4.0 out of 5 stars This TV rocks! - UPDATE - Lamp lasted 8 months, December 30, 2012
Shane H. (Colorado USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mitsubishi WD-82842 Diamond 82" Class 3D Home Cinema TV (Electronics)
I have had this TV for about 4 months now. It has worked flawlessly and the picture is beautiful. This was a replacement for my older 63" Samsung 720p DLP. The one con that I've noticed is when watching some TV shows, particularly sports, there is occasional blurring but I think this must come from the upscaling required from the broadcast signal to 1080p. This doesn't happen very often but I never noticed it on my 720p TV. Must be the upscaling. Not sure how this compares to other 1080p TVs.

The 3D is amazing as well. I bought a set of Samsung SSG-4100GB 3D Active Glasses for less than twenty bucks a piece and they work great. I had the opportunity to see a 3D movie on it that I had seen in 3D in the theatre. The TV was better!

Overall, I just love my TV. I do have a big living room and probably could have gotten away with the 92" but this one works very nice. Even when you get closer it is still a crisp picture. Pretty decent viewing angle as well.

I would buy this again if I needed another one. Try getting 82 inches of TV for the price in any other technology. Not going to do it.

UPDATE 4/10/2013 - This morning I turned on the TV...nothing but a status light that turned solid red after a minute. Went through online troubeshooting and ended up calling Mitsubishi customer service. They immediately said it was the lamp and are shipping me a new one. The customer service was good. The lamp is covered under warranty. But, 8 months? Eesh. The old Samsung DLP that is about 7 years old still has the original lamp. I still love the Mitsubishi but I hope the new lamp lasts longer than 8 months.

UPDATE 4/12/2013 - New lamp installed. TV looks beautiful again.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the best things I have ever purchased!, January 29, 2013
I must tell you, I was really on the fence about buying a DLP tv. I read so many arguments for and against them and finally decided to just go ahead and buy one mostly because it was so big. I purchased it on Amazon and the seller was Pauls TV. I read so many complaints about the delivery and I was terrified but everything went very smooth. My TV was delivered in just a little over a week with no damage.

The TV is awesome. I mean it is 10 times better than I thought it would be. I could not be happier with it. The picture is clear and very pleasing to the eye, unlike the LED tvs which I find unrealistic. I actually bought a 70 LED and took it back before I bought this TV. I am so happy with my purchase and each day that passes I find myself loving this TV more and more.

Let me tell you all the great things about this TV. First of all, It is HUGE! The picture is beautiful. It's 3D! We watched the Avengers 3D on this TV and it was better than a movie theater. The soundbar that is built in is actually pretty awesome. I haven't even turned on my surround sound system. While watching the Avengers movie, I found myself thinking several times during the movie "wow that is just the tv speaker". It sounded good.

If you are on the fence like I was, just buy one. This is your last chance since they are not making them anymore. I am so happy with this TV. It has exceeded all my expectations and then some.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great T.V....Shipping Company...not so much :-/, January 17, 2013
I purchased the Mitsubishi WD-82842 for a great price form Paul's TV. Right out of the box...the TV looks and sounds great. I have owed a couple of Mitsubishi TV's and I have always been very happy with the picture quality, longevity, and durability of every model. I wanted to leave a totally positive review because the TV is awesome....BUT the delivery process was a bummer. Home Direct USA only services my city once per week...so I had to wait a bit longer for the TV to be delivered...no big deal. However, on the day the TV was to be delivered, I did not receive the 30 minute courtesy call that was promised and the TV didn't show up in the 4 hour window as promised. The problem??? They tried to deliver the TV (my TV) to the home next door...twice!!! Even with clearly marked house numbers...they knocked, rang the doorbell, waited, and left a note...AT THE WRONG HOUSE. I called to find out what was up...after speaking with a rude dispatcher who told me they might have to reschedule for the following week (NOT!!!); they tried to deliver the TV again...TO THE WRONG HOUSE. This time the driver called and said "we are at your door". The TV was unpacked and ready to deliver...TO THE WRONG HOUSE. Once I opened my front door and shouted "OVER HERE"...I finally got my TV. I will probably buy another TV or two from Paul's TV but I will pick them up myself! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an awesome TV!!, February 23, 2013
The Story:
I have been watching the "840" series televisions ever since they were announced at CES. I immediately wanted the 92", but living in a townhouse I was not able to fit it in my room. The $5,999 price tag was also a little too steep for me. So, I thankfully waited. I talked myself into settling for an 82", and about that time the "842" series came out, with several improvements. I believe these units started over $4k, which was still out of my price range. I waited and waited until they dropped low enough. Once Mitsubishi made the announcement that they were discontinuing DLP's, I knew it was now or never to upgrade. So, I bit the bullet, and found that Paul's TV had the absolute best price. The ordering process was very smooth, and they were very professional.

