4.0 out of 5 stars TWIN--WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU???
This is the 6th Lisa Scottoline book I have read and except for some loose ends and sometimes the language, I think it is the best one I have read. Bennie Rosato is a very good lawyer, she is contacted by Alice Connolly who claims to be her twin. Alice is in jail for a murder she says she did not do. Bennie takes the case and then begins to uncover a conspiracy between...
Published on January 21, 2001 by Mac Blair

1.0 out of 5 stars Not her usual fare....she's better than this!
I've read most of Scottoline's books and liked them. They're not Grisham or Turow, but they're good for a couple of nights' reading.
This particular offering, however, never pulled me into the story, nor did I for one minute believe that Bennie Rosato -- tough girl that she is -- would fall for such a con artist as her "twin" sister...the entire thing...
Published on February 15, 2000 by Terry Mathews

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars She gets you right from the start and never lets go!, April 19, 1999
This review is from: Mistaken Identity (Hardcover)
I know John Grisham, and Lisa is no John Grisham.She's better. More of a sense of humor.Deeper. "Mistaken Identity" is a primer of how a mystery should work. Benny Rosato is a real person and never wavers. The action is vivid and always surprising. It's almost as good as "Rough Justice" which I felt was the top of the genre.

1.0 out of 5 stars A DISAPPOINTING FIRST READ OF THIS AUTHOR, February 21, 2000
This review is from: Mistaken Identity (Hardcover)
This was my first, and probably last, of Lisa Scottoline's novels. I was very disappointed in the end (reminded me of Grisham's "Testament") in that there were many unanswered questions. The story really didn't live up to the review on the back cover. I won't be passing this book on to friends. A very disappointed amount of money spent and several hours wasted. I kept thinking it would get better, it never did.

3.0 out of 5 stars What Happened to DiNunzio?, April 10, 2007
This review is from: Mistaken Identity (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was alright, but at 561 pages, it should've tied up every loose end. I was completely blindsighted by the ending and it left me feeling extremely frustrated. I found the whole boxing story line unnecessary and boring. I don't think it connected smoothly to the plot or added to it. In fact, it opened up more questions concerning the boxing wives and their roles.

The story itself wasn't too believable, but it did keep my interest and I found the trial portion to be a real page turner. Bennie's character is not very likeable, in my opinion, but my main complaint about this book is the DiNunzio character. What happened to her? I've only read a couple of Scottoline's books, including her first novel, Everywhere That Mary Went, and in the first book DiNunzio was a confident, bright attorney who, along with Carrier, made partner at their firm, but planned to open their own firm. Granted, I didn't read any of the books between Everywhere That Mary Went and Mistaken Identity, but how could Mary DiNunzio have gone from being so strong, to being such a wimp? Her character in this book was so mousey, and every other line was "Catholics don't do this," and "Catholics don't do that." It was totally annoying. Her character in this book did a complete 180, which was very disappointing, because I was expecting Rosato and Associates to be a big powerhouse firm.

