Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

Mitaki-japan 2pc Wind-up Flashlight Set
Package Quantity: 1Style Name: 2pcsChange
Price:$9.33+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on May 13, 2013
I bought all the following items. I’ll list the items in order of the BRIGHEST top down. I’ve taken a picture of these products, located at: http://i44.tinypic.com/beep9h.jpg
Hopefully Amazon doesn’t remove the link.

Energizer Solar Rechargeable 3-LED Carabiner Crank Light - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JILY9G/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1. This is the brightest little solar/crank flashlight I bought. It’s durable and did I say it’s the brightest? This is worth your purchase.

21st CG 6019 Waterproof Hand Crank and Solar Flashlight - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008475HEU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. This is the next brightest crank flashlight. And the best part(s) is it’s waterproof AND solar. This is worth your purchase.

Ambient Weather WR-111B Emergency Solar Hand Crank AM/FM/NOAA Digital Radio, Flashlight, Cell Phone Charger with NOAA Certified Weather Alert & Cables - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0071BTJPI/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. This is nice to have for emergencies. The light is still not as bright as the two above it. However, for what it does, I give it give stars. This is worth your purchase.

Ambient Weather WR-089 Compact Emergency Solar Hand Crank AM/FM/NOAA Weather Radio, Flashlight, Smart Phone Charger with Cables - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004068AWU/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1. This thing works as advertised. It is the little brother of the WR-111B model. It’s not as bright, but is smaller in size.

Energizer Weatheready 3-LED Carabineer Rechargeable Crank Light, Red - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MFK7BS/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i03?ie=UTF8&psc=1. This decently bright, but the solar paneled version is anywhere from 50% to 100% brighter.

Garrity Power Lite 3 LED Crank Light - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001L1RU8C/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. In my opinion, this is not worth it. It is big and bulky, and the light is not as bright as others. For your money, you are better off buying other products.

2pc Wind-Up Flashlight Set - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XU7G6Q/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1. These items are good to have only as a backup. Throw them in your car or something. However, if you have a few more bucks, spending it on a better product like the solar powered Energizer one is a better idea. These flashlights are weak and very slippery. They can easily fall out of your hands.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 26, 2012
Okay..I'm weird, I admit it and I take some pride in my weirdness.

Much of the time I don't need any extra lighting. I have the TV on, the computer on, and that is sufficient for my needs. If I can avoid turning on a lamp or over had light by grabbing a flashlight to quick see what I need to see and then turn it off, I am content.

If I can grab a flashlight to move from room to room at night when TV and puter are off and I just need to head off to bed, or the bathroom I am happy to have saved the planet the use of all the electric lights being turned on and off.

But... I don't like all the batteries used and disposed of either, not for the burden on planet, or my budget.

Solution... hand crank Led flashlights.

My first one was a gift. I didn't think I'd use it.. but I did!!! Found myself going for days without having to turn on a single light... yeah.. .hey... said I was weird.

When that one wore out after a few years I ordered another, miserable for the few days it took for it to arrive. Couldn't believe how much I was turning on lights, leaving them on to go back... I was not happy.

When that one dropped for the umpteenth time and didn't survive the fall I ordered again, this time I ordered a twin pack... so that when the first one dies (I labeled them) I have a backup till the new one comes!!!

A minute or two of cranking gives long lasting light... how long? Don't really know.. the longer it goes it dims a bit.. but I fell asleep one night with the flashlight on and woke some six or seven hours later and the light was still on and bright enough to lead the way to the bathroom!!

Won't hesitate in the least to order these again. Great product, great price, prompt delivery. If you are looking for something for everyday use or for emergency use.... this would be a good choice... you'll never have to worry about batteries!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 21, 2013
I just received 2 of these in a single package. they are of dependable quality, not the best construction but it does not seem that they will break in your hand or from a simple drop.. just dont throw them around with force. I also dont feel they will slip or slide from your hand as they have a nice curve on the grip where you hold it..

TEST RESULTS .. I decided to TEST them when they are new and check how long the flashlights hold the charge. Here are the results.

Light 1 - I cranked this flashlight 120 times. (approximating 120 seconds) turned it on with just a single LED turned on..the charge held good for about 3.5 hrs of continuous use. I could see things clearly in my bedroom which is about 13*12 sqft after 3.5 hrs

Light 2 - I cranked the flashlight 120 times. (approximating 120 seconds)turned it on with all 3 LED lights on the charge held good for about 2 hrs of continuous use. I could see things clearly in my bedroom which is about 13*12 sqft. there is still life in this unit after 3.5 hrs. but it is now not as bright as it was when I first turned it on. it can still be used to see the ground you are walking on. but nothing beyond that

hope this gives a fair estimate of the duration of use with each charge

Having seen the brightness of the light - Where would I use it? Probably in and around the house where I am comfortable with the surroundings and all I need is a simple illumination to see my way through familiar grounds..

