18,134 Reviews
 (11,043)
 (3,407)
 (1,902)

3,172 of 3,502 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected Direction, but Perfection (Potential spoilers, but pretty vague)
This was a brilliant conclusion to the trilogy. I can only compare it to "Ender's Game" - and that is extremely high praise, indeed.

When I first closed the book last night, I felt shattered, empty, and drained.

And that was the point, I think. I'm glad I waited to review the book because I'm not sure what my review would have been.

For...
Published on August 24, 2010 by A. R. Bovey

962 of 1,114 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Torn about this book...
SPOILERS***************SPOILERS*****************SPOILERS
L
E
R
S
Okay, on the one hand, I liked this book. Liked it enough that I couldn't stop reading because I NEEDED to know what happened--specifically to Peeta. I also liked what happened in the end...but...well...
Published on August 30, 2010 by bklvr

‹ Previous | 133 34 351814 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't live up to the first two books., August 25, 2010
This review is from: Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games) (Hardcover)
Okay, so I like others have read The Hunger Games and catching fire multiple times. At the end of Catching Fire, I absolutely could not wait to find out what happened to Katniss and her friends. When Mockingjay opens, I was a bit disoriented from the jump in time. Although it wasn't a big leap, it was enough to make me wish that it had been picked up right where it left off.

The book, overall was way too depressing and somewhat confusing. A couple of things that I thought were going to come back, like the mayor's daughter or the refugees that Katniss saw when she was in District 12, Effie Trinket or Cinna. Their storylines were resolved, but just with a mention or a realization of what had happened to them. Something I was sort of hoping for was for Katniss to find her father. I thought that maybe it would turn out that he had been working with the rebels in District 13 all the time that he was thought to be dead. That when she got there, she would find him there and it wouldn't be perfect or anything, but she would have found him.

I think Katniss spent too much time recuperating in bed. The last bombing, where Prim is killed was really disjointed. I had to flip back and forth a bunch to figure out what the heck was going on. It seemed unnecessary and at that point maybe it would have been better if Katniss had died too. From all that she went through, it seemed sort of odd that she just went back to living and being in the meadow in District 12 with Peeta and her children.

I did want to be surprised with this book and I was, but not necessarily in a good way. I will probably read the others again, and maybe even this one eventually but it didn't live up to the first two at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Story not well executed, September 3, 2010
I am a tremendous fan of Ms. Collins and her writing style and books. This series is one of the mmost riveting, can't put down stories. While I liked the book and how it dealt with the different relationships and story lines, I felt that it was too rushed and not executed well. She concludes all story lines to a certain extent leaving room for a spin off of other characters if so desired. What I wasn't too thrilled about was the fact that it left some unanswered questions. I did not like the lack of closure for Gale and Katniss, while I understand the conclusion the result was lacking. I also felt that the end should have had more body and time devoted as opposed to the beginning scenes which felt a little long and drawn out leaving the end short and choppy. This being said, I would still highly reccommend this book and series, as I have done already, to anyone but can not give a full 5 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars dissapointed fan, January 18, 2012
spoilers. this book started out with great potential. katniss was finally in a setting where she could take some control of the plot and really develop into a full character without the all encompassing «need to survive» thing that was keeping her flat and dominated the first two books...

there was also a great opportunity to develop the relationship between gale and katniss which i was very excited for. katniss was also with her mother and sister which had alot of potential for character development and interaction as they were hardly in the previous books. unfortunately none of this happened. as a matter of fact nothing much happened throughout the book. i was waiting for the endless mental/psychological torment of katniss to end so the plot could move on...i mean i know she cared about peeta but for goodness sake it was ridiculous! considering she had gale and her family and a chance to fight the capitol...

but thats not all. the plot itself was sloppy and all to convient...patches of action thrown in at places that dont make sense...and the characters like gale and prim got ripped off and ignored, only there in name. the author obviously had no idea where to go with the plot or how to end things so it rambled and went nowhere...then she just started killing off tons of people at the end...and it was just a huge disappointed, badly written, and i hope the movie can somehow fix this mess from the author.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wish I never read it! Horrible end to a fantastic start!! :(, April 5, 2012
Meg (Chester, England) - See all my reviews
What in the world happened to the great writing of Suzanne Collins?? I loved the first two books so much, they complimented each other like peas and carrots. I finished both books in 3 days, and I have two young children!! I just couldn't put them down b/c I couldn't stop reading them. Then I get to Mockingjay......:(

Let me just say, I can go on and on about how horrible this book is, but I don't have to. Just read all the 1 star reviews and thats basically how I feel about it. To me it seemed like Suzanne got lazy and was in a rush or something to finish this book. The best way I can describe it, as I did to my other family members, is like this.......A brand new television drama starts up, first two seasons are awesome, then the third season comes and the character's story lines get hokie, then it becomes unintersting and you stop watching. Thats exactly, to me, what the trilogy was like. I was struggling to get through Mockingjay b/c of how uninteresting and hokie it became.

I'm really saddenend by this book, I agree with others about maybe having someone else take it and start from scratch. I would have loved to have seen Katniss live up to becoming the Mockingjay. I would have loved to have seen Peeta becoming the great speaker to all the districts to help fight forward against Snow and the Capitol. And I would have loved to have seen Gale actually become a great character, he had so much potential to build him up and make him so interesting, but I think he wasn't a favorite with Collins, so he became nothing more, and that angered me!! Oh, and the death of Finnick, that was pathetic!! What a great character to end him like that.

