on February 26, 2012
After breaking my leg (i.e, tibial plateau fracture) during a skiing accident and being told I had to be on crutches for 6 weeks, I set out trying to find a crutch-alternative that would make life less challenging. I was surprised to find that there aren't many alternatives out there and the technology hasn't changed in 5000 years. I had never been on crutches before and found the whole thing exhausting and extremely difficult. Fortunately, I found mobilegs which were a godsend. I walked on regular crutches for 3 weeks and then got to mobilegs and have been on them for another 3 weeks. I would definitely purchase them again, and would recommend them to anyone on regular crutches.

POSITIVES:
However, don't expect any miracles. While they are great crutches and gave me a new vigor to be mobile again, don't think you'll be sprinting down the street in them. First, the great features: (1) LIGHTWEIGHT: These things weigh much less than your standard crutches, and you can lift and move them more easily. This added to my mobility and less stress on the rest of my body; (2) MOBILITY: I can move much faster in the mobilegs than with standard crutches, about 1 1/2 times as fast. If you do it correctly, I could go almost twices as fast; (3) SLEEK/SLIMLINE: The mobilegs only have one tube as opposed to two on standard crutches. This enabled me to slip between tight corners (closing doors, crowded hallways, etc.) and had a smaller footprint that regular crutches; (4) ERGONOMIC GRIPS: The grips are position diagonally and are rubber-foam covered. I was having terrible pains the nerves in my hand from regular crutches. Using these crutches minimized those pains almost instantly. While those pains aren't completely gone, it is tolerable now. The grips are the best feature of the crutches. I would buy them for these alone.; (5) ROCKER-TYPE FEET: The feet are shaped with a rocker design, so as you walk you can reach further in front of you and the crutch rocks you forward. This makes it easy and FASTER to walk than on regular crutches; (6) ROCKER-TYPE UNDERARM REST: The underarm rest also pivots forward and backwards and twists from left to right. This makes it very natural to walk. As you extend the crutch in front of you, the pad stays under your arm, and the tube moves forward. Great idea!; (7) MESH-TYPE UNDERARM REST: The rest is made of rubber and is perforated so you don't sweat. Brilliant.; (8) SPRING-LOADED UNDERARM RESTS: The underarm rests are spring-loaded and act as shock absorbers when you walk. You almost "float" as you walk, when compared to regular crutches.

NEGATIVES:
On the other side of the ledger, here are some of the downfalls: (1) INSTABILITY: Because the underarm rest turns left and right, there can be some instability when you are walking. I got used to walking on regular crutches for 3 weeks and then had to relearn how to walk with the mobilegs. The great freedom comes with a slight price, and that is a tiny bit of instability. I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying because of this, but it takes a few days of practice to make sure you don't "twist" the top of the crutch as you walk. It would be nice if there was some way to lock the top of the underarm rest so it didn't turn laterally; (2) LOUDNESS: These crutches can be louder on floors when you walk. The clickity-clackity of the spring-loaded mounts are louder (not by much) than regular crutches. This could be fixed easily by a different design; (3) MINIMALIST: There is no where to put a small pouch or bag. With my regular crutches I had purchased a small pouch strapped to it. Because these crutches are so minimal in design and have only one tube, it wasn't possible to strap anything to it. No big deal; (4) BINDING: I agree that sometimes the spring-loaded mechanism sticks. I haven't had the need to do it, but a little oil would probably fix this. The manufacturer should oil them before shipping.

SUMMARY:
I have another 1 week to go, or so, before I can get off the crutches. If you are going to be on crutches for an extended period of time, more than 3 weeks, I would definitely recommend purchasing these crutches. I can honestly say that when I finally put them down, I'll be a bit sad to see my mobilegs gather dust in my closet. Ok, not really. Good luck to all and a speedy recovery!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 26, 2012
These crutches are awesome. Having used the traditional crutches in the past, I was excited when I found these before a surgery I was to have. I have had the pleasure of having the office chairs that the designer of these crutches is credited with co-designing for 15 years now and thought that if these were half as comfortable as the chairs it would be a huge improvement over traditional crutches.

