4.0 out of 5 stars Inspire 9 Review
Published 18 months ago by D1XC

I really liked the 8's (went through 4 pair), have been using the different versions of the wave inspire for 8 years. I had tried these on once and thought they were good, similar toe box and fit, but the medial (inner) heel has different padding than the 8's did that fits just a bit differently and almost has a rub to it.

I haven't had blisters or similar,...
Published 8 months ago by Kyle

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspire 9 Review, January 6, 2013
This review is from: Mizuno Men's Wave Inspire 9 Running Shoe (Apparel)
I've been running in the inspires since the 4's, and this is definitely my favorite pair so far since the 6's. I ran through 6 different pairs of inspire 6's and for nostalgia purposes I dont think I'll ever run in a better pair of shoes than the inspire 6's. I was really worried after the 7's that Mizuno wouldnt be following the same strategy they had followed producing the past shoes. the 7's were horrible, no stability, high tops and the toe box was all out of wack and gave the worst blisters. the 8's made a huge improvement and I think mizuno realized it because the inspire 9's are very similar to the 8's. right now Im alternating between a pair of 8's and the new pair of 9's and the few differences I can tell are the height of the shoe, the 9's are much shorter, they give great flexibility around the ankle area with no rubbing. the stability is still very good, I love the stability these still offer with a little bit of over pronation that I have. The 9's are also much lighter than any other pair of inspires I think theyve ever made. They are noticably lighter than the 8's.

The two cons I have for these shoes are the material and how thin it is and how low the shoe is. The material does allow alot of air through and snow which sucks right now in the winter, but Im sure when the summer rolls around I'll be happy that its so breathable. Also the height of the shoe can be a little annoying, when its that low stuff getting stuck in your shoe happens alot more often then I would like. Both of these cons are what make the shoes so light so I guess you cant have everything.

I only have about 80 miles on these shoes right now so i'll try to update this once I reach the end of the shoes life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great shoes., February 24, 2013
Ben (Newcastle, ME) - See all my reviews
I am writing this review after putting 600 miles on these shoes. Here's what type of runner I am:

I run 30-45 miles/wk. I'm 32, 6'0", 180 lbs, with normal to narrow feet and my biomechanics are:
- very mild overpronator
- low, but strong arch, no problems ever
- slight bowed legs (slight "varus")
- forefoot striker... midfoot at worst when very tired
- normal foot rotation
- dynamic leg axis is normal
- good flexibility
- I had a enflamed anterior tibial tendon sheath once. My laces were laced too high and they had aggravated it. Rested and dropped my laces down one hole and the problem was gone.

Pros of the Inspires are an open toe box, snug extremely comfortable fit, drain well, light, supportive, and had a nice feel during my active gait. The sole is an excellent design for a heel or midfoot striker. They are incredibly comfortable shoes. I never experienced blisters or discomfort in any weather, or on any surface (aside from the self induced tendon inflammation). I have done trail runs, road runs, and runs pushing a double stroller with two kids in temps varying from -19 F to 75 F. I've run through snow, torrential rain, dust, dirt, mud, everything. No problems.

These shoes are good for anywhere between 500-600 miles. I got 600. There are two holes in each shoe (I posted the user pic), but what can you expect after the abuse I dished out to them?! I feel that two minor holes after that many miles means these shoes performed awesome!

That is the good... and there is no bad. They have a bit too high of a drop for me, but I am particular and am searching for the 'perfect' shoe for me. Mind you, I'm saying that after I made huge gains in my running ability while wearing them! I spent the last five months perfecting my running form and I am now a dedicated forefoot runner. That said, these shoes are not great for that. They have a 12 mm rise, so I hope there is something better out there! The last few months, I've had to run in a forced forefoot strike so as to not land on the heel. It doesn't cause discomfort, I just know that it is not as efficient of a gait as it could be. At the mileage I'm looking at doing, efficiency is huge. So, I'd like something with a lower drop than the Inspires, but NOT a minimalist shoe.

I'm looking at:

Trail:
New Balance Leadville 1210
Brooks Cascadia
Altra Lone Peak 1.5

My local shoe store has set all six aside, and when I get home in a few days, I'm going for some test jogs. If there is interest, I'll post my results!

To sum up. Great amazing shoes for a midfoot striker. If this is you, you will be VERY happy with these supportive shoes!

UPDATE:
I tested all of the above shoes. I ended up with the New Balance Leadville 1210 for trail shoes. They are awesome. Check out my review on their page.

For the road shoes, I tried 6 pairs out and brought two home for overnight tests. After all of that... I ended up coming back to the Inspires! These shoes are really tough to beat. The combination of support, comfort, performance and price make them a force to be reckoned with. I still feel that they could use a slightly lower drop... here's to hoping that either Mizuno feels the same, or that someone comes out with a shoe with these characteristics.

Happy running!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just bought my 3rd pair, July 26, 2013
This review is from: Mizuno Men's Wave Inspire 9 Running Shoe (Apparel)
I began training for a marathon this January, and I went to a local shop where they suggested these shoes to correct my overpronation. Previously, my longest distance was a half marathon 2 summers prior where I destroyed my legs with cheap running shoes and couldn't walk because of shin splints. With my first pair of the Mizuno Inspire 9s, fear of that becoming a problem was quickly dissipated.

