Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 31, 2011
I had a hard time characterizing this wonderful book. It explains the fundamentals, but it's not an introductory book like Learning Perl. It covers almost every feature of the Perl 5 language, but it's not a reference book like Programming Perl. It explains common idioms, but it's not a guide to Perl 5 fluency like Effective Perl Programming. It contains many practical suggestions, but it's not a book of tips like Perl Hacks.

I can only describe it as a "textbook". If I had to pick a single book to teach Perl 5, this is the one I'd choose. As I read it, I was reminded of the first time I read K&R (C Programming Language) and how much learning was packed into it. (It's the only college programming text I still have). In a slim 250 pages, Modern Perl obsoletes most of my shelf of Perl 5 books. It's not intended for a complete novice to programming (any more than K&R was), but in the hands of a competent programmer or a diligent student it will teach everything that one needs to know to write Perl 5 well.

What I especially like about Modern Perl is that it puts particular emphasis on understanding fundamental Perl 5 concepts like "context" and "scope". From these and other foundations, one can understand why certain programming idioms have emerged and one can avoid surprises in the odder corners of the language. If you want a book to spoon feed cut-and-paste code to you, this is not the book for you. If you want a book that will teach you to write your own code confidently, this is an excellent resource.

If you already know some programming and want to learn Perl 5, then Modern Perl is the book you should get. If you already know Perl 5, but don't think you know it well, or if you haven't kept up in developments in Perl 5 since the late 1990's, then Modern Perl will get you up to speed.
on November 30, 2010
I really like this book for many reasons:

First it is about Perl and how to make most out of Perl. Perl 5 has been blessed with some great additions in CPAN, which are not covered in most other Perl books (at least not in those I read so far). This book explains those additions and some concepts behind them. It is interesting and informative.

Second it was written in the true Perl spirit which is in the open, i.e., you could go to the books website and get the chapters still in draft. So there is feedback and improvement already in this first edition. With other books you have to wait for the second edition to have those things.

Third it shows that Perl 5 is not an old-fashioned language that cannot compete with the new hip languages, but Perl 5 still has a future. You just have to write the right kind of Perl code and the book explains how to do this.

In summary, if you like Perl 5, I'd say you will like this book.
on December 9, 2011
This is not a beginners book. It is a good reference for navigating Perldoc and CPAN. It also gives good tips on programming elegantly in Perl.
I don't like the fonts chosen for the examples. Reserved words such as while, for, and keys are not in bold type which makes them difficult to read.
My copy, published in October 2010 covers changes up to Version 5.12
on November 12, 2010
I (= Shlomi Fish) have read a draft of this book from cover to cover as I contributed to its proofreading process. The book is well-written, accurate and comprehensive, and I can wholeheartedly recommend it to any beginning and intermediate Perl programmer. The only downside as far as I was concerned was that it didn't teach me too many new things, but at least I did not detect any obvious inaccuracies there.

If you want to learn what modern Perl is all about, be sure to grab a copy of this book.
on November 30, 2010
This book is Perl's new bible. It is by far the clearest Perl overview, explaining the logic behind the language's features.

Reading this book made me forget it was a programming book -- it is one of the best technical volumes I've ever read, bar none. The writing is to the point, and pulls everything together in a single concise volume. This book is a classic.

My only "criticism" is that it obsoletes a lot of well-worn Perl books on my bookshelf, but then, Perl keeps advancing so new books are needed.
on October 18, 2014
I teach Perl at a community college and plan to start using this book for the upcoming term. It teaches modern techniques; but is still adequate for a beginner. It also covers several more advanced topics (like MOOSE), so will make a valuable addition to a student's library. Best of all, the price is right (especially for college students who are used to paying over $100 for a book).
on December 21, 2015
An excellent book that covers exactly what the title says. Personally, I find perl to be somewhat eccentric, and can never fully understand the language regardless of the book i'm reading, but this has been the best book so far at giving real world examples and explanations in plain english. If I had a need to learn perl i would start with this book and move on from there, but its more of a personal desire to understand it than necessity. Regardless, I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who is seriously trying to learn perl, especially because it is one of few books that focus on (again, the title) Modern Perl.
on April 25, 2014
If you can already program, this book is an incredible way to pick up modern perl. It's something you might not be aware of when you first approach the language, but there's a ton of material out there that teaches "the old (less than ideal) way." This book will save you from that.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 9, 2011
Perl is not a new language there are a lot of books and tutorials which are obsolete. As the book title suggests, it is written to cover the modern era of perl. A must have for everyone interested in perl and wants an up to date introduction and more...
on January 25, 2012
This book is fantastic: as a guide to modern Perl programming, there is nothing better. It is comprehensive, but is written in a clear, warm and concise style that is a pleasure to read.