't agree with the other reviewers who gig this movie just because there's a new movie on the way. Buy it if you want. Don't if you don't. For me, it seemed like a good buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good set, sub-par blu-ray transfer, January 10, 2012
For the price, this set is totally worth it. But to be completely honest I would not have minded paying a little extra for a better remastering of the first two films. The transfer for the first two films is not bad, but it isn't great. There is still a soft and grainy quality to the movies. For a blu-ray, this should not be an issue. For those of you who say that the age of the film is a factor, I invite you to watch Blade Runner on blu-ray. You will be amazed. Now keep in mind that Blade Runner is about 30 years old already, and the remastering of this movie looks A LOT better than the transfer for Mission: Impossible 1 or 2. I suppose I can't complain much since I paid 20 bucks for this set, but still. These are great movies, they deserve a better transfer.

4.0 out of 5 stars All 3 Movies on Blu-Ray Only For $17.99 - Great Deal !!, April 12, 2012
I must admit that this package wasn't on my list to pick up as I wasn't particularly impressed when I saw all three movies at the theater. I remembered them being entertaining with lots of action but other details didn't stick with me. When I saw this just for $17.99 on Easter Sunday, April 4 I couldn't resist the temptation and ordered it.

Mission Impossible (my rating: 4 star) is actually a very decent effort and the movie is loyal to the original TV series with look and feel of it, including the storytelling style. Ethan Hunt and his team go on a mission to retrieve a list that contains the names of secret agents but the operation goes wrong and Ethan finds himself trying to uncover the list and the identity of the mysterious mole named "job".

Mission Impossible II (my rating: 3 stars) Unfortunately this movie is probably the weakest installment in the entire franchise. It is not even remotely close to the original. Actually, the basic plot line is not that terrible and there are some redeeming qualities. However, the first act is ruined by the romance between Ethan and Nyah which is built on empty dialogues, cheesy lines, not to mention the ridiculous car race scene where both cars get tangled and spin out of control. However none of this is match to what happens in the last 20 minutes of the movie which is pretty much filled with one nonsense action scene after another, cars flying in air, crashing into one another exploding, motorcycle race, Ethan and Sean riding their motorcycles toward each other and jumping in air, colliding with each other in mid-air with 80 miles per hour speed and never-ending fight sequence with lots of karate gimmicks. I understand that action movies are not always believable and they are not supposed to be realistic but there is a line and Mission Impossible 3 crosses that line by miles (John Woo may be technically a potent director with technical skills and I admit each action scene is filmed perfectly but that's not enough to make a good movie).

Mission Impossible III (my rating is 5 star). I can honestly say this movie is the saving grace of this box set. Some might rightfully argue it is even better than the first one. It is not as loyal to the original TV series as the first one is but it is very entertaining and moves with excellent speed. It has some incredible action scenes, gun fighting and explosions, but it still manages to stay within certain limits. Mission Impossible III is only second to Mission Impossible IV The Ghost Protocol which is not part of this box set.

Overall, I think this a great box set especially for $17.99. I am not sure about the criticism about the lack of lossless audio some other reviewers mention. I understand lossless (uncompressed audio) is the clearest sound available but then again there are many Blu-ray titles that don't have uncompressed audio but they still have, as all these 3 movies have, 5.1 DTS HD audio which is still great.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reality Check folks..., February 16, 2010
I see a lot of glowing reviews here for the Mission Impossible Blu-ray set. How? Why? Each disc in this set is encoded in MPEG-2 and with only a lossy DD 5.1 soundtrack. So at best here, you're only getting an upscaled DVD transfer. Well, not really, but more or less. When these are remastered to MPEG-4/AVC with lossless DolbyTrue HD 5.1 tracks, then I'll buy. Not before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Set if you like the moives, January 9, 2007
All 3 movies were restored with great care in this set. MI2 looks incredible considering when it was filmed. MI 1 looks good. Its not "HD" looking but its clearer than the dvd orig and the blacks are very good. MI3 looks true HD. Probably one of the highest resolution movies Ive seen on HD so far.

Extras are pretty lame on the first movie and not too much there on the second either. The thrid movies has quite a bit.

Overall this is a great set if you are a fan of the series. It was rated to look slightly better on HD DVD than blu ray but I havent verified this myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Set of movies and great HD Transfer, January 10, 2007
As you would expect since these movies are newer they look great on HD-DVD. I purchased the boxed set at a retail store and have been happy with the purchase - though notedly I did not have the SD versions of these discs. While Tom Cruise may arguably be overrated in these movies I think that they are well done, and the quality of them on the HD discs is impeccable. I would recommend this as a great set for someone who just got and HD-DVD player since it is a fair price for 3 great movies, and you can get a good feeling to how well the actions sequences translate to HD-DVD.

2.0 out of 5 stars Paramount drops the ball yet again.......... This time 3x, July 5, 2010
Once again Paramount takes very good (this time 3)movies and does nothing to enhance them for blu-ray release. These movies lack a lossless soundtrack and the video transfer is borderline at best. I'm going to have to do my research when it comes to movies from this house(Paramount). They should really look into remastering their products before releasing them to the public(Especially at the prices of Blu-rays). Don't get me wrong I loved the movies as such , but Paramount is giving us a bunch of almost HD products.I should have just stayed with the DVD's.

Mission: Impossible - Extreme Trilogy (Mission: Impossible / Mission: Impossible 2 / Mission: Impossible 3)
$26.99 $17.43