5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV!
Well what is there to say... I am glad there are so many reviews out there that make such a big deal about certain "flaws" this TV purportedly has; not because this swayed me from buying the TV, but instead because it made them seem so insignificant once the TV arrived...

Published on December 21, 2011 by CaptainTaco

3.0 out of 5 stars Large and great when it works
I have had some issues here with this TV. First I don't broadcast my SSID so getting it on WiFi only happens when I broadcast the SSID. Customer support is NON EXISTENT. They don't care nor understand any of your worries. You're on your own so you should be somewhat technically knowledgeable for this unit. It occasionally displays a blinking green LED and will not turn...
Published 19 months ago by Duty4U

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV!, December 21, 2011
This review is from: Mitsubishi WD-92840 92-Inch 1080p 3D Projection TV (2011 Model) (Electronics)

Let us start with the obvious, this TV is absolutely massive. People displayed on the TV are literally life sized and in some cases larger. That being said, I have this TV in a fairly large room, however, it is a rather odd shaped room and the seating positions have to be altered accordingly, so for all intents and purposes I will call this room 12x13 (These are the dimensions of the room if you were to outline around where the couch has to be, all the way around to where the TV has to be). This places viewer's heads about 9 feet from the screen when seated. What I can tell you is this is absolutely fine when viewing HD content, be it off a cable box, computer, or Blu-ray, there are many that have commented "you need to sit at least X feet away from the TV", some claiming 12 feet or 14 feet; while I cannot speak for these people, I can assure you at 9 feet HD content looks great.

THX has a formula to calculate the best viewing distance for a given TV (assuming you are viewing HD content) the formula is screen size divided by 0.84. So for this TV, 92/0.84 = 109.52 inches, or about 9.13 feet. That being said, standard definition content is not so appealing at this distance... Technically you would have to be about 20 feet away for standard definition content to look good... but who watches standard definition on a 92 inch TV?

The next big gripe about this TV was the reflectivity of the screen, the reviews I had read had me quite worried about this. For this I have good news and bad news, the good news is it is not nearly as reflective as some made it sound, the bad news is that it is still fairly reflective... The easiest way to put it is this, if you are coming from a matte display such as an older Mitsubishi DLP or certain LCD/LED's this display is going to seem extremely reflective (which is why I assume so many people complained, they likely were used to these completely anti-glare displays). However, I came from an older plasma TV (a Pioneer Elite) and the display on this Mitsubishi is no more reflective than the display on my old Plasma. To give you a good comparison that you can view in case you can't find this TV in a store, the display is about 30% LESS reflective than a standard glossy laptop screen (which is what I was expecting based on reviews). In other words, standard room darkening blinds will be more than enough to prevent significant glare while the TV is on. I have also viewed the TV with the lights on in the room without any interference as well. While the light will reflective off the TV a bit, it is something you will get used to to the point where you will no longer notice it (I was already used to it from my old plasma) and it certainly won't block you from viewing the content on the screen.

The colors on this TV are great, though they may need some adjusting when you get the TV. I personally have a low cost monitor calibrator that I used on the TV, it basically tells you what to adjust and you just make the changes in the menu. The only problem with the one I had is it was based on a 3 color display (RGB), this TV has 6 colors, so if you can find one that can handle the 6 colors it may make things easier. For most people the stock settings are probably fine and no calibration is needed, some people are just a bit pickier.

Brightness and Contrast... While the television may not be as bright as some of the newer LED/LCD TV's on the market you have to keep a couple things in mind... The first, it is 92 inches, if you had a 92 inch LCD TV, I can bet it would be significantly dimmer than its 55 inch brethren from a simple standpoint of power... It takes a lot of power to light up a screen that big, companies have to meet EnergyStar standards and that is not always easy... The second, the point of a DLP tv is to replicate a movie theater experience, when is the last time you went to the movies and got blinded by the overly bright screen? Regardless, the brightness is more than adequate, though if you are looking for brightness it does benefit from turning off the "energy saving" option in the menu; just keep in mind if you do this the bulb will burn out quicker and you will be using more wattage to power the TV (I am not entirely sure of the numbers). The Contrast on the TV is very good, though I have seen several Matrix Backlit LED televisions that have deeper blacks, but that is part of the Matrix Backlit LED technology, being able to dynamically turn off/darken individual sections of the tv to gain deeper blacks. The WD-92840 certainly has better blacks than most LCD/LED TV's on the market and is fairly on par with most high quality Plasmas.

