5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing T.V.
Published on March 30, 2012 by Troy122484

1.0 out of 5 stars It Will break!!! No question, and Mitsubishi won't help you!
Published 12 months ago by allen mando

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing T.V., March 30, 2012
This review is from: Mitsubishi WD-73740 73-Inch 1080p Projection TV (2011 Model) (Electronics)
I decided to go with this T.V. after a great deal of tossing back and forth between DLP and LCD. I knew I wanted nothing smaller than 70" but I was on the fence because of some of the issues everyone hears about with DLP, mainly the DLP chip going bad after 4-5 years. However, I decided that if I get 5 years out of this T.V. for the price, half that of the comparable size LCD, I'll be happy. In five years home cinema tech will probably be so drastically different anyway I'll want a new T.V. So if anyone's thinking on those lines, there's one way of looking at it.

So the T.V.....

- Size - It's huge, and I mean huge I'm upgrading from a 50" plasma and the difference is much more than you'd think, however not overwhelmingly so. I live in an apartment and my living room is about 14'x 14' roughly and I think it's the perfect size. I'm not squinting to read anything, yet I can still focus on the entire picture quite nicely.

- H.D. Picture quality - Amazing. It's like looking through an open window. The motion is smooth as real life and the texture is like, well like their on the other side of an open window :) Seriously, I put the T.V. in the "convert 2d to 3d mode", which isn't very good 3d quality, but I had my sister over and she walked up to the t.v. and went to touch the person and hit the screen and was shocked. Easily comparable to my brother-in-laws top of the line led-lcd t.v.

- S.D. Picture quality - Well, it's SD I mean it's not great on any t.v. and it's worse so once you are used to HD. I think it is probably worse on this t.v. simply because the size allows you to notice more minute imperfections then you would on a smaller unit, if that makes sense.

- Sound - I expected the sound to be really bad with some of the reviews I read but it's really not all that bad. I mean it's not home theater great, but it's fine for a Seinfeld re-run. My point is I've heard some t.v.'s with sound quality I literally can't even listen to the pitch is so bad it actually makes you uncomfortable, physically. This t.v. is nothing like that, I watch most regular t.v. with the built in speakers, I use my home theater surround sound for movies or games.

- 3D - The 3d is very good, playing Assassins Creed: Revelations and CoD in 3d is amazing for any gamers out there. We watched Puss In Boots in 3D and that was fun. I don't really know what else to say about it. Problem is with 3d it's a bit expensive, i.e. new 3d blu ray player, t.v. and glasses and as of right now there just isn't a lot of content on 3d, so take that as you will. One thing is the size could actually be a little bigger when it comes to 3d given my aforementioned room dimensions, believe it or not. But the QUALITY is great and very easy to use. It's nice to have everything built in, just turn it on and put the glasses on.

- Internet T.V. - It's nice, even though just about everything you buy in home theater now-a-days has internet access. I guess you could say the pq is top notch since there are no wires to run the media through as long as you have a good internet connection. I have a LAN wire run so my connection is great and the pq is great. VUDU does have new releases pretty quickly, albeit pricey, it's convenient nonetheless.

In conclusion, I'm about two months with the t.v. now and i am still very very happy with it and would do it again without a doubt. I would recommend anyone on the fence or considering it go ahead and do it. You'll get the same exact or better quality than lcd or plasma, a bigger size and pay a lot less. The only TRUE difference between this t.v. and a high end plasma or lcd is that it is not wall-mountable, which is overrated if you ask me anyway because you still have wires and need some type of shelf/entertainment system to put all your peripherals on. I've don't it and look at me now :) Any other "major difference" between this t.v. and comparable lcd/plasma is biased opinion, in my biased opinion anyway. :)

P.S. this is the very first product review I've ever written. I figure since i read so many, I should give back. How'd I do?

5.0 out of 5 stars I Just Purchased Happiness, July 13, 2011
Yep. This TV makes me smile. I upgraded from a 65" projection to the 73". My basement is now a movie theater. This TV will change your life for the better. You'll want to take this TV to bed, and spoon it. Take it on vacation. Or better yet, not go to vacation at all, and just stay home and watch Blu Ray movies, play xbox and ignore your family. Wondering where all your friends are on game day? They're at my house, and now they're my friends. And they brought better beer than they ever brought to your house to watch your sub 60" screen hung on the wall at an awkward distance and height. Be a man. I advise you to buy this tv, keep your friends, and drink better beer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent 3D, July 25, 2011
Watching 3D on this TV with my Optoma dlp link glasses is as good as theaters. I have watched 3D on 3 other TVs and was always disappointed. Not anymore as 3D has finally been done right. I won't get into the DLP vs. LCD, LED, Plasma or any other format. I think it is obvious which one I prefer. So I will compare to other DLP's which for the past couple of years now means other Mitsubishi TVs. If you have been waiting to buy then wait no longer. The picture is brighter and more beautiful then ever, and the 3D works like nothing else on the market. Motorstorm 3D PS3 game is jaw dropping.
If you want 3D, buy this TV. If you want the biggest best picture, buy this TV. If you want to hang your TV on the wall, Don't buy this TV

