5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing
Published on November 20, 2010 by D. McIntosh

Published on January 18, 2008 by Dan Panetti

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing, November 20, 2010
D. McIntosh "mcintosh2000" (Washington State, United States) - See all my reviews
Have you ever opened your Bible at random and hoped God would speak to you, yet ended up pointing at a verse about how many cubits long the temple curtains should be? Have you ever read through your Bible in a year, only to discover you did indeed read it (perhaps in 2 years instead of 1), yet you don't remember a thing? Is everything you know about Scripture handed down from your pastor or a small group leader?

If any of these describe you, then you need A Modern Girl's Guide to Bible Study by Jen Hatmaker. This book is truly life changing. The tone is friendly, girlfriend-to-girlfriend. The author seems to know me and the struggles I've had in setting aside time for successful Bible study time.

After taking time to work through this book, you will have tools and courage to study the Bible on your own. None of the ideas are "out there." As a matter of fact, you have probably heard of every single idea in the book. But, at least for me, I've never heard them presented in a comprehensive, compelling way that moved me to action.

After 8 weeks, I am still meeting God each morning. The time is richer than I ever could have imagined. Please, if you considering buying this book, just do it! You won't be sorry!

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, January 11, 2007
This review is from: A Modern Girl's Guide to Bible Study: A Refreshingly Unique Look at God's Word (Paperback)
I found this book very helpful. I did this Bible study with a group of girls. I loved it because it gave great tips and tools on how to study the Bible and how to go about gaining a deeper knowledge of what I read. I now have the confidence and understanding on how to tackle a deep Bible study and how to go about disecting a book or person in the Bible.

3.0 out of 5 stars Candid and transparent look at how to connect with God thru Scripture, January 18, 2008
I suppose it might be necessary to explain why I, a man, read A Modern Girl's Guide to Bible Study. Truth be told, I was looking for resources to be able to better connect my Biblical Literacy course to women as well as connect with ladies in my Bible fellowship class at church. Well, Jen Hatmaker sure connects with women in this book - she is very candid and transparent as she reveals how she struggled with her feelings of inadequacy kept her from really studying God's Word for herself. But, this book is not about her failings, it's about her breakthrough to a new level of intimacy with the Almighty that has come from a deeper connection with God through His Word primarily through a technique she's learned to employ that engages and equips her - journaling. Hatmaker has become an avid reader of Scripture, journaling her thoughts, questions, and God's responses as she walks through God's Word with the help of the Counselor. Good book for "modern girls" old and young alike who want to draw closer to God through time spent studying His Word.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, August 28, 2006
As a christian for 25 years I have never studied the bible this way. It has opened a new wonderful world for me in understanding what The Lord has to say. Jennifer shares her knowledge in a very humorous and practical way. LOVED IT!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Modern Girl's Guide to Bible Study, February 8, 2007
Literary Marie (MI United States) - See all my reviews
I highly recommend this to anyone who is a member of a womens Bible Study group. The topics are relatable and I learned quite a few approaches to studying the Bible. I had fears of studying the Bible and this book helped me to overcome and actually look forward to studying the Word. Definately purchase this entire series and you will find that reading the Bible is a fun habit.

4.0 out of 5 stars journal font hard to read, December 8, 2010
Va kinlefan#23 (Charlottesville, VA United States) - See all my reviews
There are some portions of this book that I found harder to read in the kindle edition. A different font is used in some journal sections and it could not be increased in size to a level that I found easy to read. Otherwise, I found the book useful and very funny in some parts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended Seller!, January 13, 2012
Great seller! Prompt shipment & book was in great condition. The author truly relates to my generation & I love her whimsical style of writing. I'm 30 and have never found a Bible study book that makes it fun and fresh! This one does! Recommended x100!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good!, March 23, 2010
My friend and I went through this book together online. We would do one chapter every other week. It took us quite a while to get through the book but it was worth it.

First of all, Jen Hatmaker is VERY funny. She is my kind of Christian Friend! She says all those things you might think but would never dare say. I love her!

Secondly, this girl loves God and His Word. She truly has inspired me to want to dig deeper.

I am inherently a lazy person when it comes to any kind of study, so what I'm about to say is not a reflection on the book or on Jen: I found some of the strategies/tools presented just overwhelming--getting another version of the Bible, comparing a verse to different versions, maybe getting a biblical dictionary, a thesaurus...to me it's a bit intimidating. Not that she says you have to do them all at once, I just tend to be an all or nothing kind of thinker, so I know it's my warped mind thinking, "if I can't do all of these things, I'm not doing any of them!" I **do** want to employ these tips but I'll probably be taking baby steps.

I am willing to at the very least journal my way through my reading of Scripture.

Definitely a must-have for a women's Bible study; it's fresh and enthusiastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Teaches you how to study with humor & warmth, November 5, 2009
Kt. "Kt." (Manitoba, Canada) - See all my reviews
I am so happy I found this study. When I was going through the reviews I didn't understand the difference between this book and Jen's other books, but ordered it anyway. I was thrilled to find out that this book works quadruple time! It's a novel about learning how to study God's word, full of anecdotes, humour, insight and warmth. It's a study guide with a six week course that has journal exercises for you and teaches you how to conduct your own study of the bible, for you, without a net. It's a small group's leader guide so you can work through it alone or with friends AND it has three different 4 - 6 week reading schedules to start you off on your own study after you've read her guidance.

As someone who is starting to study the bible for the first time, I couldn't have asked for a better guide. I definitely recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for newbies, December 13, 2012
Makes Bible study more approachable. The humor is awesome! With chapter titles like "Nair, Diet Pills, and Other Things that don't work" how can you go wrong!

A Modern Girl's Guide to Bible Study: A Refreshingly Unique Look at God's Word
$12.99 $11.69
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.