Mohu Leaf 50 Indoor HDTV Antenna (Certified Refurbished)
Price:$39.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on September 10, 2013
Verified Purchase
I live in a townhouse, in a lower elevation surrounded by lots of trees, and no TV towers for ~20 miles. AT&T and Verizon cell phones are totally dead on the lower floor of my house. I finally got fed up with the cable company screwing me out of $90 a month, and cut the cord. Now time for an antenna. I checked out the recommended AntennaWeb.org site which put me mostly in the "Blue" and "Violet" zones, indicating that I'd need a "large directional" antenna; which I was totally prepared to invest in given that I'd just saved myself $90 a month.

Then I stumbled upon the Mohu Leaf Ultimate. "This thing?", I said. "I live in such a crappy building, and I'm miles away from any TV towers. That little rectangle won't work for me! Besides, it will look ugly hanging up in my living room!" But for $62 after shipping, I said, what the heck.

It came in 2 business days later (thanks Amazon) and I pessimistically did my first mount on the wall, putting it as high as it would go on my wall and being still able to hide behind the TV. Absolutely no line of sight view of any windows, and on the first floor. 18 channels! Amazing! All while the big sites said I'd need a $200 roof-mount antenna, this little thing did the job for $62!

I'm sure I could probably pull in more channels if the install were on the second floor, or if I hung it up way high on the ceiling so that everyone can see it. But I've got all the major networks, so no need. $62, works GREAT, and virtually invisible unless you look behind the TV for it.

Bottom line: if you live in a place with bad TV reception, at least TRY this thing. I'm not saying it'll work for everyone, but I had my doubts, and the Mohu Leaf Ultimate surprised me big-time. See ya cable company!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've been using this antenna to pull in OTA (Over The Air) television channels for some time now, and after test driving other similar models by other makers and the Mohu Sky 60 HDTV Antenna (formerly Sky HDTV) most recently, I can say that this is my favorite of them all!

It's small (you can have either the white or black side facing out), hooks up to any HDTV (must have tuner in the TV, a TV tuner on your PC or a HomeWorx HW180STB HDTV Digital Converter Box with Media Player Function & Dolby Digital & HDMI Out on an older TV to get this to work), and quickly scans for available channels up to 50 miles away, grabbing the signal and providing you with FREE OTA programming in HD (where available).

This antenna can, and does offer 50 mile range, but there are lots of factors that affect performance. You cannot expect to just throw it up in a window or on a wall and have it work perfectly out of the box. The work to find proper placement is worth it though, I promise you!

Please read on...

FACTORS TO CONSIDER WITH OTA CHANNEL RECEPTION

Several factors will determine whether you can successfully use the Mohu Leaf and find happiness with OTA programming.

1. Placement of the antenna is key and may take several tries. Look up where your OTA transmissions are coming from by going to antennaweb dot org and entering your address. This will help you place the Mohu.

2. Weather - blustery, windy, rainy weather will affect the signal unlike with cable TV. I have a Roku 3 Streaming Player with Motion Remote (2013 Model) and an Apple TV to stream content via Wifi, so if the TV signal is less than optimum, I watch something else. Saving a hundred a month by not paying for cable TV is worth it to me!

3. Reception and range variances are common. It's not unusual for a Mohu user to pull in all the major networks in HD (NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, FOX) and a few others, but you can't get channels if they are not within range and you may get duplicate channels. In major metro areas you may get over 50 free channels, and in rural areas you may only get one or two. **You won't get more channels than are available OTA, nor will you get channels that are out past the range of your antenna.

4. Sports enthusiasts may want to stay with cable or satellite. I saw the Super Bowl on Fox in HD OTA, but I don't get ESPN or similar cable channels. Losing access to many sports events may be an issue for some, and something to consider as then you're left with subscription services on products like the Roku, which are limited.

5. Your location will affect performance of any OTA antenna. I live at the end of a valley with lots of mountains and thick forests between me and the TV towers. This 50 mile range Mohu grabs all the available signals, which pleases me. The amplification of the signal is what does it. Non-amplified flat antennas have not worked for me, but may work for those in signal-rich areas where geography or architecture (tall buildings) are not a factor.

NOTE: I began having signal loss and pixelation, so I purchased the Mohu Sky, thinking I needed a stronger antenna to pull in existing signals at the edge of the 50 mile range. Instead I needed a new coaxial cable. I purchased and installed this one: Mediabridge Coaxial Digital Audio/Video Cable (25 Feet) - Triple Shielded F-Pin to F-Pin with Easy Grip Connector Caps - Black which is much thicker than the one that comes with the Mohu. What a difference! I've eliminated signal loss and returned the Sky as I just didn't need it.

I highly recommend this product for anyone who wants to cut ties with their cable or satellite provider. It works as promised and couldn't be simpler to use or set-up. My Mom has one, I have two, my best friend has one, and we've all happily handed back our cable boxes thanks to Mohu!

NOTE: This is the same antenna (...other than its refurbished with a 90 day warranty from Mohu...) as the Mohu Leaf 50 Indoor HDTV Antenna (formerly Leaf Ultimate) of which I've done a video review. ** The refurbs are equally as good as the retail ones in my opinion. Boxed the same, with the same quality product.** Check it out if you want to see this antenna in action, and see the set-up I'm using.

UPDATE: 4/23/14 - I ended up getting so many questions regarding my use of the Mohu antennas that I wrote a Kindle book on it: Simple Guide to Over-the-Air Free TV where I explain a simple setup of this antenna and offer up a method to decide if cable cutting is for you - and more!

---------------------

UPDATE: 3/15/15 - I've yet to have a problem with a Mohu antenna, refurb or new. I continue to be a cord cutter - loving the freedom of choice to subscribe to streaming media services or simply enjoy free TV over air.

