Modern Patchwork: 12 Quilts to Take You Beyond the Basics
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$15.51+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on May 25, 2012
Wow - that's the word I used most when I first opened this book and had a look through - the quilts are colourful and amazing and they all have that wow factor.

Elizabeth presents 12 modern quilts for the intermediate quilter but even if you're a beginner quilter there are well written instructions and a whole section on construction basics to help you along the way.

There are a few things I love most about this book ...

One is how Elizabeth gives colour options for each quilt which is helpful to those who want to use fabrics from their stash rather than purchase new fabrics for a quilt.

Another is that Elizabeth uses a variety of different techniques to challenge the maker while introducing new skills.

The photos are clear and detailed as are the quilt instructions. Elizabeth's introduction, notes on fabric selection, and thoughts on the backing of each quilt give insights into her design process which make for interesting reading.

While I intend to make every quilt in this book, Glam Garlands and Looptastic are on my immediate to do list !
on July 16, 2012
This is a visually interesting book and the quilts in it truly deserve the title "modern quilts". Much of what claims to be modern these days is really traditional patchwork in contemporary fabrics. Elizabeth Hartman's quilts however are innovative, modern and fun!

Not all of the quilts in this book are to my taste and, in fact, some of them obey the "less is more" rule. Meaning that I think the back of the quilt is more stylish and appealing than the front. An example of this is the Fire Drill quilt on page 52 and the back on page 59.

I found the instructions well-written and clear and the techniques fun. I particularly liked the repeated sew and slice technique she uses in her Metropolis quilt on page 6.

If you're looking for a well-written set of patterns for quilts that truly are modern then I'd recommend you grab yourself a copy of Modern Patchwork.
on June 5, 2012
I'm a big fan of Elizabeth's first book Practical Guide to Patchwork and this one doesn't disappoint, with all the things I liked about the first, such as alternate versions of the quilts in different fabrics, but with new techniques and ideas and with an emphasis on more advanced projects. The book reflects her evolving style nicely. I'm particularly taken with the use of appliqued circles and curves, a great effect with less anxiety! The quilts are bold and modern, with lots of negative space but still have the friendly, approachable feel you'd expect if you enjoyed her first book. The instructions are comprehensive, so even though the quilts are generally large, the process is straightforward.
on May 30, 2012
I was so delighted to receive this book. It truly is an inspiration. I have Elizabeth's earlier book, and was looking for more of her original designs. This new book is a collection of truly stunning, memorable quilts, along with all the necessary technical "how-to" details. These are not simply traditional quilt patterns with a twist, these are truly unique, modern designs. And, I love that each quilt design includes 2 alternatives/colorways (complete with photo examples) using different types of fabric to different effect. This important bit for each quilt is where the author is really adding depth to the teaching experience -- helping quilters develop a more sophisticated eye for color/design so they may expand beyond the basics if they wish. I suspect this would be an excellent book for quilters of all levels. Beginners will find the technical support they need here, and advanced quilters looking to expand into modern quilt design will enjoy using these patterns and will find much inspiration here. Can't wait for the next book!
on June 27, 2012
Modern Patchwork truly lives up to its title - it's packed with great projects from one of the modern quilting blogosphere's superstars. There are a few projects in this book that are right up my alley, and I'll be sure to be making some of them.
One of the highlights for me is that every quilt featured includes instructions for a pieced back. I love me a good pieced quilt back, but it's often hard to know where to start. Elizabeth has taken elements from the quilt fronts to make each back a reflection of the front and a work of art in itself. For any quilter who is loves quilt backs and needs more inspiration or know-how, this book is worth its price for this factor alone.
I also really like that each quilt features two alternate block ideas, which takes the guesswork out of changing each quilt design if you want to try a different look.
As a quilter who works by colour, I really love Elizabeth's use of colours and print.
Overall, an excellent addition to any modern quilter's library.
on May 31, 2012
This book is an excellent sequel to Ms. Hartman's first book, The Practical Guide to Patchwork. It has many of the same elements for layout and projects- some easier, simple piecing progressing to more challenging work and different skill sets. Luckily for us, she also kept the alternate fabric suggestions at the end of each project along with example photos. This little touch really makes the difference for me; I love to see what else can be done, because often the first time I see a pattern I don't like it, but love it in different fabrics. These alternates are a stroke of genius. The other genius bit is instructions for completing the back, in case you don't want just a whole piece plain-jane backing. Plenty of the backs would make a great quilt on their own! I found at least 5 projects in here I would love to do immediately, and several more I put on my longer term to-do list.
on July 15, 2012
I love the quilts in this book, almost every last one of them. The appear complicated but are actually easy the way Elizabeth Hartman breaks them down. She shows three colorways for each quilt, a real help to develop my own creativity. The look of modern quilting is advancing quickly in the quilt world, and I love learning it from this book. If you want to bring traditional quilting into the contemporary lifestyle, this is definitely your book.
on September 21, 2012
This little book changed the way I think about some things in quilting. I do a mixture of piecework (usually baby quilts)and art quilting, and applique only when there is no other way. I never thought much about the backs except to figure out if I had enough fabric that would not clash. After reading this book, I look at blocks as ways to make statements, at backs as a separate quilt surface, and at color variation as a way to work on values and luminosity. My only complaint is that the Kindle format has the table of contents in the back (Note to editors: that's where the INDEX goes, guys!)and the headers ("Selecting Fabric") need to be in a bigger, different font so it's obvious what they are. This book teaches you WAY MORE than how to make those 12 quilts! I may never make any of the twelve, but my quilts have already changed for the better. Thanks, Elizabeth!
on May 4, 2013
I have been in beginning quilting for about a year, give or take, but have been a seamstress all my life~ I just happened to have 3 sons so the most I could sew for them was PJ' or costumes.

