Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Moby Wrap Original 100% Cotton Baby Carrier, Black
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Color: Black|Change

on January 12, 2007
This is number one on my list for how my husband, daughter and I have survived her months of colic! What we like about it:

- The Moby wrap was able to be used the day we brought our preemie baby home from the hospital.

- The Moby wrap swaddles your baby snuggly to you. If your baby likes swaddling as much as our does, this is the baby carrier for you.

- It spreads the weight out evenly across your back and shoulders and feels much better for longer periods of time (in comparison to our Baby Bjorn).

- There are a variety of ways to wear your baby with this carrier. We have used it 4 different ways so far. Being able to pull the cloth completely over her so she can sleep soundly is a plus. The instructions are easy to follow and while it looks difficult to put on, it really is quite simple after you've practiced it 3 or 4 times.

- The Moby wrap is easy to clean with being machine washable and dryable and there are no parts that can be broken or lost.

What we don't like about the Moby wrap:

- If you plan on wearing your baby to go grocery shopping or other things out in public, you need to put it on before you leave the house. It can be difficult to put on in the car or in places where you do not feel comfortable with the wrap touching the floor (parking lot, public floor, etc.). This is not a big deal, but important to remember before you run out the door. During the cooler months, I put the Moby on, then my coat.

Bottom-line: The Moby wrap was an excellent purchase. Putting our daughter in it and walking around or bouncing on an exercise ball was one of the few ways to calm her during the height of her colic. Our daughter is now 5-months old and still enjoys the Moby. We expect to continue to use our Moby wrap for many more months.
33 comments|462 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 24, 2007
I bough this wrap because my newborn wanted to be held constantly during his first couple months.

Pros:
- Can accommodate a number of different types of front and back holds.
- It is very comfortable to wear; as the wide fabric over the shoulder distributes the infants weight nicely.
- It can really snuggle your infant in good. You can even pull the fabric over the baby's head a little to block light.
- My boy would sleep in this for a couple hours at a time when he was newborn to 8 weeks old.
- Washes up easily

Cons:
- Takes a bit of time to get used to putting on; at first it's hard to get everything on tight enough but not too tight.
- Takes too long to put on and take off.
- The long length of fabric always ends up dragging on the floor as you put it on. Maybe not normally a big deal but it really sucked while camping.
- Too Bulky to stick in a diaper bag.
- As my baby got bigger it was too restraining for him and took too much fooling around to get him in it.

I really never used this wrap again after my baby was 12 weeks old or so. I ended up getting a Hotslings Sweet Pea Size 3 instead. This sling takes two seconds to put on, is small enough for my purse. It's not as comfortable as the Moby sling but it is wonderful for portability and works great with babies that can hold their heads up. My little boy loves to ride in the hip sling position. One disadvantage for the hotsling is that they are sized (you and your husband might need different sizes.)
88 comments|234 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2012
I remember being two months pregnant, and I saw a picture of a friend using a Moby wrap for their newborn. I had no idea what a Moby wrap was at the time, but the baby looked so snug that I decided I needed one. Fast forward several months, and I had a Moby wrap for my new baby girl. Once she hit 8 lbs (which did not take long), I put her in the newborn hold. She hated it! She cried and struggled in it.

I was so discouraged because I wanted to be a babywearing mom. I was envious of those moms that enjoyed wearing their babies around. I tried a few more time different days and still she would scream. Then I read a tip saying for the baby to be comfortable, you must be a confident baby wearer. So the next time I put her in the cradle hold, I was confident and told myself that it was going to work. She fussed, but I just patted her butt and moved around. Sure enough she enjoyed it and even fell asleep. She continued to enjoy being worn, even though she was fussy at first.

Once she hit three months, I started to wear her in a different position. She loves to be worn facing me, and this is probably why she fussed when put in the newborn hold - she just wanted to stretch her legs and see what was going on. Now I wear her whenever we are out or whenever she is having a fussy time, and it works like a charm.

People always comment about how calm and comfortable she looks. I love that this wrap allows her to look around and explore her world and then be tucked in when she is tired. She will nap 2-3 hours in this position if I let her. Another plus of the wrap is that people do not touch her, which is always nice, since it is germ season.

Get this Moby wrap and watch a few free videos. I didn't have a lot of success when it was perfectly folded. Instead, if I just scrunch the fabric and tie it around and it works great. My husband also wears this Moby wrap comfortably and enjoys wearing her while playing video games.
33 comments|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 18, 2012
It takes time to practice putting on but once you get the hang of it it is so comfortable and easy. I also have a Baby Bjorn which I still like but the Moby is much more comfortable on my back and shoulders for long wearing.

