5.0 out of 5 stars 3rd Time Mitsubishi DLP Owner. For a Reason
This is my 3rd Mitsubishi DLP 3D Set: My First was the WD-52631, Then a C9 60", Just bought the WD-65638 about 2 weeks ago.
Published on November 18, 2010 by C. Lunden

3.0 out of 5 stars Great TV but I dont expect it to last a life time.
Published on December 2, 2010 by W. Dietrich

5.0 out of 5 stars 3rd Time Mitsubishi DLP Owner. For a Reason, November 18, 2010
This review is from: Mitsubishi WD-65638 65-Inch 3D-Ready DLP HDTV (2010 Model) (Electronics)
As you can tell, I have and yes I will come back to Mitsubishi again. The Value to Size Ratio is the best on the market. Its a good reliable set and have had only one problem with the C9 that they took care of to my satisfaction quickly, and thats about 6 years of Mitsu TV's. This set I will say its not much of a jump in improvements over the C9 I have then before (Execpt 3D mode is improved and cleaned up to match the new standards of 3D). The colors are little more of a Natural look and feel to me then before. At first it was bad getting use to, but I got use to it and like it a little more then my C9, (That had more of a Computer color look, if that makes sense to you). 3D is Sharp with the KIT and enjoy my PS3 for gaming on it. The ability to turn off the DLP Link is a much to my liking and well needed for the Mitsubishi Starter Kit!

Pros/Cons From Other Mitsu DLP Prior Set
PROS:
-You can Finally turn off the DLP LINK (White flash the TV produces on screen to alternate the 3D glasses instead of the inferred system). Making the colors/whites are better and Normal color feel then before while using 3D Mode. And the Blacks don't have a Blue/Purple tint much anymore with the Mitsu 3D Kit!!! 3D Mode in General is much better!
-Colors are more natural then before.
-Profile is a bit smaller and the set is as deep as most Flat LCD Tables. Looks prefect on my stand and tower speakers to the side that are just about the same depth, so no issues on depth.
-Turns on much faster then previous sets, less then 20 seconds. over twice the time less.

CONS
-Remote is horrible. The first year Mitsubishi has had a NON-Universal Remote! Its feels really cheap too (5$ universal remotes are better made). Its Garbage compared to there previous models or any IMO... They might as well have not put one in there. More happy that I have 2 new AA batteries to use elsewhere then the remote itself, but I got a Harmony Remote (and you should get one too) so not anything that does effects me!
-Thou the one and big downfall of this years changes has to be the Menu system... The C9 had such a more technical feel and functions with the Menu (And that kinda the step down model). They use to have a nice Grid System for choosing you input, where you pick the function you were doing. Example: You hit your input button and the grid to pick all the inputs comes up, You can pick your PS3 for Movies or Gaming or Photos, each one will set up the TV to those setting that are stored like game mode or movies at 120Hz and the preset colors you like for both viewing types. I was really hoping they would expand the Grid menu it to include 3D modes or even more of the same, but they took it away for some stupid reason, it was awesome compared and one of the best that was out there for menus... Now it such a BASIC menu and ugly, so now I have to change Color, Settings and Mode when I change from Movies to Games. There is also no advance mode and other things too anymore either!!! (Well that I know of). They dropped the Ball with the menu and the only and a really BIG disappointment. (Thou the On/Off DLP Link and better 3D balances it out). My 37 Vizio cheap set has a way better menu.

-I would have to say all in all the set is great, I do wish the menu was the same or better then before, its sorely missed. But thats for Mitsu to Fix... Its a great value, 3D is awesome and Picture is on par of any Mid Grade Flat LCD (Thou LED will win in picture but not much, especially 3D mode). I bought a 3rd for a reason and so far I see why I wouldn't get a 4th (Thou the return of the Menu will delay my purchase)
If you don't care about 16" width (18" from the wall for air), You will love the set like I do.
-Thou I would note, if you are sure that you will never going to use the 3D mode, but will be using it more for gaming... I would suggest seeing if you can find a C9 Series 65", as the menu and pre-colors is little more suited for gaming. If you are more movies, TV and especially 3D Mode stick with this set for sure!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great TV but I dont expect it to last a life time., December 2, 2010
I had the older Mitsubishi 65 inch that I paid about the same price for. It was a great tv and at the time it was considerbly cheaper than the competition. Size was my main concern because it was going in my game room that had a large wall that I was trying to fill up. My tv had a solid picture and good sound, I was really happy with it and felt I made a great purchase. Than at the 4 year mark my tv started getting lines in the picutes and the quality was so bad that I could not watch tv for more than 10 minutes without getting a headache. I did some research and found out that this was a common problem and that it would cost me way too much to fix as I would need also need a replacement bulb in the future (note this tv was lucky to get 10 hours a month use).

