Published on March 11, 2012 by Steve Ramm

1.0 out of 5 stars Exploiting Mister Rogers
Published 1 month ago by Roseate Spirit

5.0 out of 5 stars A must see for those raised on the PBS show or any parent whose children watch television., March 11, 2012
This review is from: Mister Rogers & Me (DVD)

Wouldn't "we" all like to live in Mister Rogers real neighborhood, especially nearly next door? (I say "we" because the long-running PBS show ` "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" - came a bit after my own childhood. I grew up on "Ding Dong School" and "Romper Room".) Well MTV producer Ben Wagner - along with his cameraman brother, Chris, actually did live next to Fred Rogers in Nantucket, RI, when he was growing up. Rogers died in 2003 and the filmmaker Wagner brothers decided to produce a documentary tribute to Rogers and the ideals he set out to share with his PBS audience through his PBS show.

Through archival photos - gathered from the Rogers family - and interviews with celebrities - including another Nantucket neighbor, the late Tim Russert (NBC's "meet The Press), NPRs original "All Things Considered" host, Susan Stamberg,, and Nick News producer Linda Ellerbee, the Wagners weave a loving tribute to this "gentle" man who never had an unkind word for anyone.

The fact that placing a child in front of a TV set when MRN was on was a "safe place to be" is reiterated throughout the 70-minute film. Unlike "Sesame Street" and "Barney", Rogers never used his name or show to sell merchandise to children. There are facts revealed in Ben Wagner's narration that will interest parents. The percent of one-year old children who have a TV in their room was just one that astounded me.

If I was left with one question after watching the film, it was that the Wagners interviewed nearly everyone that was "connected" to Rogers and his career but not his family. We learn, briefly, that he had two sons but - aside from one photo - they are never mentioned again, nor interviewed.

The DVD has bonus features including a commentary with the two Wagners (this in addition to the fact that Ben Wagner narrates the film. Bonus interviews with Russert and Stamberg are here as well plus a Q&A with David Newell (Mr. McFeely) and Angela Santomero (creator of "Blue's Clue's" and "Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood")

I would certainly recommend this film to anyone who grew up watching MRN or any current parent of young children who watch a lot of television.

I hope you found this review both informative and helpful.

Steve Ramm
"Anything Phonographic"

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, inspirational must-see, April 8, 2012
This review is from: Mister Rogers & Me (DVD)
I stumbled across this documentary on PBS while casually channel-surfing earlier this evening. There was nothing better on at the time, and like every other American my age, I grew up watching Mr. Rogers, so figured I might as well watch. Never did I anticipate the emotional response it triggered. As the filmmakers demonstrate through a series of interviews and correspondence with friends and associates, Fred Rogers was the embodiment of love, kindness, and acceptance. Although he is gone, I am wistful as I imagine the positive impact our society could experience if we were all to embrace the ideals that Mr. Rogers promoted- and more importantly, lived by.

One of the film's most illuminating anecdotes is from a young man who was acquainted with Mr. Rogers while growing up, and had the opportunity to interview him years later for his own television show. He presented Mr. Rogers with a conflict he was having with his upstairs neighbor, who resented hearing the loud music blasting from his apartment below. Mr. Rogers went beyond choosing sides in the dispute. Instead, he emphasized two key concepts: that individuals have the right to live in peaceful silence, and that in order to live together, we need to reach out and get to know those around us. At a time when divisiveness and the ability to shout down opponents are qualities we reward in our politicians, and our communication comes in the form of stunted thoughts limited to 140 characters or less, we need Mr. Rogers more than ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buddha of the 20th Century and Beyond, May 1, 2012
This review is from: Mister Rogers & Me (DVD)
MISTER ROGERS AND ME (writ., prod., dir. Ben and Chris Wagner, 2010, 70 minutes) is a wonderful, must-see, can't-miss documentary of Reverend Fred McFeely Rogers, better known as Mr. Rogers. Presented and narrated by Ben Wagner, who was a young neighbor of Mr. Rogers' near the Rogers' "Crooked House" on Nantucket, this film not only gives the viewer a healthy dose of Mr. Rogers. It dwells for 70 minutes on the massive, sacred contribution of Mr. Rogers and speaks to several great people who were influenced and taught by him.

A chubby boy fled for cover as a mob of bullies chased him, shouting, "We're going to get you, Fat Freddie!!" This was the 8-year-old Mr. Rogers, who had an odd kind of upbringing. While his family strove to see the good in people - which was Mr. Rogers' own profound way - they dismissed his anger, his distress at being fat and being bullied, they told him to shrug it off like it was nothing. This may have been the most profound (and sadly negative) lesson in Fred's young life: why hadn't his parents allowed him an outlet, given him some guidance? He sought his entire life to discover why - and to fix it.

It would come down to fearlessly acknowledging, accepting and working out kids' feelings.

Fred Rogers graduated college with a degree in musical composition - and would return to the seminary later to emerge as an ordained Presbyterian minister. His congregation would be the nation, via television, and in that sense he was a television preacher. He was so much more than that, and I think of him as the founder of public television, which he fought to establish in the early 1960s. Deeply touched by the works of spiritual guru Bo Lozoff, Mr. Rogers sought to enlighten children - and everyone with ears to hear and eyes to see - about that which is beautiful, noble and sacred.

