VINE VOICEon November 24, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm not only a Father, but, as of last December/2009, a new Grandfather as well, so when I saw this odd looking product, I said to myself, I've got to try this one out. My review here will come in two parts, with this initial review on the item itself and not yet "tested" by my Grandson, Finn, who I'll be seeing over the Thanksgiving holiday. I'll then update my review as to how he reacted and responded to this unique lighting device. My first concern is safety for this nightlight is rated for 2 years and up in age. It has no sharp edges at all and is one piece of molded semi-hard rubberized material and nothing on the exterior can be pulled off or pose a choking hazard. I was concerned in the base where smooth "battery charging" contacts are located for charging off the base unit (which remains separated and away from baby during this nightlight;'s use), that there might be a tiny level of current across the contacts if baby licks or puts a wet mouth there. I'm relieved to say that my multi-meter which can detect even a tiny amount of current flow, read zero the entire time, thus, there is absolutely no current at these contacts. The Mobi charges on it's base which has a red ring of light (very dim) around base that changes to green when it is fully charged (an hour or so). Lifting the Mobi off of base turns it on immediately to a soft green glow. It is capable of single colors in red, blue, green, yellow as well as a setting to allow it to go through a cycle of smooth and gradual color changes, displaying all the colors it offers. Additionally, you can hold down the power button on the bottom of the Mobi and it will cycle into a 15 minute timer mode and then go off. It's sealed internal lithium battery is good for hours of use. I've not yet tested how long it will go on a charge, but, I'm guessing for 6-9 hours minimal. The light it puts out will illuminate a room with a soft and low amount of light. There's enough to see by, yet, not too much to distract a baby who's drifting off to sleep. Some of the colors by nature of their hue, appear a bit brighter the others, so you have a selection of lighting brightness in a sense as well. So to summarize, the Mobi for what is is; a toddlers nightlight and bed companion (to keep the scary things away!) is superbly designed. My Grandson has an acute fascination with moving things and certainly of colors of light such as the Mobi creates. I'm guessing he'll be fascinated with it and it is apt to help during some of those fussy nights when he is trying to go to sleep. Later, when he's a bit older, the Mobi is apt to help keep those strange noises and things-in-the-dark at bay and help offer a feeling of security by having some low, soft and gentle lighting right in bed near him. I'm always picky and skeptical about a baby product and this one has won me over. Hopefully it'll be quite popular with my Grandson too! Highly recommended. A neat and unique nightlight for sure!

Post baby Tested/Part 2: Well, as I guessed, my Grandson was totally entertained and soothed by this wonderful nightlight/toy. As he settled down in his crib, he played with the toy; gazing at it's soothing and mesmerizing soft glow and the changing colors. He also found the rounded and safe parts of the toy ample to put in his mouth now and then as well (he was cutting first teeth and this toy seems to be good for that too!). He never took his eyes off it while slowly settling down for his nap. Suffice to say, this will probably be a great toy and security light for those naps or fussy nights where baby doesn't want to settle down all too quickly. I recommend this in every way, for a night light, safe baby companion, and a teething toy of sorts as well. It has Grandpa's seal of approval!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon October 27, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My 11-year old granddaughters think the Mobi Tykelight GloMate Plus is `Totally Awesome!' He is their chosen nightlight because they love his shape and colors. They also use him as a flashlight if they need to get up in the night.

Mobi emits a bright glow in a choice of colors. His surface is hard, but all smooth curves -- which feel good in the hand, but perhaps not so comfortable to roll over on if he was taken into a child's bed. I had to fiddle with the base before it started charging, but as I was about to give up it kicked in and worked perfectly. Mobi softly lights the room enough to see into the far corners. A small button sets the timer to slowly dim and go off in 15 minutes. If the timer button is not set, the nightlight glows for 8+ hours off its base. It takes at least 4 hours to recharge. Parked on its base, it automatically lights up during a power failure so it is a great safety light. The base plugs into an outlet via a cord similar to a cellular phone charger. The warranty is only for 90 days and neither the batteries nor the lights can be replaced by the consumer. I'll update this review when the Mobi no longer works to give an idea of its lifespan. A short lifespan would reduce the number of stars I've awarded.

If your baby or toddler is young enough to get the electrical contacts damp or wet, Mobi should remain out of reach. However, for everyone else the portability is a real asset. This is a great idea for all ages.
VINE VOICEon November 10, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
UPDATE 2/15/2011: My little guy is now 12.5mos and loved his little Mobi glowfriend. That said, he handled it a lot and while it appeared to be no worse for the wear because of that, there's something wonky going on with the way it connects to the charger base. It appears to still charge, but the red-to-green base ring the indicates charge doesn't stay steadily on. Sometimes it flickers between the two. Other times, the Glomate suddenly turns on while on the base, just as if it was on that 15-minute removal timer. Not sure what the deal is. A little sad I can't rely on the green glow fo the base ring anymore.

