5.0 out of 5 stars Every patient? Really? Are we all that dense?
Published on August 26, 2010 by Dennis Grace

3.0 out of 5 stars Follow the money!
Much of what was touched on I already had did my homework on. For someone who hasn't even thought about taking care of themselves a good book.
Published 8 months ago by Vera M. Krampen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Every patient? Really? Are we all that dense?, August 26, 2010
Dennis Grace (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Bet Your Life! The 10 Mistakes Every Patient Makes- How to Fix Them to Get the Healthcare You Deserve (Paperback)
Well, yeah, I guess we are. I tried to go into this book with a critical eye, and since I consider myself a pretty health-care-savvy individual, I was ready to be insulted at being lumped in with every stupid mistake all the rubes make all the time. Well,if you're with me on that self-assured bandwagon, I think we'd better get down and take a closer look at this book.

When I consider each of Trisha Torrey's 10 mistakes honestly, I must admit that at one time or another, over the years, I've made every mistake. More important, the full title of the book (and it's long enough to make Harlan Ellison blink) tells you exactly what you're going to get from the book:

You Bet Your Life! The 10 Mistakes Every Patient Makes--How to Fix Them to Get the Health Care You Deserve.

That "How to Fix Them" is the real important part. This is a clear, easy-to-follow handbook to wending your way through the healthcare jungle. Also, the examples are awesome. Everyone should have this book.

I'm certainly not going to repeat all of Trisha's brilliant advice (she tells you how to do your own differential diagnosis--how cool is that?), but since the latter part of the title is the real meat of the book, I don't think I'm giving much away by telling you what the 10 mistakes are and why I think they really do apply to just about everyone. Now, honestly, look at these and ask yourself which ones you've NEVER made:

1) Thinking your healthcare is focused on you, the patient. Plans for your surgery were so carefully spelled out that it was easy to feel like some kind of VIP. That ends the first time a nurse comes in to check on you and doesn't have the faintest idea why you're there, or when a doctor on rounds picks up your chart and can't make out the instructions.

2) Thinking doctors put their patients' needs first. If you believe this is the case, why does the doctor always ask the same questions his nurse asked? And why won't most of them communicate with me by phone or email?

3) Not confirming your diagnosis. Have you ever accepted a diagnosis without asking for a second opinion? I have. It's easy to do when the explanation sounds rational. Remember, it sounds rational to the doctor too. She's not trying to give you a bad diagnosis.

4) Thinking you've been told about all your treatment options. I know this is true. I know that most doctors don't know ALL the options. This can be incredibly important when the doctor doing the surgery only knows one way to remove an organ, and you end up in recovery for six weeks. Later, you find out that the hospital across the road does that procedure laparoscopically, which offers a recovery time of less than two weeks.

5) Thinking you are safe in the hands of the healthcare system. If you think this, next time you're in a hospital or an in-patient rehab center, ask why some of the patients' rooms are marked "Quarantine."

6) Not understanding the reach or risk of medical records. In their brilliant 2004 exposé on medical mistakes, Internal Bleeding, Robert M. Wachter and Kaveh G. Shojania include an appendix of abbreviations that are commonly misread when written in haste. One simple example, D/C can mean "discontinue" or "discharge." Written in the wrong place, you could end up with your pharmacy refusing to fill a needed prescription because they think your doctor gave a "discontinue" order. These records are hard to get your hands on (a lot of people are fighting to change that), expensive to reproduce, and hold your life in their pages. Oh, and then there's that whole identity theft problem.

7) Spending time in the hospital when it's not absolutely necessary. We're going to keep you overnight for observation. Really? Necessary? For whom? This is the doctor's way of covering her own back acreage.

8) Using the Internet without a compass to find health information. It's easy to tell when you've done this. You can see it in the little half-smile on the doctor's face that you've found some treatment ten years out of date or that's simply from an unreliable source. I haven't done this, but my ex-wife did it--often.

9) Believing all medical researchers are searching for cures. Yeah. When I was younger, I believed in the noble scientist striving for the truth. Now, of course, I've seen the results of the Scott Reuben trials for research fraud. He signed his name to a dozen or so research papers (even added the names of colleagues who'd never heard of the research) and published the "results" in supposedly reliable, responsible, professional publications for review. Why? Well, the projects were funded by multi-billion dollar pharmacies. I wonder what his motivation might have been.

