9,085 Reviews
 (4,889)
 (1,523)

1,280 of 1,328 people found the following review helpful
Customer Video Review     Length:: 4:30 Mins
Prior to this purchase I tried the Mohu Leaf Paper-Thin Indoor HDTV Antenna - Made in USA and Leaf Plus Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna at my home. Neither product worked better than the Philips SDV2750/27 Amplified Superior Digital Design Antenna, and none of the three could pull in more than five channels.

In other words - they...
Published 24 months ago by Andrea Polk

Having purchased and reviewed the original Mohu Leaf antenna in August 2011 (see my performance comparison of the original Mohu Leaf versus the Terk HDTVa Antenna Pro), I was very interested in seeing whether the amplified version of this truly excellent and innovative antenna would yield any discernible additional improvement in my television reception.

Since...
Published 22 months ago by Wood B. Hermit

1,280 of 1,328 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Amplified improvement over Mohu Leaf & Leaf Plus - UPDATED 11/11/14, February 1, 2013
Andrea Polk (Pacific Northwest - USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Length:: 4:30 Mins

In other words - they didn't work for me.

When I saw the Mohu line had a new one - the Mohu MH-004092 Leaf Ultimate (currently the Mohu Leaf 50], I was pessimistically optimistic that with a 50 mile range it might be able to reach the tower located 43 miles away and pull in a couple more channels. TVFool had indicated I needed an outdoor antenna to grab over-air signals in my area, but I decided to give this one a try and if it didn't work - I could always return it.

"Mohu Ultimate - A Nice Surprise!"

Unboxed it looks and feels very much like the other two Leaf products (white on one side, black on the other), but it has an amplifier dongle, that is powered by USB. You can use the included AC adapter (with USB port on it) to power it by AC, or you can plug into a USB port on your amplifier or TV to power it. I chose the AC adapter, and plugged mine into a surge protected power strip. A blue light on the amplifer came on when it was powered up.

Directions for the Leaf 50 are simple and straightforward. There's not a lot to get confused about, which is great. Anyone can set this antenna up!

Assembly is as easy as attaching the cords per the directions, powering up the amplifier, and hanging the Leaf in the best spot for over air reception. Finding the optimum placement for the HDTV antenna to work its magic is the tricky part!

It took me 5 attempts at hanging the Leaf 50 (taking note of channels received after auto-tune and the signal quality of those channels) before I finally found the perfect spot to receive all of the HD channels in my area from CBS, NBC, FOX, CW, PBS and ABC.

Hung 7' away from other electronics, about 1" down from the ceiling, and about 5" from the corner on an East facing wall with a large window opposite the wall, the Mohu Ultimate did what none of the others could accomplish - give me FREE TV in HD.

The over-air HD channels I'd been hoping I could pull in from 43 miles away, through mountains, were now mine without being hooked up to cable! Crystal clear reception on all available HD channels, with no dropped signals or pixalation. Truly amazing!

That was something the Mohu Leaf Paper-Thin Indoor HDTV Antenna - Made in USA and Leaf Plus Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna had not been able to accomplish for me, due to shorter range and perhaps never before finding 'just the right spot' to place the Mohu for optimum reception.

However, depending upon where you live, you might be able to save yourself some money. If you live in a urban area with lots of towers nearby (25 mile range), you may not need the 'Ultimate' and its amplified range. Consider saving a bit of money and going with the Mohu Leaf Metro HDTV Antenna first, after you check with TVFool and/or antennaweb for signal strength and range in your area.

The Mohu Leaf 50 HDTV Antenna (formerly Mohu Ultimate) is a top notch device that works as promised when correctly placed for optimium performance. It's build quality is solid, and it's easy to set-up and use.

Do I wish it was a tad less pricey? Sure, but for its unobtrusive good looks, outstanding performance and money it's going to save me in the long run over cable - it's worth it!

I will be using the Leaf, and a Roku device to stream Netflix, HuluPlus and Amazon Instant Video. That combination will save me approximately $100 a month in cable bills. Something I thought I'd never be able to do with a very simple looking indoor antenna.

Definitely worth a look no matter where you live - rural, suburban or city dwellers - if you want to cut ties with cable TV.

-------------------------------------------------

Tips to getting Mohu over-the-air HDTV antennas to work for you:

1. To find the best placement for your Mohu, check TVFool for towers in your area. Knowing what channels are available, their strengths, and distance from you, and direction, is very helpful in finding the best spot for this omni-directional antenna.

2. Try at least half a dozen spots in your room to find what works best, and then you can neaten up your wiring as needed. Do a channel search after every new placement and take note of each channel's quality and tweak accordingly.

3. Hang the Mohu as high up on a wall as possible for the best reception to start, and then adjust as needed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: 2/5/2013

Getting nice clear HD reception from all the biggies in my area (CBS, ABC, NBC, PBS, and FOX). Learned that if I moved the Mohu up or down on the wall - even as little as 2" makes a difference in reception! I actually lost ABC when I placed the Mohu too high on the wall, but gained it back by dropping it down 2".

