2,441 Reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Great for two months
Published on December 17, 2002 by Ed

2,057 of 2,077 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome once you know the tricks, January 3, 2005
Works great, especially with olive oil, but there are a couple of tricks to getting the most out of it. First, fill it only half way. Second, if you twist the top after each use to release the pressure you can avoid clogging problems. My first one lasted only a year or so because I had not learned that 'releasing the pressure' trick and the nozzle got irreparably clogged. Even hot soapy water didn't fix the problem. A chef friend of mine told me how to avoid the trouble. Since then, the replacement has been going strong for over two years now. Nice even spray with no clogging. Great gadget. I use it all the time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very handy gadget, June 22, 2000
We grill a lot of vegetables in my household (both on the grill, and in the oven in the wintertime), and this is a great device. Gives a light, uniform coating of oil to the veggies. Other things I use it for include oiling pans, my grill, and for misting the top of an italian pie or calzone with olive oil before baking for a nice golden color. Also, if you coat chicken in a bread crumb mixture, spray it with oil, and then bake it, it comes out crispy on the outside...a healthy alternative if you miss the taste of fried chicken.
We have one, and are ordering a second, so that we can have one for olive oil and another for a lighter vegetable oil.
About the only complaint I have is that if you pump it up too much, the oil mists too well! You'll get a light coating of oil on whatever you're spraying, but there will also be this cloud of tiny oil droplets hanging in the air. What I've learned from experience is just not to pump it up too much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Misto Oil Sprayer, December 16, 2004
I had my spayer for several years and enjoyed it immensly until the cap split. In reseaching I found this to be a commom problem for many useers. Further research showed Misto had changed the material in the cap due to this issue. Since mine had been bought at the Lechter close out sale i figured it was one of the older models. Not really expecting anything, I researched and found the Misto service address back east and sent them a letter asking how to get a replacement cap. Expecting to be told it was going to cost $12 or more to get one (S & H) I was pleasantly surprised when many weeks later I received a replacement cap in the mail. No letter, note or anthing. Some Customer Service Dept. person just dropped one in a packing envelope and mailed it to me. So Misto is #1 in service for me and my Misto sprayer is happily spraying away again.

It does spayer best if you don't release the pressure between uses and just give it one or two pumps when you use it. It helped me to get a better spay when I re-read the directions. I never run out of pan spay with my Misto.

5.0 out of 5 stars No more propellants!, July 22, 2003
Johanna (Brewster, NY United States) - See all my reviews
After reading some poor reviews of the Misto Sprayer, I had to add my opinion/s. My first Misto lasted about 3 to 4 years before the seal or collar wore out. I just replaced it with another; and that, too, is fine.
I did not have any of the problems other reviewers had. I really like the idea of being able to spray different oils and not being restricted to whichever can I had on hand.
Let's face it -- it is not a spray can propelled by chemicals and will not spray like one. But I would rather pump and mist on some oil than feed my children food laced with propellants.
Maintenance is easy. It should be thoroughly washed before its initial use. Thereafter, it does not have to be cleaned often, as it contains only oil (which has a long shelf life). I washed mine only when there were visible signs of need, and it was not that often (maybe 2 or 3 times total with the first one).
If you expect this to spray like the can, you will most likely be a bit disappointed. If you feel omitting chemicals from your diet is important and appreciate the natural flavor of oil in your cuisine, then you will rejoice and praise the almighty Misto! (Okay, that's a little much, but I like the thing. It serves its purpose well.)

1.0 out of 5 stars Great for two months, December 17, 2002
Ed "dziarcew" (Clifton Park, New York United States) - See all my reviews
I loved this product when I first got it, it worked wonderfully and I thought "why spend 2.99 per spray can, when I can buy a misto once?" Well, for the two months it actually worked, I don't think I got my money's worth. Now it just shoots a stream of oil no matter how much i pressurize it. I've tried cleaning it several times, even soaking it overnight, to no avail.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but a bit of work ;), November 20, 2000
When I first filled this sprayer and gave it a few pumps, yes..nothing happened and I felt a bit cheated. Then, I gave it a few more pumps and then it became very difficult to press the lid down and that is the secret. You can't really over pump the sprayer.

