From the Back Cover
MAKE MOBILE APPLICATIONS THAT WORK
Just what you need to get mobile messaging going on virtually any platform, in virtually any language, this guide provides a thorough tutorial in the SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) programming environment, today's most-used mobile applications technology. Smart card expert Scott Guthery teams with information management specialist Mary Cronin to show seasoned developers how to:
* Design, build, and integrate SMS messaging into your applications environment
* Create code that harnesses the power of the SIM
* Use the micro-browsers and micro-Web servers in 3G phones
* Construct leading-edge mobile commerce applications on today's networks
* Send and receive SMS messages from your server or your laptop
* Enable interfaces and other needed components
* Create secure wireless applications for corporate networks and VPNs
This book is for you if--
* You're building applications for GSM or 3G networks
* You know that today's 2 billion SMS messages per month are not enough
* You wish you had sample code for reality-based applications
* You want to add mobile extensions to your software products and corporate network
* You manufacture smart cards or create smart card applications
* You seek reliable answers on 3G programming interfaces and toolkits
* You want guidance on SIM application design, integration, or management for any platform
* You prefer to avoid others' mistakes
Other books offer application overviews. Mobile Application Development Using SMS and the SIM Toolkit gets you writing code.
About the Author
SCOTT B. GUTHERY is one of the best-known names in the technical aspects of smart cards. As Chief Technology Officer of Mobile-Mind, a provider of wireless consulting services and SIM applications, he was the lead designer of Microsoft's Smart Card for Windows. He also led the team that developed the first Java Card. A regular contributor to GSM and 3G standards, he holds 3 patents for smart card applications and real-time systems. He is the convener of the Architecture Working Group of the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) Smart Card Platform (SCP) project.
MARY J. CRONIN, Mobile-Mind President, is the author of five books on technology and business strategy, including Doing Business on the Internet, a groundbreaking work that has been translated into 10 languages. As a Professor of Management at Boston College, Dr. Cronin specializes in Electronic Commerce, International Telecommunications, and Wireless Information Management.