I purchased this TV and had it delivered in time for the Olympics. My cable company actually seems to have broadcast NBC's HD channels with out over compressing them and the pictures are awesome. Please note that this is my first 1080p TV so I may be a bit too easy to impress. I have a Panasonic TH-42PX60U 42-Inch Plasma HDTV as well but they are not even in the same class.

I have a PS3 as well that I use as a Blu-Ray player. This is why I will never have to go to the movie theater again. The movies are stunning. Sitting at 9 feet (3 meters) from the set all your field of vision is filled without having to move your head.

Out of the box this TV was easy to use and operate. I do, however, recommend reading the manual as there are several features that you may not know exist if you do not.

In choosing this TV I had trouble finding reviews. This is because Mitsubishi seems to release a new model every year or less. I recommend looking at some of the prior models reviews. Here are a few I used (if the links still work):
Mitsubishi Diamond Series WD-73833 - 73" rear projection TV ( DLP ) - 120Hz - widescreen - 1080p (FullHD) - HDTV
Mitsubishi WD-73735 73-Inch 1080p DLP HDTV
Mitsubishi WD-73734 73-Inch 1080p DLP HDTV
on August 1, 2008
Just bought the WD-73835 from OneCall. Got best price and free shipping as noted on the Amazon site. This is an incredible television. I upgraded from my prior set an HP 6580N DLP and the difference in size (25% larger than a 65" set), sharpness, color and brightness is remarkable. The colors are a little off out-of-the-box so the set is best tuned either with an ISF Calibration or for an experienced user with one of the varous tv tuning DVDs that are available.

You will NOT regret this purchase and OneCall's service is outstanding as well!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 8, 2009
I have had this TV for about 1 month now and am absolutely amazed with the picture quality.

I was moving off a 9 year old Mitsubishi 60" rear projection TV on standard def TV, so I may be overly impressed with the HD aspect of the image, but the picture quality on this new Mitsubishi is amazing.

I frequently watch DirecTV HDTV (and standard) broadcasts, watch movies on an old DVD player, and use the Wii gaming system. I have no surround sound system yet and have found the audio to be below the quality of my old TV (someone mentioned it sounds like it comes out of a can which is true). However, the sound is good enough for me right now until I can install my surround sound system, so I'm not in a hurry to do that yet.

I used most of the default settings for color/etc and simply use the "Natural" setting for night-time TV watching and the "Brilliant" setting for day-time TV watching. My TV is in a well-lit room with a lot of ambient light and there is almost no noticeable reflection from the sun or the ceiling track lights. The improvement over the old rear projection TV is phenomenal in that regard (the old TV screen almost acted like a mirror in some cases, which ruined the picture quality on sunny days depending on the viewing angle).

I also set the TV to simply broadcast every signal in native format, so I sometimes am watching 480i (Wii); sometimes 720p (ABC & ESPN); and sometimes watching 1080i (various cable and network stations). Even with 1080i it seems that not all broadcasts have the same quality.

The Wii looks much better than on my old TV, but not as good as on my in-laws 55" Sony XBR. Apparently they have an X-Box which broadcasts in 1080p (1080i maybe?) instead of the 480 the Wii manages. Even with 480, the Wii games are phenomenal on such a huge TV screen, and that more than makes up for any slight blurriness. If you look for the soft edges, you'll find them, but if you just play the games, they look great.

I have watched basketball and Nascar, and have not noticed any problems with the image or blurriness. The image is so sharp it is almost frightening (especially on the Brilliant setting)...I can't wait for football season to start!

I considered a plasma, but knew the Wii gaming system would probalby be left on overnight (frequently?) and possibly ruin the TV. I also considered a LCD, but really wanted a HUGE TV. I seriously considered the 65" Sharp Aquos, but when I compared the image at Best Buy, the Mitsubishi blew it away. That and the fact that a couple of my friends have the same TV sold me on getting the 73" Mitsu.

I bought the matching base to go along with the TV and actually freed up almost 1 foot of space in my living room by replacing the old 60" TV which had a monster footprint. This TV snaps into the base and is quite sturdy.

I just noticed Mitsubishi has a newer verions (85737) now, and they also may have 84" TV. That would probably be too large. The 73" right now borders on "almost too big" because we sit about 12-15 feet away from the picture, and sometimes you actually have to move your eyes a little to the left or right to see the entire scene on such a big TV! (especially if an object moves across the entire screen)

Anyway, just thought I'd provide a brain-dump of everything I thought and saw in case it is helpful for anyone else to make a decision on this TV. I have no regrets and am actually disappointed in myself for not pulling the trigger earlier!
on December 24, 2008
I was a bit worried about purchasing a DLP based TV as the LCDs looked sharper in the stores. But since most stores had something pretty crappy hooked up to any DLPs, I checked out the 65" version of this TV in a high-end store where they bothered to set it up right and it looked pretty good. (Still not as sharp as a LCD.)

