5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Expected

Published on July 10, 2011 by konacoffee

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Expected, May 15, 2011
E. Hicks (Jervis Bay, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Modern Vintage Style (Hardcover)
Having loved her previous books 'Style on a Budget' and 'Flea Market Style', I wondered whether Emily Chalmers's latest book would be up to their excellent standard. I was not disappointed. The best thing for me was that it doesn't just contain the same old images that we've seen in various books and magazine articles. It is fresh and up to date. All the spaces are carefully edited and beautifully photographed. There are dozens of ideas to apply to one's own home. Absolutely loved it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the furniture in this book!, June 29, 2011
This review is from: Modern Vintage Style (Hardcover)
Lots of great examples of Swedish and Danish furniture. Wanted this book so much and due to being back ordered had to buy at Anthropologie. Highly recommend this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bizzare Mishmash, July 10, 2011
This review is from: Modern Vintage Style (Hardcover)
The first thing I disliked was that it appeared by the cover to be a book on decorating with 50s/midcentury American style pieces. Yes, there were a few lamps from the period, butterfly chairs, some wonderful Eames style tables, etc. But most of the book was other vintage pieces thrown together. To me, maybe it's just my taste, just any old piece of junk can't be used as "creative." Here you'll find lots of what we call Shabby Chic, which is not my cup of tea. Headboards and cabinets that look as if they've been in a field since WWII just doesn't do it. Specifically, what you'll find here are: bedrooms so old fashioned looking that they reminded me of the dead mother's room in Psycho. A room with at least six different mismatched wallpapers (on the same wall!) with a mattress on wheels serving as a bed, covered with about five hideous quilts and crocheted blankets, again, none remotely matching. Throw pillow on the bed that doesn't match any of the hundreds of colors already here, nail a picture of a poodle up, and that's one room for you to emulate. Now, mixing patterns can be great if done right. But some of the rooms looked like the apartment bedroom of a college grad on her first job. She couldn't afford half a dozen blankets so she went to Goodwill and bought them cheap. The cover shows a wonderful minimalist decor, clean white walls, etc. Inside however, we find that white walls are the enemy, and it is suggested that we hang a mix of colored bead necklaces across the entire length of the wall! But nothing beat the bedroom with dark blue or black walls, red/white striped curtains, mandatory ugly quilt, and what appear to be the tops of suitcases with handles tacked to the wall for decoration! I can't imagine someone wanting a black room with Big Top curtains. Kitchens? One here has that ancient rotting look wood that some find appealing, and the bathroom right off the kitchen has a curtain for a door. I'd love to be at a dinner party and have to use the bathroom with only a curtain dangling between me and everyone there. Bathrooms aren't too hideous, but no toilets are shown. I suspect, with all the abandoned farmhouse furniture, the toilet would actually be a latrine dug into the ground, with a moth-eaten quilt there for color. Anyway, if you want a book strictly on 50s or 60s vintage looks, keep shopping. The few examples here aren't worth the other 97% that is old lady quilts, odd ideas (using a stack of books as a table with rotten wood box containing hand statue), and WTH moments including a "clever" display of someone's collection of broken alarm clocks. Dump 'em in what appears to be a searchlight and put that sucker in the entry. Call me traditional but...

3.0 out of 5 stars More vintage than modern, August 3, 2011
This review is from: Modern Vintage Style (Hardcover)
I was pretty excited about this book, but it wasn't what I was expecting. I love the style of Anthropologie and I figured this book would be very similar in its style. However, I found it to be more vintage and Shabby Chic than modern vintage. Modern vintage implies that it's an updated style with some vintage pieces. I think of Urban Outfitters or Anthropologie, not flea market style, which is what this is more geared towards. There were some cute pieces in here, but the pictures were so cluttered that it just didn't look updated or clean.

2.0 out of 5 stars Uninspired, July 25, 2011
12Junes (Severna Park, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Modern Vintage Style (Hardcover)
I was expecting to be inspired and I wasn't. When I buy a book like this, I don't care about the text - I just want to see the pictures and lots of them. For the price I paid for this book, there was little value in it.

2.0 out of 5 stars More shabby "chic" than cool, May 31, 2013
This review is from: Modern Vintage Style (Hardcover)
My bad -- I assumed "vintage" meant what it means to me when it can mean nearly anything. There was exactly one cool retro 50s type vintage place. The rest I would expect in a shabby chic book -- not my interest. Bummer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much Better Than 'Flea Market Style', September 8, 2012
This review is from: Modern Vintage Style (Hardcover)
What a difference from the author's previous book, Flea Market Style, which I had nothing positive to say about (which is rare). I really enjoyed reading Modern Vintage Style. I think perhaps the layout of this book (dividing into two parts - Inspiration and Style) has a great deal to do with that. Instead of just showing images with little to no details as the previous book had done, this book provides details on the owner and their inspiration or what they were trying to achieve. Each section begins with an overview (i.e. Part I is furniture, lighting, textiles, decorating, collections & display vs Part II which is cook & eat, live, sleep, bathe) and is then followed by examples with detailed information that relates back to the text. This is a book that I can see myself returning to in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, July 26, 2012
This review is from: Modern Vintage Style (Hardcover)
Great book it shows a great mix between modern and vintage style. So many great ideas that make me want to change some rooms of my own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, January 7, 2012
Catalina (St. Louis, MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Modern Vintage Style (Hardcover)
Bought this book as a gift for Christmas. Ended up really liking it for myself too! Great ideas, perfect for that eclectic, garage sale, bargain hunter style.

5.0 out of 5 stars As Lovely As You'd Expect A Book By Emily Chalmers To Be, May 17, 2011
This review is from: Modern Vintage Style (Hardcover)
Emily Chalmers overflows with creative ideas, enthusiasm for interiors and is constantly thinking outside of the box, challenging herself in new directions and taking her readers along for the ride. I love her interiors books, she has so expertly curated and styled each one and Modern Vintage Style is no different - it's an exceptional piece of work.

Note: Even if Modern Vintage Style isn't your aesthetic the book provides so many gorgeous photos that she has styled, photographed by brilliant Debi Treloar, that you can study for ideas and inspiration to apply in any home.

I had the honor of meeting Emily in person and also have corresponded with her via email for a few years now and she is absolutely lovely in every way. Oftentimes you'll meet an author who is absolutely nothing as you'd expect them to be but Emily lives and breathes her work, right down to her personal style and warm, authentic personality. I love this about her shop in London too, Caravan, it has the same "Emily-ness" that you find in her book - that golden thread that runs through all of her work and life that you just spot and think, "That is Emily's work." Her home is equally stunning and very "Emily" and has appeared in so many publications, including her own books, and it inspires me every time I see it.

As an author, shop keeper and stylist, Emily sets such a lovely example for the modern woman -- that they can do what they love, independently and with the help of a publisher, grow their careers based on talent and skill, widen their circle to include other talented people (not just keeping it all to themselves) and just being kind and generous (as she is) and find success as a result.

I really love Modern Vintage Style, but then again, I love everything Emily does and have for years and years - she constantly inspires me and I eagerly await each new book. Cheers to Emily for doing such brilliant, quirky, clever and original work and for keeping it real in the process. Everything she shows in Modern Vintage Style is approachable, affordable and inspiring!

Five stars, bravo to you, Emily (and Debi too)!

xo,
Holly

Modern Vintage Style
Modern Vintage Style by Emily Chalmers (Hardcover - April 1, 2011)
$29.95 $20.96