5.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you have the right Keyboard
There appears to be 2 types of Apple Wireless Keyboards. Ones that take 2 AA batteries and ones take 3 AA batteries. This device will only work with the ones that take 2 AA batteries. Turns out I have both, so it works great.
Published on November 17, 2011 by L. Knapp

2.0 out of 5 stars Charged once but has now failed; short battery life
Published on February 22, 2012 by Mark B

5.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you have the right Keyboard, November 17, 2011
This review is from: Mobee Technology Magic Bar - Inductive Charger for Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and Magic Trackpad (MO3212) (Personal Computers)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm! (But an alternative option from the same company would be less expensive), March 23, 2012
ARH (The Shadow of the Tetons) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I don't know about you, but I get tired of buying and replacing batteries in cordless devices...and doing so is not as "green" as I'd like to be.

I have been using an iMac with wireless keyboard, touchpad, and mouse for a couple of years now, and to be frank the major downside I have experienced with the whole unit is the need to have a supply of AA batteries on hand.

So far I have acquired only a rechargeable unit for my keyboard...as a kind of experiment. I was a bit skeptical about how it would really work. The bottom line? It works great.

I got my "Mobee magic bar" about a month ago. Here's my experience:

I got the unit, opened the box, and found that there was nothing more than the rechargeable battery unit, the USB-connectable charger bar, and USB connector cable. The lid of the box has only a set of sketchy images that you can follow to get things set up, but personally I like a little more info...so I went to the Mobeetechnology.com website and read more about the bar, including installation instructions.

Installation steps:

1) Open the battery compartment on the wireless keyboard, and remove the batteries.
2) Screw the rechargeable battery unit into the keyboard battery compartment (put the original wireless keyboard battery compartment cover in a safe place! - you won't need it with this unit)
3) Plug the USB cable into the back of the magic bar and then into the computer - a LED indicator light will glow red.
4) Place the keyboard in the groove on the bar and slide the rechargeable battery unit's stub into the left-hand end of the magic bar.
5) The LED light changes from red to flashing green. This means the battery is charging. (You can continue to use the keyboard while it is charging.)
6) The LED light stops flashing green and shows continuous green when charging is complete - this can take hours.

The information at the Mobee site says that a charge can last a few weeks. Mine lasted about 3 weeks for the first charge. I just recharged it a second time. I plugged it in last night before I left the office and it was charged when I came in this morning - mission accomplished.

I'm now considering getting a second rechargeable battery pack for my touch pad...

I just rechecked the Mobeetechnology.com web site and all I need to make my trackpad rechargeable is another battery unit. You can use the magic bar to recharge both (but not at the same time). A separate trackpad charger is available, but it comes with its own USB cable, and my iMac doesn't have that many USB ports, so I like that I can use the magic bar for both. An extra battery pack is listed at $29.90 (FYI the trackpad specific charger is that same price).

**MOMENT OF INSPIRATION** I just had a thought...since the battery packs are interchangeable between the wireless keyboard and the wireless trackpad, you could probably buy just the wireless recharger designed for the trackpad for $29.90 and use it in your keyboard instead of the magic bar for $59.90, and get the same overall benefit.

The magic bar does look nice, but if I were going to buy something, I'd go for the trackpad recharger for my keyboard and

Anyway, it will take quite some time for the magic bar to pay for itself in terms of the cost of batteries, but in the long run it makes sense to me to make this investment and stop tossing spent batteries!

5 stars all the way!