UPDATE -- 6 months later

I have had this carrier for 6 months now and still love it. I also own a few others so I thought I would put togethere my thoughts on all of the carriers that I own.

Infantino Sash Mei Tai --- It is very easy to put on and off and my 6 month old son is very happy in it. I love how easy it is to adjust the straps and when they get loose you can tie it again. I plan on using this one this summer at the playground when I'm chasing my 3 year old. Of all my carriers this is the easiest to nurse in because of how quickly you can adjust the shoulder straps to get the baby down low enough. The privacy hood is also great for nursing (and naps). I also like that I'll be able to wear my son on my back and hip as he gets bigger.

Ergo --- This is my favorite for long term wearing. The waist belt and great padding on the shoulder straps makes it very comfortable when you need to wear it for a long period of time. Since there are not any knots in the back (I tie my Mei Tai in the back) it's comfortable when you are sitting. It is very easy to nurse in the Ergo and the privacy hood is great for that and naps. This one can also be worn as a back pack and on the hip. The Ergo is very comfortable for my 6 month old and will last for a long time (I previously carried my daughter in it when she was close to 1 year old).

Moby Wrap --- This was my favorite when my son was first born. It takes some getting used to but once you are comfortable with how to tie it (go on Youtube - there are lots of people showing how to use it) it's is wonderful. The baby is curled up on your chest and is comfortable for both of you. The wrap is very large and you can tuck the baby in and go. I would continue to use this but with summer coming there is allot of fabric and it will be too hot for both of us. It was very easy to nurse hands free in the moby - again check out Youtube for tips.

Ring sling --- I have an older hand-me-down ring sling (it's probably 6 or 7 years old). I think it's hard to adjust and the material gets stuck in the ring when I'm trying to tighten it. It's made from a woven type of fabric (not a soft, stretchy one) so that could be part of it. A newer one made with different fabric might be better but I don't like mine.

Baby Bjorn --- I got this when my now 3 year old daughter was born. Back then this was the carrier everyone had. I have used it with my 6 month old son to carry him forward facing (i can't do that with my Ergo or Mei Tai). He likes that allot but I don't like that the baby is not in a natural seated position in the Bjorn (the natural seated position is best for when you wear your baby). I also don't like that there is not much flexibility for where the baby sits against your chest in the Bjorn. After both my daughter and son were around 4 months old their head was already at my chin level and you can't make many adjustments to lower them (it is not an option to nurse in this carrier). This carrier is quick and easy to put on and I liked that allot when both kids were very young.
on March 1, 2013
I bought this carrier because I'm a fluffy mommy that wears a size 20. With my first daughter, I've had carriers that didn't fit so I tried the Moby based on some recommendations from other moms I know. I LOVE this carrier. I can't wrap it back around the front and tie it, but I still have plenty of material left to tie it in the back. It doesn't affect how supportive the carrier is at all. In fact, my baby feels quite like an extension of my body, and except for the wiggling and jiggling he does, I barely notice I'm carrying 15 extra pounds around on the front of my body. In terms of support, this is a great carrier, and it's awesome for us plus size ladies.

Some other things that may or may not apply to you:

1. I live in a hot climate and I have the black wrap. In my opinion it only makes me feel hot on the front, where the baby is pressed up against my body. This was also true for ever other carrier I've ever used too though, so I don't think it's unique to this carrier.

2. The fact that this carrier doesn't use snaps and adjusters is both a pro and a con. On one hand, snaps and adjusters are nice because there isn't any kind of learning curve, but the Moby definitely takes a few tries to get the hang of it. However, once you have the hang of it, I don't think it takes any longer to put on than any other carrier, and without straps and adjust-y thingies, my husband and I can easily switch who's wearing it without having to constantly re-size a bunch of straps.

3. One thing I don't like about this carrier, is that I have personally found it difficult to breastfeed in. I know other moms who do it with success, but it's one hurdle I haven't overcome yet. I usually just take the baby out and cradle him, then use part of the sling where I would normally use my arm to hoist up his bum. It makes it easy to walk around and nurse him by taking some of the weight burden, but it's not perfect or hands free for me.