Since the birth of our son last January, we've used a small monkey lamp as our night light. That light gave off an amberish glow that I'd always felt was a little too bright. Plus it was plugged, so as our little became more mobile I had to place it strategically.

Before trying this Mobi light we tried Cloud B Twilight Sea Turtle...this was a nice option except it's difficult to find a place that allows for maximum benefit.

I like the portability AND durability of this light. Not that I recommend it as a teething toy BUT if your little happens to mouth about 90% of the body you probably don't have to freak.

The light options are nice, but quite bright in an otherwise pitch dark room. The red option is the dimmest, but red feels creepy. I love the rainbow option though. That's the hypnotic part. And I swear I see a 'heart' shape in the light.

Half the time, I actually just rely on the green 'charged' ring indicator due to its brightness. Though if Mobi man isn't resting evenly on the charger it causes the ring light to flicker.

Overall a cute and very kid-friendly night light.
on March 28, 2011
The electrical contacts between the charging station and the light are awful, so our charging station blinks green ALL THE TIME day and night. At first it blinks red/green when it charges up, which I read is normal, so I threw away the packaging thinking it worked fine. A couple days later it was STILL blinking green, and it won't stop. I've tried cleaning the contacts and repositioning it. I've thrown away the packaging (which I had to cut in a million pieces to open) so I can't return it, though it is clearly defective.
I owned the last model that plugged in with no charging base and LOVED it. They should have kept the old design!
Anyway, don't throw out the package for several days until you are sure it works properly!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Our four year old was fine with no night light but recently started to insist on one.

The problem is that most night lights are really too bright and we would prefer not to have it on all night.

This night light has one great feature - you can set it to turn itself off after 15 minutes -

Setting the night light on the base charges it - I never noticed any issue with the contacts. The base glows red when charging, green when fully charged. The night light also comes on automatically when you remove it from the charger or if the base unit is unplugged (or the power goes out)

You can cycle through colors or have it on a changing color setting - this setting even fascinated our 7 year old.

Some improvements I'd want

1) Default to red - blue light is too intense and will tend to keep you up, red won't ruin your night vision or keep your kids awake.
2) Shorter press to change from on all night mode to the 15 minute delay mode
3) Default at all times to 15 minute delay mode
4) 30 minute delay instead of 15 minutes.

You may want to consider the Vessel Guardian or Tooli lights - this is a very similar product except that the plug is a Electroluminescent light (which is quite dim) and there are no contacts (it charges via induction) We have three of these. The only downside is that there are no colors and there is no delay mode. We have 3 of the Guardian lights and have given about 5 of these to friends/relatives as gifts.

Oxo Good Grips Candela Guardian Light
on December 28, 2010
We had the old TykeLight for two years and decided to get a new one because the old batteries were staring to not hold much of a charge. The newer design seems cool, it cycles though colors, has and off timer, etc. BUT, the charging mechanism has changed. The old one just sat on the charger and charged up with no metal contacts. I noticed the new one has two metal contacts on the bottom that connect with two contacts on the base. The problem is that after ONE day of use I noticed it wasn't working any more. I looked at the bottom of the light and one of the metal contacts is missing. You can see right into the hole where it was and see the circuit board. We didn't even drop it, it just fell out. The little piece is now missing somewhere in my toddler's bed. Very shoddy soldering and design. The old one was dropped dozens of times onto a hard floor by a toddler and never missed a beat, this new one fails after one night sitting in a soft bed. It will be going back to Amazon very soon.

UPDATE: The replacement failed very quickly as well. The button on the bottom stopped working very quickly as others have noted. These new Tykelights are just junk.
on December 22, 2010
Verified Purchase
This product gives a great light and my 3 year old son likes it, but the switch does not work consistently, must press it multiple times to get it on, then change colors and setting the timer is difficult because while pressing it, the colors just cycle around.
As a note for other parents, my son would happily go to bed with it but when I would check on him in a few hours he would be under the covers with the glomate up to his nose, zoning out staring at it, not asleep! We have since taken to putting it across the room on a tall dresser, setting the timer and telling the boy to go to sleep when it turns off.
All in all, a good idea for kids afraid of the dark. It is a good night light for walking around a dark house and would be great for those middle of the night feedings. Mine just has a faulty switch!
on December 10, 2011
Verified Purchase
My twin toddlers and I love the nightlight, when it works. I have bought three and two have not worked out of the box. This was not Amazon's fault. When the nightlight does work, it is wonderful and it keeps me buying more when it "burns out." I don't expect these things to last forever. A year is sufficient for every night, all night, multi-color use. But not working out of the box?? eep. I suggest buying this item from Babies R Us so at least you can take it back without having to go through the trouble of sending it back to Amazon- paying for the shipping and then being reimbursed for shipping and the item after having to make a phone call and emails.
VINE VOICEon November 3, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I hesitate to give "only" three stars here, because this seems to be a well made, sturdy product, that does what it advertises.