2.0 out of 5 stars Charged once but has now failed; short battery life, February 22, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
One thing to note, as the product description says, this unit will ony fit the Apple wireless keyboard that takes two batteries. Mine is model A1255, the three battery model, so I ended up using the rechargeable battery on my Trackpad. No problem. It was easy to set up. The charge bar is a touch bulky and adds some desk clutter. But it matches the finish of the Apple keyboard and Trackpad, which is a major plus. So I inserted the battery pack, plugged the USB cable into my computer and used the Trackpad while it charged for a few hours. The trackpad got to about 70% charged when the indicator light on the Mobee charging bar turned steady red. The only documentation in the box is some diagrams showing how to install the unit and what the indicator light means. Flashing green = charging; steady green = charged; flashing red = failed; steady red = waiting. Waiting for what? So I docked the Trackpad overnight. Of course, it will not charge overnight unless you keep the computer on or plug the USB cable into a powered hub. This means that at least for a few hours a week you will have to use your Trackpad or Apple keyboard in docked mode so it remains charged. My Trackpad went from about 70% to 0% charge in about four hours. A rather rapid discharge, so maybe my batter pack is defective? So I went to their web site and submitted an online service request (no phone number is available). I did get a quick response (from Hong Kong); but their initial advice (to remove the battery pack and put it directly in the charger) did not work. The final resolution: My Magic Bar is defective. They will replace it directly if I bought it from their web site or the Apple Online Store. Otherwise, I will need to contact the resller I bought it from (so be sure you buy it from a highly rated vendor!). So defect aside, would I buy this Magic Bar? Probably not. The charge didn't last very long; I don't want to leave my computer on overnight just to charge it; the bar adds some clutter to the desktop; reliability seems questionable (see the forum on their web site for more insight). For now, I will stick with traditional rechargeable batteries.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, September 14, 2012
I had very high hopes for this inductive charger since its intended use is exactly what I've been looking for. Unfortunately when it comes down to it this product just doesn't work like it should. Initially I had no problems and was able to use the charger on both my keyboard and trackpad, which was a huge plus. One of the key problems with this product meeting my expectations is that it only allows you to charge one device at a time, no matter how many little 'battery' bars you have.

After a month or so of use I went to pull the keyboard off the charger and was upset to find the nub part that slides into the charger had come apart from the rest of the rod. At the time I was able to get it back together but it still needs squeezed back to place every few days. Now I'm having problems getting the battery to even take a charge so the whole thing is pretty much worthless at this point.

I love the idea behind the design (and it is made of a very similar aluminum as the keyboard) but won't be buying another one until there is a way to inductively charge them without having to stick a nub into a nub home. Not to mention it looks incredibly stupid to have that half inch bump on the end of an otherwise rectangular or square item. If you're into aesthetics then this isn't the product for you. I also noticed that The battery drained way too quickly for me, I was having to stick the keyboard back in its dock e Rey couple days eventually... Sorta ruins the idea of a wireless keyboard.

4.0 out of 5 stars great charger but a bit expensive to charge two devices, January 19, 2012
Total cost of ownership (TCO) is the reason I rate this product four stars and not five. I would have been totally satisfied if I had found the battery pack sold separately at a much lower price, perhaps 50% of what I paid at Amazon.

When I bought my first Magic Bar, I assumed (somewhat naively) I could use the one set to charge both my trackpad and keyboard. (As the ad says, charges trackpad and keyboard.)

But the bundle comes with one battery pack insert. Additional battery pack inserts are available separately. The price of a new battery pack insert is 1/2 the price of the bundle. The price seems a bit steep to me.

The USB cord that comes with the charging unit seems a bit fragile. USB cable, when used frequently, can fray and split or detach from the connector. Recently I've replaced two iPod cables that died young. I don't know if the Mobee cable can be replaced with a stock cable.

I like this product so much, I bought a 2nd bundle. This is the "convenience first" approach - a somewhat costly way to avoid problems if and when the cable (or, less likely, the charger) eventually dies. But my total cost was higher than I would like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep Your Apple Peripherals Constantly Charged, February 23, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am a big fan of Bluetooth peripherals. Apple's Bluetooth Keybaord, Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse are some of my favorite consumer electronics items. They are well-built, very functional, elegantly designed, and they all have very small footprint which helps minimize the clutter on my desk. They all also have a great battery life, but changing the batteries can be a nuisance, albeit admittedly not a major one. If you'd like to stop worrying about having to change the batteries for your Apple peripherals, then Mobee's Magic Bar might be just the right product for you.

The Magic Bar is made out of single piece of anodized aluminum, matching almost exactly the look and feel of Apple products. It connects to your computer or a stand-alone USB charger through a dedicated micro-USB cable. The cradle part is exactly as long as the Bluetooth Keyboard, with the entire bar being slightly longer due to the inductive charging part at the end of the bar. The charging end of the bar has a single small led light, which indicates the charging status. The inductive battery screws in securely into either the keyboard or the trackpad, with only a small knob protruding at the end.

The first time I charged the battery I was unable to simultaneously use the keyboard. This was a bit annoying, but after it has been charged for a while you'll be able to use your peripheral as it is being charged further. It seems to take a really long time for the battery to be fully charged, and I am still to charge it completely.

The trackpad or the keyboard tends to sit in the cradle more or less snuggly, although it can also become a bit loose. This can be annoying when you are typing, as the shifting keyboard can be noisy.