So in all who happens to read my review, don't buy the last book! Its not worth it! It will ruin every greatness of the first two. And I hope Hollywood rewrites the last movie into something completely different b/c the book sucked!!! Suzanne, I don't think I could read another one of your books after you butchered this one. It was pathetic and sloppy. Thanks alot!

2.0 out of 5 stars Worst trilogy closer since The Matrix Revolutions, March 8, 2012
Forget for a moment that this book is the third in a trilogy. Forget that you're a fan of the previous books. Instead, look at it as an entity unto itself.

On that level, "Mockingjay" is the story of a societal upheaval and class war, narrated by a character who is absent from the majority of the action. A doting character who spends more time anxiously wondering when her two potential lovers will come home from battle (and which of them she'll choose), rather than having a part in the battle herself. Who spends several moments drugged or unconscious (again, this is the NARRATOR), and has characters explain to her in giant expository blocks of dialogue how the story moved forward without her while she was out. A character who can't make decisions, and instead allows story contrivances to make choices for her. These things describe a pretty bad book.

NOW think about the fact that the weak character described here is Katniss Everdeen, the proactive, no-nonsense, survivalist hero of "The Hunger Games" and "Catching Fire."

It's no longer just a "bad book." It's a travesty.

Apologists seem to think that the negative reviews are from readers who couldn't handle how "dark" this book is, who didn't like that it ends with no "happily ever after" moment, but this isn't true. The problem isn't that the story goes places fans don't want it to go. The problem is that it's a poor story, poorly-told. It is really that simple. Beyond what's above, the book introduces numerous bland "red-shirt" characters you're meant to care for (SPOILER: you don't) only so it can wring some emotion from you when they're summarily killed off. Even the characters from the previous books act out-of-character to the point that they're nearly unrecognizable. The narrative action is poorly-written and oftentimes difficult to follow.

As for the ending itself, for all the claims of how "true to life" it's meant to be, it's remarkably contrived, especially in how Collins ONCE AGAIN shoehorns the titular Games into the story. Everything about it feels false. Events occur that are cloying and manipulative, and it's shameful. This book feels like the result of Collins being forced to get this book finished so they could get to work on the films.

It's bad enough to make you want to blot it from your memory as not existing in the Hunger Games universe. A sad whimper of a way to close out such a great series.

1.0 out of 5 stars What did I just read, April 11, 2014
I didn't start reading these books until the first two movies came out. That being said, maybe I shouldn't have read this last one. The first chunk of the book is spent with a bothersome Katniss doing little more than complaining about her little love triangle. I'm going to skip the middle of the book, not much goes on besides propaganda bombings by the rebels. At the end there is finally some action, but it is short lived and riddled with seemingly unnecessary talk between the the main people in the storyline. The very end is pretty lackluster, after an entire trilogy of books, nothing really changed in their world, other than presidency changing hands. Maybe I am just too old to enjoy or like the book, but there weren't any parts that really grabbed me, this short book took me far too long to read, as it was hard for me to pick it up and start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mockingjay, August 31, 2010
Wow where to begin. It's been a long time since I book made me feel so many different emotions. I don't know what it is about the last book of series but they always end up upsetting me for different reasons. Why the authors feel it has to be a huge roller coster ride is beyond me. But that was how this book was. I laughed, I cried, I felt sick and just whipped out at the end. I couldn't put the book down I just couldn't leave my characters hanging with things so unresolved. This book really shocked me with the amount of gore, violence, horror and death. It definatly surpased the other books. I don't know how they can call books like this Young Adult. I am having trouble with all that I read, I just want to sit down and cry, not for the characters but people who have actually had to live threw war and then face a lifetime of the memories.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing, December 14, 2013
I was shocked by how badly written this book was. I understand it's for teens but if that is the level teens are reading at I'm disgusted.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, November 2, 2010
I was very disappointed by this book. The first 2, in my opinion, we're sensational. I was expecting much more from this one. I didn't like the direction it took. From the very start Katniss seemed so disconnected and reckless. Much moreso than in the first 2 books, and almost to the point of frustration.

--- Possible Spoiler ---

The ending was far too sudden and very anti-climactic. It almost felt to me like it was just jumbled together at the very last minute in order to meet a deadline. I would have liked for things to go much slower and come in more detail. The relationships between Katniss and those closest to her seemed to disappear into the background, almost as if she no longer cared. I was going to give the book 2 stars, but decided on 3 only because of the way it ended (literally the last 2 pages).

2.0 out of 5 stars DisappointedJay, August 25, 2010
Was hoping for some amazing twists from 'background' characters in books 1 & 2, i.e. Was Madge's mom really sick or just a mole in the mayor's home? Did Madge intentionally give Katniss the mockingjay pin on Haymitch's orders? Would Madge find love with Gale?
How would Peeta survive and become the mouthpiece for the revolution? Would Katniss allow herself to love and find her strength and balance through love with Peeta?
For me, it felt like Ms. Collins was straddling a line between writing the screenplay for Hunger Games and a deadline to finish book 3. I also felt like the author had a very strict agenda--WAR IS HELL. Her agenda muted the characters, and all the set-ups in books 1 & 2 were abandoned, as were the characters.
It is a grim ending/moral: war is hell, humanity's unsinkable hope turns depressing at best, there's no joy to be found, even in your own family.
Katniss and Peeta are no longer the youthful, fiery heralders of truth and freedom as established in books 1 & 2, instead, they are used up pawns whose future looks cloudy at best and down right futile at worst.
Ugh.

‹ Previous | 133 34 351814 | Next ›

Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games)
Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games) by Suzanne Collins (Hardcover - August 24, 2010)
$18.99 $11.85