Modern Warfare
Price:$1.99

on September 23, 2010
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
I'm not going to spend much time talking about how much I like Community. The first season, like most, has some ups and downs but it quickly proved itself to be a bitingly funny comedy that could easily hang with the other Thursday night big boys on NBC.

That being said, this DVD set has ruined me for all other television shows. There are outtakes, alternative scenes, producer's cuts, mini episodes, a highlight reel, two featurettes, and 25 commentaries with the cast/crew (that's one for each episode). Clearly a lot of love has gone into this show AND the DVD content. Of course, how can I look at other shows the same way again? Most can't even match up to half of what this set offers.

Right now, Amazon is selling this for 17.99, and you can get 5 dollars off if you put in the code SONYFIVE. Even if you were paying retail price for this, you'd be getting a MAJOR steal. Buy this to not only support Community and its creators, but to support how truly great DVD can be with the right amount of effort involved.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 5, 2010
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
This show is UNBELIEVABLY FUNNY. So you can compare your taste to mine, here are the other shows I watch regularly: How I Met Your Mother, 30 Rock, The Office, Parks & Rec, House, Lost, The Mentalist, and 24. With Community, I was hooked from the first episode.

What makes this show great? Rapid-fire wit (emphasis on rapid-fire ... and equal emphasis on wit!), great writing, an innately funny premise that leaves itself open to endless hilarious storylines (the show peeks into the lives of an eclectic, neurotic, lovable, unlikely group of friends at a community college), perfect comedic timing, brilliant characters the likes of which you haven't seen on TV in a long time, and an ensemble cast with real, natural chemistry (their performances are often applause-worthy). Last but not least, the comedy on this show is INTELLIGENT. It will appeal to you if you're pop-culturally literate and enjoy smart humor.

Community never fails to deliver. The LEAST funny episodes of this show are still far funnier than most of the standard fare out there. And the MOST funny episodes of this show will challenge your continence. Yes, it's really that good.
on March 19, 2010
Format: DVD
I feel a little like I'm cheating, writing a review 19/25 episodes through the season. However, I can strongly recommend Season 1 of Community to anyone who enjoys comedy. The show utilizes a talented cast - not just Joel McHale and Alison Brie, but everyone - for a fun mix of subtle and over-the-top humor. Although it took an episode or two to get up and running, once the writers had a chance to introduce the characters Community's been consistently funny ever since. I laughed more at "Introduction to Statistics" and the past several post-Olympics episodes than anything since The Norm Show.

Community doesn't merely get the easy jokes right, either; the writers and actors do an impressive job with some fairly subversive jokes about race, sex, etc. On top of all that, Community manages to be an upbeat show, which is a pleasant change of pace from stuff like It's Always Sunny... (which I also enjoy). I wouldn't go so far as to say it "makes you think," but Season 1 has been a joy to laugh along with!
on April 21, 2011
Format: DVD
With Scrubs being finished and The Office in its 7th season, I was needing something new. I'm a sitcom fan. Seinfeld, Friends, Simpsons, IT Crowd, The office, Scrubs, and now the Community all sit on my shelf. I don't think its because the Community being newer is why I like it the best. I think its because it takes a style from everything that has worked before it and incorporated into something a little diverse.

The overall synopsis has been tried a thousand times... An unlikely and diverse group is forced together and nothing is as it seems. But they do so much more than try to revitalize a century old idea.

The large cast is at the top of their game. They work well together and no one really steals the show (which I think is a very good thing). While Jeff is billed as the 'leader' he very heavily relies on EVERYONE and their story. At any time someone could be left out or someone, anyone could be focused on and it would work for a time.

The story remembers itself. Each episode isn't a new 20 minutes that start from scratch. If someone broke their leg last week they are in a cast or limping the following week. Its not like the Simpsons where they draw in a door slot when its convenient or they themselves joke about how the plots rarely remember or explain major previous events. Every episode adds to the community cannon that will be drawn upon in the future.

