Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Shop Now Tikes

on December 8, 2007
This little guy has been my favorite Moleskine for about the last two years. It doesn't have any of the gravitas of its older, hardbound brothers; but it makes up for it in portability.

These come three to a pack, and have covers of lightweight cardboard. Many of the pages are perforated, and it has an approximation of the standard pocket in the back (a bit less secure). You can get them blank, ruled or squared (graph paper). They are also available in black, if that's your thing, but keep in mind you can't usefully write on the cover if it's black.

What I love so much about these is their lightness of manner. They fit more comfortably in a coat pocket, so I *always* have one on hand. They're not precious (in price or style) so I don't feel bad tearing out a page, even a non-perforated one, nor does it bother me if I spill beer on one. And for more important notes, you can write on the cover.

I still do appreciate the traditional Moleskines, but the plain cahier is my constant companion, my artistic PDA. I highly recommend it.
on May 29, 2008
I'm a convert to paper, having carried a Palm of one generation after another for the last 10 years. But they're just too bulky, not quick enough, and too hard to randomly flip through the accumulated information. (Please don't offer advice on fixing them; I'm in IT support and have gone through all the love-hate cycles with PDA's I can stand. And my phone is _just_ a phone.)

So I found these notebooks and fell in love. I keep one in my pocket at all times and am always jotting down notes, lists, diary entries, reviews, URLs, passwords, etc.

My only fear was losing one, or spilling water on it and watching my water-based fountain pen ink become unreadable. Happily, we have a new copier at work that scans to pdf and emails. So once a week or so I send myself any new pages and have a permanent record in my email inbox if needed--best of both worlds.

The little pocket on the back has been very useful--holds my bus pass in a very convenient location for quick access; likewise a few business cards--no need for a pretentious separate case. And room left over for a few dollar bills to get my caffeine fix on the way in to the lab.

I tape my business card to the inside front cover in the hopes some kind soul will return it if I do leave one laying somewhere. On the black v. tan color? Black shows less wear; tan does allow one to write on the cover--but depending on the ink one uses, how close to the body carried, and perspiration, this may not be a Good Thing for one's clothes.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 28, 2008
These notebooks are flexible and fit well in my pocket. I've been carrying these notebooks around for the past half-year and have been using them to keep lists and jot down ideas. I've really enjoyed using these - it's an easy way to keep track of things. It's nice to have a little bit of paper on hand when I need it.

These are the only notebooks that I've run across that are small, flexible, and side bound. I've tried using the small, top-bound spiral notebooks that are commonly found in stores. Those spiral notebooks tend to get beaten-up before I'm done with them, they give me paper-cuts, and it's somewhat inconvenient to flip the notebook over to continue writing stuff down. I've had none of those problems with the cahier notebooks.
on June 23, 2012
This is a very reliable product, although (as some other reviewers have said) the plain kraft cardboard cover is flimsy (so minus 1 star for that). That makes for light weight, which is what I want, but if you are going to submit these to rough treatment, you should try something else. Having said that, I have bought this product at least four times and have used up at least a dozen of these so far.

I use these in a low-tech-high-tech way now: after I fill a book, I remove the binding with a seam ripper and then I feed the pages to my scanner, so I end up with a PDF of the whole book. I have been able to send this PDF to the Kindle app in my iPhone and then I have the old book handy that way.

The scanner I use is the Fujitsu ScanSnap, which I recommend very highly.

If you do this, don't forget to number the pages before you remove the binding.
on October 15, 2013
At the time of writing this review, each notebook costs about $2.55, bundled in sets of 3. So why spend that much money, when you could get a memo pad for $0.75 at Wal-Mart? The answer is this: Moleskine produces the most consistent and convenient product for this size and type of notebook. The build quality is high, and the aesthetic is rustic and minimal. When you factor only price in, you miss the point of using a Moleskine.

Personally, I use this as my wallet and notepad. I keep my ID and credit cards in the back, and I use the pages for ideas, memos, or notes. The one I currently have in my pocket has held up for 15 months with a bit of tape to help it. I always get compliments and "Ooh, that's cool" comments when I take it out of my pocket. The Moleskine is not only a good notebook; it's basically a fashion or personality accessory in what it projects to others. If you're into writing, it's cool to have good supplies for it.

The Pros:
-The look and feel. New ones look serious. They have a cool shape, and the thread of the binding is a nice touch. Old ones look vintage.
-The size. The width and height are great dimensions for any pocket. And the thickness is easily bearable. When compared to my Galaxy smartphone, it is lighter and thinner, with only a few cm of excess around the sides.
-The flexibility. Since I keep this in my pocket, the flex helps it stay comfortable. The paper also makes it feel less sweaty than my cell phone.
-Page texture. I can write with any pen or pencil on the paper, and it feels great. From fountain pens to ballpoint pens, from regular #2 pencils to drawing leads.

The Cons:
-Ink bleeds through the pages. I use both sides anyway, but it may bother you if you like prisitine pages
-Cover sometimes needs tape to hold it together with heavy use.
-Perforated pages sometimes come loose at the tops and bottoms with heavy use.
-Cost. I could buy about 10 memo pads for the cost of 3 Moleskines.

Overall, this is a cool notebook. I use them a lot. And when I am looking for a cool gift for someone, but I don't know what they want, I usually get them a Moleskine, something cool to write with, and something they might like to read. I'd recommend at least trying these out to see what you think.
on May 12, 2011
This is the second set of Moleskines I've tried, and again I'm disappointed that all of the pens I've tried using have shown through the back of the page, which makes it impossible to use both sides. Other than that I have no complaints; the notebooks are a GREAT size, and have a good amount of pages. Not too many, not too few. I intend to use them as travel journals and I think they're absolutely perfect for it. I REALLY just wish that the pages didn't show through; anyone have any recommendations for similar notebooks with paper that doesn't show pens through to the back?
on October 23, 2008
I originally bought this absent-mindedly thinking it was a little larger. I didn't pay much attention to the dimensions, but these small notebooks still come in handy. Fits better in your pocket than a spiral-bound and pages don't fall out. It's especially nice that they've included the back pocket as featured in the larger versions.
on March 27, 2013
Not the normal moleskine, the pages are way thinner, to the point where you can see anything written on the other side. If you're looking for a normal notebook or write moderately hard (harder than a brushstroke) then this notebook is not what you're looking for.
on June 26, 2011
I use these things for taking notes at work. They are small enough to fit in your pocket and be out of the way all while being big enough to take the notes I need to take and draw illustrations I need to share.

To me it is the perfects size notebook for all that I do. Try it! You'll see.
on March 22, 2015
These pocket journals go with me everywhere. The binding has held out against abuse from the elements in the back country to daily life in the big city. There's nothing fancy about this journal set, it simply gets the job done!