4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not as good as MCP Phonics
Definitely the best Math book I've found for this level but not as good as MCP's Phonics. For the price, it is a gem. Just wish it had been as good as the Phonics.
Published on May 7, 2007 by Breann

3.0 out of 5 stars First half of the book is too simple
I homeschool my 6 year old, and the first half of this book was too simple. We skipped over all the prepositional sheets and counting to 10. Most kids in kindergarten can already do this. The 2nd half was much more appropriate with counting money and simple addition. I also have the teacher's book to use with it.
Published on December 28, 2010 by jobebbe

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not as good as MCP Phonics, May 7, 2007
Breann (Tennessee, USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent teaching curriculum, December 23, 2009
This review is from: Modern Curriculum Press Mathematics, Level K (Paperback)
I had homeschooled for 5 years, coming across this book from a kindergarted set from Christian Liberty Press. It was too easy for my 5 year old, but seemed perfect for my 4 year old. I loved the "mental math" section on each section that made my preschooler stop and think, and get all the answers right. I am now using the book for my 5 year old in kindergarten (Christian school) because she's having trouble thinking things through, though she understands and knows much. She has to have one-on-one teaching to keep her focused and this book quickly gets the lessons across to a child that has a hard time making certain connections during learning. But a MUST buy, is the TEACHER'S MANUAL. Without it, the book just has simple math lessons. I found a used copy from AMAZON.com, as they run about $32.00. Sadly, it's well worth the price wherever you can find it. I got rid of my two books when I couldn't homeschool my children any longer, and now find myself with a familiar friend I can trust get me through these times of individual learning by her side. This set of books is helping my daughter learn on every level, not just math. It is a special curriculum through all ages, as I taught through 5th grade math with MCP and found I actually enjoyed math as a math-hater, growing up. This math always seems to have a purpose and uses real life situations for learning word problems.

3.0 out of 5 stars First half of the book is too simple, December 28, 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars Modern Ciriculum Press Math Kindergarden, March 26, 2009
KHA (Fort Wayne, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Modern Curriculum Press Mathematics, Level K (Paperback)
This is a great introductory math book for Kindergarden. The pace is slower and introduces each concept thoroughly. A good book to start with in Kindergarden!

5.0 out of 5 stars good weekly progression, August 10, 2010
This review is from: Modern Curriculum Press Mathematics, Level K (Paperback)
We looked at several math curricula when we decided to homeschool our children. Other publishers/books, such as Saxon Math, have a lot of repetition. An awful lot. But for our children repetition just drives them crazy when they've already got the concept of the chapter under their belt. Enter MCP math. By the end of the chapter, you can see a progression in the problems. Other publishers' books didn't show much progress by the end of the chapter, and it drove our kids crazy. We've used MCP math books for 4 years now, and still enjoy them. (As long as it works, keep with it!) One thing, you need some dry beans, pennies, little pom poms, or other simple manipulatives, an empty egg carton, and a hundred chart for basic counting in the early grades, certainly K-3 or as your child needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Math Book for Kindergarten!, October 15, 2010
This review is from: Modern Curriculum Press Mathematics, Level K (Paperback)
I love this book and am using it (and another copy) with my 4 year old twins. I was able to skip some material for my son, but my daughter needed more help and we started from the very beginning. I like the progression of skills through the book. I would recommend this curriculum to anyone looking for something that is easy to use and effective!

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect for kindergarten math preparation, April 13, 2010
This review is from: Modern Curriculum Press Mathematics, Level K (Paperback)
i have this book and the singapore math 'essential math' series. both books are geared more towards late 4yo-early 5yo range, however my boys understood the concepts much faster using this book. the lessons begin by teaching kids the ordinal concepts (top/bottom, first/middle/last) and end with pictures of subtraction (5 acorns, cross out 2 acorns and what do you have?). in contrast, the singapore math book starts with a child selecting the different object from a series (e.g., 3 teddy bears, one has a bow-tie - which one is different?) and end with the child drawing a line to match up the same objects in two columns (e.g., 5 stars to 5 stars, 3 circles to 3 circles, etc.)

i thought the price was a bit high given that i have twins, but luckily our printer is also a photocopier so i just copy the sheets for my boys. that way we can revisit worksheets if need be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern Curriculum Press Mathematics, Level K, March 14, 2013
This review is from: Modern Curriculum Press Mathematics, Level K (Paperback)
Great !! Love it! Just what I needed for my four year old. He is learning and enjoying it. I love it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Easy, October 29, 2012
Jeff N. Thurman "pjbetk" (Joplin, MO, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Modern Curriculum Press Mathematics, Level K (Paperback)
Not sure how this is Kindergarten level Math. Purchased it to use for my Pre-K son as a prep for Kindergarten next year. Way too easy. Skipped to the end of the book and he had finished everything new to him in a couple of weeks.

Modern Curriculum Press Mathematics, Level K
Modern Curriculum Press Mathematics, Level K by Royce Hargrove (Paperback - 1994)
Used & New from: $0.97