To get proper placement you may want to get a second person to help you, especially if you know the channels that should come in (because the towers are close enough and/or you've received the signal before), and have them make minor adjustments up and down to get things adjusted for optimum reception.

I have noticed a slight delay on audio over air on one channel, but otherwise, looks as good as it did using Charter cable.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: 5/1813

Some comments regarding supplementing your over air TV programming with 'streaming' devices such as the Fire TV Stick.

Streaming devices use a wireless signal or a hardwired Internet cord (from your modem or router) to stream content to your HDTV. They don't require a tuner, thus the HDTV really acts only as a monitor for the device to be able to show content to you.

The Mohu Leaf has nothing to do with the streaming of anything. It simply catches OTA (Over The Air) FREE programming (standard and HD) and through the tuner in your TV, puts those OTA channels into your tuner's memory so you can watch those signals.

Two separate things.

IF you have an OTA tuner such as the Mohu Leaf Ultimate or similar, you can cut ties with your cable company IF you are happy with the programming options it gives you. Streaming programming from Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix, and other sources allows you to add to your programming options without the cost of cable TV, but it does require both the device (means to stream programming) and Internet service (a per month cost).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: 7/8/13

I ended up lending my Leaf 50 to my mother for a test drive, and hooked-up my non-amplified Mohu Leaf while she tried out this one.

Needless to say I lost channels - two were my favorite HD ones - and wanted THIS one back!

I cannot speak for everyone who uses this amplified antenna, but for me, in my location... I need that extra 'umph' provided by the Mohu Leaf Ultimate!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: 1/6/14

Mohu Curve 50 Designer HDTV Antenna is the latest of the amplified Mohu antennas. It has a curved design versus the flat design of this one. I've yet to get to test drive it, but if I do I'll be excited to see if there is any performance difference. (SEE 11/11/14 UPDATE - works great!)

I recently helped a friend drop her Charter cable TV by using a refurbished (like new with 1 year warranty...) Leaf 30. She lives in a town with towers a lot closer than in my area - and she's thrilled!

We both find that since we get the over air HD channels *(all the biggies: Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS... in HD) and can get most programming via the Internet, Amazon, Netflix and Hulu Plus - there's really no need to pay for so many channels we never watch. Not when we're saving about $1200 a year doing it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: 1/18/14

One thing to consider before cable cutting is whether or not you enjoy live sports. If so, keeping cable may be the only way (other than sport-specific subscriptions on the Roku or similar device) to feed that addiction. I've found that while the Mohu Leaf Ultimate works amazingly well in my rural location to pull in all the HD channels, I can only watch sports on those channels or pay to watch them on a channel via Roku or Apple TV.

I'm also picking up some channels with my PC tuner - with no Mohu attached - and am able to use the PC as a DVR. I've hooked up the Mohu to the tuner and it works well, but I was really surprised to get some unscrambled channels via the straight cable connection, even with my TV service turned off. **Give it a try if you have a PC tuner and Windows Media Player. Maybe you'll get lucky this way too!

I still get my internet via my cable company, but my bill went from $150 a month to $54 by using the Mohu Leaf Ultimate. Really a great, almost life-changing, money-saving device. Still highly recommend it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: 2/1/14

After the initial shock of losing TLC, FX, A&E, History and HGTV, I'm so happy to be using the Mohu Leaf 50 to pull in my over-air HD signals. 98% of the time, the picture is crystal clear, without a hiccup. All the major stations in HD and no cable bill.

Even after pulling the plug on cable TV, I'm able to get cable channels through my PC which has a SiliconDust HDHomeRun CONNECT 2-Tuner ATSC DLNA/UPnP Compatible Streaming Media Player, HDHR4-2US attached to it, via Windows Media Player. I actually get some channels that I don't get via the Mohu on the PC (in addition to the over-air channels picked up by the Mohu), and can use the PC as a DVR. I don't have a flat anntena hooked up to my PC, so I guess the signal is coming through the line that's split with the other lead feeding my cable modem for our internet service?

2/4/14 UPDATE

Per a comment left by J.Ward I learned something new today that I want to share with others.

Jeff says: "No TV receives 1080P from Cable, Dish, or Antenna, so there is no limitation with your TV, as stated in your video review. It is simply too large of an amount of data to bring to the household, so it is limited to a broadcast of 1080i. The only way to view 1080P currently is via BluRay." Good to know - Thanks Jeff!

The over-air HD channels in 1080i look great, and I'm tickled to have 'em with the Leaf 50.

2/12/14 UPDATE

"Hmmm... not sure what happened to that other HD over air channel?"

I'm not sure why, but last night I lost one of the digital, over-air channels about 14 miles from my house. Using the TV to do an autoscan for channels I found that when scanning 'air', I do not get the channel anymore. I swapped out the TV with another containing a similar digital tuner. I was thinking that my old plasma was giving up the ghost and the tuner was dying, but alas the newer HDTV also did not pick up the lost channel.