They are a huge improvement over traditional crutches. The most noticeable benefit is that 24 days post surgery now I haven't had a single bit of chaffing in my arm pits. And while my wrists still hurt a bit from all the extra weight being supported by my wrists, the ergonomic hand grips and positioning minimize the pain and relieve pressure on the nerves preventing common pain up into the arm.

The mesh upper is soft and is designed not to move too much in your arm pit, thus reducing the chaffing. The upper also turns from side to side a bit which allows for a more natural walking motion on the crutches, again preventing the chaffing. The upper is mounted into the aluminum crutch on a spring providing some shock absorption.

The hand holds are an ergonomic foam that is very comfortable and the rubber on the bottom of the crutch is rounded like the legs of a rocking chair providing for a "smooth" forward movement.

The only negative that I've noticed is that the clickity-clack that adjustable crutches have where the adjustable pegs hit the sides when you put weight on the crutch seems to be louder on these crutches. Would be nice if there was a way to dampen the noise.

One other point to note, if you are used to regular crutches and sometimes rely on the solidity of the upper to carry things short distances without using your hands on the crutch, you can't do that with these since they are spring mounted.

To summarize, highly recommended.
on June 9, 2013
I bought a pair of Mobilegs Ultra after a hip replacement revision. I had had trouble with traditional crutches and had fallen backwards with them. These are so much more secure, with the moulded handgrip. You really feel connected to the ground and much more stable in my estimation.

They can be a bit noisy, for the movement of the spring-loaded top resonates through the crutch as you walk. I tried some light oil, but that only made things worse. The trick is powdered graphite, available in any hardware store. Puff a bit of graphite on both sides of the plastic insert that goes into the tube of the crutch, and they'll be nice and quiet.
on January 21, 2012
I got these when I had sugery on my ankle. They were very comfortable to use. The angled handholds were a big improvement over the conventional crutches I used when I broke my foot. I also had no irritation from the part that went under my armpit.

Overall, they are a more natural fit so if you have to be on crutches do yourself a favor and get these.
on October 26, 2011
Indeed much, much better than regular cheap crutches. I'm even more glad I bought them because my knee surgeon did a bait and switch. <wink> He said 3 weeks on crutches, and after 3 weeks he said "No, I said *6* weeks!"

I started out on the cheap crutches I was given and promptly realized they were pieces of crap. The usual complaints - pain in the heel of the hands, and chafing in the armpits. The Mobilegs solve those problems, and are very light as well.

They are also good conversation pieces with cute nurses as they look very snazzy. :)

I bought the "ultra" version of the Mobilegs - the armpit saddles are mounted on an internal telescoping spring loaded mechanism. While hobbling along, these enable the crutches to come up a little easier as you pick them up and bring them forward.

Because I work in the electronics industry where developments happen at a breakneck pace, it made me wonder why something similar to the Mobilegs wasn't invented back in the 70s. I guess medical technology moves at a snail's pace in comparison, due to lawsuits and the glacial pace of FDA approval (though crutches don't "need" any kind of FDA testing AFAIK)

The reason I give them 4 (4.5 if amazon had em) instead of 5 stars are minor issues:
- the spring loaded mechanism has some binding / stiction to them, which application of some grease helped
- under the armpit saddles are an aluminum metal frame whose corners are quite sharp and may give one a "paper cut" if you were to pick up the crutches by grabbing the saddle and a finger happens to grasp said corner. I spent 5 minutes deburring the corners with a hand deburring tool. Said frame is aluminum so it was very easy. Without a deburring tool, one could use the blade of a thick pair of scissors, a file, or maybe even a manicure file.

