Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Showing 1-10 of 185 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on July 6, 2011
This is a very beautiful and practical book explaining how we can learn to be happy all the time. In three volumes, it explains the whole Buddhist path to enlightenment. Geshe Kelsang begins by explaining why we need to practise Buddha's teachings - although we want to be happy all the time, we don't know how to do this and we are continually destroying our happiness by developing negative states of mind ('delusions') such as anger, attachment and ignorance. He goes on to show how happiness comes from inner peace, and how a peaceful mind can only be achieved by controlling and finally eliminating our delusions by practising Buddha's teachings on developing wisdom and compassion.

It's very kind of Geshe Kelsang to allow this book to be made available free of charge considering the wealth of wisdom that is contained within it - read it, practise it, and watch your problems vanish.
on July 11, 2011
I've had the paper copy for a while and now have the free eBook version, which is very beneficial for myself and others. I treasure Geshe Kelsang Gyatso's teachings and am amazed (but not surprised) that he is offering this book for free so that countless living beings may benefit from the pure Dharma within it. I have many of his books and find the teachings in Modern Buddhism to be consistent with his other books, but there are some subtle, beneficial differences in this book that are not in any of his other books. In his books, he seems to be relating to people of the current time. He seems to constantly hone and clarify the teachings so that they are easy for modern people to read, understand, and put into practice. Because the eBook is free, I have found it to be very easy to "give" to others who might not otherwise have access to the book. Many people I know have found this book extremely helpful in their daily lives. I highly recommend it and rejoice that it is free for everyone.
on August 6, 2011
These three volumes are a gift to humanity. Geshe states they are to be distributed free. shame on Amazon for charging even minimally for volume one. they are ALL free from other e-book distributors.
66 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2012
These books are amazing. It's almost as if he's holding your hand and guiding you through the path of wisdom and compassion. It's written for the beginner ("The Path of a Person of Initial Scope") as well as the experienced ("Middling Scope" and "Great Scope"). Very practical.
on November 9, 2011
I own both the ebook and the paperback versions of this book and I find that each time I read it I get a little something more out of it. The best thing is if you know nothing about Buddhism this book is helpful and if you've been studying Buddhism for 20yrs it's also helpful. Everything you need to know about Buddhism and how to put it into practice in your day to day life is in here. Read and enjoy.
on January 26, 2012
I have read many books on Buddhism and they always left me feeling confused or seeking more answers this book is clearly written in layman's terms. Very easy to understand and put into daily practice. I had purchased the paperback version first and now have the kindle download so that I was able to pass on my hardcopy to someone else who was looking for answers. Thank you.
on July 11, 2016
I have embarked on a little personal journey to achieve at least a baseline understanding of as wide of a variety of the world's religions as I can. Being a western reader, some of the books regarding Buddhism have been a little difficult for me to understand due to translation issues, and just a general distance from the culture in which Buddhism came about. I found this book to and its other volumes to be the best at delineating the applications of Buddhism to the modern international reader. This book has much to contribute to the spiritual seeker.
on May 10, 2013
This book presents what could have been a difficult subject very simply with great wisdom. I truly appreciate the knowledge and caring of the author to explain Buddhism and all of its beautiful visualizations, thoughts and meditations. Do get this book if you have any interest in getting some understanding of Buddhism.
on June 27, 2016
This is a great read. Its easy to understand, which is hard to find in books on Buddhism. I really enjoyed it and would recommend it to others whether you are simply learning about the religion or a practicing Buddhist.
on December 29, 2015
This book changed my life. However, if you are new to Buddhism, I suggest you read a variety of authors in addition to this because it will give you a better idea of how to realistically practice in your daily life.