Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Modern Neutrals: A Fresh Look at Neutral Quilt Patterns
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon May 17, 2013
If you have not yet caught the mod bug, Amy Ellis' Modern Neutrals will have you happily "infected" instantly. But be warned: the only inoculation known at this time is _more_fabric_.

The quilt on the cover - "Whispered Lace" - is the one that hooked me. I love its lattice structure and hefty 16 inch blocks. It's the largest project at 96 ½ inches square. Like several other projects, its palette of greys and creams is punched up with warm golds and near-yellows. The remaining projects feature mostly shots of black and sepia. At first, all of the colorations looked very similar to me, and I was a little disappointed. But as I spent more time with the book and really studied each fabric, I began to see subtle variations in hue. Then the patterns on the fabric became more distinct, perfectly matching the spirit of each project. I've always loved neutrals, but only recently started collecting modern/contemporary fabrics. Putting the two together with Ellis' striking designs makes for one really, really lovely book.

The first project - "Pleated Patchwork" - is extraordinary. As its name implies, each block is pleated. You start with a 10 ½ by 18 inch rectangle and pleat it down to a 10 ½ inch square block. So be prepared to use quite a bit of extra fabric on this one. The author also notes that the pleating makes for a heavier quilt than we are accustomed to. It is a reasonable size and small-arm-friendly at 60.5 by 70.5 inches. Also noteworthy is "Placid Curves" with its Bargello-like blocks. It's got a super simple strippy construction and is 84 ½ by 96 ½ inches. Its hues of creams, taupes, and soft gold make me think of butterscotch sundaes and bread pudding. The smallest project is "Triangle Fury" at 45 by 54 inches. This one uses paper foundations since it is loaded with bias edges. It's got a sophisticated zig-zag effect and is striking in black and white.

Beginners will find several skill-level-appropriate projects to choose from. More advance quilters will be challenged by color-play and figuring out how to quilt these unusual projects. Each project has a small inset close-up so you can see the fabrics better, and in some cases, you can see the actual quilting. Most of the projects have an Eastern feel to them (to me, anyway). All are beautiful.
on December 27, 2013
I have been wanting to make some quilts out of solid colored fabric with the colors that are shown on the cover, but I thought the "quilt police" would get me for being so neutral! Everyone of these quilts is beautiful... and neutral!
on June 20, 2013
Great book Amy! Love the use of neutrals and the beautiful patterns that you've created with them! The cover quilt is my very favorite but I think that they are all stunning in their own way.
on June 12, 2014
The cover quilt is the image that drove me to purchase this book, and I was pleasantly rewarded by the other beautiful patterns inside. Using neutrals is not always easy, and the author showcases a wide variety of options and techniques within her patterns. The photos and instructions are clear, perfect for beginners on through to experts. The patterns are not limited to neutral fabrics only, and can be adapted to your favorite bright and bold colors and prints effectively. I've particularly enjoyed the many patterns inside that appeal to me, as I've found myself purchasing entire quilting books only for the use of 2 or 3 patterns in the past, and that is not the case with Modern Neutrals.
I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys symmetry and balance in their quilts, as well as those looking to explore a more demure side of the modern quilt.
on November 13, 2013
After dipping my toes into the modern quilting trend I was searching for something a little different and was so pleased to find this book. Amy Ellis takes the clean, uncluttered lines of the modern quilt to the next level with a neutral palette and a focus on line and texture. This book contains a tempting selection of neutral quilts that range in detail from easy to challenging. The quilts I am working on are presented in a manner that is easy to follow and produces a nice result. Overall, the book is well-written, the photos are beautiful and descriptive, and I am very happy with my purchase.
on October 2, 2013
I am a traditional quilter and I find this book very helpful when I need to sew a modern quilt.The book is very helpful and has wonderful patterns in it.
on September 3, 2013
I wanted something to help me understand and use more neutral colors and I love Modern. This is great and has 3 quilts I will probably make.
on July 11, 2013
If you don't know this author, you should! Precise and complete book with great designs. Enough said!! Put this book in your cart now!!
on August 25, 2013
The quilting/sewing shop I frequent had a display of this book along with multiple quilts that used only black and white fabric and they all were so beautiful, I immediately ordered the book.
on June 8, 2013
This is a wonderful book! Great modern patterns and the instructions are very clear and easy to understand and follow.