Shipping was fast in CA because they have a warehouse here.
on June 20, 2014
Faced with the need for crutches, I ordered both the Mobilegs Ultra and the Milennial Medical Crutches. In the crutch-off, the Mobilegs won the dual hands down. The Mobillegs were more comfortable, lightweight, better design, easier use, and better looking.
The Milennial Crutches though would be best for someone very large and very tall. They are heavier, and extend to support someone up to 7 feet tall.
on May 12, 2014
I researched "high tech" crutches after a few days on the doctor-given free ones that were killing me and wobbly and found mobilegs. I read a ton of reviews and decided to take a chance (I broke my ankle 6 weeks ago)....and they have been profoundly better than regular crutches. I get stopped constantly by people on regular crutches, and just anyone who thinks they look so cool, and want to know more. I've let a bunch of folks try them and everyone is amazed at how they have a spring under the arms so that you feel no pressure. I love the hand holds and the bottom is much much more stable than regular crutches.
I'm going to loan them to other friends as needed but not give them away...though of course I hope I will never need them again. For the reviews that said they weren't that much better than regular crutches, I don't know what you are talking about....also they made no more noise than the regular crutches....Even my doctor was impressed. I used them during a story slam where I told a very funny story about the broken ankle! Anyhow, I can't recommend them enough if you happen to need crutches. I don't usually review things, but these deserve 5 stars.
on March 30, 2013
Unbelievable improvement vs standard issue crutches. MUCH more comfortable on armpits. Also very lightweight. Highly recommend - easy to use.
on December 6, 2014
If you have to have crutches, you might as well have the best! After suffering through using standard crutches for 3 days, we jumped online and found these. After receiving and opening the package, we had them sized correctly for my 6' plus hubbie within minutes, and he was INSTANTLY relieved of crutch abuse with their first use.

The armpit area swivels and compresses with natural body movement and left NONE of the bruising that standard crutches do. The grips are grooved to fit the hand perfectly and are set at an angle for a natural arm fit. They also allow the user to use their hands more than their armpits for the support needed to move around and therefore do not rely on the pressure under the arms for movement. The angle of the crutch leg allows the crutch to be fitted much closer to the body so we could get in and out of doorways and tight fits easier. The foot base is wider and allows for better balance and had much less "slide" on our hardwood floors than the standard crutches. And as if I couldn't say enough great and wonderful things about this crutch, the overall lightweight design was PERFECT.

If I had to say ANYTHING negative, it would be so minor that it's ridiculous. Because of the angle of the crutch and the hand grip design, the crutches are side specific (meaning left and right). It was easy for me to hand them to him incorrectly and get the sides mixed up. But again, such a MINOR thing that the only reason I'm typing it in the review is so you don't think I work for MobiLegs.

After using standard crutches, there is just NO comparison! Throw those old horrible things in the trash, give them away, or just loose them somewhere and go purchase MobiLegs. OMGosh! Just using the MobiLegs saved our marriage! They changed his entire attitude towards his injury and allowed me to help him with WAY more patience. 3 days of standard crutches was more than enough!
on April 8, 2013
Long story short, I was waiting for my foot to heal and needed to do a couple of weeks of non weight bearing. The traditional crutches were a pain in the bottom! My hands and wrists hurt from using it within half an hour. You know that carpel tunnel feeling you get from using too much mouse? So I research on how to use crutches correctly, and I learned to not lean my weight onto the armpit support. But at the end I still got sore arms, painful hands (despite I wrapped the handles with soft fluffy socks) and irritated ribs.

After reading and watching many reviews on MobiLegs, I ordered a pair from their website. Upon unpacking, the light weight immediately won me over. Oh that ergonomic handle, so kind to my wrists. I were able to move around faster and more comfortably, plus getting lots of inquiries about this futuristic looking crutches! It ended up being one of the best thing I invested in, because I had to get foot surgery and were stuck to non weight bearing for over 4 months. I can't imagine surviving that long without MobiLegs.

The moving armpit support will take time to get used to. And the way MobiLegs curves makes you crutch in a different way. All in all, get this if you want to avoid hell from normal crutches. :)