[Note: I'm re-posting this to help others that are having some issues getting this to work]

"Setting the record straight for those that has had bad experiences"

Written by SG from CALGARY
Dec 9, 2011

Some past reviews complained of:
1. Charger not working properly
2. Battery remaining indicator doesn't report properly in...
Published on December 18, 2011 by Benz

2.0 out of 5 stars Variation from one unit to another
*** ORIGINAL UNIT ***

I read the mixed reviews before purchasing, convinced that the complaints were the result of improper installation, and confident that I, an engineer, could follow directions and install it correctly. However, no matter what I did I couldn't get the mouse to power on.

I unpacked the components, plugged the base into my...
Published on July 1, 2012 by Anabolism

4.0 out of 5 stars Setting the record straight for those that has had bad experiences, December 18, 2011
This review is from: Mobee Technology Magic Charger - Inductive Charger for Apple Magic Mouse (MO2212) (Personal Computers)

"Setting the record straight for those that has had bad experiences"

Written by SG from CALGARY

4. Charger base dies an early life
5. Battery falls out
6. Mouse bluetooth connectivity randomly fails

Of these 6 major complains I can say this:
1. Charger MUST not be placed on the aluminum base of the iMac or a metallic surface. The system works by using inductive charging. Metallic surfaces will completely render the charger useless. Place it on a wood desk and it will charge the battery fine.
2. Normal alkaline/lithium AA batteries operate at 1.5 volts/battery. NiMH and Ni-Cad rechargeables are designed to work at 1.2 volts / battery. This 0.3 volts difference in the cells explains why the battery % indicator in OSX doesn't report 100% charge b/c of this voltage difference. Apple SHOULD allow users of OSX to select the type of battery that is installed in their input devices so that the battery % indicator is more representative of what is the actual life instead of basing on the assumption that battery cell voltage is always 1.5 volts / battery when in a 100% state.
3. Battery fit and finish in fact is excellent on the unit I purchased. The key is to pay close attention to the install. Place the upper portion of the battery into the mouse first and tip the battery into the mouse and engage the locking tab. Press firmly down on the battery further until you can manually move the locking tab into the fully engaged position. Once locked the slight outward pressure of the battery pack will keep it locked in place. I've banged my mouse around deliberately on my desk to make the battery pack disengage and fall out. So far so good.
4. Can't comment on the charger's life expectancy but it does carry a 1 year warranty through Mobee Technologies and if you purchase it on a credit card then your warranty is doubled to 2 years anyways.
5. Please refer to point 3 and FULLY engage the lock tab on the bottom of the mouse. Don't just press fit it in, press firmly and LOCK the tab in place so it fully catches the edge of the lock tab cutout.
6. Can't say that in the few days I've used the mouse that I've lost connectivity. Some reports have said that the connectivity loss is a direct result of the battery falling out. If point 3 is followed then there should be no reason why the mouse would stop communicating with your computer.

Overall after paying very close attention to the fine details of the charger and battery pack I give it a 4 star rating. Pay particular attention as to how the battery should be installed (tuck upper portion of the battery into mouse FIRST and then firmly lock the tab on the bottom. Last but not least don't place the charger on ANY metal surfaces (esp the foot of the iMac base).

Recommendations to improve this product:
1. Include detailed install instructions so that others can't inadvertently try to drop the battery pack into the mouse without first tucking in the upper edge. Common sense isn't so common for some users.
2. Not related to product - Apple OSX needs to revise their battery reporting schema to allow users to tell OSX what type of batteries their using.
3. Price - This unit isn't cheap. Consider that you can buy the equivalent eneloop batteries for HALF the cost to accomplish the same result is a tough sell for some.
4. HAVE a CLEARLY VISIBLE warning to product users to NOT place the charger on metallic surfaces. It simply doesn't work when sitting on metal or the base of the iMac.
5. Include a passthrough USB cable so that it can still be plugged into a computer BUT allow another USB device cable to be plugged into it.
6. Speed up charging times to about 1 hour vs. 6.

2.0 out of 5 stars Variation from one unit to another, July 1, 2012
*** ORIGINAL UNIT ***

I unpacked the components, plugged the base into my computer, placed the battery pack on the base and let it fully charge. I then installed the battery pack, being very careful to make sure it was snug and the locking tab fully engaged. No joy. The pack is so snug I had to pry it out with a tiny screwdriver (scraping the mouse). I've repeatedly removed and re-inserted the battery pack but am unable to get it to work. What a frustrating day!

*** REPLACEMENT UNIT ***

After finally giving up with my original unit, I concluded the unit must be defective and requested an exchange from Amazon. When the new unit arrived, I unpacked it, plugged the charger base into my computer, placed the batter pack on the charger, and waited for the light to stop blinking (I did this before going to bed, and in the morning it was fully charged). This unit slid right in to the mouse, no muss, no fuss, no screaming in frustration. So far, it works perfectly.

Conclusion: perhaps due to manufacturing issues (pure conjecture on my part), it seems that some units are defective and don't fit into the mouse properly and/or won't provide power to the mouse, while other units are fine.

*** UPDATE AFTER TWO MONTHS ***

The unit stopped working after two months. This has been extremely frustrating. I really wanted this product to work, and have spent a lot of time and effort on it.