I recently gave a new service called Sling TV a try, after putting the Sling Television on my Fire TV Stick - a fantastic streaming media device! Sling TV offers 7 days of a free trial and gives you live TV via the internet. It has ESPN and ESPN2 as part of its basic package, which when combined with a Mohu antenna is darn near perfect (in my opinion). I wrote Simple Guide to Sling TV (Non Technical Guide To Cord Cutting Book 2) to help non-techs to setup and use this service in conjunction with their over air antennas.

Mohu antennas are still my favorite. I have tried Winegard, Amazon Basics and others, but at my location - Mohu works. I have no reservations recommending this product for its build quality, functionality or durability. Great stuff!

----------------------
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 21, 2013
Verified Purchase
I got this antenna to replace a larger directional antenna. I wanted something that would take up less space, and this is as good as it gets. I found a spot on the wall that brings in all the major network channels, it takes a little playing with to find the spot. It comes with small tacks to help you secure it to the wall. My larger directional antenna brought in more channels from far away, but they are repeat channels (from far off cities) I don't really need. I'm just happy I can get all the major networks.

I saw someone who got the Leaf Ultimate with amplifier recently, who lives nearby, and I was surprised they were able to get all the channels. I saw the price for the new one, and it was a bit high, but the price for the refurbished one is much better, and it's basically like new. It comes with all the components as a new one, just not in the retail box, basically. I would recommend getting this one, over a brand new one, for the money savings.

I can imagine that some people might need multiple spots to place the antenna for different stations, you'll just have to test it out and see. It helps if your television has a signal meter option, so you can watch the strength while you adjust the antenna. Luckily it seems like one spot works for me, so I won't have to move it around.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 1, 2013
Verified Purchase
Been a long time cable subscriber but recently bought a Roku box since I found myself watching a lot of online TV shows. Realized I could probably cut the cord and go to internet only, but still wanted the ability to watch Sunday games and some other primetime shows live and gave this a shot. Shocking! I was used to the TV ears of years past and having to get them in just the right spot-- not so with the Mohu! I get tons of channels even from other broadcast markets in crystal clear HD-- and I'm in a basement apartment.

Was not disappointed!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 26, 2013
Verified Purchase
I recently purchased a Mohu Leaf Ultimate HDTV (refurbished) from Dealville, and I am very pleased with my purchase. My Mohu antenna arrived in 2 days, and my Muho came in it's original box, with all it's parts, and owner's manual (like new). My mohu antenna has lived up to it's expectation and I highly recommend this seller and Mohu.
on November 4, 2013
Verified Purchase
Easy to setup and it works. We are at the edge of reception and by adding this antenna we went from 2 or 3 stations to over a dozen. Hint the higher you can mount the antenna the better. Long cable is supplied so you have flexibility. We used a package of the 3m mounting strips to place the antenna on the wall up at the ceiling.
on July 17, 2013
Verified Purchase
I live about 40+ miles from the transmitters in my area through heavy woods. I have tried numerous other antennas with failure after failure. This one has worked surprisingly well and you couldn't beat the price for the "refurbished" unit. It looked brand new to me. With it hanging in a window, I consistently get all but the high VHF channels in my area.
on March 15, 2014
Verified Purchase
About 3 or 4 months ago I decided to cut the evil empire off (Comcast) because I was tired of paying a crazy amount for cable. I did my homework and decide to just keep the internet, while canceling the house phone and cable. So what I did was subscript to Netflix and Hulu Plus then buy a indoor antenna ( Because I rent). So after I did my homework and found out that the best 2 indoor antennas on the market were Mohu and Winegard. Both of them were about the same in price and both had the maximum distance of 50 mile mulit-directional range as their top product. I choose this one because of one simple feature....the cable. See the Winegard antenna is just one cable wire connected to the antenna, so if you got a kink or short in the wire, (which is highly unlike, but is possible) the whole antenna would be trash. With the Mohu the cable wire disconnects at the base of the antenna so if a problem did arise with cable it can be easily replaced. I hope this helps out anyone thinking about buy a antenna and cutting off the evil empire, I know it helped me and my wallet alot.
on March 4, 2014
Verified Purchase
I ordered the Mohu Leaf Amplified Antenna because I had ordered the Mohu Leaf original Antenna and love if because I get about 50 channels in the Phoenix area, so I figured I would try the amplifier version for a second TV hoping to see a difference. I did see a huge difference in the opposite direction, With the amplified version, I get only 2 channels and the tv is in the adjacent room that has a window with a direct site to the TV towers, When I thought I would get the same or better reception, I get worst reception.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 10, 2013
Verified Purchase
We live in a concrete high rise condo and are adjacent to a lot of other buildings so we have issues with multipath signals and, in addition, this TV and antenna is located in an interior space. In addition, the walls are all metal studs, so that blocks the signal as well.

This is the amplified version, but now that I look at it, I could have just as easily used any TV signal amplifier in the market.

We have cable to the condo, but this TV is our bathroom TV so the need for cable is not much and we wanted the convenience of OTA signal so we wouldn't have to change the cable box in the living area room to watch cable in the bathroom unless it was a special event.

The antenna is located in the center inside of the condo in our AV closet so I am sure it gets a lot of interference with our XM FM modulator, the WiFi router and all of the other electronic amps, receivers and cable boxes we have in there. It then feeds over coax to the TV about 60' away. We get 90% of the digital channels we got when we lived in a house and had a large 3 element antenna on the roof.

We used a dipole antenna in the bathroom when we moved in and only got one digital channel. With the Mohu, we now get about 12-14 channels.

If it got 100% of the channels I'd give it a 5. Otherwise, it works as intended.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations