Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 24, 2006
I first read "Misty of Chincoteague" when I was a child in the 1950s. I loved the story so much that I ended up memorizing it so that I could tell it to myself after lights-out. My parents took me to Pony Penning Day in the late 1950s, when Chincoteague was still very much like the town Marguerite Henry described and the bridge to Assateague was way, way in the future.

Pony Penning Day was very exciting, but even more exciting was the fact that Misty was still alive and living at the Beebe ranch! I still have a picture of me petting her. Marguerite Henry was there, too -- a wonderful woman, with a genuine love for children. So was Grandpa Beebe, looking very much like Wesley Dennis drew him.

I will always treasure the memory of that vacation, and judging by the other reviews of this book, there are many, many people out there for whom this book occupies a special place in their hearts.

Even though times have changed since this book was written (Maureen would probably not play so much of a second fiddle to Paul these days), the story itself is timeless: the love of the children for the Phantom; their yearning to own her; their willingness to do whatever it took to buy her; Paul's eventual triumph; and, once again, the love of the children for the Phantom that compels them to do what it best for her: these things make up a story that will continue to captivate children for many generations to come.

I would also like to add that the Wesley Dennis illustrations in all of Marguerite Henry's books are simply wonderful. That was a very serendipituous partnership, because his drawings add so much to Mrs. Henry's spledid stories.
44 comments|111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 18, 2000
I really like the book Misty because I really like horses and colts. I think the book was good also because Marguerite Henry was a good author. The climax is: Will Paul and Maureen ever get to get the Phantom to her colt at Penning Day? My first opinion is I think Misty is the best for kids to read. My second opinion is: People that love horses should read the book Misty. My last opinion is: Misty was the best book I have ever read. Jamie
My seven year old daughter and I finished this book last night. She was very sad to have it end. What a wonderful account of the devastating storm that hit the islands of Assateague and Chincoteague and the relief efforts to rebuild the islands and the devastated wild pony population.
It was very heartwarming to read in the epilogue excerpts from actual letters of children that sent in their hard earned money to buy back the ponies sold at previous Pony Penning Days to replenish the wild herds of Assateugue. These children and others like them preserved a tradition that had been maintained for over 100 years and because of them continues on today. In fact, Marguerite Henry dedicated this book to those very children that made it all possible.
Marguerite Henry does an excellent job of using local dialect in the telling of the story, especially with Grandpa and Grandma. You can not help but become involved in the characters and their concerns become very real to you.
I read this book many many years ago and had forgotten a great deal of the story. One of the things I did remember was Misty being put in Grandma's kitchen to wait out the storm.
If you are like me and read this book many years ago I encourage to reread it. You will be glad you did.
on December 20, 2001
This book is as exciting and touching today as it was when it was first published, in 1947. First of all, there`s the startling discovery that Western mustangs are not America`s only "wild" horses- the feral ponies of Assateague, off the coast of Virginia, also qualify! Henry begins the story with the possible origin of Misty`s ancestors: they may have been the survivors of a shipwrecked Spanish galleon. She then brings the tale up to the 20th century and introduces young Paul and Maureen Beebe, who are longing to keep a pony for themselves, instead of merely breaking them in for others. The rest of the book deals with their efforts to do just this. Paul has his heart set on the wild mare Phantom, but the siblings hav`nt reckoned on the attachment they develop to her young foal, Misty. The author is expert at capturing the depth of feeling that one can have for an animal, especially that of a child or youth who has just discovered this phenomenon. As well as being informative about Assateague and its neighboring island, Chincoteague[home of the Beebe family], and the annual Pony Penning Day round-up, Henry gives the reader a realistic picture of two young people dealing with a real moral dilemma: whether to give the Phantom her freedom. Misty is a rewarding book, no matter if you`re a child or an adult when you read it. I also give high marks to its two sequels. There just are not many writers like Marguerite Henry these days.
on December 5, 2002
This is the true story of Misty, a famous horse who gave birth to a foal named Stormy during a raging, devastating storm. The book then presents an accurately detailed account of rebuilding the island of Chincoteauge after the storm.
The plot of this is exciting and suspenseful book twists just to the reader's liking, and has times of slow sadness. The odd regional colloquial speech of the characters may sometimes confuses the reader, but it is so well written you it presents a mental picture better than a movie.
This is a very interesting book to me. Its many scenes convey many different emotions: some humor, some happiness, and some intense sorrow. I am also extremely inspired by Paul Beebe, who shows courage and self-control as I would like to. It is a favorite of mine, and a worthy addition to any bookshelf.
on August 13, 2011
Like many of the other posters, I read Misty of Chincoteague when I was a child and loved it. I then went on to read all of Marguerite Henry's books. Recently my daughter and her children vacationed in the area of Assateague and Chincoteague Islands. I had forgotten all about the wild horses, but my daughter's experience made me recall the book about Misty. My public library no longer carried it so I ordered it. The book is just as good as I remembered it to be.