Troubleshooting this way told me it wasn't the tuner, but it didn't tell me if it was the antenna or the signal that had changed.

I did a channel scan for 'cable' (I have the cable lead plugged into the back of my TV, although no cable TV service at present), and there was the channel I'd lost, and another I missed noting I'd lost in addition to the first. I tried to clear the TV of scrambled channels, but it wouldn't do it. It may just be that I was impatient, so I'll try to do that later today when no one is watching TV.

I can use the TV's remote to switch between the two feeds to get all the channels, but I am confused as to why this happened in the first place. Using the TV's channel search for a combined 'Air and Cable' I still don't get the channel without switching the 'antenna' button on my TV's remote. Unplugging the cable from the wall from the TV also did nothing to fix this issue.

Needless to say it's not ideal, but I can't say for sure whether it's the antenna or something else.

NOTE: A reviewer in the comments noted that he took off the antenna amplifier and got more channels than with it. I don't doubt him, but when I do this, my normal 12-14 channels drops to only 2! Amplified is the only way to go in my house.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: 2/24/14

Tried the Mohu Sky 60 amplified attic/outdoor HDTV antenna w/ mount and sent it back after troubleshooting and finding that by upgrading the Leaf 50's coaxial, I got back my channels and cleared up the signal loss. I gained no channels by upgrading to the Mohu Sky, but that extra 10 mile range may help some folks. Just bear in mind you have to install it in your attic or on your rooftop for the best performance.

Mediabridge Coaxial Digital Audio/Video Cable (25 Feet) - Triple Shielded F-Pin to F-Pin with Easy Grip Connector Caps - Black solved my issue. I suggest upgrading the thin cable that ships with the Mohu to this one to get the best signal strength and stability.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: 4/13/14

In the comments jbwam mentions an issue that you may want to know. The warranty will be voided if you puncture it, as with a nail to hang it. This model has two small holes which allow it to be hung this way, but Winegard's model does not.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: 4/23/14 - SIMPLE GUIDE TO OVER-THE-AIR FREE TV - Kindle Book

I received so many questions regarding my use of this Mohu Leaf antenna that I decided to write a book about over-the-air TV and setting up flat antennas.

The book isn't for folks who already have cut the cord and know what it's all about, but rather for people who may be on the fence about it or who want to learn how to save money by eliminating cable or satellite TV service. It's a step-by-step guide to how to do it, and setup an indoor antenna. It also talks about streaming devices and answers a lot of common questions. Resources for more info is also in the book.

Simple Guide to Over-the-Air Free TV which is written in a non-techy way, for real people who just want to know more, save money and watch a little TV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: 6/8/14

Recently I started using my new TV with this Mohu antenna and as with the other one all the channels were recognized with a 'air' channel scan and look great!

My new TV: Sharp LC-60EQ10U 60-inch Aquos Q 1080p 240Hz Smart LED TV has built-in apps for Netflix, Hulu Plus and others (but not Amazon... a major bummer for me, but the Roku still has it) as well as an on screen guide that seamlessly integrates the over air channels with offerings from streaming media. At a glance I can now see what's on for all my over air channels as well as what's available on Netflix. A very cool feature that I was pleased worked so well with the Mohu antenna.

NOTE: If you're having issues with your Mohu antenna not receiving channels, or issues with setup in general, email them! They are really receptive and will help you get it right. They want you to successfully cut the cord and enjoy OTA FREE TV!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: 9/5/14

I'm still lovin' the cord cutter lifestyle and happily using the Mohu Leaf 50. We've had forest fires nearby and I did note some pixelation (caused by what I'm guessing is atmospheric interference) occasionally.

Dropped signals and interferance are rare if you've got the right antenna for your location, but they do happen when weather like heavy rain, wind or similar occur, especially with TV transmissions from the far reaches of the antenna's range.

On another subject...

Anyone else anxiously awaiting the official launch of Mohu Channels?

Mohu Channels a device that's currently not on Amazon, but can be seen on the GoMohu site. www.gomohu.com/shop/channels-ota-streaming-device.html/ is where to find it. It looks like a very cool tool for cord cutters and I'm anxious to give it a go.

Backers of the Kickstarter campaign that launched the product into production and who have received it, are delighted with it and currently helping Mohu to get it just right for the retail market.

If you want to check out part of what's on the Mohu Channels device, do a online search for 'Mohu One'. It's a free site that is integrated into the device, but anyone can check it out at MohuOne dot com. Click 'enter' and give it a test drive.

Questions?

If you want to check out the Mohu Forum - a great place to ask questions and learn more about cord cutting, Mohu products and more - it's found here: www.gomohu.com/store-wordpress/forums/index.php .

------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: 11/11/14

I've recently given the Mohu Curve 50 Designer HDTV Antenna a try in the same location as shown in the video. It works great! It's thicker than the Leaf 50 and ridged. I actually ended up suspending it from the ceiling with hooks (in the ceiling) and velcro straps that I have around the stanchion that is placed on the back of the Curve 50 when you set it up.