The "White Glove Delivery" service, however, was not a great experience. Paul's TV uses Home Direct USA, and I had read some bad reveiews about the delivery, so I was kind of expecting it to not go smooth. This TV is MASSIVE, and they sent 1 person to deliver it...
I'm physically handicapped, so I was unable to help the delivery guy, even though I would think "White Glove Delivery" wouldn't entail the customer helping bring in the package. The delivery guy DROPPED my TV in my garage from the cart he used to bring it in from the truck, but thankfully no damage was done. I notified Paul's TV of the incident, and they seemed very concerned. I don't judge a company by whether they make mistakes or not, but how they handle mistakes if they are made. Paul's TV handled it great!

The Product:
The TV is beautiful. The picture is amazing, and gaming on it is life-like. Watching a movie on it is something that really spoils you, as you won't have a similar viewing experience unless someone has spent some money on an entertainment room.

I was a bit disappointed in a few of the features:
- I fully intend on getting a legit sound system to accompany the TV, but I was hoping that the soundbar would be better than it is.
It is far superior to stereo speakers from a crappy TV, but it pales in comparison from an actual sound system, which shouldn't
surprise many people.
- I was super excited about the iPhone/iPad app to use to hopefully replace the physical remote control; however, the app only works
if cellular data is turned off. It appears that Mitsubishi isn't doing anything to remedy this issue.
- I was excited about the remote PC feature, but it involves needing a USB hub, a mouse/keyboard hooked to the TV itself. So, it's not
as seemless as something like "airplay" on the Apple TV, but I guess for some people it is worth it to use.
- The phyiscal remote control isn't backlit like my WD65833 remote was. Why they would downgrade remotes is beyond me.
- The 3D emitter that is in the 842 series isn't compatible with my 6 pairs of glasses that I used with my old TV, as the new emitter
uses Bluetooth technology. My old emitter is having issues displaying 1080p, and I cannot get the PS3 to recognize that my TV is 3D
while using the emitter. So, I think I'm just going to get BT glasses from Paul's TV and try to sell my old ones.

Even though I listed my disappointments, I still give this product a 5-star rating. After using Disney's WOW Calibration Blu-ray, the picture is just simply amazing. This is my 3rd Diamond Line Mitsubishi DLP television to buy, and unfortunately it has to be my last since they aren't making them anymore. I just hope this thing lasts a long time, or at least long enough until the 4X HD tv's are cheaper.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect, December 5, 2013
Outstanding picture and features...it is true that unimpressive 3D in-theater becomes solid 3D on this TV at home...and great in-theater 3D stays great on this set. What keeps it from getting a five is the hotspotting if you are not sitting at the exact right height and in the center of the screen. Otherwise, great, big, fun TV with all the features of today's latest TVs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best TV ever!, September 16, 2013
This TV is sooo amazing. It has beat all expectations I ever had for it and then some. The picture is amazing on the high Def channels and the soujd even without our surround sound hooked up is wonderful. I would recommend this TV to everyone!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV and nice service from vendor! Thanks!, March 23, 2013
This is a huge rear projection TV and I'm sorry folks, one of the last of it's kind (unless you buy them used). It has a very good picture, sound and looks good. Was packed and shipped very well. Good communication from the vendor. The rear projection TV's are loosing demand as LCD/LED's get bigger and less expensive. This is our 2nd rear projection TV, the other huge one finally died after like 20 years of good performance. Very good price for an 82" screen and we wanted to get another one before they go away.

5.0 out of 5 stars TV IS AWESOME!!!!, February 15, 2013
wow!!!!! i lost my 75" mitsubishi dlp in hurricane sandy, so i upgraded to the 82". i must say it was a great move. this tv is awesome. from sports to movies to gaming this tv is the best. waiting to get the 3d glasses to check out that feature. well worth the price. thanks sandy! LOL

Rate and Discover Movies