The characters are aware of the outside world. They can joke about politics, companies, religions, hollywood, etc. The show is set in a real world which adds a layer of depth and comedy that some shows will avoid. While Scrubs was a great show, it knew very little of what happened outside the hospital. They brought in guest stars.. but as doctors or patients, rarely, if ever as themselves.

Soap Opera writing. Seinfeld and Scrubs are my favorite examples of soap opera sit coms. Everyone's story is important and will eventually intersect. The intersection usually creates a pretty big laugh. With Seinfeld, they mastered bringing everyone together in very unique and deep ways. They went outside the box to get events like a golf ball, a beached whale, and a white lie about being a marine biologist together for side splitting laughter. Scrubs took this mechanic and used it as a way to tell a story and make a meaningful point. Every episode had a lesson and it was often told by comparing the different cast members situation. They could make you laugh and cry in the same episode. The Community does both and in its first season, they do it like a pro. They also go in other directions that many would think would turn the show upside down. The gangster chicken strip episode, the paint ball war zone, and the zombie episode all find ways to do the outrageous without ever leaving context.

The DVD contains features throughout. One episode has an extended version that can be seen or you can choose to watch the original. Every single episode has commentary. There are deleted scenes, bloopers, and a mix of featurettes. Even the DVD casing is setup like a year book and each of the characters has left writing and well wishes over the other characters pictures and episode titles. I was not expecting much from a first season DVD, but it actually ended up delivering more extras then... well, just about everything out there.

We all have our own personal preferences, so its hard to really "RATE" a TV show. But in this case, its quite easy for me to do. This show gets an A+ in every possible category. They put so much work into the set, the characters, the writing, the plot, the atmosphere, even the DVD cover, that I have to let them graduate with honors.

As with most shows, there is concern about how 8 different college students will still be together 4 years from now. But the writers have proven clever enough, that I'm content to rest my fears and enjoy each episode they deliver.
on April 29, 2010
Format: DVD
In my opinion, Community is amazing! The writing is witty, the characters are great, and it is just genuinely enjoyable to watch. It is great to see Chevy Chase again, and he is hysterical! Abbed may be one of the greatest television characters ever created. If you like the office or 30 rock, you'll probably love this show. If you don't, you still may love this show. Give it a shot!

I, along with many other people I know, were thrilled with this show from the beginning. Some others that I know needed a little bit of time to get acquainted with the characters before they really got into it. So I urge you, if you're a little skeptical after the pilot give it a chance for another episode or two.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 17, 2012
Format: DVD
If a better TV series has been created, I politely demand you to tell me what it is.

I have never been so riveted by a TV series. I have never found a TV series so hilarious. And I have never found a TV series so moving.

I suspect that in order for Community to have a similar type of effect on you, you must meet at least two criteria: (1) be between 20 and 35 years old, and (2) give your full attention to every nano-second of the show.

Re: (2): There is so much substance packed into every nano-second of the show that it demands your full attention to notice the subtleties and to understand exactly what the show's writers are trying to get at. You'll probably need/want to watch some episodes several times.

Re: (1): The first time I saw the show was at my parents' house, and while I was literally - not figuratively - screaming like an injured lemur with laughter, my Boomer parents barely managed a polite smile. The generational divide was never so apparent.

The show speaks directly to my generation, and not just to amuse us, but to tell us things we urgently need to hear. E.g.:

* "Britta's attracted to men in emotional pain. It helps her think that she's emotionally healthy."
* "Jeff, you're a normal person. There's nothing very special about you at all. You're going to be great at a few things but really crappy at many more."
* "While claiming to have no religion, you're actually devoutly worshipping yourself."
* "We need more respect and less passion."
* "TV makes sense. It has structure, logic, rules, and likeable leading men. In life we have this. We have you."