Will I keep one in my car or an emergency bag? - Yes, because the light may not be as bright as a battery operated flashlight of 100's Lumen but this one has an advantage in that the battery is almost perpetual so once the more expensive flashlight goes bust on me after the batteries are used up then I can use this one all through the night with just a few cranks on the handle every 2 hrs

I have given this product 4 stars... I would have given it 5 stars also.. I am holding back on the 5th star only because this flashlight does not have a slot to loop a string through it.. but that's a point I am willing to ignore in a backup light.
on February 15, 2013
For just a minute of winding I got almost 2 hours of light. This is great for a purse, so if you are ever at work, or out somewhere, you know you will have light if its needed. It gives off a good amount of light also, and I like the idea that if you need only a small amount of light, you can only use the one bulb and not all three.
on January 25, 2012
It is compact and very handy. The crank is not so smooth and noisy. The crank handle slots in nicely when not used. It is made of cheap plastic.. no rubber used.. but grips nicely in my palm. Size of a cell phone though twice as thick but fits in your pocket. One switch operation. You can either switch on 1 center LED or all three LEDS.
Operating sequence:
Press to ON 1 LED --- then press to OFF --- again press to ON 3 LED --- then press to OFF

It is cheap and works nicely for the price. I bought two of these for 11.5$ whereas I bought one Wind n Go flashlight for 13$. If you are looking for quality go for more expensive Wind n Go flashlight.
on October 2, 2013
I bought these primarily to use in an area will low lighting that needs to be cleaned once every week or so. I thought they would be nice to designate to that area so I wouldn't have to go looking for a flashlight every time I needed to go there. They're nice in that they wind up instead of taking batteries, but that's about it. When you're winding them up the light is very bright, but the moment you stop it immediately dims by at least half, and decreases quickly over the next few minutes. I have tested varying winding times to see it the changes how bright or long the charge lasts, and I've found that a full five minutes of furious winding results in the same sad glow as a quick 30 second spin. These simply have no capacity to retain charge. When I'm cleaning I need to use both my hands, so every 3-5 minutes I have to put everything down to wind these again. If it is a fluke, it's a big one because both of the flashlights in the package do the same exact thing. As other customers have noticed, they are also a bit slippery, and I have definitely dropped them a few times because of it. I'm sure they would be fine, nice even, if you only needed them to walk around and you had your hands free to charge them every few minutes, but for my use they are the most impractical flashlight out there.

UPDATE:
Not even a month after my review and one of the two flashlights has broken. The winding mechanism snapped off completely. Since it requires such frequent winding I can't really make a stable replacement. I have been extremely disappointed with the quality of these flashlights and would not recommend them.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 21, 2014
I got these lights for my kids (2 and 4 yrs) to take to bed. I got tired of going through batteries in flashlights. This has been a wonderful solution. These are fairly inexpensive and not the best quality of flashlight out there but for my kids they are perfect. They are small enough for small hands to grasp comfortably. They are easy to wind but if you wind too aggressively the gears will break. (we are on our second set of these) The black 'grips' on the sides do fall off after a while and are easily taped or glued back on. The lights are pretty bright and last long enough for the kids to fall asleep. (These do not withstand being thrown out of a crib repeatedly so would not recommend if your child is a thrower.)
I would not get this light for myself though. I would want something more sturdy and of better quality. I would not like these for camping or reading because the lights fade too fast for extended use. They might be good for a backup flashlight or to use for finding a pacifier in the middle of the night.
For Kids I give these flashlights 4 stars and for an adult I might give it up to 2 stars.
on May 10, 2014
What is there to say other then that? I purchased them to put in my travel bag & in the car for use in an emergency, and when I attempted to charge the first one using the crank, after I cranked it I'd say 5-6 rotations, the linkage between the handle & the charge mechanism broke! Making it utterly useless! I sent them back!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
First encountered these wind-up flashlights on the streets of lower Manhattan in the last days of Hurricane Sandy in October 2012. Two enterprising young entrepreneurs were at the trunk of their car, with one of them opening the packages as fast as he could with a box cutter, and the other selling them one by one for more than twice the price we see here, and they were going fast.

Bought this 2pc Wind-Up Flashlight Set by Mitaki-Japan as an emergency backup set. They are admittedly not quite as good as the Garrity Power Lite 3 LED Crank Light that I've had for about five years now, and though they might not be the best around, they are hard to beat for the price.

The clamshell packaging is abominable, but once you surgically extract them, they are fairly decent, using three LEDs for illumination. There are two brightness settings, one using a single LED and the other using all three. There are no directions, so just remember to crank them (in a clockwise direction) for sixty seconds at about two cycles per second, and you'll get about two hours of constant illumination. One of mine lasts longer than the other, but with products of this price, that's not surprising.

Bottom line:

These are not the best dynamo/hand crank flashlights that you can find here, but for the price, they are hard to beat. This one is a double-dip deal.

5/3/2013
on September 18, 2014
Just bought these recently, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!! Not much better than total darkness!!