5.0 out of 5 stars You decide what is right for you, December 15, 2011
rotwiler (WA State USA) - See all my reviews
I ordered a 73740, I currently own a 2009 65737 which feature wise is pretty much identical other than the internet apps and built in 3d sensor.
Dlp does not get burn in, so leaving a game on will not hurt your tv in any way, the picture quality is really good and hd content looks great, 3d looks very good and it is not a wall mountable tv, but is slim enough it still looks modern. Replacing the light is easy and takes a couple minutes, is wise to keep 2 on hand, I have replaced one in 3 years, but I can tell my tv is starting to dim a little and will need one soon. I suggest a 4 year warranty with these televisions, if a issue is going to show up, it will show at 3-4 years most of the time. I just ordered a 73740, my 65 still works fine, but wanted long warranty and little bigger screen. The only issue my 65737 has is sometimes detecting my cable box, not all the time, just random and I can see tiny black pixel looking spots on screen, maybe 8 of them, which is probably the dlp chip with stuck mirrors. The dlp chip has had a issue with this on dlp televisions for years and can be white or black spots depending on which way mirror is stuck, that is main reason to get a warranty. I have not read anywhere that texas instruments has fixed this common issue and replacement can cost $900. Other manufacturers had agreed to repair out of warranty dlps with this issue after lawsuits, so be informed and get a warranty. I still love this television and think they are the best bang for the buck out there, just decide if replacing a light is something you care about and possible dlp chip issues.

The 73740 arrived, the difference from 65 to 73 is more then I was was thinking, which is good. Picture quality I would say is identical to my 2009 737 series, waiting to test 3d with the built in emitter. I noticed the vents on the back have been changed, I suspect for better air flow. Overall very happy and the built in vudu 1080p movies look fantastic and sound excellent on my 5.1 HK system. You wouldn't think going from 65 inch to 73 would make too much of a difference, but I really does and I cant wait to watch 3d.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've had them all, February 29, 2012
Randy M "rdm" (Des Moines, IA United States) - See all my reviews
I've had various sizes of plasma's 50" and 65", has an LCD 1080p 65", and two 3D by LG both the active 3D and the newer passive LG 3D LED TV. And now for the first time, a DLP 73" 3D (active) Mits # 73740. BY FAR this Mits DLP 3D TV has the best picture ever I've owned. I didn't buy from my usual Amazon source, actually found a lower price. With the proper good quality HD source, this DLP TV can't be beat (in my opinion). I use VUDU a lot and this TV has the VUDU app, as well as internet (naturally). Streaming HDX movies from VUDU look fantastic! Nice huge 73" DLP TV, and the sound is pretty good as well. I just ordered a pair of 3D glasses for this set from Amazon. Im not that much into 3D, but having had the LG 3D TV's, I have a few 3D movies to watch. But for a huge excellent HD TV, this Mits 73740 offers the best in home viewing. If you have this TV, go into VUDU (you need to register for a free account), then in VUDU under "COLLECTIONS", go to "Dolby Digital 7.1" and rent the FREE CLIP "Art Of Flight Clip" in HDX quality. It's a FREE rental. Now play it on your Mits 73740 DLP TV. If that isn't eye candy (as they say), I don't know what is. Only a Mits HD DLP TV could display such a fantastic picture as with this free VUDU clip. One clip is worth a 1000 words. I can't wait to try 3D on this TV. Since DLP uses moving parts and a lamp for the light source, I suggest an extended warranty. Mine came with a two year factory warranty. Add an extended if you can just for peace of mind, because you will want to enjoy this TV for many years. 5 stars without any hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars First DLP TV, January 2, 2012
I have been using LCD, Plasma, and LED for a long time and wanted to upgrade from my 50" to a larger size. After finding Mitsubishi's DLP line I was sceptical about how cheap the TV's were for the size- so I went down to a local reatailer to see what the buzz was about and fell in love.

I have owned my 73" Mits DLP for about 2 weeks and here are my findings.

1) Picture is fantastic. The 6 color technology in this DLP TV is amazing- I have never seen such vivid yellow, reds, blues, and greens before. The out of the box color calibration on this C11 model is fantasic and just needs generic tweeks per type of entertainment I'm watching (Animated movies like Kung Fu Panda, Action movies like Lord of the Rings, Sports like football and golf) and the colors just pop. Blacks are extremely dark and whites are so rich it can make your eyes hurt with awesomeness.

2) The size is HUGE. Turn off the lights for the best experience- you feel like your in the movie theatre. Recommended you set it up in a dark room like a basement to keep the sun off the screen. Its a matte screen so there isn't alot of glare- but bright light on the screen causes some of the brightness to be lost.

