Customer Discussions > Dark Places, 1st Edition forum

Huge Mistake in Dark Places by Gillian Flynn (not a spoiler issue)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 27, 2009 10:40:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2009 10:42:59 AM PDT
Octochick says:
This is a book, which is told mostly from three different perspectives, the Mother's and her two children. It also plays up the family name, Day and it is used and referred to throughout the story. Around page 103, the Mother refers to HER parents by name, who's farm she took over with her then husband "Runner Day". She refers to them also having the last name "Day", what?
Her maiden name is the same as her married name? She later refers to her father again as "Ed Day". I started thinking there would be some weird incest twist in the story ... but no.
Much later in the book, her unmarried sister declares her last name to be "Krause". The same sister, that grew up on the same farm with the same parents? So obviously the author made a mistake... her parents would have been named "Krause" not "Day".
I am just surprised to not see any mention of this anywhere and that no editor caught it. I found it really distracting, since I thought there must be something else to the story. I have looked on the Random House site but can not really find a good way to contact the editorial department... did anyone else notice this? Did I miss something somehow?

Posted on Jul 14, 2009 12:01:05 AM PDT
Marie says:
Yep, I noticed it as well as several other mistakes and anachronisms.

Patty did mention to Len the Lender that her maiden name was Krause (means "curly hair" blahblah).

Could not believe when she said her parents' last name was Day! Big mistake by author/editors.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2009 4:35:10 AM PDT
Octochick says:
I actually got a nice email from Gillian acknowledging the mistake. It was caught first by her french editor, then me! I am sure it will be corrected for any future printings.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2009 11:48:32 AM PDT
I am in the middle of reading this book and picked this mistake up right away. It just didn't make sense. I thought the same as you, that Runner was going to wind up being her cousin or brother. Even though I'm not done with the book, I thought I'd check on amazon to see if this turn up as a mistake. Shame on her editors for not picking up this glaring mistake.

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 4:55:35 PM PDT
J. Perrotta says:
Well I guess I missed out on this one...the Kindle edition in 2012 has it fixed apparently ;)

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 1:39:55 PM PDT
T. Rohr says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 6:33:48 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 30, 2012 6:41:57 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 23, 2013 3:20:37 PM PST
I bought the Kindle edition about a year ago, after finishing Gone Girl and yearning for more! I have the mistake in my copy. I found it very distracting also.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Dark Places, 1st Edition
Participants:  7
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  May 27, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 23, 2013

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dark Places, 1st Edition
Dark Places, 1st Edition by Gillian Flynn (Hardcover - 2009)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (2,940)