I started my search for a replacement tv and several dealers told me that the Mitsubishi tvs always have problems after several years. My coworker had to replace her Mitsubhishi after 4 years as well. So the question is why would I buy another Mitsubishi? The simple answer is that this tv is a great value, the picture is incredible and for size there is nothing else comprabable. My thought is that if I get 4 years out of it and replace it again it will still cost me less than a Sony (which i own two of but smaller models and they are in rooms that the tv is watched constantly). So the cost was the main factor and once again i am really happy with the tv, i keep my fingers crossed that it will last more than 4 years but even if it does not I still have a great tv and to replace it is still cheaper than buying a Sony. In addition I have lots of components that I plug into the tv and there are more than enough outlets for me (my sony is limited into how many items I can plug into).

So if you ar looking for a 65 inch tv and want a great picture and how long the tv will last is not a top concern than the Mitsubhishi is the tv for you. If you are looking for a tv that will last you a lifetime than my advice is try a Sony but remember in 5 years from now the technology is going to be better and you will want a new tv anyways.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid '10' Bang for the Buck, December 14, 2010
This is our first HDTV, and the selection process was a long one. Ours came from Modia, and while contact was great, shipping could have been better - the 'item has shipped' email was a few days premature, then after transit it sat for 3 more days in the local depot awaiting home delivery - shipping was free, and we live in a small community so I deducted no stars, but A-types may stress a bit waiting for the truck.

The screen is absolutely beautiful - specifically went this route to avoid reflective glare, and there is very little if any, despite it sitting beside a wall of floor to ceiling windows. Not as 'crisp' as smaller screen LEDs or even plasmas, but a quantum leap from our 12 year old Sony 60" projection (now a dedicated kid's TV in the playroom). Inputs adequate, but a front or side input would have been handy - it must be tabled, and once the shelves are full of gear it's not fun to move. Very light - TV itself easily moved by myself, but got some help to be safe. Setup is simple (relatively speaking) but not a lot of controls for tweaking, so that's a wash.

Only downside is the time it takes to obtain a new signal when switching inputs from BD to PS3 to DVR/Cable, but this is our first experience with a TV using HDMI inputs, so it's possible that they all take some time to handle the configurations. I've often gotten impatient and just set it to the new input source, turn it off and then back on - seems to speed things up. Another part of this is probably that I'm not allowed to turn off our cable box/DVR (God forbid one of my wife's shows doesn't record), and I think the multiple simultaneous HDMI sources causes some confusion internally.

Once the source is sorted, however, the picture is stunning. The 'brilliant' setting is over the top for me, so I generally try to leave it on 'standard' or even 'game' unless it's a predominantly dark movie, but even then, 'bright' is plenty. Blacks are VERY black; colors are good - too saturated on the higher settings in fact (more controls here would be great, but it is what it is). It does take some face time to initially get it set up the way you want it, but every new piece of equipment does. Motion blur was also a concern, but have not encountered anything noticeable. Sound from TV speakers is adequate, but nothing like through our AV surround system; for the news it's fine, but for a BD or PS3 game or HD content, you'd want a good surround setup - it makes a huge difference in the overall experience.

Got the free 3D setup from Mitsubishi, and wish the additional glasses weren't so expensive because 3D on this set is just incredible. I didn't think we would even use it, but after seeing it in person, it's like taking the step from standard resolution to HD all over again. You'd SWEAR you could reach into the picture and pull things out, but going back to regular broadcast quality is a huge letdown every time.