3) 3D ready- I bought the 3DC1000 starter kit to go along with this TV and its a better 3D experience than the movies. I've noticed 3D on LCD and LED TV's makes it look like scences are played in layers with a '3d effect' BUT with the DLP 3d technology it adds a serious increase in 3D performance. The TV looks as if its infinity deep and objects pop off the screen at you (a lot like the theatre experience but better) plus the glasses are confortable. Dont get skimpy and just buy the emitter and glasses- it works but doesnt produce as good of a 3D experience. (NOTE: you dont need a 3D blu-ray player if you have a PS3- with the recent updates it now plays 3D Blu-Rays!)

4) Video games are SWEET. I play alot of first person shooters like Call of Duty, and adventure games like Dark Siders- and I never miss a detail in the game, everything is just that rich. My Wii makes bowling feel like your at the bowling alley, Xbox Kinect makes you feel like your in the game with Dance Central and Kinect Adventures. I hook up my computer to watch videos on it and play MMO's like WOW and SWTOR and the ambiance is amazing.

5) Cable TV- looks fantastic but recommend you have HD cable with an HDMI connection. Once you start watching high def movies and video games you crave the experience and the lack of quality in a coaxial connection makes you not want to watch standard television.

Only thing everyone complains about this TV is the sound quality because it is not that great for movies or games (good enough for just TV shows tho). I have always owned a nice stereo so the bad sound bar on the TV was not a concern for me. TV looks best if its close to ground level (buy the stand, or build something that sits the same height) and you are sitting somewhat directly in front of it- sitting off to the side you lose a little of the brightness and I dont mind it- just saying if you are picky be concious of that.

Delivery was free and fairly fast (1 week and the box is the size of a refridgerator). The TV is lighter than you would expect and easily moved with 2 people. If you are considering this purchase- find a store that carries this one and check it out, you wont be disappointed. Buy from Dell as they almost always have the best price and free delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great and Big 3D TV!, November 12, 2011
Recently purchased this TV, Sony S580 3D Blue Ray player Sony BDP-S580 Blu-ray Disc Player (Black), and 3D glasses from 3Active 3ACTIVE 3D Glasses Double-Pack Kit for Mitsubishi DLP 3D TV's. Includes IR Emitter.. Attached to my Onkyo 7.1 stereo system Onkyo HT-S5400 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver/Speaker Package using digital coax cable because I could not get the Sony player to recognize the TV via HDMI through the receiver. This is a Sony or Onkyo issue. It would be nice if the TV supported audio via HDMI out or via an optical cable.

Comcast has two 3D channels plus additional content available via their On Demand service. One channel used side by side and the other used top and bottom. Had to use the menu to manually select the appropriate 3D option as the automatic setting did not do the job.

Watching Lion King The Lion King (Four-Disc Diamond Edition Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray / DVD / Digital Copy) from Blue Ray player in 3D was great! Some blurring due to the quickness in some of the scenes. I don't know if this was a Mitsubishi or Sony issue or an issue with the movie. However, watching sports, TV shows, and movies in 3D via Comcast was amazing!

Despite these minor issues, we love the TV. We were never impressed by 3D in movie theaters or at Disney. However, now we are hooked on 3D and cannot wait from more content to be available. Also, I would have really like to have purchased the 84 inch instead of the 73 inch.

1.0 out of 5 stars It Will break!!! No question, and Mitsubishi won't help you!, July 3, 2013
allen mando (DES PLAINES, ILLINOIS, US) - See all my reviews
my tv has been not working for almost 3 months now. Mitsubishi customer service does not care at all! I'm not exaggerating! They just don't care! repair company they've sent has no clue what to do. Bbb complaint came back same response from mitshu.." You have a warranty, so we won't refund your money" yeah, but I'm paying for a warranty that isn't working. IM PAYING FOR CABLE I CAN'T EVEN USE. MITSUBISHI SAYS IT'S NOT THEIR PROBLEM!!!!! STAY AWAY!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price, January 14, 2013
Well I just bought this TV and all I can say is That it was a money well spent. The TV is awesome. Attached is picture of the TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars This TV is fantastic, November 6, 2012
I purchased this TV in July 2012 (have had it for 4 months now), and I have to say I am very pleased with the product. I primarily use it to play Xbox, but it is also used to watch HD shows and movies. I haven't used the 3D features yet, but I've got no complaints so far. The sound is crisp, the picture is sharp, and overall quality of the TV is way better than the price point. Did I mention it's absolutely massive? I was on the fence for this model and the 82", this one was cheaper by a few hundred dollars so I thought I'd "settle" (heh) for the smaller. I honestly don't think I could have fit the larger one up my stairs, as the 73" barely fit.

TL;DR
Great TV, HUGE, doooo eeeet.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Mitsubishi WD-73740 73-Inch 1080p Projection TV (2011 Model)
Used & New from: $1,997.00