At my location, the Leaf 50 and the Curve 50 both give me free TV over-the-air in a way that is as good as cable ever was at my location. (And the Leaf Ultimate that is in the original video... still works as new!) I couldn't be happier with the antenna performance or the build-quality of any of these products.

AND...

I found an iOS app named BuddyTV that is great for giving cord cutters an at-a-glance view of over-the-air channels. It acts a dynamic TV Guide for your channels, and in some cases can work as a remote too. It works with my Roku 3, but not my TV.

BuddyTV Guide is also available for Android - FREE on Amazon. It has mixed reviews, but since it's free, I'd give it a shot to see if it works for you.

3,187 of 3,370 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Rare: Better Indoor TV Antenna!, April 21, 2011
I am part of a small group of friends who are gadget enthusiasts. One of us was a cable TV technician for 20 years, before that a TV repairman who installed tower TV antenna systems. We find that the best indoor antennas tend to be inexpensive, about $14 tops. There are a lot of makers and retailers of "Amazing digital" indoor antennas that prove to be garbage and cost up to $130. We have tested dozens and in the end end up still recommending $4 RCA units sold by stores like Family Dollar and Dollar General. My favorite has been a no brand flat antenna made in China, sold by Big Lots for $14. With I pick up 9 to 11 digital & HD channels.

Every $30 plus unit I've found recommended by buyer comments, I've ended up returning as the Big Lots unit did as good or better. Then, I ordered the Leaf. I did expect some improvement given the many very high buyer ratings.I was also thinking I may end up returning it. 1st, I was sceptical. As one buyer here put it: "it didn't look like much". Paper thin and paper light sealed in plastic. I thought "what the heck?
I paid $44 for this?" My first placements and tuner scanning left me unimpressed. Then, I read the sheet that came with it. It read: 'best results from positioning it cable down. I recalled one buyer wrote she taped it up, I grabbed a thin tall box and taped the Leaf to it, so the cable could be at the bottom and the leaf hang down. I could move the box around the top of my entertainment system, which permits me to face the Leaf out a window.

This time when I ran 'scan channels' I was amazed. My TV found 14 channels! I was seriously impressed as I sampled the channels. I got 19 channels and three more (two of them analog) that do not work well. I cannot wait to connect a low power amplifier. With that I am sure I will get 22 channels, all with small indoor antenna. I cannot wait to see what happens when I position the Leaf to pick up stations to the North of me. I live in Canton, Michigan, an hour from Toledo, Ohio. I would not have believed it, if a nieghbor told me he could get one Toledo channel with an indoor antenna. I am getting three! I am also getting Canada's CBC 9, an analogue channel.

NOTE. I find many times buyers blame on an antenna, a fault I never see mentioned in buyer "reviews". I am surprised neither antenna sellers or makers educate buyers about this very real possibility, namely not all tuners are the same, not all tuners in the same TV model line work properly. For instance, I bought a Haier 10" portable as a gift recently. When I tested it, the TV worked fine. I bought another one a week later as a gift. The second Haier had a defective tuner. It finds only 2 to 3 channels with the same antenna and same locations and positions where I tested the first Haier I bought. The first TV found 9-11 channels and play them well, except for one or two. Also, the second tuner came up with different results each time I ran scan.

When you find your results with a highly buyer rated antenna is poor, you want to make sure the problem isn't your tuner, not your antenna or your location, the electronics near the area, your house construction, etc. I point this out because people mention every possibility beginning with sorry antenna and including where their home is, walls in their home, etc., but NEVER suspect the tuner (Or a neighbor's overpowered poorly tuned illegal CB radio station). Consider also Solar activity & atmospheric activity, at the time. that may deflect TV signals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Want to cut the cable (dish) cord? This is it!, February 24, 2013
Cody C Johnson (Wake Forest, North Carolina) - See all my reviews
What can I say, other than I am very pleased with the outcome. My review is as follows:

Packaging:
Super packaging. Clear directions and very nice labeling / numbering of the parts. I also liked the fact that Mohu is indicating from pictures, you can run your whole house through the single Sky antenna. The picture of the 'HOUSE' on the box was a nice touch.

My situation is:
I've been looking to cut the cord, Time Warner Cable, for quite some time and was quite sick of the horrible customer service, bad compressed HD signal's, and the ridiculous monthly payment for TV that we simply didn't watch all that much. Literally I started to take notice of my Wife and I, when the kids were down and in bed,TV watching habits. Unless it was a movie that we rented from Amazon Prime instant video or Netflix, we were channel surfing literally every night. During the day, no TV and weekends -- well TV watching was non-existent as well.

I've known about Mohu and their leaf antenna's for a while and have heard great things about them, but I was looking for something stronger, something to control a whole house through 1 antenna. --- After many emails with the Mohu team and waiting for this antenna to hit the market, this was hopefully my savior!