4.0 out of 5 stars It works and the price is right, April 24, 2011
Ragnar Danneskjöld (Just Over the Horizon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I love this charger, I inserted the battery and rested it on the charger. Been doing this since I had it with off and on charging. It also gives my mouse a home. (Love to see one for the magic trackpad which eats batteries!)

The only negative is that the battery pack is like the bottom plate with "batteries" attached, and it's sometimes a poor fit getting it on and off. Once in a while it tries to pop off, so I think the design team should look closely at their manufacturing tolerances, especially with respect to the plastic clip which holds the cover on.

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not function as advertised., April 1, 2011
G. Mathew Lombard III (New York, New York United States) - See all my reviews
I have had this item for 4 days now. I cannot get it to work. I have contacted the manufacturer (NOT the seller). When I first received the item, I placed the rechargeable battery in my Magic Mouse and placed the Magic Mouse on the charging bed. 25+ hours later it was still charging. According to manufacturer, it should take no more than 5 hours to fully charge. When I contacted the manufacturer, I was told to remove the battery pack from the mouse and try charging that alone. It charged. However, when I replace the battery pack in the mouse, the mouse does not turn on.

I seems to me there is a design flaw in the battery pack/cover that prevents proper contact with the appropriate contacts heads. I am still trying to work this out with the manufacturer. So far, very disappointing. Will update when a final resolution is achieved.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor battery pack design, June 4, 2011
As others have mentioned, concept is great...and generally works well when the battery pack is held in, however my unit came with a battery pack that did not properly fit the mouse. I've read other reviews that had this problem as well on other sites. With enough jigging, you could get it in so that the bluetooth connection worked, but at no point did it fit properly and would often pop out or create an annoying situation while utilizing the mouse as the bottom would be popped out a bit. Perhaps my unit was an outlier as opposed to a universal design defect...but the cheap plastic molding/cut ruined the product and left me in frustration after 2 weeks of trying to make it work; I've opted to return (and I never return products). Might try again to see if my unit just had a bad mold cut...but also noticed that 2 double AA batteries so far remain at 100% after a week of use. Perhaps a rechargeable battery pack isn't all that necessary.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not charge reliably, December 12, 2012
I've been using one of these for 8 months now. Although there are benefits to never having to worry about replacing batteries, those benefits are easily outweighed by how this device will not charge reliably.

I would expect to be able to set the mouse on the charging pad and have the light turn from red to blinking green (indicating that it is charging,) but that rarely happens so easily. Instead, I have to keep taking the mouse off the charger and "dropping" it from about an 1/8th of an inch above the charger until it lands in a fashion that causes whatever is not connecting to connect. This is a raindance I do every night before bed if I hope to have a usable mouse the next day.

On top of that, the blinking green light is supposed to turn solid green when the mouse has finished charging. This never happens. Not once in the time I have owned this have I ever seen a solid green light. I could leave it for days, and the light will never turn solid green. The most common light? Solid red. That just means nothing's charging. Second most common light? Blinking red. That means, "something is wrong, but don't worry about trying to figure it out; it's really just a symptom of a sub-par product. Try again later."

If and when I can get the charge to "stick" and the blinking green light to commence, I have to watch it to make sure it stays green and blinking. I failed to do this last night, and this morning I awoke to a solid red light again, as if the mouse was not sitting on the charger all night, which it was. It also has no charge.

Stay away from Mobee products. They do not "just work" like you would expect something found at the Apple Store to do.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Product, January 15, 2013
I recently purchased a new laptop and decided it was time for a wireless mouse. I bought the Magic Mouse and thought the Mobee Charger made sense so I bought it as well. The mouse has been on the charger for 3 days and the green light is still blinking. I have tried to remove the battery pack so I could try alkaline batteries and like other posters, I am having heck trying to remove the battery pack. I am on the verge of throwing the whole thing across the room but I don't want to damage my new mouse. I recommend you do not purchase the Mobee Magic Mouse Charger until they improve the fit of the battery pack.

I did not purchase these items through Amazon. I am returning the Mobee Charger to Apple for a refund. I don't want another one. I am considering also returning the Magic Mouse. I can use the trackpad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product., November 28, 2011
I purchased the Mobee inductive charger because the Magic Mouse was using up the batteries too quickly. It installed very easily, and came with a partial charge, so I was able to use it out of the box. I have been using it for abou 2 months now, and it works perfectly. The mouse is always charged. It is beautifully designed and looks like it came with the iMac. I am surprised Apple hasn't bought the company to include it with the computers. My wife has a tendency to not put the mouse on the charging pad, but the batteries maintain their charge very well. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT!!, November 15, 2011
Lancaster (Norfolk, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This Mobee Wireless Magic Mouse has simply worked excellently right out of the box!! I've had no problems what so ever with it from day one. Gereat Price, Fast Shipping, and No Sales Tax!! what else can you ask for in a great product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Battery pack - Poor design - Limited Instructions, June 14, 2011
I agree with some of the others reviewers assessments about the battery pack. It did not properly sit in the mouse. Besides the fact that there are no written instructions on how to put the pack in, how to charge or any other directions. I think the idea is sound, but some of the bugs need to be worked out.