Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer TL256 TL256 TL256  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more

Format: Hardcover|Change

on July 8, 2011
I could not wait for Whitney's cookbook to finally come out! As a southern lady, I love the contemporary twists that she put on some traditional southern dishes. I also love the mocktails!! So yummy! I recently made the oven-fried catfish, dillicious potato salad, and cast iron skillet cornbread for friends and received raving reviews. I would definitely recommend this cookbook to everyone!
on August 7, 2011
Having watched (and loved) Whitney Miller on the first season of MasterChef, I just had to buy this book. It's beautifully done with quality paper and lovely photos. So far have made her Oven Fried Catfish (I substituted Tilapia and it worked just fine) and her Buttermilk Pan Fried Chicken which was, without a doubt, the best chicken to ever come out of MY kitchen. I am certainly no chef and consider myself to be an average cook, so I really appreciate her detailed explanations on how to make these dishes come out a winner. Even if you didn't watch the TV show, there is much to be gained from this 'cookbook'. Also purchased the "MasterChef" cook book and although I haven't attempted any of the dishes yet, there are many I look forward to making.
on July 7, 2011
My husband and I was so excited when Whitney won Masterchef and couldn't wait for her cookbook. I just cooked my first meal from it- "Cauliflower Mac n Cheese". Very yummy and husband approved! The only down side to the cookbook is that the recipes lack nutritional information, would have been nice to have. I am looking forward to trying more recipes. I am so happy for Whitney!
33 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 12, 2011
As a fan of Masterchef, I cheered Whitney on from the very beginning. I was thrilled when she won the competition, and I eagerly awaited the release of her cookbook. When I pre-ordered it, I had very high expectations. I have not been disappointed. I was very pleased to discover that Whitney's recipes can easily be prepared by the average home cook using items that are readily available at most grocery stores. So far I have made Bacon-Wrapped Stuffed Brussels Sprouts and Cauliflower "Mac `n' Cheese" for my family, and both were instant hits! The Cauliflower "Mac `n' Cheese" in particular is requested by my husband on a regular basis. I have marked at least a dozen more recipes in the book that I would like to prepare, and I anticipate many of them becoming family favorites. This book is definitely worth every penny I paid for it.
on October 24, 2011
I was shocked to see someone saying the pics were of low quality. I thought Whitney was a bit to fluffy and cutesy, but still loved the show and I LOVED the book. Nice layout, classy design, gorgeous pictures and actually things I would prepare. I sat down when it arrived and read it cover to cover. I have over one thousand cookbooks and I kept it out in the frequently viewed shelf. I love MasterChef and am looking forward to the next cookbook. Thumbs up Whitney!!!!
on January 26, 2012
We were excited to try this book after watching the season in which the author won and the next season where the contestants tried to replicate several of the recipes which the hosts said were included in this book. In particular, the catfish, coleslaw and sweet potato fries were recipes we wanted to try. We first become concerned when there was no recipe for sweet potato fries. Then, the coleslaw as well as catfish recipes were different than the ones presented on the show. We tried several of the other recipes in the book and quickly figured out the pattern: dredging some form of meat in buttermilk, coating in flour or bread crumbs and then pan frying topped with a sauce that had cream as the main ingredient. We definitely expected a bit more creativity in the recipe selections. We were extremely disappointed in the desserts since the author was known for her great desserts during her run in the inaugural season. Some of the recipes were ones that she supposedly had done on the show but comparing her technique and ingredients to what was in the book revealed significant differences. Lastly the results were not good, below average flavor for all of the recipes we tried (at least five main dishes and some desserts). Overall the book was a huge disappointment and we would not recommend it to anyone.
on August 6, 2011
I watch the first season of Master Chef. I usually don't watch many show like that. What caught my eye was this young lady given the chance to be on the show. Being so young and all. She amazed everyone including myself. I told myself when she put out a cookbook I was going to buy one for myself and one for my Daughter that watched the show with me, The title of the book is well stated, Simple Recipes with Southern Charm. I can't wait to try them all.
on August 6, 2011
Great first cookbook, all the recipes are fairly simple with easy to obtain ingredients, and they taste really good. I like that the book is short and not overwhelming with hundreds of recipes. The only problem is all the recipes are very heavy so it's not something I would want to eat too many days of the week.
on December 27, 2011
I was excited to try Whitney's new cookbook! However, a good amount of her recipes call for heavy cream. Dishes that call for a lot of heavy cream are just too fattening for me. I tried the Cauliflower "Mac 'n' Cheese". That dish alone calls for olive oil, heavy cream and cheese. I'm not sure how Whitney is staying so thin cooking like this? LOL I'm happy for her though and glad she won Master Chef.
on February 22, 2015
Birght and insightful, haven't made anything yet but have enjoyed browsing through it. Have to becareful with what I cook at this time untill I get used to what I can and can't eat. Would I recommend this, yes.