10)Letting the media determine your medical choices. The television blasts us with "Ask your doctor about..." ads. The papers tell us that this research or that offers a "miracle cure." The ads are trying to get us to help pressure the doctors for the pharmaceutical reps. The papers are trying to sell themselves with sensationalism. We all know this, but--hey--who doesn't want to believe in miracle cures?

That's the lot. I don't believe in absolutes, so I know that not EVERY patient makes ALL of these mistakes. They're all damned common, though. I forget who said it originally, I hear it all the time from patient-rights advocate Regina Holliday, but "we're all patients in the end." We all end up weak, in bed, and (if we're lucky) very old. At that point, you'll wish you had this book. Everyone needs Trisha's book. If you can't afford a copy for everyone you know, at least get one for anyone going into the hospital. You just might save a life.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Dumb Luck I'm Not Dead, October 11, 2011
I admire Trisha Torrey for her spiritual strength and willingness to share a very personal story and transform it into a guide that can keep the reader out a lot of unnecessary misery--or a grave. If you have never suffered major medical crises, reading this book can teach you the mistakes the easy way.

It's too bad I cannot mail this book back in time: I learned about Mistakes #1 and #2 the hard way in 1993. That spring, I went to my university's health clinic after learning that I might have Marfan's syndrome, an uncommon connective-tissue disorder. The nurse looked me over, ordered a chest x-ray, and gave me a clean bill of health after the x-ray showed nothing abnormal. Luckily I did not have Marfan-induced damage to the aorta. Such damage commonly escapes detection on chest x-ray--but still ruptures without warning and kills the patient. Suspicions led me to do some research; I discovered that only an elaborate series of exams and body scans can diagnose or rule out Marfan's syndrome. When I returned to the clinic with this information, the nurse acted more concerned about being right than my health.

Despite being a little wiser about rare medical disorders, I made Mistake #3: Not Confirming Your Diagnosis, later that same year. I ended up being diagnosed at a different clinic with another, less-dangerous connective-tissue disorder. Nice, except it was wrong. I let my feelings of "at least it isn't Marfan's" get in the way even though the new diagnosis left unanswered questions. That mistake turned and bit me in the...um, artery, when I had a stroke-like episode that led me back to the suspicion of Marfan's syndrome. (Cardiovascular manifestations usually occur in one's twenties but can be delayed until the forties in some patients.)

That second clinic is supposed to be proficient in the field. However, I discovered just this year that the doctor's specialty is in autism and other neurological disorders. Would you take your car to a brake shop to rebuild the transmission? I wouldn't, either.

Whatever disorder I have, You Bet Your Life has already become instrumental in realizing what went wrong (besides what I already knew went wrong) and navigating the health-care system to get proper diagnosis and treatment.

Trisha Torrey's message is refreshingly different than the common ones about personal responsibility, which focus on blame and encourage self-scolding. She quotes Dolly Parton, who said, "We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails." You Bet Your Life! is about empowerment: You're the captain of your own ship; take charge of it; here's how.

I have a Ph.D. in a biomedical field, and that helped me research and find information to tackle my conundrum. I can also attest to the soundness of Ms. Torrey's chapters on evaluating and finding scientific studies relevant to your condition. Since few patients have science Ph.D.s, these chapters are indispensible. Besides, having an advanced degree won't keep a patient from making mistakes, as I learned the hard way.

Very helpful (and important) is that Ms. Torrey does not engage in "physician/provider bashing." She pulls no punches regarding the doctor that misdiagnosed her with cancer, other than withholding his name. However, she details the problems of American healthcare from the professionals' points of view as well. The book focuses on ten top mistakes we patients make in managing our healthcare, regardless of why things go wrong.

In Chapter Eight, Ms. Torrey recommends seeking help from nonprofit charitable organizations related to your diagnosis or condition. In my case, it was one of those groups that recommended a website that led me to You Bet Your Life!