The last thing I will mention is the viewing angles. Common to all DLP TV's this one is no exception, if you stand up while watching the TV you are going to notice a significant change in brightness, the same applies to walking to the sides. The change is more noticeable when standing up and sitting down than when moving from side to side, though it is apparent regardless. Similarly when sitting in front of the TV you may notice the middle of the screen is brighter than the sides, this is common to all Projection based displays, if you can't stand that, a DLP TV is not for you. That being said, it is not the worst thing in the world, if you are standing your eyes adjust to the brightness, the only time you notice is in the act of actually standing up from a sitting position, or the reverse.

One other comment, if you are going to get a stand you really want to look for one within the 12-14 inch height range. For me, while sitting on the couch, a stand that is 12 inches high raises the TV exactly enough to have the middle of the screen at eye level.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excetional color! Amazing TV in the right room., December 31, 2011
I am not new to Big DLPs. I have owend or currently own the following DLPs: a 56" Sammy, a 65" HP, a 72" Sammy, an 82" Mitsubishi and now the new 92" WD92840. All are still in service either at my house or a close relative's home. Each time I bought a newer larger set, the the newer TV was a step forward in a number of ways. Th WD-92840 is a giant leap forward in almost every way not just its jumbo dimensions. I am not a DLP or any other TV technology fan boy. I also own Plasma and LED/LCD displays. I am a fan of value and DLP means bang for the buck. The WD-92840 at $3999 was the ultimate in big bang for the buck.

Leaving aside the sheer size and heft of this TV It is the new clear screen that separated this TV from previous rear projection DLPs. There are tradeoffs to having the clear screen and this set will not be right for every room. First the very good:

Excellent sharpness
Very good blacks
Bright Display -This set has amazing brightness considerting it is using the same wattage lamp Mits was using on 60" DLPs only last year. It is in fact much brighter than my 82" set which also has a 180 watt lamp. That the 92" is so much brighter then my 2009 82" is very surpising considering the lamp is illuminating 30 percent more screen.

Color can be adjusted to near perfect, older Mits sets were not noted for accurate color. The color accuracy of this set is very. very good, and can be calibrated to near perfect. I have not used the internal color controls as yet. I am using an external video processor (DVDO DUO) and Chromapure software to do an auto-calibration. The Video Processor and the ChromaPure software together give the capability to atuo-calibrate.This kind of capability is similar to Audyssey on an AVR receiver. It is only recently avialable and is something a kin to magic for someone who has only done it manually. The results are amazing and achieve professional ISF/THX calibrator levels results. I am getting near reference calibrations without any hand tweaking on the set itself. The end results are simply stunning.

The lamp is in the burn in stage and has some 120 hours on it during this period most people would not bother to calibrate a set this new as the lamp changes brightness and color significantly in the first couple hundred hours. This is true of just about all lamp based projection systems. Because I have the capability to auto-calibrate I don't mind redoing it several times until the lamp becomes stable. After the lamp burn in is fully complete I will recalibrate every few hundred hours to keep the calibration perfect.

The set is producing 45 ft lamberts claibrated an astonishing number for a set this size and cost. Standard for a front projector is 16 ft lamberts. When the calibration is done, the grayscale, gamma, and color are near perfect. My latest gamma, and color charts showed almost no error and what error is there was way below the threshold of visual detection. Although I have not used the internal controls to do a calibration yet, I am confident similar results can be obtained using them alone. My 2009 82" Mits was much more of a challenge to get color right and required a lot of hand tweaking even with the Video Processor and the internal controls. Even with all the hand tweaking the earlier set was underaturated somewhat and no amount of fiddling could get it perfect. The 92840 has very nicely saturated primaries.

So big, bright, accurate color, those are the main ingredients for a superior dispaly. This set has all those. I use a high end surround sound system so I did not evaluate the internal sound bar system. My room is 19' x 23'. I don't belive the internal sound system can fill that room well enough to meet my expectaions. Although ,in a smaller room using a good subwoofer for which there is jack, the internal sound would likely suffice.

