Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 108 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on May 25, 2005
I feel this book is a must read for any mom! I've read several parenting books, many of which focused on the area of discipline. This book was an awesome balance, because it focuses more on demonstrating love to your children, giving practical ways in order to do this. For example, in one chapter she talks about getting up early every so often and running to the store to pick up her family's favorite fancy danishes for breakfast, or taking the time to give your child a backrub or foot massage. They sound like obvious ideas, but I have to admit I've never done them. The days get busy, and I don't think about doing something like that.

She also gave me ideas to make my home more inviting and cozy for my children. Examples include using candles, nice music, etc. These are all things that I have and think about when company comes over, but don't necessarily think about doing for my own family.

Overall, this book just reminded me of the importance of showing your children how much you just love being with them, and ways to keep them close to you and your husband.
11 comment| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2004
Wow, what a blessing this book has been to me. I started reading it after the birth of my second daughter. I had two under two and in diapers. I was overwhelmed and questioning "what am I doing at home". This book was like a refreshing breeze to my soul. It helped me focus on my relationship with Lord and what my true calling was. God Bless Sally Clarkson for writing this book, God used her to bless me, my children and my husband; and change my life and perspective forever. Thanks Sally!
on July 23, 2004
This book is wonderful, and it has made a huge impact on my life. It's encouraging and uplifting. It's a timely reminder of the God-given duty we moms have to put the needs of our little ones first, because in doing so we are serving God. Living in a culture that emphasizes "me, me, me," Clarkson's message is a breath of fresh air. It reminds us that childhood is a short period of time, and we must make this most of this opportunity to train and teach our children to prepare them for adulthood. The book is well-written and organized, touching on all topics relevant to motherhood. It has practical solutions and offers ideas that really work. Assignments and disucssion questions with Scriptural references end each chapter. I highly recommend The Mission of Motherhood.
on November 25, 2011
I bought this book for myself and then I purchased another as a gift for a friend. I read the reviews beforehand and was a little worried that I would feel like I was being preached to about my "place" (which would really get under my skin!). Instead of feeling guilty as a mother, it actually made me feel proud for every little thing that I do as a mother.

I really felt like Sally Clarkson tried her best to speak to both the working mother as well as the stay at home mother. Being a stay at home mom is a really hard job, and she conveys this as well as offers a lot of encouragement. It is so important that a new (or been there done that) mother to understand how important the tasks of motherhood are. It's so easy to get lost in all the chaos at home, to sit back and realize these years are so fleeting. She offers advice and draws from her own experiences on how to be a stay at home mom. In almost every household, it IS possible for the mom to stay at home. Sacrifices may need to be made, but that's what a parent is supposed to do for their children.

I personally felt that I really wished I could go back to my old job (which I felt was incredibly important) so I could be useful to my household. I struggle with feeling like I don't contribute to my home. There were so many days, and still are sometimes, where I felt like maybe my kids would have been better off with someone else as their mother. I didn't see how God wanted me to be as a mother, and I couldn't find a practical way to be a Godly mother and wife. I am not "beneath" my husband, nor his servant, and it seemed like a lot of these types of books wanted to tell me to forget about my hopes and dreams and just devote every moment to being everyone else's servant. I don't feel at all that this book says that. I was so relived to read that Sally also shared a lot of my feelings of worthlessness and how she was able to change how she looked motherhood and how she now finds it so rewarding.

This book isn't just for the stay at home mom, though I do think that they benefit the most. It's hard in todays society to remember that the stay at home mom DOES have the most important job out there. I highly recommend this book because, let's face it, the world makes moms feel like they are "settling" if they choose to stay home and raise their kids, and we need encouragement and guidance that shows us that we are certainly not settling or wasting our talents.
on September 9, 2007
I can honestly say that no book has ever inspired and motivated me more in the area of parenting. I could not put this book down and highlighted the whole thing. It is one of those books I recommend to mothers and will read again.
on February 25, 2003
My heart was touched in just reading the first few pages of this book. I feel refreshed for my mission and ministry of motherhood.
on April 10, 2007
Reading this book inspires me to try harder to be a better mother and to give my kids the best of me in the few short years that I have to mold their hearts. In this generation where so many mothers would much rather work than stay home and sacrifice their time and energy for the sake of their children, Sally Clarkson inspires those of us who have chosen full-time motherhood to hold up our heads and realize that we have chosen the most demanding and rewarding job on this earth. Sally reminds us that being a parent is a challenging job and full of opportunities for us to grow as well as our children. Through her personal tales of motherhood, she inspires us to look for the little opportunities to encourage our children and be an example for them. We do not all find ourselves with the same opportunities, but we can use our own environment and circumstances to create a home for our families that will nurture them and help them grow into responsible, caring and thoughtful Christians.
on June 27, 2004
I have never met Clay and Sally Clarkson, but they are my mentors. Of anybody I "know" (when you read peoples books, you come to know them, especially authentic authors like the Clarksons) I aspire to parent like them. This book is refreshing, and I am going to give it along with Clay's "Heartfelt Discipline" to all the new mothers I know.
on January 11, 2007
This book has been such an encouragement to me. Sally Clarkson does a wonderful job bringing to life God's Word and how we can relate it to our everyday lives as mothers. She gives great advice and creative ideas on training up our children. I highly recommend this book.
on January 21, 2004
I just want to give this book high praise. After I read it I wanted to put this in the hands of as many mothers as possible...so I started a book study group. Every mother that has read it can't believe how Sally Clarkson can crawl into their heads and know exactly how they feel and what they're going through. It's like being mentored and encouraged by a close friend. She's there holding your hand....saying you can do this....and you can do it well. Bravo!!