Chapters Eighteen through Twenty-three are instrumental for surviving this (mis)information age. The Internet and other media are bounties of life-saving information but also are fraught with falsehoods, errors and downright quackery. Ms. Torrey provides a fantastic crash course in critical evaluation of what you find, so you can separate what can help you from what might kill you, gyp you, or both.

If you prefer e-books, you might want to buy You Bet Your Life in a paper version as well as a back-up. E-books have their advantages (I like the search command), but this is one of those situations where a book that doesn't require batteries is a need rather than a bonus. If there were a "Mistake #11," it might be to read the book, stick it back up on the shelf and leave it there. No, this is one to consult regularly.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Bet Your Life, the bible for every patient and patient advocate!, July 19, 2010
Trisha Torrey did an outstanding job on providing priceless information for patients. Trisha's book is an excellent resource to add to your collection. The book is very easy to read, in layman's terms, and offers patients and patient advocates the map to safe healthcare. Trisha's book gets to the core of behind the scenes in the healthcare arena. She shares her personal experience of being misdiagnosed with cancer and how she herself made the correct diagnosis. Trisha's book is a vital tool for every patient and patient advocate. I am thrilled Trisha came forward to share her expertise and vast knowledge to save patient lives. If colleges included Trisha's book in their healthcare curriculum for nurses and doctors, it would impact healthcare tremendously. I highly recommend this book to all healthcare professionals, it provides education on how to prevent fatal medical errors and enhance clinical skills. Great job Trisha, I can't wait to see what you come up with next!
Lannette Johnston RN, BSN, MS, CPST
Founder & President LaJohn Healthcare Consultant, LLC

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep this book with you at all times- it will save your life!, March 1, 2010
Trish Torrey has done an outstanding job of providing mission critical information needed by anyone who is seeking care in today's American health care system.

Her book is written with the layman in mind providing easy to understand, consumer friendly guidance and tips that are easy to put into action. As health care advocates, we understand how simple misunderstandings in communication can lead to devastating outcomes. The unquestioning trust in health care professionals is no longer the right approach if you are interested in maintaining and improving your health. Trish provides you the tools necessary to participate as an informed medical consumer.

Every health plan in the US should do themselves a favor and offer their subscribers a copy of Trish's book and it should be required reading for every medical and nursing student. Until that happens, do yourself a favor and buy Trish's book.

Ida Schnipper, RN, BS, BSN, MA
Founder and CEO
Heath Champion LLC
in your corner
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars We CAN get the health care we need!, February 10, 2010
D. Cross (Upstate New York) - See all my reviews
Don't send flowers if you have a friend in the hospital. Send "You Bet Your Life" instead! It's the best resource for patient empowerment on the market. I read widely in this field (because of the illness of several close friends and family members), but I have never found a book that "talks turkey" to patients as clearly and knowledgeably as this one does.

Who knew that I might be insulting a doctor if I showed up in his office with a computer print-out? Why didn't I think about the fact that not every "doctor" in a medical office or hospital is a full-fledged M.D.? Or that there could be treatment options a doctor might never mention to me? "You Bet Your Life" taught me all this and more, as well as how to deal with such circumstances. It helped me negotiate the often indifferent, even hostile, U.S. health care system and ensure the best possible care for my loved ones.

The book is very moving, including sad stories about people who suffered and died at the hands of the American healthcare system but also comical quips that made me laugh out loud at Torrey's pungent dissection of the choices we make about our healthcare that simply don't make any sense...

The book is an easy, enjoyable read, providing a wealth of practical tips that you can start to use even before you finish it.

Bedside flowers wither and must eventually be discarded, but you will turn to "You Bet Your Life" again and again for its solidly-researched, immediately-actionable words of wisdom. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book for yourself and everyone you care about!, June 26, 2010
Trisha Torrey writes as if she's your best friend, and her friendly advice is not only warm, it's spot-on accurate. Like a truly good friend, she doesn't mince words or sugarcoat the hard facts about the underbelly of healthcare delivery in the U.S. These are facts you need to know, digest, and share with the people you love. With each of the 10 Mistakes Every Patient Makes, Torrey offers loads of practical information to help patients get better, safer healthcare. Torrey is every patient's advocate and you could not have a smarter, kinder healthcare partner.