The down side for this TV is the flip side of what makes it great, that is the clear screen. The clear screen is highly reflective like on many laptops today, so you don't want light shining directly into the screen. Even though the screen can get very bright, it still is at its best in a light controlled room for critical viewing. For ordinary viewing I recommend a dimmed room to keep the reflections at bay.

Ideally, Mitsubishi should have used a high quality anti-glare treatment on the screen. From an image quality perspective keep in mind this screen is big and watching poorly mastered standard definition content will look bad.Because of its size and clairty his set hides no defects in the source. Generally today people watch mostly HD material. Don't buy this set to watch lousy camera phone SD video. High quality SD DVDs will look fine, HD broadcasts and Blu-Ray are what this set is all about. Football is mind blowing and fast motion is no problem, the hockey puck is easily followed and never disappears like on so many LCDs.

I have no interest in the minimal suite of apps Mitsubish provides and have yet to plug in an ethernet cable. I will though as Mitsubish does automatic firmware ugprades.

I bought my WD-92840 from Circuit City, so no sales tax, shipping was free and the set arrived with little drama. Two men came and they dollied the set into my living room and set it down in front of my TV stand. This is one heavy beast, unpacking is straightformard and a couple of neighbors lifted the set up on the stand for me. If you don't have the exta help get "white glove" delivery.

Be reasonable this is not a display for a room full of windows. For that you need a superbright matte screen LED/LCD. Set this guy up in a room with subdued room lighting with your lighting placed off axis. Ideally use a stand under 14". I have a 15" stand and while 15" is okay, it does not put your eyes when seated at the center of the screen which is the sweet spot where color is most accurate ad brightness is highest.

If Mitsubishi had used a high grade, camera quality, anti-reflective coating on the screen.. this review would be a 5 star rating. This is by far the best, DLP I have ever purchased. If you don't need the extra size the WD-82840 would be an even better choice as it would be even brighter. In my case with a 14 ft viewing distance the 92" is still short of ISF and THX suggested screen size for the viewing distance.

This beast is a solution for people who want a true cinematic presentaion but for whom front projection is not an option. 100" plasmas are available to also fill this need but they are tens of thousands of dollars and require substantial amounts of extra power and cooling in the room. This is a 4 thousand dollar TV on the street and for the money is simply brilliant. It is unique and fills a need that average people can afford to own and operate.

4.0 out of 5 stars IT IS BIG!, October 20, 2011
David F (Springfield, VA.) - See all my reviews
I had the 73 inch wd73835 for one and a half years and was very satisfied with the picture quality and the 3D was very good as well. I upgraded to the wd92840 and am happy with the quality of most HiDef programming but the standard definition programs are not nearly as nice. It seems that the screen size magnifies any video noise and picture imperfections. The 3D quality is not as good as the 73 inch either and the screen is so much more reflective then the 73 inch as well. I love the TV size and I just close the blinds if needed. I am happy with the purchase and would do it again but I would recommend people go see the TV at a local store before buying so you understand the TVs limitations.

4.0 out of 5 stars WD-92840 - Not Perfect but Very Good Picture, January 31, 2012
I don't post many reviews (I should do it more often because I read many of them and somewhat base purchasing decisions from the reviews.)

I've had this TV for a month now and here are my thoughts. First of all this thing is pretty dang big and heavy. I'm not a videophile by any means, but the picture on this TV is the very good. I only watch HD progamming (DirecTV), so to even comment about SD programming with this TV is silly. Seriously, who buys a TV like this and watches any thing but HD programming? Colors and flesh tones are very "natural" looking on this TV. Everything is just so much bigger and still very sharp. I was actually noticing the makeup on the actors/actresses on many of the shows that my wife and I watch. Sports and especially football are phenomenal. This TV replaced a Samsung 67" HL67A750 which was their DLP with LED lights instead of the bulb, which replaced a Sony 60" KDS-60A3000 with their SXRD technology. The Mitsubishi has the best picture than the previous two, with the Sony coming in second.

The speakers are OK, but not great. I have it everything hooked up to a 7.2 Yamaha home theater receiver and never use the internal speakers, but I did use them for a week or so before getting the Yamaha. If you didn't already have a home theater setup, I'd recommend at least getting a subwoofer to complement the internal speakers.

There are many features on the TV. I hooked it up to the internet to try some of the apps. It was OK, but if I'm going to use the internet I'd rather surf on a real computer. I haven't tried any 3D viewing to comment on that. I haven't had it "calibrated" either but there are many adjustments to get the picture looking the way you want.