The only big issue that I have with this product is its price. Mobee products tend to be overpriced, IMHO, but overall they are very well designed and made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as expected, very happy, August 24, 2011
I am very happy with this purchase and the quality of the product so far. I have seen some negative reviews of people having trouble screwing the battery pack into the keyboard but I must say I don't know what the problem is. My screwed in effortlessly and works great. I have had this for 2 weeks already and have not had to recharge yet. Still waiting for the extra battery pack for my trackpad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charge me up!, April 8, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
To install this, I unscrewed the battery cap on my relatively recent Apple Wireless Keyboard (2 AA battery version), took the batteries out, and replaced them with the supplied battery and cap. Took about two minutes, and was easy to do. I don't have a trackpad, so I can't comment on that, though it is supposed to work with that as well.

I plugged mine into a spare Apple USB "cube" charger because I use my keyboard on a desk without a computer (I use it with my iPads). This worked fine, and as long as the battery cap is sitting in the charger, it will charge. It is wireless, but the base is touching the cap, so it isn't like it will just charge being nearby.

The fit and finish on this product is first-rate, and matches the keyboard exactly, or at least so closely it won't bother you. It looks and feels like a piece of Apple equipment, which is great.

For me, I do wonder if it is necessary. That's because the Apple rechargeable batteries I was using before last a really long time, so it wasn't that big a deal to swap them out when needed. The Mobee device does add a bit of bulk, which isn't as good for travel. Still, by leaving it in the charger, I know it is always fully charged and ready to go, so that is a pretty big advantage. Also, not everyone has good rechargeables, so if you are using disposable batteries for your keyboard, this is a terrific alternative.

Overall, I'd say it isn't a necessary purchase, but is fun to have, works well, and looks good.

Sean P. Logue, 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS ACTUALLY HARD TO RATE AS I'LL EXPLAIN BELOW., August 13, 2013
I'm trusting that this charger will work well . . . if it's for your particular kind of Apple keyboard. The picture in the advertisement is misleading, which will lead many, I assume, to believe that this charger will work for their keyboard. Let me explain. I bought an Apple iMac desktop computer several years ago. Fabulous computer! No complaints whatsoever. Except, because of very much use, the batteries in the wireless keyboard wear out frequently. My keyboard uses 3 of AA batteries, which can be quite expensive to replace on a frequent basis. So, when I found out about this charger, I was delighted, thinking that it would solve my problem. -- Now, here's the bad news. This charger works Apple keyboards that use only 2 of the AA batteries, but not for the 3 of the AA battery version, which I have. The 2 battery version and the 3 battery version keyboards look identical from the outside. So, I assumed that this charger would work for me. I tried to use it, and of course, it didn't work. What a disappointment. I contacted the seller, and they would not accept a return, because the charger had already been "used". So, I'm stuck with a charger that I can't use for my particular keyboard. What a waste of money. -- But, what is even more disappointing is that they don't make chargers for the 3 battery version keyboards, only for the 2 battery versions. I contacted Mobee to find out why they don't make a charger for the 3 battery version of keyboard, which I have. I was told that I have an old style Apple keyboard, and it's been replaced by a newer style 2 battery version. The newer version 2 battery keyboard is very pricey, especially considering that the 3 battery version keyboard that came with my computer works just fine, therefore I'm hesitant to replace it. So, I'll just live with the older 3 battery version keyboard and continue changing the batteries. But, I'm now using reuseable ni-cad batteries, and recharging them in a separate charger. So, I'm saving a little money that way. -- Final word . . . If you have the 2 battery version of the Apple wireless keyboard, then I believe this charger will work fine for you, and you'll certainly be saving money by not having to replace batteries. Again, just be sure that this charger will work for your particular keyboard before you buy it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pointless, December 14, 2013
This turned out to be a needless product. Sure, you can charge wirelessly and all, but the battery life is too short to make it worth having an extra peripheral on your desk. Either the charger will sit on your desk gathering dust or you have to take it out and put it away often.

From my regular use, the included battery bar lasts about 12 days before drifting into the red. On the other hand, I've had my trackpad and keyboard run on rechargeable batteries for 2-3 months without swapping (which I don't even find it that annoying).

Another downside is the battery bar sticks out about 1/2 an inch and prevents me from putting my trackpad and keyboard together (and it doesn't look great).

So just go buy some rechargeable AA's. It'll give you longer life and less footprint.

Rate and Discover Movies