And there's so much more that isn't easily pick-up-able from little lines of dialogue. The general message of the show is (crudely) wake up, grow up, what's important is right in front of you.

God bless Dan Harmon. May he make many more TV shows.

---

Regarding Season 1 in particular, the least appealing episode is probably the first, when the series and characters are still flailing around trying to figure out who/what they're going to be. After that it's consistently very good. The high points are "Introduction to Film," "Physical Education," and "English as a Second Language." And then of course there is the most epic (which is very different from saying the "best") episode of the whole series: "Modern Warfare."
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
So as I'm waiting for a release date for the first season of NBC's new show community, I thought I would write a review of the first season. I can not recommend this show enough. The first view episodes are a little rough as the cast was struggling with where they wanted the show to go and their chemistry, but by the end of the season I found myself not able to wait a week for the next episode. Many people have problems with Chevy Chase, but I thought he really brought the show together and was just flat out hilarious. While the main character Jeff (Joel McHale) is enough to keep you entertained, he is joined by an incredibly talented and hilarious cast. Middle-aged divorcée Shirley (Yvette Nicole Brown), and Britta Perry(Gillian Jacobs) a mid-twenties woman returning to school who plays Jeff's main love interest are among other main characters. Along with them are Troy and Abed (who together deliver a very amusing bromance), a high school graduate who lost her scholarship after an addiction to adderall, and of course, the ever funny Pierce Hawthorne(Chevy Chase) a retired older man who is for some random reason back at community college. Ken Jeong joins the cast in the second episode as the students mentally insane spanish teacher, Senor Chang.
This show never gets old, especially with guest actors such as Jack Black , Owen Wilson, and Katharine McPhee. I can not recommend this show enough!
on September 11, 2009
This episode was funny. It is clearly written by hollywood about hollywood, with alot of references to movies, and tv. Particularly from the 80's. I think it has the potential for being a great series. Or falling flat by beating the same jokes and themes to death.

It has a Bill Murray, John Candy, Chevy Chase Movie from the 80's feeling. It does this with deliberate self mocking by labeling various moments with Movies reference.

I liked it. The cast is large so hopefully they will expand in possibilities of the various characters and situations and not let it become old in 3 episodes.
on January 9, 2011
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
I watched the Halloween episode of Community and thought to myself, "There is no way in hell they will ever top this episode in terms of sheer awesomeness." Then they broadcast the Goodfellas parody. Again I thought, "Okay, they topped the Halloween episode, but there's no way they'll ever top this." Then they broadcast the paintball episode.

Community is arguably the best cast half-hour comedy series on television. Fantastic ensemble acting all around. The writing is sharp, relevant, and hilarious. And they trot in a steady stream of talented Hollywood feature film directors (Johnathan Lin and the Russo Brothers for example) to direct the episodes.

This show is criminally under-watched. If you're already a fan of Arrested Development or Always Sunny, go ahead and buy the whole first season.
on October 6, 2010
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
Week after week I watched this show as it initially aired and it never disappointed! The show spans every age, religion, race and creed. My parents love watching it for Chevy Chase's slap-stick humor while I started watching it because of Joel McHale's fantastic run on The Soup and I ended up falling in love with Donald Glover and Danny Pudi as Troy & Abed! Each character grows more funny and more lovable as the season continues.

But what makes this DVD set really stand out from others is the copious amount of extras: four extensive gag reels (one on each disc), highlight reels, commentary on every episode, a producers cut extended episode, and Abed's mini episodes, not to mention there's a Kick-Puncher comic book tucked inside!!

It's definitely one of the best sets I've ever purchased and recently Donald Glover said that most stores are sold out of the copies because they printed what they thought would last 6-8 weeks and it sold so fast it only lasted one week! It's impossible to be disappointed with this show and for the price they're charging, I almost bought 2 copies, one to loan out to my stubborn friends and the other to constantly keep with me to watch on repeat! You won't regret buying it!