5.0 out of 5 stars Great for this Greek, February 28, 2003
Elena (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Modern Greek (Paperback)
This book has an absolutely beautiful layout with gorgeous pictures on nearly every page. The recipes are very authentic and diverse. Everything I grew up eating is in this book. There are also some very interesting recipes that are not in standard greek cookbooks (e.g. chickpea meatballs).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Greek Homecooking!, January 31, 2007
This review is from: Modern Greek (Paperback)
I picked up this Greek cookbook mostly because of the wonderful photographs. A novice cook like myself feels much more confident if they can see what the dish is supposed to look like when cooked. Now I have to say that on top of making these recipes for the first time, I also can not cook/bake with gluten so I've had to substitute some of the ingredients with gluten-free versions...but all of my recipes from this book turned out amazing! I've made the skordalia, fried zucchini, Cod w/Leek rice, Fried Cheese, Spinach Pie (Used Thai rice paper to replace Filo - not as good as real filo but got a new GF Filo recipe to try next time), Greek country salad, prawns with feta & tomatoes(OUT OF THIS WORLD!), Spinach rice, Chicken rice with lemon egg sauce, Peas, baked chicken with yoghurt on top, and a gluten free version of the semolina pudding (Replaced most of the flour with a mix of hazelnut flour and some rice flour.) Absolutely everything I have made so far has turned out tasty! I adore this cookbook and plan continue cooking meals from it for my family often.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cookbook!, January 7, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Modern Greek (Paperback)
I like this cookbook for the clear instructions and lovely pictures. I love Greek and Mediterranean food and this cookbook is the best I have found for Greek food. The desserts in this book are wonderful.

4.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful book, January 6, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Modern Greek (Paperback)
I was drawn to this book by the large amount of gorgeous pictures on almost every page that makes every recipe tempting to make.
I have made several of the dishes and they were all a big hit. My husband has just moved to Canada from Greece and I was able to bring Greece dishes to him...
The only recipe that was not so great was the melomacarona which did not resemble the sweets that I had many times in Greece.
If you must choose one greek recipe book, this is a must have!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring in every way!, August 25, 2006
This review is from: Modern Greek (Paperback)
First, let me just mention that the photography alone is going to inspire you to make a bee-line to your produce aisle or farmer's market, fish market and then to your kitchen. That said, the stunning photos, as I remind myself, are of the very dishes this genius author has put into his cookbook. It is clear that this book is filled with a dedicated, thoughtful collection of recipes, all of which are worthy of trying and tweaking to your heart's content. I can attest to the truth of that (mmmm!).

If you want help thinking in new, healthy, Mediterranean ways for your diet, then these recipes of authentic Greek cuisine are going to send you well on your way. Do yourself a favor. Treat yourself to this book whether or not you're a vegetarian, omnivore or whatever other label you want to call yourself based on your diet preference. Life is finite so get over the live forever concept. Enjoy your food however you need to and this book will give you plenty to go on; I can say that it sent me on a journey that made me want to visit Greece, yet it embraces the life of westerners, all without being condescending to the possibility of having limited resources (or presumptuous that we don't have any limits, unlike some books I've read). This book is a new favorite and I highly recommend it.

By the way, the basic ingredients for the kitchen from the perspective of the author is in the back of the book, unlike many other books I have come across.

5.0 out of 5 stars Contemporary Greek At Its Best, September 6, 2005
This review is from: Modern Greek (Paperback)
Sophisticated flavors. Easy to follow instructions. Greek food requires a time commitment to prepare but well worth the effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny!, June 25, 2008
This review is from: Modern Greek (Paperback)
I bought this book for the retail price and have been happy with it ever since. It is truly worth every penny -if you like Greek food and if you like to cook. I fall into both of those categories. I have another book about Greek cooking as well that was produced by some ladies of a Greek Orthodox church, and of course there are some of the same recipes, but they do differ somewhat. I find that the author of this book has better recipes overall. They seem to be a bit updated and perhaps more healthy as well.

A lot of these traditional Greek recipes seemed intimidating at first. I always liked Greek cuisine, but felt that the recipes may be too labor intensive. I was also very afraid to work with fillo. I'm not anymore! I absolutely love his recipe for spanikopita! Using his recipe, I've feel that I've made better spanikopita than any I've tried elsewhere. It's a joy to make and completely worth the effort and cost of ingredients. I could go on and on about how much fun it is to make your own Greek dishes at home. They are quite often better than what I get in restaurants and Greek festivals!

I agree that the layout of the book is nice and it does have beautiful pictures. All of this combined makes a great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, June 12, 2013
This review is from: Modern Greek (Paperback)
The book is a family favourite and often referred to. The recipes are clear and easy to follow. I was replacing a copy that has been misplaced. Thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous and achievable, September 13, 2007
This review is from: Modern Greek (Paperback)
I was looking for a Greek cookbook because of the health benefits of the Mediterranean diet. I had virtually no experience of Greek food, so I wanted recipes that were accessible to both my imagination and my ordinary local shopping. I was attracted to this book by the beautiful images as others have mentioned, but also because the recipes themselves are interesting, achievable and largely healthy. And they are delicious!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book, June 4, 2014
Faith J. Adrian "Marathon Ducky" (Running Marathons, Currently in NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Modern Greek (Paperback)
I really like this book. The pictures are beautiful, the recipes easy to follow and it is an entertaining book. I learned quite a bit from this book.

Modern Greek
Modern Greek by Andy Harris (Paperback - Sept. 2002)
Used & New from: $0.09