I will probably read more of Scottoline's books, but I hope that she allows Mary to have a personality in future books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bennie and Alice, March 3, 2011
This review is from: Mistaken Identity (Mass Market Paperback)
After reading My Nest Isn't Empty, I Just Have More Closet Space as a book club selection, I wanted to read more of Scottoline's books. They all looked intriguing, but I decided to download this one to my Kindle and started reading right away. I became so engrossed in the story that I began listening to it while driving (wish more Kindle books had the text to speech option!), and I soon found myself taking the long way home just to see what happened next. Would Bennie be killed by the young cop? Was Alice really her twin? Did Alice actually kill Valencia? What exactly was wrong with her mother, and what was the secret she was hiding? Along with the suspense were stories of love and "rightness" such as the scenes of Mary and her family. Then too, there were scenes of harshness, avarice, and pure meanness.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book and was amazed at the difference in Scottoline's "voice" when compared to the Empty Nest book. Very talented, this author can write about humor, love, vice, court scenes, and crime with equal ease. Her legal background is obvious, and I can well understand why some have dubbed her as the female John Grisham.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nearly 500 pages is way too much for this slim plot, May 28, 1999
This review is from: Mistaken Identity (Hardcover)
I have read the many readers reviews of this book and I respectfully disagree. In this book, the two associates of Bennie, the heroine, are far more interesting than she is, and much more sympathetic.It is hard to believe that Bennie's live-in-lover would put up with her total lack of interest in him. This is, of course, what you might expect with her in-your-face, all female employee firm senior partner status. As for the plot, given what Bennie knows about her "sister" (and I am being careful about giving up any of the plot, such as it is), it is impossible to understand her conviction that her sister is not guilty of the crime she is charged with. There is absolutely no information she has(or has revealed to the reader)that could lead her to that conclusion, particularly in light of the horrible, unrelated acts she knows her sister is guilty of. This is (possible)sister love, taken to its most ridiculous. Lou, her retired cop investigator, is impossible to believe. The conclusion, given all that you then know, is most unsatisfying although I understand that fairy tale endings are the usual conclusion to most thrillers. She is no Grisham, but that's OK, because his last few books have been preachy(Street Lawyer, Testament, etc)and more interested in politically correct themes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suspense thriller that you can not but down!!!, May 7, 2002
This review is from: Mistaken Identity (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was a good read and was very hard to put down. It was amazing how she intertwines all the characters in the book to be all connected to the main characters. There were so many characters that were so diverse that it was so hard to keep up with each character. However despite this the book was another stunning Bernie Rosetto book. It is a must read for who ever likes the author. However if you are not great fan of Lisa Scottline this book will definitely covert you to the other side of liking the author. This is the best book that has Bennie Rosetto as the main character of the story and shows a completely new side to Bernie Rosetto that as a reader I have never in countered. This book is brilliant and i hope that all her books will be this well written and excellent.

1.0 out of 5 stars Yes, 'Girls Rule', but not in the manner presented!, May 3, 2000
This review is from: Mistaken Identity (Mass Market Paperback)
You must love the smartly dressed receptionist in Bennie's 'all girl' firm? No, it was a fashion house, there were enough clothing descriptions through the book for me to deem it that. This is the first Lisa Scottoline novel I've read and it's, well, readable? The climax of the book was so unbelievable, Ford Exporer climbing steps? Give your head a shake. I cared nothing for the characters at that point either. Time to read a Pulitzer prize winner, perhaps a Nobel,or a Booker because I know this author's coming back with her identical twin...what will she be wearing?

5.0 out of 5 stars Legal thriller with lots of legal stuff and lots of thrills., March 30, 1999
This review is from: Mistaken Identity (Hardcover)
Bennie Rosatto's all female law firm is getting more and more interesting with each book. Bennie is tough but feminine, and is funny, too.
The plot rocks right out of the box, the dialog is right on, and the characters do the right things and get, in the twisted logic of lawyers, a good result. The book has all kinds of local stuff about Philadelphia so that even someone like me who's only been there as a tourist recognizes places. That gives the background a kind of recognition factor that adds to the enjoyment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good page-turner, December 19, 2005
Amazon Customer (Beaverton, OR, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mistaken Identity (Mass Market Paperback)
I couldn't put this book down, so that's a good sign. The characters can get a little charicature-like, which makes them somewhat annoying, but endearing at the same time. The plot kept me guessing, and the courtroom scenes were well done. As a lawyer, I think Scottoline should review her rules of evidence because there are some places where she's off, but as a reader I can suspend my disbelief and enjoy the story and the drama.

3.0 out of 5 stars Writes great dialogue but needs work on plot, July 27, 1999
This review is from: Mistaken Identity (Hardcover)
This book is easy to read but there are too many holes in the plot. Also, the ending was just tacked on leaving unanswered questions... a sequel is in the works I'm sure. This was the first book I read by this author and was especially interested because I work in Philadelphia and know the two female lawyers that she acknowledges. I'll give her next book another chance but this is only a 3-star book in my humble opinion.

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

Mistaken Identity
Mistaken Identity by Lisa Scottoline (Mass Market Paperback - February 2, 2000)
$7.99 $7.19