Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on July 30, 2009
We were given this book as a part of Sonlight's curriculum and I have read stories to the children nightly from it. They are moving stories about adversity or danger faced with great faith by God's servants in mission work. I have skipped one story (about a the murder of a father) because I felt it was too much for my children...but the rest of the stories have been excellent. Someone above referred to them as horror stories. It's an unfortunate fact that much of human activity up to this day has been horrific. And, in fact, the Heroes books contain very similar stories (Boxer rebellion, etc.). I remember vividly as a child being deeply affected by Corrie Ten Boom's story, The Hiding Place; I never forgot it. "There is no pit so deep, God's love is not deeper still." I remember her father's parable about the train ticket to this day. God gives us grace in our hour of need to face whatever we must. I think it is good for our children to be aware not only of man's inhumanity to man (for they will have to face it), but especially of God's response to it--the Cross--and thus our own, carrying His message of mercy and forgiveness to humanity. These stories are just exciting enough to rivet the children's attention, but the "mature" aspects (e.g., a reference to temple prostitution in the Amy Carmichael story) are muted a bit for the ears of children. It's a good way to pique their interest in reading more extensive missionary biographies.
on August 18, 2002
This book was recommended to us by the "Moore Foundation" and it is about the best book we have ever purchased. In fact we have bought the rest of the series which include Wisdom and the Millers and Prudence and the Millers among others. We read this to the Junior class and occasionally for Primary class for the mission story and this book is a hugh hit. Infact, whenever we read this book, folks are always wanting to know the name of the book and where they can purchase it. Now, most of the Junior class owns their own Missionary and the Millers book and I am here cruising Amazon for what I hope to be a similarly good mission book...that will be a very hard task as this one is so exceptional. If you want a really good missionary stories book, you've just found it!
on October 20, 2007
The stories in the book are fascinating and well written. Every time I read one of the stories to my six and eight year old boys, I am on the verge of tears because of the beauty and power of God that comes through loud and clear.
My children love this book more than any other in our studies. Sometimes just reading the Bible goes over their heads - the concepts of the Bible are simple, but it is not written so a child can fully understand without adult explanation. The missionary stories are perfect. They are riveting and glorify the Lord. If these stories are "horror" stories, than so is the Bible filled with such. Just leave out a sentence here and there depending on the age of your children. One of the best books we own.
on January 1, 2015
28 great stories about men and women who heard God's call to be a missionary in lands both near and far. These stories are full of adventure. They will bring joy, they will bring sorrow. Read about a fierce tribe in the jungle who revel in killing. Meet a young girl in India who works in a pagan temple. Discover how a bundle of flowers was instrumental in bringing Bibles into a communist country. Read about a women who led 100 children to safety during a terrible war. Learn the names of men and women who died giving testimony of the Lord Jesus Christ, bringing light to places of terrible darkness.

I've read this book to my kids several times. It's important for them to connect with other Christians around he world and to become acquainted with the dangerous situations in which they live. Children need to learn how to pray for missionaries and that can only come when they know those stories. My kids do enjoy these stories. This book prompted them to ask for more in-depth missionary stories and as a result we read a lot of biographies about other missionaries. I highly recommend this book.
on December 19, 2013
My kids really enjoyed this book being read to them. I am buying a copy to give to a nephew for Christmas. I hope it opens a door in his heart for missions like it has in our family. We have moved on to Hero Tales now that we have completed this book and it gives a little more information on several of the same people as this book. I am really glad we started with this book to introduce missions to our kids. They always remind me to read missions every day and my husband likes to hear them too. And it is thanks to this book being loaned to me by a sweet friend!
on June 17, 2013
This book is a God sent, my daughter and I read it all the time, on driving trips, bed time stories, whenever I have time too. The stories are so convicting, you can't help but ask yourself, what am I doing to serve Jesus?
Get it, you won't regret it, it will enrich your life, and hopefully, persuade you to serve Jesus more boldly than before.
on November 26, 2015
Shortened stories of missionaries. Perfect bite-sized bits even for kindergarteners, though you may want to check the content before you read it to the youngest ones, as some missionaries in the story were martyred.
on December 15, 2013
We have read all of the Miller books with the kids and this is the favorite by far. The whole family loved these stories of real life missionaries in the field. This should be a addition to any family library.
on March 1, 2013
These missionary stories are quite fascinating. There are a few dozen stories in this book. Some of the stories are well known (like Jim Elliott's martyrdom) while most others would otherwise be lost if this author hadn't retold them in this book. Appropriate for all ages, though a few stories do deal with death so you may want to filter them first with very young listeners. Enjoyable book that can lead to great discussions with your kids about faith, courage, thankfulness, God's empowerment, etc.
on December 30, 2013
It's is inspirational to see how God works through ordinary people and the miraculous things he does for them. Sometimes a tad graphic for small children. Readers can alter the violent exploits for younger audiences. For example, in one of the stories some bad men plot to kill a good man and angels protect him; the concept of killing is too harsh for young children, so the reader could say that the bad men wanted to hurt him.