4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect
Published on March 13, 2009 by Bub

3.0 out of 5 stars Put together well but paper too thin
This notebook has many excellent features: a tough but flexible cover, rounded corners, smooth paper, a fabric bookmark, and an elastic closure.

Published on October 10, 2009 by A Reader

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect, March 13, 2009
This review is from: Moleskine Classic Notebook, Extra Large, Plain, Black, Soft Cover (7.5 x 10) (Classic Notebooks) (Journal)
I really want to love these books, and I would if not for how thin the pages are. Before the Xlarge size came out, I had been using the Large for a couple years but had always thought the page dimensions were a little awkward to fill. These are the perfect size, and would be the perfect notebook in my opinion if the pages weren't so thin. I guess they are just trying to keep the profile thin as a whole, but you can see through not only to what is written on the back of a page, but what is written on the face of the next page.

Having stated this negative, it is the only one I have for this book. It has a soft cover, is plain and unobtrusive looking, and it comes with all the "accessories" I want in a journal: a ribbon bookmark, an attached elastic band to keep it closed, and a folder in the back to put extras in. It also has a good number of pages, and most important for me, comes in this unlined version.

So the book has thin pages but comes closer to perfection than any other notebook I've found. I think with some of us though, the very particular ones, the only way to obtain our idea of a perfect journal would be to make it ourselves. For those in this same demographic that are too lazy to do so, this Moleskine, for me at least, comes close enough.

3.0 out of 5 stars Put together well but paper too thin, October 10, 2009

However, I have to agree with another reviewer that the paper is very thin, so it is not practical to write on both the front and the back of a given sheet. Fountain pen ink and some kinds of gel ink show through strongly on the back of the page. Standard ballpoint does not show through (or only a little), but leaves imprinted tracks. I suppose one could paste clippings or photos on the back sides of the unused pages.

All things said, I plan to buy this notebook again when my present one is filled up. The solid construction and unobtrusive appearance have won me over. With less "inky" writing implements it is just fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this notebook!, January 15, 2012
instantkarma (Watchung, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
I've been using Moleskine for several years. I've only ever used the Pocket & Large sizes. I've loved those too, but had 2 issues: I couldn't really get close to the margins due to the binding, and I felt cramped (I have large hands), in particular, when writing at the bottom of pages, where it was hard to rest my hand properly.

> The larger format of this notebook is akin to a composition notebook. It opens wide, so there's no issue trying to fill the page end to end, or top to bottom.
> It doesn't feel too large (it doesn't look awkward when you open this out at a corporate meeting. In fact, I've been seeing more people bringing regular size notebooks to meetings lately.
> It still has the class and essential simplicity of Moleskine.
> What it lacks, really is slightly thicker paper, as other reviewers have noted. I use a fine nib fountain pen, and have begun writing on both sides without any issues. With a roller ball or gel tip, I can only use one side of a page. Of course, with pencil I have no issues except for the smudging.
> The number of pages is just right... it lasts me about 3 months, so it looks presentable at the end as it did when I opened it. However if you want the ragged Moleskine look, since this is a soft side notebook, the pages will dog ear a bit if you carry it around loosely in a backpack.
> Last, it's too big to stuff in your back pocket.

Overall, love it, and I think I've found my new favorite Moleskine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the perfect size!, September 3, 2010
R. Itoo (Sao Paulo, Brazil) - See all my reviews
I've been trying all choices of sketch books available on the market for years, and always found Moleskine's large size book a bit small for my drawings and art project notes, but this extra large is just perfect! Quality is superb comparing to any other sketch book on the market.
For those looking for something beyond a regular sketch book this is the one!

2.0 out of 5 stars Different paper vs. 'large' (5x8) moleskines, October 19, 2012
Rainy (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
The paper is very different from 'large' (5x8) moleskines, it's not as smooth and doesn't work well with fountain pens (ink spreads along paper fibers).

Two stars for use with fountain pens; with other pens 4-5 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Forget using this with a fountain pen, February 15, 2014
This paper is so thin the ink bleeds through terribly. I read all the other reviews that say exactly that but I thought maybe it would be different for my fountain pen. Not so. I suspect that even rollerball pens would bleed through the thin paper. Beautiful journal though. The whole thing is kind of flimsy -- it's definitely not a hard cover. The spine itself is pretty stiff so the cover and pages don't really fold down very flat. If you're looking for a large journal you can roll up and you use pencil or ball point this might work well.

5.0 out of 5 stars class notes made easier, September 3, 2010
I use these every semester for class notes. They are the perfect size and keep me organized for exams.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect, May 3, 2010
Nolawi "nolawi" (Alexandria, VA, United States) - See all my reviews
This Book I use for work, has the best cover I have seen in notebooks in the price range. It has all the features except a place to put a pen/pencils. Its always hard to find a balance with sturdy and flexibility this is close.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE!!, January 8, 2014
Marielle (Rochester, NY) - See all my reviews
I get one of these every year for the past 5 years, the quality is awesome and i love how you can write your notes on the side. Helps with tasks at work.
Cheaper price then the website, and most of the time the website runs out!
Thanks!!

2.0 out of 5 stars moleskine - questionable quality, November 1, 2013
My Moleskine softcover 8x10 notebook separated at the binding within 6 months without any undue stress.
When I looked online, I found numerous people with the same issue.

I want to add this perspective as it seems that most other reviews are positive.

I'd say that the Moleskine "legend" may have been moved to China as some reviewers said..
and that is not the "timeless" product it was once known as.

Fortunately, I found some good advice on how to repair the binding.
But who wants to repair a trusted product ?

$20.95 $17.56