Moby Wrap UV SPF 50+ 100% Cotton Baby Carrier, Sand
Color Name: SandChange
Price:$60.00 + $5.49shipping

on June 13, 2009
Verified Purchase
Pros:
-Securely fasten baby to body in a number of different ways
-Adjustable for different shapes and sizes of both the wearer and the baby
-Take baby anywhere easily
-Very comfortable for the wearer, and seems to be very comfortable for the baby
-Durable material (so far; I've used it over a year)
-Doesn't seem to stain, and believe me it's been tested with many colors of urp and other things.that come out of.babies
-Hasn't tangled in the dryer, either alone or as part of a whole load, which really surprises me; could be because I use dryer balls
-Baby's core will be kept warm by your body heat

Cons:
-As with any carrier, anything that comes out of the baby will probably end up on you, moreso with this becasue there's no part of the carrier between your bodies
-Again, as with any carrier, baby will be kept warm by your body heat, and you'll be kept warm by theirs - something to think about for warmer weather
-It is not a "snap-and-go" carrier; it takes a little bit more time to put on, but with practice you get used to it so this isn't a huge con in my book
-My husband flat refuses to wear it. Ever. So I am now looking into an additional conventional carrier so he gets to wear one of our kids sometimes, too

Bottom line: I love it, and am really glad I bought it. It might take you a minute to get the hang of fitting - don't give up. After a few tries I found a few methods that work great. I hear it's great for premies, though especially with little babies you want to be careful of their airway. I also have several friends who have nursed their children in them, and love having an automatic cover, though I myself have not tried this.

UPDATE: After two kids, it's still kickin and going strong, and intend to use it on the next one. I'll admit, living in the south in the summer, it didn't get used much. It is HOT and HUMID down here, and didn't want either of us to overheat. But it sure does make doing many things easier!

UPDATE: Using it again on kid #3 and loving it still. Still no stains, stretching, or other problems. And my.husband.still refuses to wear it lol. But with two toddlers on hand already it is really nice for many instances.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 13, 2011
Color Name: Almond BlossomVerified Purchase
When we first started wearing our son, my husband preferred the Baby Bjorn, but I found this much more comfortable, and my son seemed to enjoy/tolerate the Moby wrap slightly better. By the time he was three months old, though, he had a clear preference for the Baby Bjorn (especially once he could face out), and while the Moby is still much more comfortable for me, I'm using the Bjorn now because my son likes it so much better. I tried multiple positions in the Moby, including all the facing-out ones, but for now, at any rate, he prefers the Bjorn. The wrap is more confining, so I think if you have a baby who likes/doesn't mind being swaddled, the wrap may work well (we stopped attempting to swaddle our son when he was a week old).

Overall, I think this is a good product, and I have friends who prefer it to the Baby Bjorn, but be warned that the "best" baby carrier will depend mainly on the baby. The book that accompanies it has clear instructions, the wrap washes well, travels/stores easily, is attractive, is simple to use, and is very comfortable for the adult.
on November 21, 2008
I LOVE my Moby wrap! My daughter is 6 weeks old and she loves it as well. She cries whenever she is put down and will only fall asleep while being held. My husband & I disagree with the "cry it out" philosophy, so the Moby Wrap allows our daughter's needs to be met while we still have two free hands. There are several ways to tie the wrap ([...] has instructions) and, unlike some carriers, it will grow with the baby.

Winter has come early in NY, yet I can still take her out for walks or shopping. If we're heading out in the car, I put the wrap on at home (don't want the long ends dragging on the ground as I try to put it on in a parking lot). When we arrive at our destination, in the warmth of the car, I slip her into the Moby wrap, pull the fabric up over her, and wrap my coat around her. She is protected from the cold as well as germs from those who want to stroke her cute little cheeks and hands!

Although I feel like I couldn't live without my Moby Wrap, there are a few drawbacks:
1) The fabric is a thick cotton -- great for keeping mom & baby warm in cooler temps, but seems too thick for summer. At home, I keep our thermostat lower when I'm wearing my daughter because it generates quite a bit of heat.
2) As with any baby carrier, it can be difficult to maintain good posture while wearing your baby. In someone prone to back pain, this may not be the best option.

That said, I feel the Moby Wrap is a must have for active moms! It's a great way to bond with your baby, maintain a sense of freedom (& sanity!:), and help a fussy baby be content.
on June 16, 2011
Color Name: Almond BlossomVerified Purchase
My baby loves to be held in the Moby Wrap. It was particularly useful in the early months, when she was not comfortable in a "baby bjorn"-style carrier. She slept in it really well, probably because she was held so tightly against me. She is now old enough to alternate between this and a "baby bjorn"-type carrier. The carrier is great for when I want her awake and alert, but the Moby Wrap is good for longer wearings, when I want her to nap.

Practical tips:
1. There's a lot of wrapping required, but you get the gist of it quickly.
2. It fits me fine (5'4", 130 lbs), but my husband is 6'2", 200 lbs, and the ends of it barely tie for him.
3. Put it on before you get in the car (without the baby of course), as you don't want to be wrapping yourself in a dirty parking lot. It is very long and the ends drag on the ground as you are performing "the wrap."
4. The fabric is a kind of jersey knit, which is very warm. This might not be comfortable in the middle of summer or a very warm climate.
5. It shrinks a little in the dryer, but seems to stretch right back out to its previous size once you put it on and stick a baby in it.
6. Moby gives instructions on how to make your own Moby Wrap from your own fabric if you don't want to purchase their product. But you know what? For the amount of fabric I'd have to buy, this price is really not bad. Plus, this version has a pretty little modern design on it that makes it fun to wear.