Now, on my 3rd pair, I've logged over 800 miles on these shoes and have, to date, not had shin splint pains at all. I'd say that it is well worth the money! I've found them as low as 95 dollars, so they are relatively inexpensive among running shoes. I got about 350 miles out of each of my previous pairs before it became noticeable that they were deteriorating. From what I understand, 300-500 is a good amount of mileage from a pair of shoes. They don't appear to be all that worn, but the foam inside loses its effectiveness.

All in all, a marathon down, one more to go this year and these are most definitely my shoe of choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mizuno Wave 9 Review, November 21, 2012
This is the second set of Mizuno's I have had in my life, and I have been running for 38 years now. These shoes feel like the Nike's and Addidas that I used to run in during the 1970's and 80's, which is a very good thing. They have just the right amount of support and cushion which permits a nice run with the ability for speed if desired. I still need to replace them about every Three to Four months, but that is due to the cushion ability being decreased as the shoes are still in top shape physically. For the true runner, you will totally appreciate these shoes.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's probably just my foot-not as good for me as the 8's were, October 17, 2013

I haven't had blisters or similar, but would just encourage anyone to try these on at a store before you buy more than one pair-it's probably just my foot, but as one of my mentors always said, "The enemy of good, is better." I prefer the 8's.

2.0 out of 5 stars Changed from Inspire 8, October 23, 2013
I own 2 pair of the Inspire 8 and used them to train for a half marathon logging lots of milage on each pair. I purchased the Inspire 9 hoping they would be just as comfortable only to be greatly disappointed with the changes Mizuno has made. The lacing change over the instep has created a pain point for me. They must have cut back or changed the heel cup/cushioning since I am now experiencing pain in my right heel. I tried them for 2 weeks of training, but went back to my old shoes for the race. Back they go.

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT shoe for me., July 23, 2013
This review is from: Mizuno Men's Wave Inspire 9 Running Shoe (Apparel)
Let me start by saying I run 4-5 days a week and suffer from Plantar Fasciitis (PF). I have run in shoes to include Altra Provisions, Asics 2130-70s, Merrell Road Glove, Nike Structure Triax 15, Newton Motions, Newton Distance S, New Balance, and many more over my past 20 year military career. In my desperate search for a shoe that would allow me to continue running, I finally tried the Wave Inspire 9. I am so glad I did. My PF actually subsided within a week. On my fourth run, I noticed there was no foot pain. After 20 years of running, I have finally found the perfect shoe for me. I ordered the Wave Inspire 9 and the Wave Sayonara at the same time. My intent was to use the Sayonaras for my speed workouts. After running in them once, I felt an excruciating pain on the outer part of my foot. The next day I went back to the Inspire 9s. I haven't had a problem since. I wear an 11 1/2-D and ordered both shoes in that size. I have since returned the Sayonaras and I am waiting on them to arrive in a size 12-D. Until they arrive, I will continue to run in my Inspire 9s. I love these shoes. They are definitely the PERFECT shoe for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great running shoe, March 4, 2013
This is a great shoe for anyone looking for some support to prevent pronation without having a lot of extra weight. The shoe LOOKS like it would be very heavy, when in fact it is very light. I normally wear saucony and I think this is a comparable brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't run without them. IT Band and Knee Problems Solved!, January 18, 2014
Brandon (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mizuno Men's Wave Inspire 9 Running Shoe (Apparel)
I've had a history of intermittent knee problems and I have been through Physical Therapy twice. I had been running with Nike Flex 2012's for about 6 months when my knee pains returned. I decided to try new shoes and got a neutral Mizuno, but I was still unable to run. My doctor recommended PT again, which I was not thrilled about considering my first stint in PT didn't work for me. After another 10 weeks in PT without a solution, I returned the Neutral Mizunos and got the Wave Inspire 9s, which are stability shoes.

To make a long story short, my knee pain disappeared immediately. These shoes did for me what weeks of PT and running evaluations could not. I used to be conflicted between natural running research and modern shoe design. I have a pair of Vibrams, which did not help my knee. I was surprised to see that these shoes were the answer and I won't be questioning shoe mechanics any longer.

After 150 miles of running in these shoes, I will continue to wear the Mizuno Wave Inspire line from here on out. The stability correction took a few weeks to adapt to, since it changed the way my legs and feet interacted with the road. Increased tightness in the calves and shins were a side-effect, but I can run pain free now -- something I didn't think I'd be able to do again.

t hope that people out there experiencing the same issues as me will see this review and give them a chance.

2.0 out of 5 stars The size is deceptive!, July 23, 2013
Got these as a 8 two E and They were so tight I couldn't even wear them. I have another pair of Mizuno's (Wave Rider) and those fit fine. Find it very interesting that they are made from the same company and they are that much difference. I liked them other then the tightness!

Mizuno Men's Wave Inspire 9 Running Shoe