Overall, if it weren't for the delay in source switching, I'd easily have gone 5 stars. It's not an LED or plasma, but then again, the bulbs are only $99 every couple years and it will still be as bright and rich in 10 years as it is now while the LCD/plasma/LED panels will have faded permanently, and there's zero chance of burn-in from "someone" pausing something and walking away (possibly until the next day). Square trade DOES cover bulbs, so if you time it right, you wouldn't have to buy one out of pocket for 6 or more years. You can buy a TON of bulbs for 2 grand, btw.

Bang for the buck is unbeatable - I tried for months.

It's probably not healthy to love 'things' but everyone in this house (8 votes) crowds around and argues over this set 18 hours a day, seven days a week. Take a number (between 2 and 8 - 1 is permanently reserved)!

4.0 out of 5 stars Bigger/Newer Not Always Better, August 23, 2010
Bizzee1 (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
I purchased the Mitsu 60735 (2008 model) 2 years ago. While the 65 has a great clear picture, the remote does not have all of the features of the older version. For example the 2008 model has a guide button on the remote that gives information about the current show on TV as well as what's coming up. Also, there is no way to set the newer model to lengthen the life of the light bulb. I have not had to change the bulb on my 2008 model yet. I attribute that partially to the "power saver" feature. However this model does not offer that feature. I guess Mitsu was not making enough money on the replacement bulbs so they took it off as an option.

All in all the picture is great and when using 3D it is absolutly beautiful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best price and Quality for 3D, November 19, 2010
Michael Avallone "Obiwopkenobi" (Deatsville, Alabama United States) - See all my reviews
This will be short and sweet. I purchased this Tv a couple of weeks ago. Great TV. This morning I hooked up my 3D starter kit and my PS3. The 3D quality of this is phenomenal. It's as good as what I've seen in the theater. The best thing is Mitsubishi DLP is the same tech they use in theaters. It's also less expensive than the other brands. So if you're thinking about getting into 3D, I highly suggest Mitsubishi. I have seen Samsung, Sony and Panasonic 3D TV's and the only one that's as good and maybe slightly better is the Panasonic(but it has a higher price tag too). If you own a PS3, it's 3D ready so you don't need to buy a 3D blu ray player. This is definitely the way to go. You will not be disappointed....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cost-benefit analysis, February 23, 2011
A Kid's Review
I purchased a 65 inch television for well under 1000.00. That's insane. I'm going to go over some of the pros and cons of this model, below, but keep in mind (given the number of cons) that at this price-point the value is absolutely phenomenal. I was a little skeptical about DLP technology as it seems only Mitsubishi is left in the game. But, I went and looked at a few models, was reasonably impressed, and a size v. value equation was definitely at work for me.

Ergonomically, I wasn't mounting this on a wall, the 10-15 inches of depth didn't matter to me ... though this certainly isn't a very attractive looking television. I only care about how it works, though. Here are my pros and cons.

PROS

1.)Fairly Good picture quality for HD television. I am not going to say great. Basically all 1080p plasma and LED, and most LCD, televisions are going to do a better job with television images (though you're going to get annoying motion blur issues with LED and LCD). But, the image quality here is very passable, particularly for certain types of HD feeds (discussed below). I was very surprised and impressed.

2.)VERY GOOD picture quality for HD movies. Blu-ray and HD-DVD imagery is noticeably superior to any television channel I could find, and I tested quite a few. A 65 inch television, at this price point, with this kind of image quality, is a huge bargain. High def movie viewing is definitely this television's strong suit. The black levels and brightness were excellent, with far more vivid colors than t.v. stations. I was shocked by how great movie viewing turned out to be, given that I was only mildly pleased with the television watching.

3.)Zero blurring issues. Thank heavens. In terms of motion response, better than the LCD television that it replaced in my living room. The number one reason I could no longer tolerate my LCD is the continuous problem with motion blurring. The responsiveness is fantastic with gaming.

4.) 3D: no ghosting or crosstalk that I could see. I will never again buy an LED/LCD television due to this issue (I returned a toshiba 800x600 for this reason). Looks very good. You need to be prepared for some manual changes when watching 3d movies, though (discussed below).