Now that I've been using the TV for a little while, I can confirm that it provides a picture way sharper than you see in the theatre. In fact, if you don't adjust a few settings in the TV to remove film grain (adjust the sharpness and video noise controls), the film grain can be a bit annoying in some movies.

My only complaint is I wish they made an even larger version. A 80" would be nice! (Maybe they'll do this when 73" LCDs are available.)
on November 29, 2008
I actually got this TV as a NO CHARGE upgrade from Walt's TV. Ordered a WD-73733 and got this one instead. What a deal. Replaced a 7 year old Mitsubishi WS-65908 that had the module go out and couldn't find a replacement. The HD programing on this TV blows away the WS-65908 (didn't have an HDMI input...what a difference). Costco has a 65" Sharp LCD that looked pretty good but I couldn't justify paying an extra $2K. Plasmas at this size are cost prohibitive. Read on other posts something about a "rainbow effect" - what rainbow? All I see is a clear, sharp, awesome picture. Relatives that have come over and seen it rave about the picture. If you have the room, you can't go wrong with this TV.
on March 22, 2009
Bought this set in Feb 2009. Simply put an amazing set. I also own a 57" and 65" Hitachi HD 1080i projection style and a 40" Samsung LCD 1080p and not only does the size of the screen stand out above the rest, the picture quality is super. After I first watched a Blu-ray movie on it, I thought those colors had never existed. It's almost like I had been watching VHS and just now got DVD... Price is a little high but come on, it's a 73" TV. Who else do you know that has a TV this size!! And it's 3D ready. I have tried the glasses running off a computer (so far the only way to get that 3D feature to work) and if they work that out and keep the cost down, you will get some amazing shows and video games in 3D in the future.

If you have the money and want a great big TV with a sweet picture and great colors, get this!!! Only complaint is the dust. It's like a magnet to dust on the black frame. But comes with a dust rag to help wipe that down every few days. A small price to pay for such a great picture.
on April 7, 2009
I've had this set for 2 months and find the satellite, PS3 and over the air antenna reception outstanding. I was going to hold out for a mega expensive LASER Mits.....but tired of waiting for Mits. to release their 73 incher. I'm glad I didn't wait and find this far less expensive set exceeds my expectations. I compared it to a Sharp 65 inch lcd and found the Mits. picture to be sharper, more feature laden and has more accurate colors. One thing I didn't expect is a slightly noisy fan....probably no louder than any other DLP and only noticeable in a completely silent room. No regrets.....great set.

update: May 18,2010 I've had the set for about 1 1/2 years now......absolutely no problems, picture is still great and I'm on the original bulb.....very pleased with purchase
on December 6, 2008
I am a high-tech expert and have spent significant time researching a new HDTV. Since I have the room, a large-format set was my choice.

The Mitsubishi Diamond 73" is replacing my 55" tri-tube Diamond projection set which has had an amazing picture for seven years (with only 1 repair of convergence circuits). I thought an LED set would be more green (and, indeed, it is), but the picture on the Diamond was SUPERB - at least in the store (Best Buy).

I bought the set just before Thanksgiving at Best Buy - it was on sale at the time, with the best price around. I was able to compare this picture side-by-side with the 67" Samsung LED projection set. While the picture on the Samsung (and the technology) was impressive, the Mitsubishi knocked my socks off in comparison; bright, deep color and black blacks, wide viewing angle for a projection set and low reflectivity for bright environments.

Unfortunately, Best Buy royally messed upon on the delivery and it was necessary to to contact Corporate to rectify this. I would suggest you not purchase from them for this reason. We unpacked the set to proof it. After all this hassle, the set was DOA. One whole day wasted.

The following day, with Corporate help, saw the delivery of another set. I have now used the Mitsubishi for about four weeks - and it is SUPERB! It has a scan rate of 120 Hz yielding excellent motion tracking with no artifacts. The six-segment color wheel produces amazing color density and saturation. The picture is viewable from a significant angle (although I sit in the "sweet spot") and is amazing both up close and from across the room. The depth of the set is half of my old one and is unobtrusive. Inputs and outputs are excellent, as are set-up parameters. Blue-ray via HDMI is amazing, as is component input from satellite (soon to be via HDMI also). Of note: replacement bulbs are under $100 directly FROM MITSUBISHI. Bulb life should be excellent and replacement is easy when necessary. I would have liked LEDs due to lower power consumption, reliability and control, but this 180 Watt projection bulb is super (and uses less power than my old 55" set).

My initial rating for this set was 3 stars; I now give it 5. Best bang for the buck out there in large-screen sets. I have not seen the new LaserVision from Mitsubishi but, if THIS set is any indication, it will be unbelievable (although twice the price).
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 13, 2009
The Mitsubishi 73" rear projection has proven to be all that I had hoped it would be. The history of the previous 73" model that turned out to be a very troubled product concerned me greatly, but then that is why Mitsubishi has so quickly ditched that model and introduced this new model. I am completely satisfied so far.
on February 9, 2010
Verified Purchase
This is a great TV. The color is so vivid. The picture quality is terrific.
I've really been enjoying it! It's hard to watch anything else!!!!