5.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Rogers 'Going to school'
Published on June 26, 2007 by Sunnie Skies

2.0 out of 5 stars (Review of #1481: Competition) Sadly disappointing dvd
Please note that the other reviewers of this item entered reviews for a different epoisode of Mr. Rogers, and not episode #1481, which called is called "Competition". There is nothing about going to school on this DVD, and it does not come with a toy.

Published on March 9, 2011 by sunny swimmer

2.0 out of 5 stars (Review of #1481: Competition) Sadly disappointing dvd, March 9, 2011

My three-year old son and I are both enormous fans of Mr. Rogers and own the first week of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood on DVD, as well as the Friendship/Love DVD and Circus Time DVD. All those DVDs are wonderful in that the single episodes hold together and don't leave a lot of unanswered questions (to be answered in a follow on episode).

I was hesitant to buy this DVD not only because it was a single 1/2 hour episode for ten dollars, but more because I was concerned it would not hold together conceptually because Mr. Rogers shows ran for half an hour a day for a full week to bring an idea or event to full fruition at the conclusion of a five-episode week. My fears were justified. About six (very interesting minutes) of this DVD is an overview of a crayon factory. The rest of the DVD is equal parts Mr. Rogers drawing with crayons at an easel, and time spent in the Neighborhood of Make Believe preparing for King Friday's art competition. Lady Elaine is certain she will win The Competition because she wants to. She goes so far as to say angrily "I HATE to lose, I hate it!" and "people like you when you win!" Miss Cow is uncertain how an art contest can even be judged, since art is subjective. Clearly the episode was setting the stage for teaching children about competition, losing, winning, and what art really is. And then just like that, the 30 minutes is over and none of those issues are explained or resolved. My three-year old walked away from that episode hearing that "people like you better when you win", and also having learned the word "hate". No follow-through, no positive life lesson, no teaching moments. Though I love Mr. Rogers, I will never buy a single episode again and certainly don't recommend anyone else do either. Incidently, the quality of the DVD is a little off in the images are a little jerky and jumpy (it's subtle, but it's there).

Perhaps I am naïve, but I really cannot imagine that Fred Rogers would approve of his shows being sold as single DVDs at such a high price. The episodes just don't hold together on their own because they were designed to move slowly and to unfold AS A GROUP over a full week to culminate in lessons that are lasting and meaningful, which takes time. Further, selling single episodes is a terrible waste of resources (plastic packaging, cardboard for shipping, etc), which I don't believe Mr. Rogers would have been supporive of. The only reason these these episodes are sold singly is greed, and the result is damaging to the quality of Mr. Rogers' messages and legacy, and to the environment as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Rogers 'Going to school', June 26, 2007
Mr. Rogers brings the purity and sincerity to a new generation. As in the newer children's programs of today where there is content that is objectionable for little eyes to see and little ears to hear, Mr. Rogers is an anchor for today's innocent children.I bought this for my three year old grandson and he loves the programs. This video is no exception and proves to be one that sends the message that each child is indeed very special and is accepted just as he/she is. It has all the elements of honesty and and is appealing with the sounds of the trolly, the puppets, and the gentle, loving voice and face of Mr. Rogers. The school bus toy is a great added bonus and a joy for my grandson to play with.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a beautiful day in my neighborhood!, August 18, 2005
This dvd is wonderful!!!!! It explains a school bus and what going to school is like. My girls love Mr Rogers and my oldest daughter is in 1st grade and now is asking to ride the school bus like Mr Rogers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Rogers is a Balm to a Child's Soul, January 2, 2011
Television is generally not good for children. Mr. Rogers is the exception. While even Mr. Rogers would discourage parents from letting their children watch hours of the Neighborhood day after day, I'm firmly convinced that Mr. Rogers is one of the few programs that, if used by parents in moderation, will actually help your children's emotional growth. This group of episodes is no exception. Despite my best efforts, my child could not grasp that playing games was fun--even if you lost. With his uncanny ability to speak to children, Mr. Rogers' episodes on competition helped my daughter to gain perspective on winning, losing, and the value of trying something new--even if you are not "perfect" at it.