My setup:
GE Smart Panel in closet. 6 TV's in house + 1 projector in the movie room.
1) Play room - Rarely used
2) Living room - used often
3) Porch - 50/50 use
4) Spare bedroom's - Used when guests stay over
5) Master bedroom - used often
6) Office - Used daily
7) Movie room - Mainly used for movies / football (Summer time, use will be very low)

Install:
I originally hooked up the antenna in the closet, hooked directly into the panel for testing purposes. This closet is literally in the middle of my house so I figured I wouldn't get much of a signal, but I wasn't looking for that... I was simply making sure I could get that signal out to the rest of the house.
Well to my surprise, the signal was amazing! All TV's, I was able to grab around 31-32 channels with the Antenna in the closet.

Next step was to now get working on the install of the antenna, outside. Thankfully I already had a Dish Network Sat. that was outside, coax cable already run, and this Dish was not in use.
I simply removed the old dish and mount -- replaced with the new mount / antenna from Mohu.

Back into the house to test. Results were not the best. The picture was slightly laggy (Choppy) and signal was dropping from good to bad, back to good and then back to bad. After moving the antenna around a bit and re-testing, the interference dropped a bit and the signal was a little more stable, but it still wasn't as it should be.
**NOTE** -- It was very windy that day and I am surrounded by big trees and two large homes, neighbors. I'm positive in that, if my mounting would have been higher I would have NO issues. I guess my own personal issue is, my roof has some pretty intense peaks that I was not about to climb!

Into the attic:
Once into the attic, I re-ran cabling from the attic to the crawl space and then back up into the back side of my panel. Hooked the cable into the panel and MAGIC! My mounting in the picture is temporary, I plan on mounting to one of the beams.

Testing:
I was able to net 42 digital channels, to all TV's in house!!

Conclusion:
All in all, I cannot say enough about how easy it was to get this setup and working. As for size, the unit is small and could literally be installed into almost any space / situation. Amazing signal strength and the picture is simply superb. Pure HD. Loving it.

See pics and please feel free to contact me should you have any questions.
I have MANY more pictures, it appears that Amazon will only allow up to 5?

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked..but I wouldn't use it alone, October 20, 2011
Wolfy (San Diego, Cali) - See all my reviews
After being burned and wasting money on cable and satellite the last couple of years I wanted to look for an alternative, especially because I don't really watch tv all that much. I'm a apartment dweller, and often move once a year for work. I wanted to buy a strong outdoor antenna, but stringent rules on cabling and mounting of such an antenna, made it difficult. I wanted to try my luck first with a couple of indoor antennas, before shifting to the outdoor route.

I purchased this item, due to the high ratings. I was completely disappointed when this item didn't work for me right out of the box. I called their CS, and they were very helpful. I assumed my 7yr old Sony HDTV had a digital turner and wouldn't need a converter, but I was wrong.

When I finally got my digital converter box and hooked up the Leaf, I was able to detect about 22 channels, but not all that well. Most cut in and out. I also purchased a few other items to supplement this product, and after playing around a bit with placement and set up, I now get 17 channels at 100%, and there is only 12 full-pwred stations in the surrounding cities in my area. I also get quite a few channels in High Def. There is only one VHF channel in my area, but I get that one at 100% with the Amp I'm using. The picture is better than I've ever been able to receive with Cable or Satellite. I can't believe I'm finally utilizing my tv's HD capability, and I'm not paying a dime.

I said it works But because I was able to receive almost the same amount of channels with the $8 rabbit ears I bought at the same time and I also wouldn't suggest using this item alone. However, if I had to choose either one, I would definitely go with the Leaf. Less adjustment is needed and it gets a stronger signal overall. But I would suggest adding a amp and maybe a extra VHF antenna for the best possible signal from an indoor antenna. I'm planning to buy the PCT 2-Port Bi-Directional Amp/Splitter to eliminate the extra cabling and to boost my signal.

Update: I was still curious about how many channels I could possibly get in the area, so when I went to Lowes I picked up the GE Outdoor/Indoor Antenna on a whim for almost $50. The box claimed the strongest signal, with its 20db built-in amp, but I only got about a third of what I got with the Leaf, even with it outside.

Update II: I have since received the PCT 2-Port Bi-Directional Amp and now this works like a champ. I didn't realize this amp has two outputs not inputs, so I can only connect one antenna without a additional splitter. Well, it doesn't seem to matter, because this amp boosts the leaf enough to use alone. The signal is so strong now, there is no pixelation and everything is pretty much looks HD without any signs of noise, which the RCA Amp couldn't do. I'm going to purchase the PCT 1-Port Bi-Directional Amp, to see if that helps even more.

Update III: I tried both the Mini 1 Port Bi-Directional PCT Amp and the Regular Heavy duty 1Port PCT amp and out of all three Amps I tried the 1-Port Heavy Duty worked the best. The Mini 1-Port was the worst out of 4 amps I tried with this antenna. I don't recommend wasting your time on the Mini 1-Port Amp, even though it advertises to be double the amplification. Don't believe it. The big/heavy older vision of the PCT amps are work the best.