This documentary will teach you, guide you and inform you about all that. It will illuminate in a deeply simple way how life can change with the knowledge of just one thing that is beautiful, noble or sacred. Just one. When I first saw Mr. Rogers, a funny thing influenced me and drew me in: his ritual changing from his business attire into a sweater (knitted for him by his mother) and blue sneakers. Not only that, but neatly hanging his jacket and stowing his shiny shoes in the closet. It seems shallow, but that is what grabbed me about him originally.

Everyone has memories of him, whether we are "Mister Rogers kids" or not. Old as I was, I became a Mister Rogers kid and I can only hope to accomplish a fraction of what he taught. Get this beautiful and spiritually profound documentary, a selfless journey by the Wagner brothers to find out what Mr. Rogers' real-life neighbors thought about him, what they shared with him. You will discover a man who ultimately has had more impact and influence than any other religious leader on earth.

And never once did he preach, or try to sell us anything, because, you see, Mr. Rogers liked everyone ... just they way they are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spreading the message., March 24, 2012
This review is from: Mister Rogers & Me (DVD)
Mister Rogers & Me focuses little on the man and much on his message: Deep and simple.

Through conversations with a variety of notable individuals, the message of "deep and simple" is solidified in those of us who grew up with regular visits to the Neighborhood and we are reminded of the authenticity of Fred Rogers -- both on and off the camera.

Certainly, Mister Rogers & Me is more than just another documentary. It is a challenge to better ourselves and to recognize the importance of what is deep and simple -- to appreciate every second and every moment, every person and every meeting, that we are blessed to experience.

[NeighborhoodArchive.com]

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Wonderful and inspirational!, August 8, 2012
This review is from: Mister Rogers & Me (DVD)
I am in my late 60's and would occasionally see Mr. R on PBS as I was changing channels - It looked to boring - I would go right past it. But when my Son was born I became very interested in what was out there for him on TV. I watched my child as he watched certain shows - most of them seemed to agitate him - not either good or bad - but there was not a moment of peace and reality. So I DECIDED TO TURN ON Mr. R and it was like magic - my son watched attentively, fully engaged - often laughing. I watched also and was immediately drawn in by the kindness and valuable real life situations and solutions.

Today we have been blessed with a grandson. He in now almost 7 and was brought up on MR.R and loved watching him presently - he loves the old black and whites as they are really unique in our world today. Amazon has a few of these!

My house and my son's home are at the extreme high tech end of the spectrum yet my grandson just loves sitting down to a relaxing time with Mr. R

As I watched this film - the tears were flowing of memories past!

5.0 out of 5 stars INSIGHTFULLY, July 25, 2013
This review is from: Mister Rogers & Me (DVD)
Very pleased with the expediency of BOOK WORM...this is an excellent documentary of a remarkable person we were privileged to have in our "neighborhood ". I watch this at least once a month to be reminded about the goodness we can bring out in others and how to LISTEN with deep sincerity; gratitude and thankfullness to all those past and present who have made me what I am today.

1.0 out of 5 stars Exploiting Mister Rogers, October 19, 2014
The filmmaker is using a passing acquaintance with Mister Rogers (he met him twice when he was in his 30s) to further his career. Benjamin Wanger (producer, writer, director, star, soundtrack, etc. etc. etc.) is awful. The writing is bad, the music is worse, and the narration should have been done by someone else (he lisps). It reeked of exploitation to me, which is so sad, especially when you are talking about Fred Rogers. Mr. Wanger was on camera way too much; he talked too much without anything interesting to say. He was like the one man band of this documentary and Mister Rogers deserves a lot more. If you're hoping to wax nostalgic about the Land of Make Believe, you can forget about it. There is a complete lack of interviews with anyone who actually worked with Mister Rogers or on the show (interviews were mostly with casual friends/penpals) which makes me wonder if people who really knew him knew this project was bogus. By the end of it I was just laughing as they would cut to ANOTHER shot of Benjamin driving his car "Oh, hey, it's me again! Remember me?" and then at the end this awful song comes on over the credits and I thought "I bet this is him singing and playing" -- this is his vehicle to get noticed, after all. I was correct, it was his crappy song. So if you want to see Benjamin Wagner's tribute to himself with a few bits and pieces about Mister Rogers here and there, or if you want to laugh at someone who is way too into themselves, then by all means watch this thing and enjoy. But don't expect to be moved to tears or to learn much of anything you didn't already know about one of the most inspiring Americans there's ever been.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just Rent It, March 30, 2014
I was expecting to learn more about Mister Rogers. The documentary does have beautiful video clips of Mister Rogers though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, and deep, February 17, 2014
This is a beautiful, personal portrait of an extraordinarily gentle and gifted man - a man who has a message we all desperately need to hear. Best viewed in a relaxed state with full attention.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant Documentary, December 25, 2013
Excellant Heartwarming Documatary A wonderful example of a man whos soft spoken words encouraged, comforted and inspired a whole generation of children. The sound quility was very poor as audio was up and down thru out.

Mister Rogers & Me
Mister Rogers & Me by Christofer Wagner (DVD - 2012)
$24.99 $16.16