Thanks for making these available. We will be purchasing more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, September 19, 2008
A. K. Juett (Georgetown, KY) - See all my reviews
Mr. Rogers is awesome! Very education and well paced for children. I wish there were many more to purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Mr. Rodgers, November 2, 2008
Mr. Rodgers is just the greatest in my opinion so it doesn't surprise me that I loved this dvd. I have a toddler who I am trying to teach about school so I thought this would be a great dvd to help explain a little about what goes on there. My daughter really dug the school bus that comes with this (a small toy that comes with the dvd) and especially the part of the dvd where he gives the viewer a tour of a real school bus. It's one episode of many I would love to watch with my little one and I only wish they offered more compilations of his show.

2.0 out of 5 stars In the spirt of Mister Rogers, March 27, 2011
I'm twenty-eight years old. Mister Rogers and I have been television neighbors since the day I was born on February 8, 1983. I love his messages. They're timeless and perfect for any age. No matter how old you are everyone needs to feel loved and accepted by someone. When I found out that Amazon finally had Mister Rogers on DVD I was thrilled! This was what I had been waiting for! At least I thought so.
I went online and picked out the ones I wanted for Christmas. I got the one called Competition Big Bird Visits the Neighborhood. Disabilties A visitor who visits Leg Braces, and Curiosity the beginning of learning.
When they arrived, I couldn't wait to watch them. Again, I love Mister Rogers, but I was disappointed to find out that I paid ten bucks for one single episode. What a rip off! There weren't even any special features. No special tours, no sing alongs, no interviews, etc. I was expecting to see the whole theme of competition carried out throughout the week just like Mister Rogers did. These are classic shows that I'd like to keep not just for myself as an adult, but also to show my children and grandchildren someday. I'd like to show them the classics I grew up with the way I grew up with them so that they can have an appreciation for who Mister Roogers really was. That man is one of the reasons I write the way I write as a children's writer. I'm trying to carry out the principles he taught that were so helpful to me.
Episodes of Mister Rogers aren't just shows, they're keepsakes because the show is so unique. The way It's packaged right now, it doesn't allow kids to get to know the real Mister Rogers and understand why he was loved by so many. What a shame! To paraphase what another person who reviewed another Mister Rogers DVD said, I don't think Mister Rogers would approve of the way we're marketing his products- especially with what he taught about the environment and receyling. This is wasteful. I agree! It's a disgrace! We're totally contriadicting his message! If we're going to honor Mister Rogers, we need to do it right. Again, I really love Mister Rogers. The epiosodes I purchased are great. I just don't feel like I got my money's worth. Until I hear of improvements being made on these products, I will not be buying anymore Mister Rogers products from Amazon.com.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great video!, June 8, 2009
Pre-School Mom (Stansbury Park, UT) - See all my reviews
My children (ages 4 and 1) love Mister Roger's Neighborhood. We own all the DVDs available because our local PBS station no longer airs the program. My daughter loves both episodes on this DVD.

The first episode: Mister Roger's goes to school: Mister Rogers introduces children to a school bus driver, who takes them on a tour of the school bus. Then Mister Rogers goes for a ride to pick up school children. In the nieghborhood of make-believe, it's the first day of school at someplace else for Anna, Prince, and Daniel. They sing thier names, and talk aobut guitars. Parents of the children gather at the castle and await thier arrival and talk aobut missing them. I found it touching that Mister Rogers would include a little bit of emothional help for the parents, too.

On the television program, other episodes in this weeks theme included a trip to a kindergarten classroom, and a first grade classroom. I wish these were availble on DVD. Please contact Family Communications and join me in requesting more episodes on DVD.

The Second Episode: Learning: Mister Roger's talks about learning all different ways (caught rather than taught), and expiremnets with flashlights and battery operated toys. In the nieghborhood of make-believe the children at school vote to decide which is a better way to learn: field trips or a fancy learning machine.

My daughter likes this one and always wants to play with a flashlight after viewing it.

Also included is "How people make crayons." Fun and interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great video!, June 8, 2009
Pre-School Mom (Stansbury Park, UT) - See all my reviews

In response to the "lousy video" reiview. On the television program, other episodes in this weeks theme included a trip to a kindergarten classroom, and a first grade classroom. I, too, wish these were availble on DVD. Please contact Family Communications and join me in requesting more episodes on DVD.

Also included is "How people make crayons." Fun and interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still one of the best choices available for children's entertainment, July 5, 2014
This review is from: Mister Rogers' Neighborhood Volume 2 (Amazon Instant Video)
Can't beat a classic show like this--our kids love it. Fun, educational, inspiring--this show has these qualities in abundance.

Rate and Discover Movies