Update IV: I bought a 2nd Leaf Antenna for my bedroom tv and for my mother that lives out of state. My LED tv in my bedroom doesn't need a converter box, but unfortunately I still need the PCT amp to get great reception. It's still a great buy and I rave to others about it whenever I can. I love not having a monthly bill.

My Final Set-up after trying multiple equipment:

PCT 2-Port Bi-Directional Amp (the 1-port is dinky and doesn't amplify as well)
Viore Digital TV Converter Box ($34 Walmart)

3.0 out of 5 stars No difference between ultimate & original, non-amplified Mohu Leaf, March 21, 2013
This review is from: Mohu Leaf 50 Amplified Indoor Antenna (Electronics)

Since I know that I am not located in a twilight zone of poor television reception, I was quite surprised to discover that - if anything - the basic non-amplified Mohu Leaf that has now been in service since 2011 actually outperformed the Mohu Leaf Ultimate!

To be certain that I hadn't received either a defective antenna or amplifier, I even exchanged my first Mohu Ultimate for another one and yet I still obtained exactly the same disappointing results.

Testing both antennas in precisely the same location that I already had determined to give me the best reception in 2011, the Mohu Ultimate did receive about 5 more stations than the basic Mohu Leaf antenna, but since these stations were essentially all unusable (poor signal strength, etc.) that really doesn't count as an improvement.

At a minimum, what I had been hoping for was to pull in the one major station in my area that the basic leaf never could receive - channel 3 the local NBC affiliate. However, this just didn't happen.

Furthermore, the stations that I did receive (about 44 total with some unusable, some Spanish, some duplicate - about 20+ distinct and usable English stations) actually all had greater signal strength with the non-amplified leaf, just about one bar more on the television signal intensity meter.

Now don't get me wrong, the Mohu Leaf is a great antenna in whatever version you choose to purchase it, but if the ultimate version doesn't yield any noticeable improvement over the basic, non-amplified model why spend an additional $50.00? Just stick with the already very impressive original Mohu Leaf!

Bottom line: If you're considering purchasing a Mohu leaf antenna (a very wise decision to help you cut the cable cord!), don't assume that the ultimate version will necessarily yield the best or ultimate results. It might be wise to try the original Mohu leaf first and then, depending on the quality of your reception, either purchase the upgraded antenna or save the extra money for something else.

Here on Amazon with 30-day returns, it's a simple thing to order both antennas and then make an objective head-to-head comparison like I did, before making your final decision on which antenna to purchase and which to return.

Alternatively, you can buy the basic non-amplified Mohu Leaf and use it with a Mohu Jolt amplifier - in combination the same thing as the ultimate antenna - or just purchase the new Mohu Ultimate antenna alone and then connect or disconnect the included amplifier to make an appropriate comparison to determine what works best for you!

Finally, if you're a really smart consumer what you'll do is purchase one of these nifty indoor HD antennas like the Mohu Leaf discussed here (also worth considering is the Terk HDTVa Antenna Pro - see my review here on Amazon) to receive TV channels the old fashioned and free way via the airwaves and then pair it with the newly available game-changing Roku 3 streaming device (see my review) which will enable you to cut the cable company/dish cord for good.

I have done this and have been cable-free since August 2011 and am loving it! You too can liberate yourself from cable company/dish slavery and save the cost of a brand new HDTV every year (about $1200.00 annually). Go ahead, cut the cord and finally set yourself free!

Note that if you do decide to pursue a cable-free, dish-free TV lifestyle, don't skimp on the broadband connection that you will need to ensure smooth streaming with minimal buffering; this is especially important with a WiFi connection. Sufficient bandwidth is essential for the Roku 3 to provide an enjoyable TV viewing experience; it can't work miracles without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked fine in Orlando, FL. 32824, February 5, 2013
This review is from: Mohu Leaf 50 Amplified Indoor Antenna (Electronics)
I currently own the leaf plus and the ultimate.

In terms of performance, they both performed exactly the same. Based on Antenna web, I'm supposed to get about 50 channels using an indoor antenna. With the leaf plus I got 44 and with the ultimate I got exactly the same. If I install the antenna outside, I get 48 out of 50 on both antennas.

So why pay $90 for the ultimate? It's a good antenna (The best from all I have tested), but if you already have the plus, it may not be worth to also get this one unless u really need it.

The only difference is that the ultimate has a 16' cable and the amplifier is detachable.

I took the amp and installed it in a non-leaf antenna and it performed exactly as the leaf (44 out of 50 indoor; 48 out of 50 outdoor).

I'm guessing that what makes the leaf so good is not the antenna, but the jolt amplifier.

