5.0 out of 5 stars Yum!, December 2, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Modern Classics, Book 2: Cookies, Biscuits & Slices, Small Cakes, Cakes, Desserts, Hot Puddings, Pies & Tarts (Paperback)
I just got this for my birthday, and I couldn't be happier. The book is well laid out; the recipes are easy to follow and there is a photograph for every recipe. Just reading through the book makes you hungry. So far I have made two desserts out of here in the last month, both of which received rave reviews. Previous experience with the Donna Hay cookbooks has shown me that here recipes are well constructed and tested. I can't wait to try more recipes from here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Martha!, April 13, 2004
Sarah B. "Sarah B." (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book because of the simple and delicious looking photos, and for the authentic British/Aussie recipes that I have grown up with. I researched Donna Hay and have found her to be as interesting and creative as our own Ms. Stewart, but find Ms. Hay's approach more subtle and simple. Thank you Donna Hay! I wish your magazine was available in the U.S. One day eh?
This makes a great coffee table book if you're not into baking and cooking. Or give as a gift to your chef wanna be friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious ;-(), September 2, 2006
Little Miss Cutey (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
If you want to impress people with delicious treats that look complex yet are easy to make, this book is for you. Donna Hay's books are full of great ideas that are broken up into easy to make items that taste so good. As the title suggests, this book focuses on all the good stuff; desserts, cookies and cakes etc.

My favourite recipes (and the ones that I've made successfully so far) in here are Melting Moments, Triple Chocolate Semifreddo, Moist Chocolate Cake and the Simple Lemon Cake. Everything turned out OK for me (which is rare) and I credit that to her easy to follow instruction (the motivating pictures) and all the helpful hints. In the back of the book there is a Glossary, Before You Start, A Perfect Finish - all mini chapters to give you extra information and helpful tips. She is on a par to Rachael Ray. Both make great ideas and help you discover that we all can be good cooks. I really enjoy this book and hope you get to try some of the great recipes in here too because each one is easy and incredibly good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Donna Hay Rocks!!!, March 21, 2005
All of her cookbooks are incredible, and the magazine as well. What is great is that the ingredient lists are short and there is a picture illustrating every recipe. The thing to be careful of, however, is that an Australian Tbs. is not the same as an American one (It is about 1 TBS + 1 tsp.). Also, some of the fruits aren't readily available here (very few) but I'm sure if you are creative you can make a substitution! PS to the reviewer who can't find the magazine...I live in a medium sized town and my local Barnes and Noble carries it regularly...a few months behind, but better than nothing!! And I think you can order a subscription through amazon.com or isubscribe.au.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Aussie (or ANY) Dessert Recipe Book!, March 4, 2005
I am American, but having lived in Sydney for over six years & married an Australian, it was such bliss to have been given this book as a 'bon voyage' gift! I can now make Anzac biscuits, caramel slice & pavlova with confidence. It's great too that the measurements have been 'converted' to American standards.

In any case, it is the one book that I always reference when having to make any type of dessert. I love the photography, the instructions & suggestions at the bottom of the recipes (ie. to make a cake lemon instead of vanilla, etc.). I'm also a big Donna Hay fan too -- shame the magazine isn't available in the US.

5.0 out of 5 stars Betcha can't make just one!, March 7, 2005
Dollybird (Richmond, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
This book has more awesome recipes than you can imagine. They say you only really use about 10% of each cookbook on average and this one is going to make up for all the others. You will be taking goodies everywhere you go! This book has a lot of very simple, but fabulous desserts that you won't believe how easy they are to make. If you love desserts and you love to impress people you should get this book that is loaded with great recipes:)

5.0 out of 5 stars great, March 10, 2014
It is really difficult not to make a good cake with these recipes. In most cases it is enough to throw everything into one bowl and mix before placing the butter in a tin and baking. Fast, delicious, simple.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, elegant and delicious, March 4, 2004
By A Customer
I got this book as a birthday gift and was very pleased! I'm a cookbook addict and the things that I really appreciated about this are the photographs for each dessert, the simplicity of the recipes and the instructions and the terrific variety offerred. There is really something for everyone. So far I have made the chocolate caramel slice which is simple and got rave reviews at work and home, the melt and mix chocolate coconut cake and the sponge cake. You will want to be sure that you a have a kitchen scale, too - lots of weights in here but I think this is a terrific book and well worth the investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book 1 of the series includes savory dishes and Book 2 has sweet recipes., April 20, 2014
Leigh Barie (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
Gorgeous cookbook with classic recipes everyone should be familiar with and stunning color photographs throughout. Book 1 of the series includes savory dishes and Book 2 has sweet recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!!, January 20, 2014
It was what I expected, after viewing her TV shows !! I can't wait to prepares all the recipes!!! The photos are also wonderful!!!

Rate and Discover Movies