I became a knitter 11 yrs ago and decided that I would be self taught. I sought out the best teaching books that knitting had to offer ( E Zimmerman, A Staremore J Fee) so I could eventually get to a point of doing all the designing on my own for any size garment ,( including Fair Isle, and Aran sweaters.)
It took me 5 yrs of trial and error( and lots of mistakes w/ fiber) until I got to the point where I wanted to be. This was a commitment on my part, it took LOTS of reading and learning how to calculate stitch patterns, colorwork and the whole ball of wax~ But I did it.

I decided to to do the same w/ quilting.. and purchased a new sewing machine that would be able to do what I wanted it to do even tho I had a lovely machine w. computer capabilities already, I needed one that I felt could really handle this new obsession and since I wanted to learn to do most of the quilting ( as well as the piece work) I bought a really nice machine

I sought out teachers via books and blogs that I felt would be actually teaching me things I needed to know so that someday I would also be able to put my ideas into designs I loved,,,,,and , more difficult( to me) how to actually machine quilt my finished pieces.

I chose several authors that I felt reflected my taste, and more importantly TAUGHT me things instead of spoon feeding me patterns. At first I worked on Eleanor Burns quilts b/c they produced results,,,then I worked on books by Harriet Hardgrave. and then I found books ( and quilts) by Denyse Schmidt and Elizabeth Hartman due to the more modern features of quilts themselves
I have a love for the old, yet a hunger for learning new and better ways,and I wanted to be well rounded in quilting,

I was inspired by all these quilters who contributed to the more traditional approach as well as the modern approach , but never sacrificed ORDER in any of the quilts,, b/c that was very important to me. It is as important as it is in a Fair Isle vest,,its all about numbers and some serious sketching ( for me)
I was intrigued by this new modern quilt look,,,,,,but,,,realized that some were not as " orderly" as I would like to have worked on.
I think when I started reading blogs I got an idea at times that the more loud and disorderly quilt would be, some would call that" Modern",,while others maintained a high level of order but the ideas were very fresh and almost graphic in design. So which was it?? What defined " Modern Quilting'??

I found ELizabeth's books and her blog, and THAT is what I was searching for!

I love this book and I do intend to make most of the quilts in this one way or another in varying sizes as I have lots of family that would appreciate presents such as these.
Elizabeth, while being very modern in design and taste,,maintains the high goal of orderliness and quality that love ( after all, we love to do what pleases us when we work w/ fiber arts,yes?)

She has a way of really inspiring me that , frankly, I have not seen very much of in this new movement
Denyse Schmidt is the only other one that I can think of that balances the kind of order I need in sewing and the colors and styles of today.
While I will probably stick w/ very traditional quilt colors in my home , I can still use this know how as eye candy and learning tools to make some drop dead gorgeous quilts that will stretch me outside my comfort zone and that is where real learning takes place,,,,,,being stretched as a fiber artist.
I have become SO smitten w/ quilting that I plan to fly to some of the shows to take classes and meet others that love this as much as I do . I am in a local , very active guild now, so that helps a lot,
I have SO much to learn!!!!
I have no better words than what other reviewers have already said about this ,Elizabeth's second book ( I have the first also),,and I would be echoing what other reviewers have said.

I find great satisfaction in her combination of order and style, she brings much refreshment to quilters that are trying to expand their horizons.

I love her sense of color,,,,it is nothing short of amazing,,,,so, once again ,,,,for me, a newer quilter,,,,I am totally in LOVE with what she brings to the table,,,,she has an incredible way of combining both worlds to make sense to someone like me
Love the new book,,,and cant wait to get out there and go fabric shopping!
on July 6, 2012
Once you have read The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker, 12 Quilt Projects Elizabeth Hartman's first book, you will have all the basics you need to begin quilting and to progress to an intermediate level. Once you feel you are at an intermediate level, than I would strongly encourage you to check out Modern Patchwork: 12 Quilts to Take You Beyond the Basics. The title could not be more accurate for this book, it will take you beyond the basics.

One of the most important things about Elizabeth's books (and the key thing that sets her apart from others) is that with each pattern she includes a design for the quilt backing. If you have spent anytime reading beginner quilting books you will see that most often the patterns only include directions from the quilt top, leaving you with no clue what to do on the back. Even now, as an intermediate quilter, I am sometimes stumped on what to do on the backs of my quilts. Also with each pattern, she includes alternate ideas for fabric options, which can really help you step out and make the quilt your own.

The 12 Projects in this book all use different techniques so you will learn a ton! I love this book and can't wait to make all of the projects. You can read my full review with photos of project at my blog Pile O' Fabric -[...]