Mobius Action Camera 1080P HD Mini Sports Cam
Size: Standard EditionChange
Price:$84.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 22, 2013
Great little camera. No view finder or window to look through. Please see my video for details. I have a habit of saying USB instead of SD when I'm referring to the card, so forgive me.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 17, 2013
This camera is the successor to the 808 series of cameras, but is the first one to feature 1080p at 30fps. Although there are many other cameras that can operate at 1080p, this camera literally costs 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the other expensive ones out there. I took this camera out for a spin (as a dashboard camera for my car) the day I got it and I have to say that the crispness of the video along with the relative ease of setup pretty much makes this a winner in my book. As another reviewer may have mentioned, the reviewer at techmoan.com gives a pretty thorough commentary about the insides and outs of the Mobius. The camera also has easy to use and downloadable software to change many of the camera settings, a feature that is noticeably missing in other cheap cameras. Also, the manufacturer distributes updates to the firmware pretty frequently and they do listen to the customer requests on the forums at rcgroups.com.

The only gripe that I have about the Mobius camera is that it gets extremely hot after recording video for several minutes. Although there are two exposed heat sinks on the top of the camera, it becomes very hot to the touch. Thus I turn the camera off to cool it down every now and then to avoid my fear of melting the internals.

The Mobius was first widely available from resellers in Hong Kong on the Ebay website. As anyone who has ordered anything from overseas knows, the package takes 3 to 4 weeks to arrive which to me is a really long time. Fortunately, I was able to find a reseller in NYC which is where I live (the reseller is called Spytec). So instead of waiting a month for the camera, I was able to order it online and pick it up at their store, literally a few hours after placing the order. The guy I spoke to (I believe his name was Hector) was very friendly and knowledgeable about the Mobius and a wide range of other cameras. That was a big plus.

I would expect this camera to sell well once more people realize that this is a solid product. But for now, I am quite satisfied with how this little camera can produce such gorgeous video clips.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 20, 2014
This is one of the best pieces of tech I’ve purchased for my bike. As a bike commuter in Los Angeles, I’m happy at all of the tech becoming available to make biking safer. I was recently in an altercation with a motorist and I had no video documentation of the incident. So after looking around at cameras, it came down this this and a GoPro.

Pros:
• Super lightweight. I wear it as a helmet cam. You won’t even know the thing is there. Plus it’s size makes it easy to just throw in your pocket when you get done with a ride.
• It’s horizontal instead of vertical. What I mean by that is look at someone with a GoPro on their helmet. That that sticks up like a billboard. Not sleek and I wonder about the wind resistance. Especially if I were to place one on my scooter helmet. With the Mobius, it lays flat and well out of the way.
• Crazy customization options. Download the software, the company must be filled with makers and tinkerers. The amount of customization options is mindblowing. And they often release firmware updates with new exciting options.
• Decent battery life. I’m running it with a 32gb class 10 Sony card and I’m getting about an hour and fifteen minutes on a charge. That’s not bad. I’m not sure what GoPro gets but a friend with a first gen GP is barely making it to 45 min on a charge.
• Excellent video quality. There are plenty of youtube videos out there showing the quality. They tell the truth. I purchased my Mobius with a wide angle lens to capture more of my surroundings. Excellent quality. I can pause it and easily read a license plate.
• The price. Less than a hundred bucks? Totally a steal.

Cons:
• No image stabilization. So it could get a bit shaky. As mentioned, I mount mine to my helmet so the shakiness isn’t that bad. If this were handlebar mounted I expect it would be a rough video to watch.
• No waterproof case yet. They do sell a case to help protect it from the environment but since I’ve read reports about the heat sinks getting pretty hot, I would worry about putting that on.
• I don’t care for the material that coats the camera. I understand that it’s a bit rubbery to help if you drop it but I wanted this camera to be as low profile on my head as possible and wanted to use some super strong Velcro. Unfortunately, I can’t get anything to stick to the camera. So I’ll be getting some mounts instead. Not a big deal. Just a personal preference for me.
• It’s so small, fellow bikers are always asking about it. Ok, that’s not really a con. Unless I’m in a rush.