CONS

1.)This is not a plug and play television. At all. I had noticeable artifact-ing and graininess out of the box with all HD television feeds. It took quite a bit of tweaking to get things looking good. Every setting is ass-backwards upon your initial boot-up. The contrast is at 100 (seriously ...???? do they want us to have horrible line issues all over the place when we first turn it on?). The brightness at 50 is way too low. DLP is not a "bright" technology. I'm sure you'll want to tweak this yourself rather than copy my settings, but be assured: YOU WILL HAVE TO SPEND SOME TIME ON THIS ISSUE. Nothing looked right upon first viewing. The "grain" filter was inexplicably set to off ... this is a 65 inch television, of course we are going to want that on! Ugh. I could go on and on. If you don't get the settings right, this television will have a poor image. It took an hour of twiddling before I felt things were decently optimized. Your room lighting could have a lot to do with it. I would say the image quality went from "I want to return this immediately" to "I can't believe what a steal this was" once I changed my cable output to 720p, corrected all the moronic built-in choices (I am not kidding, basically every setting out of the box is dead-wrong), and focused on HD video.

In playing with the settings, I found some peculiarities. 1080i on this television looks awful with most HD television broadcasts. I re-set my cable box to broadcast at 720p and it looked shockingly better. We watch mostly Fox, ABC, and ESPN shows .... they broadcast in 720p ... maybe check your own broadcast channels, because it makes a gigantic difference. As in, a close-up of a face being blurry and the color being off to having a vivid image in which you can pick out the moles on the actor's faces. I found the difference to be that extreme. For a show with a lot of motion, 1080i did not work. A 720p feed, on the other hand, looked great. I do not know why this is, but I did a couple blind tests with a few members of our household, and they immediately agreed. I am going to theorize that the signal converter in this television is not a particularly robust model. As in, not very good. You need to have your cable box and your television on the same page in terms of broadcasting a native signal, or it will look bad. I found that every.single.setting. had to be changed.

This plug and play problem carries through with 3d movies. 3d glasses chop the brightness in half (literally, the glasses are blacking out in sequence). You need to have a customized setting for watching 3d movies that turns the brightness/etc. way up. Unless I am missing something, you can only have ONE custom video mode at a time. None of the pre-set viewing modes work quite right, so be prepared to do some tweaking every time you boot up a 3d disk. I'm hoping that I'm just missing a feature. Time to re-open the manual, perhaps.

2.)This television is environment sensitive. A couch width of viewing angles is fine. Standing up versus sitting is fine. Laying down on the floor is not okay. Being more than a couch length off center is not okay. Too much light is not okay. The television looked better and better as the sun set. Keep the blinds drawn. It's a trade-off for price. The ONLY time I regularly noticed the rainbow wheel effect is when I was seriously off center. Otherwise, I notice it maybe once per hour of viewing (literally a few milliseconds, then it's gone).

3.)Standard definition signals are going to look flat out bad. Period. No amount of work made a noticeable improvement. I am tempted to move my faroudja-enabled upconverting receiver into the main room, because this television's converter is plainly not up to the task. Thankfully, most blu-ray players will upconvert for you, which is fine for DVDs. Heaven help you if you're stuck with SD television channels or some other obsolete video source like VCR, because these are going to look awful. This is a problem with HD televisions in general, but I haven't seen one handle the job this poorly since the days of the old rear projection models.

4.)The video is not going to pop like a really high quality plasma or led. It just won't. Depending on video quality and feed, I'd say that the 1080p images fall somewhere in the mid to low range (in terms of total image quality, with the pros and cons discussed above) of competing television viewing types. But, to get this kind of size from other television types, you'd have to pay a s***load more.

CONCLUSION

Overall, I found the image quality, once optimized, to be shockingly good considering the price I paid. Is this the best television I've ever seen, or even owned? No. In fact, there is one better plasma (and one worse LCD) in my house at the moment. But, this television is gigantic and makes for a great home theatre centerprice, and the value is phenomenal. I'm hoping DLP sticks around for a while, as it gives us a desperately needed fourth buying option.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy, Broke after less than 2 years., September 22, 2011
The TV Broke after less than two years, white and black "dead" pixels appearing all over the screen. Do a search for "Mitsubishi DLP Light engine" and you will see all the problems people are having just after warranty with these televisions. DO NOT buy! I just replaced this with a 3D Plasma from Samsung, much sharper richer picture, but most importantly has a reputation fir a long lifespan. I will never buy anything from Mitsubishi again! I feel totally ripped off!