4. This carrier is not for forward facing your baby. It doesn't support their legs or back and can hurt their spine.

5. This carrier can be very snug. I like this because my baby feels very supported.

6. I also like that you can have their feet in or out, and you can have their arms in our out.

7. I wear my baby in this sling when I grocery shop, and I slip a small pouch with my debit card right in the "seatbelt" par of the carrier, like a pocket. It's really convenient.

Overall I absolutely love this carrier and I would recommend to anyone who is looking for one that is supportive, won't hurt their bag, and definitely for the plus sized mammas out there!
on May 21, 2007
The Moby was a Godsend when my twins were born. It was a little confusing at first learning to tie it (that could have been from the lack of sleep, though). However, the instructions were very helpful, and the color step-by-step pictures helped a LOT!! I could "wear" both the girls in it up to their 8th week, and it was amazing how they would just cuddle together and fall asleep in it. I could vacuum, clean up, fold laundry, etc. while I was "wearing" them. They are 16 months old now, and my husband and I still "wear them" one at a time forward-facing. they love being close to us, and we love being able to carry them free-handed without buckles, clasps, etc. I never tried, though a friend told me it is also useful for discreet nursing.
review image review image review image
on April 4, 2011
on May 29, 2011
I feel as this was the best purchase we've made for our baby. The first three months were much easier for me because we bought the Moby wrap. My newborn would stop crying and fall asleep the minute I would put him in the sling... I was able to do house work, cook, and use my computer all while my baby was peacefully sleeping on my chest. Before I had the sling, I spent all my time on calming my crying baby and putting him to sleep. It was very hard because I did not have time to do anything else besides feeding, changing, putting my baby to sleep and getting rest myself... When we got the moby wrap, it was a miracle!

I would recommend this to every mom.
review image
on July 28, 2014
I was hesitant to purchase this because of the reviews about it being "so hard to wrap" and an overwhelming amount of fabric, etc. However, after using this for about the last 2-3 months, I AM SO GLAD I BOUGHT THIS, OH MY GOD! What a life saver. Baby Bjorn has bad reviews due to hip dysplasia, caused by forcing the legs down, so I was on the hunt for something that I knew would be comfy and safe for her.. Here are my general tips in response to other reviews:

YES - you will need to learn how to wrap it. Seriously, it's not that complicated. There are videos out there if you can't do the page-by-page instructions. You only need to really learn one way of tying it, don't overcomplicate the situation. You are a human being, it is a piece of fabric. Hopefully, you win out in the brains dept.

GIVE IT SOME TIME - You have to learn the right tightness for this to work properly. After talking to friends, we decided that you almost always have to go a little tighter than you think is actually right, and that is the perfect amount. I know how many extra wraps around the waist and roughly where the tie should be to get the perfect fit, you will learn this after a week of two of using it.

YOU WILL GET FASTER - I can't believe I have to say this, but dude... Don't wait until your baby is crying to attempt some new wrap carrier. After you get the hang of it, you can put it on in less than 30 seconds. The first couple times will take a few minutes. Don't stress yourself out by waiting until you have a screaming infant to "practice" this.

My baby will sleep in this almost instantly when she is tired, it's like a swaddle and a carrier. When used properly, she feels very secure. We fold laundry, do dishes, take short walks, etc. It's not too feminine that the hubby also wears it. I wear this about 3-4 hours a day with a 5 month old and it doesn't kill my back.

I also own the Ergo (which does not cause hip issues), which I prefer for running to the store, hiking, really long treks across town, etc. because it has a pocket and is easier to get her in and out of. I had the Ergo first and loved it with the insert, but when she was 2-3 months old she started hating it - she wasn't big enough to go without the insert but too big for the insert. Now she likes it again, so I found owning both of these to be the perfect combination. I see myself using the Ergo more and more as she gets larger, but the Moby was superior for the early months. I wish I had bought it while I was pregnant.

I found taking her out without waking her up to be the biggest challenge. I don't follow the directions, instead I support her while I gently unwrap the Moby from the both of us. Pulling her straight out always wakes my girl up.

There you go, hope that helps!
on July 29, 2011
At first I thought this would be hard to use; but like with everything practice makes perfect. The fabric is very long and can be a little intimidating but not to worry the product site has videos that help solve any issues, you can also youtube information videos. I love the fact that you can use this product with a new born and older babies as well. I've used this wrap when my baby was a new born and continue to use it now that she is a few months older. I have tried using the backpack type of carrier and was very disappointed my babies head flopped all over the place so I went back to using my Moby. Lessoned learned stick with the Moby!
review image review image