Make no mistake -- Torrey's book is essential reading for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to be an Empowered Patient! Read This Book, February 10, 2010
As a healthcare advocate, I am grateful to Trish Torrey for writing this book, I recommend it to my clients because it offers great information on how to navigate the healthcare system. My clients feel empowered by reading about Trish's experience with the healthcare system and don't feel so helpless. Trish offers insight into ways to make the healthcare experience less stressful, scary and depressing. She gives great tips on how and what to do to get what you need. This book is a must for all healthcare advocates and their clients.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book gives you essential health care advice!, February 20, 2010
Jeanne Coppola (Cleveland, OH, US) - See all my reviews
"You Bet Your Life," is an essential health care book! Trisha Torrey starts out with her own story of being misdiagnosed with cancer, and how she figured out, on her own, that she never had it at all! She became "Every Patient's Advocate" to help other patients everywhere, and talks directly to the reader. It is like having a personal advocate by your side to help guide you through your hospital or doctor visit. Torrey tells you the ten biggest mistakes patients make, and how to avoid them. She explains how to manage your health care, confirm your diagnosis, learn your differential diagnosis, build a diagnosis chart, learn alternative treatments, stay safe in the hospital, and much more.

But the most important thing Torrey tells patients is how hospitals really work. She explains that the one biggest mistake patients make is: "Thinking Doctors Put Their Patient's Needs First." Medicine is a big business, and she tells you why your doctor prescribes certain medications, or orders certain tests, or suggests particular surgeries...etc. In other words, she shows you how to "follow the money," behind your doctor's decisions, because doctors do not make decisions based on their patient's needs, but on how different procedures are financed! And Torrey explains it all! She explains how pharmaceutical and insurance companies operate, also.

This knowledge is vital to your health care, because it will help you make the informed decisions you need for yourself and your family! Anyone who visits a doctor needs this book! The list of resources and websites is exceptional, also!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for Empowering Patients, February 11, 2010
Trisha Torrey's You Bet Your Life! The 10 Mistakes Every Patient Makes is an excellent book with useful information on how to understand the medical system and advocate for oneself.

In particular, Torrey focuses on the most common mistakes patients make, such as taking a doctor's word as Gospel truth and believing the myth that all doctors put their patients' needs first. This honest assessment of the medical system dispels many myths about this system working for the patient. Torrey tells the truth about how many doctors and hospitals are more motivated by money than the health of the patient.

The truth is sobering, but Torrey has the courage and conviction to tell it.

In addition, the author explains the behind-the-scenes action of physician and hospital decision making. Each chapter sheds light on the medical system and how patients can work within it to ensure the best possible medical care.

All the outstanding chapters give us a glimpse into the medical world. For example, Torrey discusses at length how hospital stays are fraught with dangers, dispelling the often-held belief that they are safe havens. I could really relate, as she discusses how hospitals go on a kind of hiatus at around 5 p.m., leaving the workers with the least experience on the evening and night shifts.

One of the book's many strengths involves sharing how empowered patients handle the medical system. Torrey creatively refers to empowered patients as "empatients." She gives ample instances of how empatients make medical decisions and handle medical personnel. The author discusses at length how patients can become more empowered in making informed medical decisions.

Torrey first became an empatient in 2004 when she was misdiagnosed with cancer and told by a physician that if she didn't start chemotherapy right away, she would only have months to live. She did research, found errors in her medical records, and -- to the doctor's dismay -- sought a second opinion. Turns out, she did not have cancer, and had she listened to the first doctor and had chemotherapy, it would have been a huge mistake.

We are lucky to have Torrey to give well-needed advice and information about current medical news.

Beth L. Gainer, Calling the Shots, [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Comprehensive Guide to Patient Power I Know, February 10, 2010
Trisha has looked at healthcare objectively from all perspectives - the patient, the provider and the insurance industry. She provides valuable information for how to communicate effectively, be sure your diagnosis is the correct one, proactively check into treatment options in a do-able way and select the otpion that fits your needs. I have never seen such a comprehensive objective book on getting the healthcare that is right for you.

I've created a book of worksheets called Patient Power (see [...]) to help people who are sick and those who love them keep track of their information and communicate concisely with their providers. Using both together is a great way to get the healthcare that you deserve.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›