I 100% recommend this camera. For bicycling, for scootering, for motorcycles, as a dash cam, for sports, you name it. You won’t be disappointed.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 17, 2013
Personally I LOVE this cam. I was interested in getting GoPro for my RC filming. I race RC Formula One and RC motorcycles. As most will use this camera for flying videos, my intention was to use it on the ground. As the GoPro is way too large for my application, I settled on this cam after reading some other reviews and watching many of the online videos. This camera, when insulated from vibrations well, has less of the "jello" effect than similar available keychain cams... the lens is clear, and the video clarity is superb for the price. the weight is perfect as it's a little heavier than the other cams which helps isolate it from vibrations, but it's lighter than the more expensive "pro" action cams, which allows me to use it in the applications I need it for... Since I race RC motorcycles, I can't have an on-board cam that will affect the delicate balance of the bike at speed, and this one fits the bill nicely. The Windows GUI for programming the basic features of the cam is simple to use, and it's easy to upgrade the firmware in the camera (as the manufacturer is continuously adding features and tweaking the interface). The only negative I have found is that the two surface-mounted heat sinks on the camera get really hot, so using the cam in an underwater case might create too much heat buildup and be a detriment to the camera and the camera's battery system. I hope other lenses will be made available so that we can have filming options, but as for now, you can't get a better 1080P action cam that can be used as an FPV (first-person video)cam,or webcam as well for the money.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 3, 2013
UPDATE: Added photos (see end of review).
UPDATE: Added 1 Star. Product was updated to support other formats!
UPDATE: Subtracted 1 Star. Firmware update removed loop recording for mp4. I just found out after it's already too late and my camera has not recorded an important event. Seriously, I don't care if there is a gap in the video - NEVER remove a feature. Add disclaimers and call it a day.

Good, but not great

+ Excellent 1080p video quality (True Full HD).
+ Great low light video quality (night).
+ Crystal clear sound recording.
+ Tons of options (customization).
+ Could be used as webcam.
+ Direct to the point. Very subtle and not distracting at all.
+ Wide angle view.
+ WDR mode. This is responsible for the great picture color.
+ Excellent seller (SpyTec), the only seller as of this writing.
+ Price is reasonable (versus eBay, no Prime, and will come from Hong Kong).

× No image stabilization. It's cool if you like to record every bump on the road.
× 720p mode is virtually useless.
× Cannot compensate to direct sunlight. Again, cool if you like the blinding sun.
× No instructions. Confusing if you're stupid.
× Non-replaceable battery (but it is user serviceable).
× Comes with only the basic accessories, which makes it ---
× --- A bit expensive for its class.

What's included (basic package from Amazon):
' 1080p Camera
' Lens cap (cover) - very useful
' Mounting base
' Tripod socket, for the mounting base (removable)
' Velcro pair
' Tiny Allen wrench - for adjusting the lens focus
' Mini USB cable - charging and data transfer

Quick Notes:
± Heat sink gets really hot when in, and after use.
± A 5-minute 1080p video with sound generates around 560 MB.
± To use as webcam, remove the microSD. Or push a button (which you have to figure out).
± I wish the windshield mount was included. You have to put it high. I put it under my rear-view camera.

In-depth YouTube review from another guy, which I found helpful:
watch?v=7wmIyD1fM4M

In-Depth technical information resource for advanced users.
Has all the pics you will need about the product:
- www . rcgroups . com/forums/showthread.php?t=1904559

--------------------------------------------------------------

Verdict: I RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT. Quality wise, this is excellent.

Update ' ' ' ' ' '
PHOTOS:

Amazon Gallery:

Individual Photos (Amazon):
review image review image review image review image review image
3333 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 4, 2015
Fantastic camera, especially for the price. Tons of features, very compact/lightweight package (makes my GoPro look like a cinderblock!), decent quality video (it's not going to make pro-quality recordings, but it does look pretty great in everything but low-light). Sound could be a bit better by offering an external mic, but that adds weight/complexity to the device.

I've installed my Mobius with the wide-angle lens as a hard-wired dashcam. Swapped the battery for a supercap setup and used a hardwire kit to power the unit from the headliner, camera mounted near the rear-view mirror. Works very reliably in the weeks I've had it. Video is plenty clear at 1080p/30fps to see license plates, street signs, etc. Wide angle lens has some fisheye/edge distortion, but being able to see edge-to-edge across the windshield is worth it.

Configuring the camera is, to me, pretty easy. But I'm a software engineer, so dealing with configuration files and weird sequences for uploading them is no big deal to me. I appreciate the tons of configuration settings the Mobius developers have crammed into their config files that allow me to set the camera up for complete fire-and-forget use as a dashcam. But if you're not software savvy, or even if you're a Mac user (the config utility for OSX is 3rd party software), you might want to look elsewhere, and this is the reason I docked a star. If I were using this camera as an action cam, or for a quad-rotor aircraft, or something where I needed/wanted to reconfigure it frequently, the lack of simple software or on-camera configuration settings would be annoying... but that's why this isn't replacing my GoPro... it's my dashcam.