Overall, I can say I've gotten my money's worth out of this item. There are other baby items I've purchased for a similar price and not used nearly as much. I'm glad I bought this!
on July 15, 2007
Verified Purchase
I love the look and comfort of the Moby, however my baby prefers the more structured Baby Bjorn.

The main issue for her (near as I can tell) is that she slumps into a crescent shape unless the Moby is wound around us very snugly. If she doesn't immediately fall into a deep sleep for an hour or two, she gets antsy in the Moby after 10 minutes or so.

As you can imagine, trying to extricate your screaming kiddo, and yourself from 18 feet of tightly wound fabric -- sometimes with no soft place to put the baby down -- is no easy feat. I've waddled home with the wrap dragging behind me...

Every baby's different -- mine doesn't like slings or the Maya Wrap either.
on April 9, 2009
Verified Purchase
The Moby Wrap is the best carrier out there! I love it. I bought three different carriers, a sling, the Moby wrap and a front carrier. This is the most versatile and the most comfortable! You really can carry your child when they are tiny to when they are large. I have been using this since my son was born and he is currently 20 lbs. I took it on a trip overseas and it was a lifesaver at the airport. He has been toted around by me, his dad, his grandma, and his uncles and aunts and everyone comments on how comfortable it is. We easily walk with the dogs every morning while he is in the Moby. He falls asleep easily in the wrap and you can breastfeed descreetly. If you need more skin to skin contact - just wrap them on sans shirt. I never worry about him being uncomfortable (no red marks-ever!) and I never worry about him falling out. Highly recommended!
on January 2, 2012
Color Name: Almond BlossomVerified Purchase
The wrap kept riding up while pulling my shirt up regardless of how tight or loose I tied the wrap. In addition, when I placed my baby in the wrap it would immediately begin stretching out whereby providing little to no support. I bought it because of the great reviews but have no idea why it has good reviews. I was well within the weight limits with regard to my baby (on the lower end) and can only surmise the stretching would be worse for a heavier baby. Its also super long and unless you have furniture you can put the extra material on (while wrapping it around yourself) then it would end up being dragged on the floor.
on December 4, 2009
Color Name: SandVerified Purchase
We had a trip to England with our 2 youngs children (5-months and 20-months). We took a McLaren stroller for the older child and this for the youngest. My wife loved this - it supported her back well, felt comfortable, and allowed her a full range of motion (climbed the 100 steps in Whitby with no problems). It was cold when we were there, and the extra body heat from mom-to-baby was great. There are NO metal clasps on this, so she could "wear" the baby straight through the metal detectors at the airports and security checkpoints at the palace, etc.

I won't lie - men shouldn't wear this. Men look dumb wearing any baby carrier, and this is no exception. Please, please, please - wives of the world, just let your husband carry the baby. It might be easier to wear this, but it is not worth the embarasment!

Regardless, this is the BEST carrier/sling/etc available. We've bought just about every one of them out there - front loaders, back packs, slings. None are even comparable.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 29, 2013
Color Name: Almond Blossom
I feel that I should add this review because someone might benefit from it. First off baby carriers are a very personal thing and every mom and baby has their own preferences. We live in Connecticut and my daughter was born at the end of the summer. By the time she was old enough to be carried in the carrier we were using jackets. Every time I had to put on the moby I found myself standing outside in some parking lot, sometimes in the rain with what seemed like a mile of fabric of Moby trying not to get it wet,, freezing without my jacket as I put the carrier on. Then I would have to place my jacket free baby in the carrier, put my jacket back on and try to wrap the baby in my coat as we ran into the store. Once the carrier was on, it was comfortable for about 20 minutes then the fabric would stretch and I kept having to make adjustments and retie it over and over again to prevent my bBy from slipping. When spring arrived, the fabric was so hot and not breathable that I would often have to take my daughter out of it because her face would get red and her entire body would get upper hot. I continued to use the carrier because by husband (cheap husband) did not want me p gt another one because she would soon be walking. It didn't work for us, and I feel that we gave it a fair amount of time to 'grow' on us. Personally I would not recommend the carrier. With my next baby I'm splurging for something better;)
on August 27, 2007
I now have three boys, when my second one was young, we were introduced to the concept of baby wearing, I wished I had known about it sooner, he is a special needs child and would have really benefited from babywearing right from the start. I used to use a non adjustable sling (new native style) it was good for the hip hold and it worked for the time, but, my shoulders and back were always sore. But, for the sake of my munchkin and because I believed in babywearing I soldiered on. Now my third one is three weeks old. I had tried a sling again and it just wasn't working. He didn't like it much because he couldn't be upright and looking around (he loves to see what's going on) and again, it was already making my shoulder and back sore even though he's only 10 lbs.

So I went online to look for more options and ran into the moby wraps. I have only had this wrap for a week, but have used it for several hours every day. There are several different positions that can be used, it is incredibly versitile, if your child doesn't like one position, don't worry, there's pleanty more to try. It also comes with a handy little carrying case so when you're done with your wrap, you can roll it up and put it in the carry case, it rolls down very compactly. Very easy to carry around even when not in use. Best of all, it's SO comfortable! No pain, soreness, or stiffness when wearing or when I'm done, it distributes the weight so well!

My son naps when I'm in with him, and a little on his own, but is more likely to wake up often. With this wrap, he naps wherever I am while I'm able to have both hands free to do things with my older boys and around the house. It has also made shopping a breeze. Wearing the baby leaves the basket and seat open for either merchendise, or my other boys. I can't say enough good things about the moby wrap.