Once the pressure builds up inside the plastic container, you will find it works quite well. You also have the option of placing a sticker on each misto sprayer. I bought one for olive oil and one for vegetable oil.

What do I use if for most of the time? Bread baking. Yes, it is perfect to spray oil over bread dough to keep it moist when rising. Then you can use it when frying steaks or vegetables. I have used it a few times when preparing salads. It is also handy for greasing pans. One word of caution: keep the spray over a sink or stove top. You don't want oil on the kitchen floor.

~The Rebecca Review

5.0 out of 5 stars A way to unclog the sprayer, January 19, 2011
I agree that this is a great sprayer. If you grill a lot, it can be worthwhile to have two sprayers: one for olive oil and one with a high-temperature, low-smoke oil like canola or safflower oil for grilling. I use my sprayer with olive oil, with its better flavor, for anything other than high-heat grilling. I like spraying salads with just a light layer of olive oil. This imparts a nice flavor without much fat, and you can really taste your greens and veggies.

To lessen the risk of clogging your sprayer, I would recommend avoiding extra virgin olive oil, which is very thick and sticky. A light olive oil works better. And if the sprayer DOES become clogged, I recommend half-filling the sprayer with a solution of one part vineger and one part warm water. If you pump this up and spray it out, you will clean and unclog the sprayer--often this happens within seconds--and be ready to go. I can't seem to avoid clogging the sprayer every 6 months or so, but this vineger and water solution really works well for me. This also works on other sprayers, if you happen to own one of those.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap plastic on pump breaks easily, February 1, 2009
RB (Oakland, CA) - See all my reviews
We loved this product... until it broke that is (and after only 3 months of occasional use). The pump is made of cheap plastic which breaks easily. Once it's broken, the whole thing is no good. I went back to the store to look for a different brand and even the display models at the store where broken in the same place... Great inventions, not so great quality from Misto.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great idea but doesn't work, December 5, 2008
I wanted so badly for this product to work. I've always hated the idea of using the canned pan sprays, but I also didn't like dropping in big dollops of oil then tipping the pan back and forth to coat a pan. After a couple of months, this just stopped spraying and started dribbling instead. I did find a solution: I'm now using a silicon brush to lightly coat a pan with a much smaller dollop of oil than is needed to coat the pan by tipping.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm completely satisfied with my Misto, September 6, 2008
Update *** 3/28/2010

Still working great! I use mostly for olive oil, still a nice fine mist, uses much less oil than swirling some around in a pan, can't say enough good things about it

Original Review -
I bought it to reduce the amount of oil I use in cooking and it works wonderfully. I've had mine for 4+ years and it's showing no signs of wear. Fill it about halfway full, pump it up pretty hard, next I spray a little into my sink to make sure it's misting. If it isn't pump it up a little more and give it another short spray in the sink and it should work. If you have left it sitting for a long time with oil in it and haven't used you may have to pump it up turn it upside down (with spray nozzle at the bottom of your sink), press the sprayer and clear the tube, it's never failed for me. At the end of each use, slowly replace the top while pressing down softly, twist the top back and forth until it is seated, it's well worth the few seconds of effort.

Don't get me wrong, it works as you expect 99% of the time, but the above steps are for those rare occasions when it doesn't.

Think of the savings, a fine mist of oil where previously you tried to pour just a little bit on. The benefits aren't just with the cost of the oil, but the lighter more delicious foods, that still inherit the taste of your extra virgin olive oil with a fraction of the calories. Of course as some of the other reviewers have pointed out you can have multiple Mistos for other oils.

A light spray of oil, refillable so you aren't adding the waste problem, works for years with absolutely minimal maintenance, and less than $10. You really can't ask for more.

Bon appétit