Bottom line: after trying 2 other cheaper dashcams, I was impressed enough with this camera for everyday in-car duty, I bought a second one for my wife's car.
on September 16, 2014
I just bought the Mobius camera and spent the past few hours getting it set up and installed in my car. Here is what I learned that may help you.

This is a GREAT little car dash camera for around $100.00. There are a few things for potential buyers to keep in mind.

1. Download the manual from the Internet.
2. Download the Quick Setup manual from the Internet.
3. Download the pc Setup software from the Internet.
4. Spend about 30 min reading all of that before you try to do anything.
5. If you purchased a 32 GB or 64 GB sd card, you will need to download a software program that will let your pc reformat the sd card from exFat to Fat32 or the camera may not work.
6. Use the pc Setup software to update the firmware on the camera to the latest version. (Note the sd card HAS to be Fat32 to do this.)
7. Spend about another hour playing with all the camera settings by using the pc Setup software. (For example decide if you want the Mobius to automatically start recording when you plug it into the cars lighter socket or when it receives power. Decide if you want it to "loop" recording when the sd card is full. Decide what movie format type you want it to record as, etc.)
8. Mount the camera in your car. (If you use the typical suction cup mount, you will need to set the camera to "rotating the recording 180 degrees."
9. Go for a short drive while recording. When you get back home, either eject the sd card or take the Mobius out of it's clamp and look at the files on your pc to see if you have the camera pointed in the proper angle and direction. Make any needed adjustments. Wash, rinse, repeat until you are happy.
on February 6, 2014
I was looking for a small action camera I could use to mount on my RC quadcopters that could provide good quality HD video. I've used a few other models, but was left disappointed. I purchased this camera after watching several reviews by Techmoan and a few others on Youtube, which praised this little technological wonder. The camera comes equipped with several different mounts and cables. When I first used the camera, I was amazed with the video quality at 1080p (30fps). The entire image was well detailed and most importantly, the camera does a great job at coping with light and dark scenes. I also tried the camera in my car as a dashcam and was equally pleased at the results. I decided to permanently mount it in my car and will purchase another Mobius for my other vehicle.
There is a utility you can download which lets you update the firmware and change every conceivable setting on the camera. In the 6 months I've owned the camera, there have been as many firmware updates, which shows continued development for this camera. They have recently added motion sensing and time-lapse through FW updates.
This is a great little camera - I highly recommend it!
on November 15, 2014
I love this camera! This is my first dash cam. I did a lot of research and found this is a very versatile camera - car dash, biking, all sorts of things. I may even wear it (no joke) to record my day. But for now, I have it mounted in my car and have recorded clear video day and night. The wide angle catches views of almost the entire windshield of my jeep and the microphone catches all sound.

I purchased it from this seller, Spy Tec, great experience.

I do not leave it in the car unattended. I have left it in once or twice while briefly parked at a store, just to catch the action around. But I won't leave it in for long periods. I have a clip mount on the windshield near my rear view mirror and just unclip and drop it into my purse. The heat sinks do get hot so I avoid those when removing it. A few times in the beginning I forgot to remove the lens cap, now I remember. I do plan to get the case with the yellow leveler because I tend to clip it in crooked, but that's no biggie.

This cam makes me eager to run errands and go here and there. It's a lot of fun to watch the clips (I have it on 5-minute loop, you will see what I mean in the settings) and listen to my husband and I banter while driving. Speaking of hubby, he thought all this was silly until he saw the clips. Now he loves it and is planning his script for driving!

I have another of these on my wishlist, for my rear window. I am addicted now.

If you are searching for a car cam, buy this baby (with the car mount kit if you need it - I did not, I already had the items). It's a great deal and an excellent camera.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 24, 2015
 I bought one of these right after I was in a motorcycle accident when a driver pulled out in front of me. This has really been great. Here is what I love about this.

1. Is small, so I can mount it easily on the front turn signal of my bike.
2. Has looped recording.
3. Can start recording whenever it receives power. I connected mine to my headlight so that as soon as I turn on my bike it starts recording.
4. Has a nice, wide angle on the shot.
5. Easy to get on and off my bike with the snap-in bracket.
6. Easy to view files on my PC by plugging into USB cable.

I have attached a short video that it recorded while riding.