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't go wrong., November 28, 2010
This is my first dlp tv. WOW.

For those curious about 3d, the saying "bigger is better" never meant ao much. The 3d on this TV (need to get the Mitsubishi 3d starter kit - search for "3dc-1000"). My brother has a 50" Sony LED he spent a fortune on and after playing GT5 on PS3 he regrets not going with DLP. DLP 3d is the best from what I've seen, and that's at any price point.

Dissapointment:
I'm a huge hockey fan...HUGE. The only issue I've found is that the hockey puck and sticks have a noticeable white outline on wide angle shots. I still rated this TV as a 5 because it's easy for me to ignore, but this does not occur on the LED TVs I've viewed.

Dissapointment:
If you do not have a decent unversal remote, you will need one. The remote for my cable box does not work with this TV as the TV requires the "select" button when switching inputs. Well, my cable remote always reserves the select button for the cable box, so a universal remote that supports my DVR, cable box, audio receiver, and TV is a purchase I will be making in the next month or two.

Bottom line on thia TV is that at under $1000, it's a no brainer. For under $1200 it provides the best 3D experience available.

2.0 out of 5 stars Expected more, December 7, 2012
Considering the price of this set I expected much more than I got. After six months the lamp had to be replaced. Thank God it was under warranty or the service man would have charged us $150. After having the set less than two years it suddenly died and started flashing red and yellow LED's. I went through the owner's manual and proceeded as directed and was ultimately directed to call Mitsubishi customer service. I called customer service and was referred back to the operator's manual. I told the customer service representative I had already performed the procedures in the manual and the manual said to call customer service and you could almost hear the dumb expression on her face over the phone. Once she regained her composure she told me to call a tv repairman. So much for customer service. I just learned from the service technician the optical engine is bad and will cost over $300 to replace. Not very happy about this. Next time I will get a Sony.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, excellent. Dramatic picture and good sound., November 14, 2010
I hope to update this review later with more details. This is the first impression after using the WD-65638 for 36 hours. It was received yesterday morning and has been in nearly continuous use by all family members. We are using this with a Panasonic wi-fi enabled blue ray player which was purchased at the same time. The first item to view was a Blue Ray disc by BBC (Yellowstone). The vivid picture and colors are as good as I could ever imagine - perfect. This is written knowing I am not experienced in this kind of evaluation but it was breath-taking for everyone in the family. With the large screen, perfect colors and clarity plus good built in sound it had a little bit of the feeling you get from I-Max theaters. Watching Netflix streaming movies has been flawless (not high definition) but this is mostly a function of the Blue Ray player.

The set is attractive physically and is quite light. It is much lighter than it appears so 2 men picking it up makes it feel almost too light. Obviously it is deeper than a plasma or LCD TV but it is hard to imagine that would matter. It is light enough to be fine on about any stand that is wide enough for it (forty-nine bucks at IKEA works great). Mounting on the wall is not practical for a 65" TV of any kind plus what do you do with the cables and other devices? I doubt anyone moves a set this big around the house from week to week and, even if you did, this TV would not be much harder than moving an LCD or Plasma (I would say not harder, at all). Passing on DLP in favor of plasma/LCD seems to not make sense in this size range (55" plus). The price is around half the price of a smaller plasma/LCD and is MUCH cheaper than a 65" LCD/Plasma plus the picture quality is arguably better (opinion of various tech sites I read - I have not tried to personally evaluate that).

Controls: Not much to say about this, yet. It all works fine but we have been controlling the TV mostly via the Panasonic Blue Ray player which is also working fine.

I have heard about problems with the bulbs going out and needing an expensive replacement. Checking right now it looks like the bulbs are a little over one hundred dollars. That is not near as bad as a few years ago. My parents LCD TV had the light source go out and they had no viable option - 4 years old and out to the road for pickup and that was a very highly rated Samsung model. Hopefully the prices keep going down so if I need one in 2 to 4 years I won't mind too much paying 50 to 100 to keep the set alive.

Mitsubishi WD-65638 65-Inch 3D-Ready DLP HDTV (2010 Model)
Used & New from: $949.00