I read some of the other review about the reflections. Yes, they are noticeable and could be distracting. It kind of depends on your level of interest in the program your watching. The reflections do not make the TV unwatchable by any means. We watch the majority of our television at night and with the lights out, so the reflections are non-existant for that. At other times when we keep the lights on, it's just fine. I wouldn't advise putting it in a room with a lot of windows, but if you can control the lighting, the reflections shouldn't be an issue.

Bottom Line:

Pros - Very good picture. Huge Screen. Great Crisp, Clear images in HD

Cons - Heavy with Large Footprint. Reflective Screen. The large footprint and weight is to be expected with this type of technology and a screen this size. The reflective screen is what keeps this TV from being a Five Star. They say the reflective screen is what helps give it better contast. If you can control your lighting, the picture is fabulous.

Would I buy this TV again? Without hesitation.

Would I recommend it to a friend? Most Definitely.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mitsubishi BIG 92, October 13, 2011
This is for the real TV fan.
Very impressive screen size.
Great for watching sports, HD movies.
Picture quality varies alot depending on the source etc.
Some shows look really good, and others not so much.
The picture quality is not that good for dark scenes.
The screen is very reflective. So, you must watch in a dark or low lit room. No direct light on the TV!!
I have black out shades on my windows, and it works out well.
The sound system is ok, not great. I have my own surround sound system. I recommend getting your own sound system.
You need at least 10-12 ft distance between you and the TV.
If you like to watch sports and HD movies, live entertainment shows,reality shows etc. I thinkl you will really like this TV. Must be watched In HD!!for a good picture.

4.0 out of 5 stars 3D judder issue and CRT like screen glare, October 13, 2011
This DLP TV is the largest affordable set on the market today. Piture is stunning in a light controlled room. Very close to Plasmas blacks. If you choose to purchaase this TV make certain you sit 12 feet away from the unit. Place it on a stand no taller than 14 inches. The brightness /contrast has improved from the 2010 models, but at the cost of screen glare. If you do all of your TV watching at night; no problem.

Another setback for this unit is a 3D judder issue when viewing 3D movies. You will not notice it on 3D DirecTV material.

UPDATE:The 3D judder issue has been corrected with the latest firware update. You must download the zip file to a USB staorage device and plug it into the rear USB input of the TV. Unplugging the TVs power and then turning it back on while the USB device is inserted. *NOTE* Not all TVs suffer from this issue*

So, if you're into the largest AFORDABLE screen size for the money; it's a no brainer to buy this set. But, if you have a room with any light coming in; it will cause rather bothersome reflections off the TV screen.
Although dissapointing at first release, overall, I grade this set a solid grade B.

4.0 out of 5 stars All brands have defects, January 2, 2012
All brands have defects, just google "Samsung TV defect", or "Sony TV defect", or "Panasonic TV defect", or "[insert brand here] TV defect".

To the Mitsubishi spammer, who obviously has had a bad experience and hasn't taken the time to contact Mitsubishi. (I assume this based on the reports I have read of Mitsubishi fixing TVs with the white dots problem even though they are out of warranty.) Texas Instruments manufactures the DLP chips and had this chip problem arise in 2007 TVs of different brands, not just Mitsubishi. Samsung has had the same issues, but didn't stand behind their TVs. Mitsubishi does.

And it's 2012 for goodness sakes.