**********************
** UPDATE: 02/07/13 **
**********************

I wanted to share some additional info with everyone:

I used to have a bundled service (Internet / Digital Cable w some premium channels) with bright house network. When I got the leaf, I decided to drop my cable and only leave internet access. By doing so, I was able to save a bit more than $80 per month.

I guess you are thinking "Why is this so important?" Continue reading... :-)

After the cable company came and picked up the DVR and disconnected the cable, out of curiosity I decided to connect the TV to the cable outlet. For my surprise, the connection was transmitting all local channels for FREE; No antenna needed. I thought it had to be an error, but it looks like they installed some type of filter to prevent basic/extended cable to be viewed and left the local channels. I don't know if this was an employee error, a law/reg. rule that obligates them not to charge for local channels or if perhaps this is some type of "courtesy" policy to those that have internet and no cable.

If you are in this situation, try connecting the TV to the cable outlet and scan for channels. Don't forget to set your TV to "Cable TV" and not antenna when doing so.

Good Luck

5.0 out of 5 stars Dont Wait! Cut to Cord! Mohu Sky is the way, April 3, 2013
I've been a cable user all of my life. As a new homeowner I was looking for ways to save money, but still maintain a level of comfort in my new home. I have kept up with the technology "boom" for the past few years so I would say I am pretty good with most of the fancy new devices. With that introduction out of the way, I will be reviewing key points on the Mohu SKY that I think are important for a thorough review. Here goes...

PRICE
What everyone, myself included will notice first with this product is the cost. Think of this with a different perspective. First take the annual cost of cable and compare it to the present and only payment for the Mohu SKY. The break-even analysis shows that the initial payment only lasts a few months until your cable bill is free.

BUILD
The device feels nice and solid. It is extremely surprising at how light it is. The size will fit comfortably between typical roof joist spacing in an attic or crawl space. The mounting components are high quality and can be adjusted for any mounting configuration.

RECEPTION
After unboxing the Mohu SKY I wanted to test its capabilities. I took it into the basement, put it on top of the TV and scanned for channels. I was amazed to see 32 channels found! I then easily mounted the antenna in my attic and found 54 channels. Some channels are duplicates and others have weak signal, but the majority are perfect.

PROS
This multi-directional antenna provides excellent quality HD television from signals approximately 60 miles away. The antenna can be mounted easily in an attic or crawlspace. I would recommend to anyone looking for an HD antenna.

CONS
You pay for quality. The price is on the high side; however the product quality, customer support, antenna signal, and warranty are worth the payment.
The very minute disappointment in the Mohu Sky is the 30' coax cable included. As a consumer I would like the option to purchase a longer cable if necessary.

OVERALL SATISFACTION
I decided to pursue the Mohu SKY over the Mohu leaf because of the range and mounting options. I give the SKY 5 stars, two thumbs up, and think this is a great addition to the Mohu family. I would urge anyone reading reviews to purchase this antenna.

3.0 out of 5 stars Comcast and Verizon are in the rearview mirror!, April 25, 2013
HPvet (Geneva, Illinois) - See all my reviews
We have now installed two of these antennas successfully at different locations, eliminating everything from our cable suppliers but the internet connection. They work great!!

Installation in Florida: Approximately 40 miles distant in each direction from two major antenna areas, one directly south, one directly north. Replaced FIOS from Verizon with AppleTV (hulu, MLB, free internet like youtube, etc.) and the mohu Sky antenna hooked to two HDTV's, one configured with a Tivo box. The antenna run was short and I was able to connect to two house cable jacks outside the home with a splitter. The splitter (Home Depot) must have one side that passes DC voltage from the antenna preamp power supply connected to one TV to the outside antenna. Since my run was short and there were only two devices, no distribution amp or signal boost was necessary. The internet service from Verizon is connected to another house cable jack and powers Verizon's wireless router. We get 44 digital channels, some from both directions. We had tried the Leaf and even the Sky indoors but reception improved dramatically when the Sky was placed outside about 12' off the ground. Saved $400 on basic cable per year.

Installation in Illinois: Approximately 40 mile distant from two major antenna areas, one directly east, one to the northwest. Replaced Xfinity from Comcast with AppleTV (hulu, MLB, free internet like youtube, etc.) and the mohu Sky antenna hooked to four HDTV's, one configured with a Tivo box. The antenna run was quite long in this case and 85' of RG6 was added to the 30' of antenna supplied cable. The antenna is located in the attic close to a 110V outlet. The antenna preamp power supply is hooked to the antenna in the attic and the TV end goes into Motorola Broadband amp. Then, 85' of RG6 runs to a distribution amp that has the four output connections for the TV jacks. Tried without the broadband amp to the distribution amp but signal boost was necessary. The internet service from Comcast is connected to another house cable jack and powers a wireless N router. We get 52 digital channels, some from both directions, most from Chicago. We had tried the Sky indoors and reception was similar when the Sky was placed in the attic about 19' off the ground. Saved $2400 on cable per year.