However, there are two big issues that make me recommend other products in this category, which I would probably call "toddler or baby night light/soother".

First, the good:

- Very well made, construction is quality, soft touch material is pleasing
- Almost fascinating to watch, color changes are slow and beautiful, really
- Love the fact that it is rechargeable via a base
- Lasts forever with the new lithium ion batteries
- Timer function seems just about right (off after 15 minutes)
- BPA free! Yes! Great idea!

The relatively bad (I say "relatively" because if this were the only soft plastic, light changing, night light/soother out there, I would probably give it 5 stars):

- Packaging. Amazon has recently been encouraging including packaging as part of user reviews, so here goes: this one sucks. Hard-to-open clamshell style, but even harder than normal due to how tightly the plastic shell is "wrapped" around the product. And yes, I sliced the ^&#%$^ out of my finger opening it (not from my box cutter, but from the insanely sharp, cut plastic shell). :) Your fingers have been warned.

- First biggy con: TOO BRIGHT. When my kids first saw this Tykelight as I took it out of the box, they were excited after I extracted it from its deadly, booby trap packaging (and I cleaned up the ensuing blood). But when it came time for real world use, i.e. the bedroom, at bedtime, they asked me to turn it off! Why? Because this thing floods your room with light! Granted, it's a pleasing, soothing light, and the color changes are almost organic and nice, BUT...who can go to sleep with that kind of light level? Especially considering that most modern pediatricians recommend as dark a room as possible to get optimum sleep quality.

I wish I had a light meter so I could measure it. A mediocre workaround is to put the unit behind something big, like a picture frame, or some other light blocking object, but then, that kind of defeats the purpose somewhat, doesn't it? (and even the indirect light from the thing is STILL too bright IMO) Disappointed, but maybe not a deal breaker for some, depending on how you like your sleeping light levels. So now we use this in our bedroom, where our 2 week old is, to assist with all night feedings and diaper changes, etc.

- Biggest con: unlike other similar units, this Tykelight has a TINY black plastic button on the BASE of the unit. So if you want to turn this off (or more crucially) on, you will have to fumble around presumably in the dark, feeling for that tiny button. Another unit I have almost exactly like the Mobi (soft touch plastic shell, changes soothing colored light, pleasing shape), is activated/deactivated by just pushing on the unit's "head", which is akin to hitting a snooze button on an alarm clock. Crucial design mistake, imo (again, relative to other similar products like this).

So kind of torn here, I actually DO like the product a lot, but can't recommend only because there are other things out there (like this insanely highly recommended turtle for one: Cloud b Twilight Constellation Night Light, Turtle that are better (we also have the turtle, and it is truly awesome). I will look up the name brand (didn't see one listed on Amazon) of the other VERY similar unit I have to this Tykelight and updated my review with that info, if you are stuck on this style of nightlight.

Edit: The other, HIGHLY recommended unit (cheaper by half, and much better) that I mentioned is not available on Amazon, so I won't link to it. But I will give you a hint: swedish meatballs, cheap furniture, blue and yellow. ;)
on March 30, 2011
Verified Purchase
The last model of this was simple and perfect. You plug it in and it either charges or works. Unplug it and turn it on or off on the rechargeable battery. Now it's overly complicated and sits on a base that lights up so brightly that that in itself is too much light for my sleeping toddler. That's when it's not brightly alternating between red and green because the contacts are poor.

It's meant to not need to be plugged in at night at all and just light up on it's rechargeable battery - but that's not needed most of the time. I have the ability to plug it in, but the design is so poor with this version that I wrap a dark cloth around the base to diffuse the light from the charging. Besides the rechargeable battery is meant to stay working for 10 hours. My son often sleeps longer than that. Besides no rechargeable battery keeps it's maximum charge for the lifetime of the device, so eventually it will last less time.

They took a fantastic product, removed it from the market and replaced it with one that is inferior in every way - mostly it seems due to the availability of new or cheaper technology.

I do not recommend this new one.

See 1 answered question