5.0 out of 5 stars DELIVERY METHOD CRITICAL!, December 12, 2011
This TV in the crate weighs 295 pounds. The TV itself weighs 195 pounds.
Delivery methods:
#1. "Curbside delivery". Means just what it says. You are on your own.
#2. "Front door delivery" The crate is brought up to the front door. You are allowed to inspect the crate.
#3. "Inside delivery". The crate is put just inside the front door. You are allowed to inspect the crate for damage.
#4. "White Glove" delivery. The TV is uncrated, the TV is brought into the house to the room of your choice and is plugged in to make sure that it works. You are allowed to carefully inspect for any damage. (In the past "White Glove" cost $150 and included placing the TV on the stand. They no longer do this because they say it is aganst insurance rules.)
Different companies use different delivery methods. There is usually an extra charge of $300 for "White Glove" delivery. If you are fortunate enough to have several strong, willing and able friends to help you the delivery company will notify you of the delivery time (window) and you can have your friends meet the delivery truck and assist you. Probably the best method, since friends are more likely to be careful, and certainly less expensive.
NB: AMAZON.COM USUALLY INCLUDES FREE "WHITE GLOVE" type delivery in it's total price. See "special handling". (Unfortunatly, I could not buy from Amazon.com as Amazon was not selling this set on Cyber Monday when I took advantage of a low price offer.)
The one irritating flaw of this TV is the desirability of almost total darkness (due to the mirror like surface) to fully enjoy the picture.
I felt that the picture and sound were outstanding and the on screen controls, while confusing at first, are easily mastered. In addition to the "Quick Start" sheet, there is the "basic owner's guide", and a "Supplemental Owner's Guide", etc. that can be downloaded. Every question that you might be curious about is answered.
The Mitsubishi support group was very helpful and patient, but there can be a wait for service and and you can be put on hold from time to time as things are checked. Frustrating, but they did answer all my questions and solved all my problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, but with caution!!, September 28, 2012
I bought this TV after having the 82" for about two years now. The 82" is awesome and has been a complete pleasure to own. The wife and I are gamers and we love the experience that having oversized TVs brings. The clarity of the picture and being able to see every little detail of the games we play and movies we watch is amazing. The 92" is a great TV and for the price (we caught a sale and only paid $2500) it is a no-brainer. The picture is comparable to any plasma or LCD - LED on the market right now. It is just that good.

One precaution though...I wanted the 92" TV upstairs in my home theater area and I have to say it was a nightmare getting it up there. The curvature after you reach the top of my staircase is a little tight, so the two delivery guys had to take it out of the box and then up the stairs and around the corner. Well, two people doing the job wasn't going to cut it, so I had to step in and help them out. Even though the TV is only about 200 lbs out of the box because of its size, it was darn heavy and hard to manuever even for three people. We had to turn the TV on it's long end to get it around the tight corners upstairs. Once we got it in place on the stand, I noticed that the front screens were quite warped. It was like looking into a funhouse mirror. There was also some dirt between the screens that needed to be removed as well. Well, needless to say, after all the work it took to get the TV upstairs in place, I had to reject the order. The delivery guys were not happy about it at all and I was upset as well because I had to help them take it downstairs. No fun!!

I had the replacement TV delivered a couple of weeks after that, but this time I requested the delivery company provide four delivery people and they obliged. This time the TV stayed in the box and they were able to get it upstairs. It was still a headache getting the TV around the corners upstairs, but they did it by having to turn the box on it's long end again. Once the TV was unboxed, the screens were warped again. However, this time Mitsubishi sent a technician out to replace the screens in house. For all reading this review...the screens for this TV and the 82" are kind of sensitive. Too much manuevering and moving can slightly to seriously warp them. I knew better than to have the delivery guys turn the TVs on their side, but there was no other way to get them to where I needed them to be. However, even though this experience was a true headache, the reason I gave this 92" TV 5 stars is because with all that said, I'd do it again because I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS TV!!!!

If you are having this TV delivered upstairs, I hope you have plenty of room to get the TV around corners. The 82" fit around the corners fine, but the 92" is a beast of a TV and needs a bit more space.

Once again, this TV is beautiful and I am truly happy with it. I'm confident whoever purchases it will be too, but I just wanted anyone interested to be aware of the possible challenges. Oh, one more thing, Mitsubishi's one year warranty covers defects with the screens, so if there is an issue with them (particularly upon shipment and delivery), you should be able to get them replaced.

5.0 out of 5 stars None of the Reviews above are by 92" Owners, I am, December 20, 2011
I live in SW Florida, and have daily direct sunlight on my screen, admittedly, it does affect the screen somewhat, but my wife and I watch it all day, and is as good as you can buy, or see on any other TV, and is far better than ANY Plasma TV in daylight, bar none. There is a usb port in the front, and firmware is up to date so an update is unnecessary. The picture is fantastic, 3D is better than all my friends 2011 Sharp and Sony 3D sets, though 3D games definitely work better on both their 240 hz sets. I bought a 4 year warranty, and look forward to a long, wonderful, and useful enhancement of our retirement. We couldn't be happier. Oh yes, there is one setback, if you like the NFL, keep ice close at hand cause you will feel badly bruised after watching a game!