Total monthly charges for Tivo, MLB and hulu are $45/ month or $540/year compared to $2800. After ten years, it pays for a new car!! And while we do miss cable news, internet TV gives us so many more pleasant options to watch, when we want to watch them, than cable ever did.

Update,May 17, 2014 - Lowered from 5 Stars to 2

Three months after my initial purchase last year, the attic mounted MOHU Sky went dead. Well, things do fail and MOHU support was great, expediting a new unit under warranty. A week ago, the replacement failed and, no longer under warranty. Trying to understand the possible problem, I immediately sent an Email to MOHU support and have yet to hear back. Disappointing! I decided to see what alternatives were available after a year and purchased a DB4e Extended range antenna and installed it this evening. Works great! our MOHU DTV channels were at 51. The DB4e is 80. The DB4e doesn't have a built in preamp like the MOHU so it easier to install and possibly more reliable. The TV signal meter is in the 90's for every channel we are interested in. Dropped the MOHU to two stars for reliability, price (the DB4e is half the cost) and simplicity of installation. If the other MOHU dies, the DB4e is my clear replacement. The only downside is the the DB4e is 3 to 4 times the size of a MOHU. But a dead MOHU makes size irrelevant.

Update Dec 1, 2014- Raised rating to three stars

Finally got a nice Email from Mohu but was so pleased with the DB4 antenna that I ordered a second one from Amazon and attempted to replace the Mohu in Florida with the DB4 and a Channel Master preamp, the reason being that two PBS stations had low power and couldn't be received. In Florida, we are located about half way between Tampa and Ft Meyers, one at 4 degrees and the other at 120. While the DB4 had a stronger signal in any one direction, it pretty much eliminated all signal from the other. In addition, the low power stations still could not be received. The Mohu provided a much greater ability to be omnidirectional and was the best choice for this location. Additionally, it has been up for two years in Florida storms and has shown no degradation or failure. Perhaps the two Mohu's that failed in 2013 were part of a bad run or a difference in grounding. Based on your application, it may be your best choice and likely the one I would replace the Florida antenna with if it were to fail. Keeping my fingers crossed.

960 of 1,088 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Raised Lazarus from the dead!, April 28, 2011
I live in the middle of nowhere. About 70 miles either way to the nearest broadcast antenna and between two mountains. Getting any over-the-air stations with an outdoor antenna is challenge enough, let alone an indoor antenna. I was frustrated that my satellite company didn't carry those cool new sub-channels some of the stations now have, like Antenna TV, so, short of climbing on my dangerous roof to give an antenna a whirl only to be probably disappointed, I tried about 5 different amplified indoor antennas that all raved how great they were. Not a single station. Zero. Zip. I had lost all hope that signals even existed in my remote valley. Websites like "antenna web" agreed. "No signals available in my area." That is until I read the reviews about the Mohu. It seemed too good to be true, but I am an electronics geek and like experimenting. Customer service is GREAT and the guy gave me tips for placement of the antenna upstairs near a window, etc. So the antenna comes the other day. I was expecting my usual "ZERO CHANNELS FOUND" message. I walked out of the room while it was scanning and come back in and there's Antenna TV playing. I almost passed out cold on the floor. This little paper-thin thing managed to get the Antenna TV affiliate from 70 miles away at my house between mountains. I moved the thing to the other window and got another 2 channels from another city 70 miles in the "other" direction. If you enjoy Bible stories, you'll appreciate this analogy: this thing can raise Lazarus from the dead! LOL I really thought no signals existed in my valley after trying antenna after antenna. How this thing works, I have no idea, but I'm looking forward to buying a cheap little amplifier and plugging it in and seeing if I get even more channels. Great product which does the unthinkable. Great customer service. And made in the USA. Now that should say something. Every other antenna I tried was of course made in China.

4.0 out of 5 stars MOHU Indoor Slim Antenna, July 13, 2011
dmmusic "dfmusic" (Northern NJ, United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this indoor MOHU Slim Antenna to replace an old Radio Shack amplified rabbit ears type antenna. The old antenna would pick up all the available stations but required a power wall wart and a lot of constant fiddling to get all the stations. The MOHU Slim Antenna gives the same reception without a power supply and once I had it adjusted, worked as well or better than my old antenna.

Set up: True you can mount it anywhere indoors, but then don't expect 100% reception. Another reviewer suggested to mount it to a larger sheet of cardboard and by trial and error find the best location and angle. Make sure to rescan channels with each new location/angle.

What I did: As a musician I had an old wire type music stand. I taped the antenna to it and placed it near a top floor window of my house. I did a few scans and eventually got the channels I expected. ([...] will tell you what to expect in your location) Some angle adjustment is needed to get the best reception. I kept rotating the antenna and finally found the perfect position and all the expected stations are clear and no further adjustment is necessary. Of course your reception will depend on your location, tv tuner sensitivity, trees etc.
In Northern NJ I receive 40+ channels that are a mix of network, PBS, music only, NOAA, foreign and Spanish.

Mohu Leaf 50 Amplified Indoor Antenna