My only complaint is the claim that this is a library edition. The book looks just like the one in the picture, but after I opened it I questioned the library edition description. It looks like a paperback inside with a nice hardcover outside. Maybe the pages are made out of recycled paper or something, but they look cheesy and are definitely not of the high quality that would stand up to library usage.

For this reason and this reason only, I am giving the book 4 stars instead of 5, my apologies to the author's family. My criticism regarding the quality of the paper the book is printed on does not reflect Marguerite Henry's legacy. My only wish is that today's children have the opportunity to read this fine book whatever the paper quality. Now I feel bad about the 4 stars, but since I can't rate it 4.5, this will have to do.
on May 2, 2003
I received this book as a gift from my grandparents before I could read - around 1955 when I lived in Chincoteague Virginia. Inside it's cover, it had autographs of Grandma and Grandpa Beebe, Maureen Beebe, and a sticker that was supposedly "Misty's Hoof Print". Paul's autograph was the only one missing - I believe he died in World War II. The autographs seemed to bring it all to life for me even at a young age. This was my favorite book of childhood!! Later my family moved to Virginia Beach, and I loaned the book to my fifth grade teacher to read to my class. She took it home for safe keeping, which turned out to be not so safe. A hurricane devasted her home and took my beloved Misty Of Chincoteague book out to sea.
I was devasted as well. It bothered me for years. Some 40 years later in a used book store, I came across a hardcover copy of the book - minus the autographs of course. I immediately bought it, and read it.
Years later I read it to my daughter, when she first became interested in horses. She now has a copy of her own. I'm now 52 years old and I STILL love it!!
This book is timeless, has a great message for children - set goals, work hard and and you will achieve, and goes straight to the heart of man's inate love for animals. The illustrations are simple yet precious. I HIGHLY recommend this book!!You'll find it becoming a family favorite!!
on August 6, 2005
I don't remember how old I was when my parents first bought the Misty Books by Marguerite Henry- my older sister and I were maybe around 5 and 7... but it became a family ritual to sit and read them together (more like have them read to us).

Once we had read Misty and Sea Star my parents planned a trip to Assateague and Chincoteague.

They still have "Pony Penning Day" as they did in the stories.

What a special treat to find that Stormy - Misty's Foal - was ALIVE! My sister and I got to pet a very aging, but very beautiful Stormy.

I had my Misty book signed by a member of the Beebee family. Over the years, I lost my book.

Last Christmas my Mom gave me a brand new hard-cover version of Misty to share with my young horseloving daughter.

The inside cover read "With all the love we have in our hearts, Mom and Dad"

I have since begun sharing the wonderful stories of Misty of Chincoteague and the Beebee family with my husband and daughter. They are wonderful heartwarming stories that make you laugh and cry.

Henry writes wonderful stories that will thrill horselovers both young and old. Misty is an important part of our Country's history and spirit.

I hope one day I can take my daughter to Chincoteague.
on August 10, 2015
Summary: About some wild horses from Spain taken to Panama by ship. ( For lots of money) The ship sinks by a dreadful storm, and the horses swim to an island called Assateague. They adapt a living there, and growing thick coats like sheepdogs. Then, on Saturday morning, half- past March, A boy and girl called Paul and Maureen went to the wild island to explore, when they saw the horse Phantom. Now, Phantom was a terrific escaper, like the wind. People called the white marks on her shoulders the sign of freedom. When Paul and Maureen saw the Phantom, they were amazed and had their hearts set on her. They wanted to purchase her and tame the wildest horse in the island. Instantly, they worked ferociously to get the money they needed would the roundup men actually catch her? Now I can't tell all of the story, because this would be a spoiler and it won't be fun at all when reading it.
Review: First let me get some things straight. The reason I gave this book a three star was because there were a lot of slang words in this book, making it really hard to understand a few of the important parts of this book. I'm only in third grade! Second, I didn't get really into the book, unlike some other books. I like to be totally wrapped up with no distraction, and a lot of times reading this book I happened to get bored. Third, ( Really Important) I like books that make me laugh a lot, but I've never smiled once in this book. Other than that, I liked how it featured animals and really enjoyed this book.
Other than the three reasons, this book was absolutely great.
on December 19, 2000
If you have a child that loves horses, you've probably already seen this book.......either brought home from the library... or in their own collection. This is one of the staples of any horse-lover's collection.
The story of Misty, a wild pony from Assateague Island off the coast of Virginia who is captured as a foal and adopted by Paul and Maureen Beebe. True story of a truly wonderful foal and her family. This story sparked three sequels that still sell millions of copies around the world.