4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely fresh patterns
Published on January 10, 2012 by CJC

3.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration, but no "know-how"
Published on January 5, 2012 by Natalie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration, but no "know-how", January 5, 2012
This review is from: Modern Quilting Designs: 90+ Free-Motion Inspirations- Add Texture & Style to Your Next Quilt (Paperback)
I'm a bit disappointed by this book. I should have read the cover more closely. It says "90 Free-Motion Inspirations" and that is exactly what it is: inspirational. The introduction section is not an introduction to the book and what it covers, but rather an introduction to the author's background and experience working with her mother in their family quilt shop. It is one page long. The second chapter is a bit long, but mainly because it includes mostly photos of where the author gets inspiration for her quilting designs. After that, the remaining pages are the designs. There's no explanation or tips on making each of the designs. This book is not for beginners, but for people who are experienced with free motion quilting and looking for some new ideas. Incidentally, although the book is entitled modern quilting designs, some of the designs are rather traditional - like feathers. I'm considering sending the book back. It is not what I expected.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely fresh patterns, January 10, 2012
CJC (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
I'm so thrilled for this book's release because there's really nothing like it right now on book shelves. It seems like there are a few books dedicated to continuous line pictorial designs (i.e. dolphins, cowboy boots) and some that show geometric patterns for blocks or borders, but not much in the abstract, all-over, continuous line category. Modern Quilting Designs is filling that gap!

The book is pretty much just sharpie-on-paper drawings of quilting designs. There is not much text, so you can simply flip through the book and take in the designs. I learn visually, so I like that. Most of the quilting ideas seemed like things I could use in my quilts, although there was a section of flowery block-based designs that didn't seem like designs I would use. I was also surprised to see some designs that were not continuous-line. These don't make up the bulk of the book, though.

The best part of this library of designs, and what this author seems to excel in, are all the "mash ups" she creates: inventive, organic combinations of basic patterns. Think feathers plus spirals, or wavy lines plus pebbles plus scallops, or flamboyant vines full of variety. This is good for me because I tend to get stuck in one mindset - quilting something completely in spirals, or making all my leaves on a vine exactly the same, for instance.

Now, one downside to the book is that there is no explanation of how to go about stitching the designs. Feather first and then the wavy lines around it? Wavy lines first then fit the feather inside? For this reason, I'd say the book will be best for someone who has started to improvise with their quilting already. You'll need to come up with your own approach to creating the more complex designs you see.

So far I've tried stitching the captivating design featured on the cover. It was fun and the results were great! I'm happy to have this book by my side for future projects. (Review originally published on my blog, A Few Scraps)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great design library book., January 30, 2012
No matter if you are a longarm quilter or if you quilt on a domestic sewing machine this new book which features over 90 quilting designs would be a welcome addition to your library. I would call this book a "design library" book. It does not give advice on how to do longarm quilting or domestic machine quilting, but rather it provides a wealth of line drawn designs.

The book begins with a section entitled Design Inspiration. In this section Bethany shows us how she takes a photograph - it might be a fern, it could be some jewelry - and uses it as inspiration for quilting designs. Personally, I have been collecting photos for this purpose but have never moved to the next step - this section is giving me the needed nudge to pull out some pictures and see what I can come up with.

The remainder of the book is what I would call a design library. Each of the subsequent sections: The Essentials Freehand Background Fillers), Doodle Away (Continuous-Line Designs), Showstoppers (Unusual, Fancy Continuous-Line Designs), Nature's Patterns (Feathers, Ferns, Vines and Leaves), and Dynamic Focal Points (Medallions and Borders) present a wealth of different ideas. It is refreshing to see how Bethany has taken some designs we may have seen in the past and added her own look to them. She also gives us many new designs that we can use and adapt in our own work. The final section, Mix It Up (Design Combinations), was a great surprise and a welcome one. Here she shows how she might combine some of the designs presented in this book in a single quilt. By that I mean - a central design for the body of the quilt, a different design for the small narrow inner border, and finally a design for the other border. I might not have thought of some of the combinations she presents - but guess what - they work!

This is a great book to have in your library and to pull off the shelf when you have "hit the wall" and don't know what to do. I think it can help spark your own creative imagination as you seek to develop and let your own quilting style grow and evolve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of inspiration in this book, February 16, 2012
If you are looking for inspiration for machine quilting, this might be the book for you. Lots of detailed designs are included. My only complaint....the drawings look like they were drawn with a big Sharpie and could use some notes on directions to go when actually machine quilting them.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, January 25, 2013
There are a few patterns in this book I can trace onto quilting paper and use, but many I won't use. It's about a 50 / 50 for me. Several patterns are more on the abstract side, which I don't feel like I need a pattern for. Several good patterns though, so it wasn't a total waste.

1.0 out of 5 stars Could be so much better!, November 20, 2012
This book has very poorly hand-drawn images. It looks almost like book is photocopied. The images are not unique or special.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good ideas, February 16, 2013
Tom Temple (Glendive, MT USA) - See all my reviews
I haven't used this book much, but it does give a quilter ideas. The format isn't very inspiring mostly just black and white designs with few examples on quilts

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmmmmmmmm...., November 19, 2012
I didn't see this as anything more than some suggestions on thinking outside the box. It was more or less an invitation to doodle with thread. Not exactly a fan of this methodology.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational!, February 14, 2012
Martha Lorshbaugh (Pavilion, New York) - See all my reviews
Lots of great ideas in this book for anyone who is looking to make the next step with your machine quilting! At the end are some GREAT plans for combining the designs in a quilt!!!
The only criticism I have is that some of the more complicated designs would benefit from being broken down into steps, or perhaps a few lines of text telling how to create the design.

1.0 out of 5 stars Messy designs, July 24, 2012
Bebe (El Dorado, AR, United States) - See all my reviews
These designs are nothing but messy doodlings. I know they would look even messier if I tried to sew them with my long arm machine! I do not care for this type of heavy quilting that completely covers the quilt.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›