Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Tap Giveaway Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 30, 2011
I just got my long-awaited copy of Modern Log Cabin Quilting this week, and I can't wait to start sewing-- the only problem is deciding which project to do first. All of the designs are beautiful and inspiring-- approachable for beginners and launching boards for more experienced quilters to take the basics and put their own spin on the patterns. The layout is clean and clear with tons of tips, and the language and instructions are easy to follow and understand. The care and thoughtfulness put into each pattern is apparent-- the author's love for fabric, sewing, quilting (and log-cabining, of course), and making a cozy home really shines through on every page. I am also a knitter/crafter and have bought tons of pattern books that look pretty in the bookstore, but I really only want to make 1 or 2 of the projects once I look more closely at them. With this book, the only reason I wouldn't make every single one is that I don't have enough free time (or enough beds!) to do all that sewing.
on March 25, 2011
I've never made a quilt before and I have to admit I'm a bit intimidated, but Modern Log Cabin Quilting makes the process seem very accessible and do-able with an intro on techniques and supplies, and a nice history of log cabin quilting as well. If you too are a little scared to tackle a full sized quilt, there's several smaller projects like pillows, aprons and totes to get you started, but the book includes projects suitable for a range of experience levels, indicated by a 1-5 spool scale (five spools being the most challenging). The photos are beautiful and inspiring and the book just has a nice quality and feel all around. I think I am going to try a pillow first but my goal is to soon make my very own modern log cabin quilt for my bed!
VINE VOICEon March 30, 2011
I was charmed by the first image... and it only got better from there. I typically don't buy many craft books without having a glance through beforehand; I took a chance and glad I did! Great contemporary quilting style!

The projects include quilts (of course), pillows, camera case, totes, small bags, pin cushions, tea towels, pot holders and more--- so many cute patterns for folks who want to try quilting for the first time. Plus, the quilts are so inspiring that seasoned sewers will be thrilled too! I am inspired to adapt several of the patterns into other projects like table runners, seat cushions, teapot cozys and the list goes on! There is a great section of techniques and suggestions. Everything seems straight forward and instructions clear.

The fabrics used are modern and fresh, byt the designs are really at the core of the book's inspiration! I am completely ready to sift through my scraps and leftovers for smaller projects and hit the fabric stores for a regular sized quilt! A keeper for crafty folks!
on May 14, 2011
i started playing around with patchwork when i was a kid--i made my mom a simple patchwork throw (but never quilted it), embellished a pair of cut offs, and generally had a good time playing with fabric. but for some reason, quilting felt intimidating. long ago i started cutting squares from thrift shop fabrics to make a quilt as i thought squares would make for a very simple design. simple, yes, but not so inspired. that box of scraps is somewhere in my mom's garage. but i find that log cabin quilting offers a great deal of variety and possibility.

susan's book delights AND inspires me. i have always enjoyed fabrics and colour/pattern arrangement, and thus the book is a joy to thumb through, but her simple instructions and clear explanations got me all excited about making. in fact, i've already started a project. i love the way log cabin is simple, which i need as a beginner, but also engaging. i like that her texts are informative but never dull. i also adore the fact that susan is a vibrant person, evident in the personal stories she weaves into her text, and her quilts reflect that. there is an enjoyable energy in her book.

it's not very often i get a book one day and the materials to dive into a craft the next.

when my dad died, and my mom and i went through his clothes, we saved a stack of his and our favourites. i knew i wanted to make a quilt as a memorial but i was nervous. after reading susan's book, im ready to make a few simple pieces with thrift shop fabrics, and then take on the box of dad's clothes with confidence.
on March 22, 2011
If you've always wanted to try your hand at quilting or, for those of you who've already done so, need a nudge to get back to it, this is the book for you.
There's a bit of history; information on how to get started and quilt-making techniques; clearly written, precise and well illustrated directions for making your own project; and plenty of extra tips such as "making it personal" or "sewing with jersey fabric".
You're bound to be inspired by the beautiful examples of both quilts and smaller, fun items like a napkin and coaster set, a camera case or various tote bags.
on July 6, 2011
I was hesitant to purchase this book since a log cabin block is easy to make and a pattern is not needed. The book continued to "talk" to me though and after it arrived I was very pleased with myself for finally purchasing it. It includes some great patterns for using your log cabin blocks as well as giving the history at the books beginning of how the Log Cabin block originated. Very interesting read. The patterns are well-thought out and the full color photos are beautiful and inspiring. I found that, being a fairly experienced quilter and sewer, I still found many projects I am very eager to begin and several photos that have inspired me to create some very beautiful quilts and projects.

All in all, experienced sewer or not, this is a great book and certainly worth having in your collection.
on April 10, 2011
I am just getting into quilting, and am beginning my library. This is my second book and I have made the Sunshine Quilt already!! Her directions are easy to follow, the patterns are so clean and modern. It's exactly the type of thing I am looking to make. I plan on making almost everything in this book. I highly recommend this for anyone wanting to try log cabin quilting!
on March 31, 2011
The Log Cabin is my absolute favorite quilt pattern so I had high expectations for this book! It did not disappoint one bit! A great mix of traditional, ultra modern and everywhere in between log cabins. I love the quilts in this book, and was so pleasantly surprised to find a large number of home decor and bag projects as well! If you love log cabins, this book is a must have! :)
on June 26, 2013
I love looking through this book, which I do often. The general quilting advice has been helpful for finishing my first quilt (a kit I purchased). I plan to make many of the items featured in this book.
on December 29, 2012
Made a great gift for my sister, who is just getting into quilting. I liked that this book had more project ideas other than just quilts/blankets. There are a few cute patterns for bags and accessories. Maybe next Christmas my sis will make me one of the patterns and gift it back to me!