Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Moleskine Classic Notebook, Pocket, Squared, Black, Hard Cover (3.5 x 5.5) (Classic Notebooks)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 16, 2009
This moleskine has a square grid, which is ideal for engineering. I've used this particular moleskine for graphing data and organizing. I go through one every 2 months on a job transfering permanent information to records. I transfer information to the next book.

It is important to equip the book for your use. I keep a reduced 3-year calender in the front. In the back flap I keep a small ruler, a couple of business cards and some reduced charts for use.I cut the ruler from my old day runner ruler.

This is an ideal organizer because it fits in nearly all shirt breast pockets. This is so much easier than the bulky dayrunner and much more convenient than my blackberry.

If this review helped, please add your vote.
0Comment|95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2004
I have been an afficionado of blank books since childhood, and this one is the best. A moleskine usually lasts me about a year -- that's a year of grocery lists, ideas, business plans, sketches of where the furniture ought to be, phone numbers, recipes, all the things I might have written on scraps of paper and lost if it weren't for my moleskine. Who needs a Blackberry?

This notebook is sturdy, with pages sewn (rather than glued), so they don't fall out. The paper is good quality, a pleasure to write on. There's a ribbon to keep your place, and an elastic to keep the notebook shut while it's bashing around your bag or pocket. There's even a clever little accordion-pleated pocket in the back for receipts or ticket stubs or other small paper treasures.

Moleskines come lined and blank as well as squared, but the squared is best for my purposes -- and you'll be amazed how many uses you find for graph paper once you have it.
on May 27, 2005
This is the book many others attempt to duplicate but simply cannot. In addition to the cool little features like elastic band (keeps book closed when stuffed full of other found items & papers), the pocket in the back and the durable cover this is a very well made book. As a student of book making, this is a classic piece. Most books nowadays are a form of "perfect binding" where the pages are just glued on the spine. Needless to say this is as non-archival and non-durable as it gets. Moleskine's are done they classic way: pages folded and sewn together in signatures then sewn to the binding. They will last forever, which is why we still have sketchbooks around from the likes of Van Gogh, etc.

An overall great choice, I recommend it constantly.
on December 29, 2009
This is the small notebook that will barely fit in a shirt pocket or pants pocket. It's great for taking with you on trips where the hard cover will keep it from falling apart or getting soaked by sweat. I like the graph paper (instead of the lined or plain paper available) as it is easier to draw maps and sketches. I do wish they were a bit sturdier, but I've found nothing better in 10 years of looking.
on November 13, 2011
I've used Moleskine products daily for a long time and haven't had one problem that I didn't cause myself. After all this time I'm still amazed that buyers continue to become frustrated and angry with their Moleskine for not doing what they wanted it to, subsequently complaining that Moleskine either lies about the product or that it has too much "hype". Nowhere in the pamphlet that their products come with does it mention names such as Hemingway and Chatwin and then tell us that we are all artists because we now have one. Neither do they claim to be leather, handmade, invincible or impervious to the treatment some owners subject them to. They are excellent products for what they are (yes, I've tried all the major competitors), not what some imagine them to be.
You are buying a ten to fifteen dollar pocket sized book for writing in, not an expensive, handcrafted piece of stationery meant to be used for months and years before filling. Moleskine pocket notebooks are exactly that: Pocket-sized notebooks. Common sense dictates that pocket doesn't mean your back pocket. It is a note book...meant to jot quick notes, thoughts, sketches and whatever else in. For this purpose you can't find a better product for the money, and at 96 sheets and 192 pages it should be more or less full before it absorbs enough of a user's abuse to destroy it.
Moleskine makes a better product than they should for the low price, no matter where it's made or how. I've gone through A LOT of these notebooks and their quality remains consistent with what I expect. Like any other product, a person should know what to expect, and be reasonable about their expectations, before they make a purchase.
on June 29, 2006
The Mokeskine notebooks are must haves for art majors. They're handy for quick sketches, laying out ideas for 2D/3D design class, keeping track of glazing formulas, class assignments, personal notes and reminders, email addresses and phone numbers, just about anything you can think of to draw or write down. The smaller ones fit in a pocket or small purse and the larger ones go nicely in your portfolio or backpack.
on October 31, 2005
This is a great note book. Is very well constructed and will sustain abuse. I am a civil engineer and use it on the field constantly I have 2 a small 3.5 by 5.5 and a medium. I particularly recommend the small with squares the size is perfect for you back pocket.
on April 26, 2010
Within the same order, I purchased a pocket sized "ruled" moleskine, a pocket sized "squared" moleskine, and a large sized "squared" moleskine. Unfortunately, the lines in both the squared moleskines are too dark. They are noticeably darker than the lines in the ruled moleskine (I compared them very closely to ensure that my analysis was correct). Indeed, the lines are so dark that it's difficult to read what is written in black pen. The only upside is that if someone is trying to read what you've written, over your shoulder, they will have a difficult time doing so.

This is unfortunate, because my friend's squared moleskine (which he purchased "several years ago") has lines that are much lighter in color, like the lines which appear in the "ruled" moleskines. I'm guessing that I had a bum production batch, or they've amended the product from its previous form.

Also, with the squared moleskine, the lines are too close together. They are closer together than the lines in the "ruled" moleskines. This makes it difficult to write quickly if you're writing one line of text per line. You have to write so small that it's difficult to keep up your writing speed.

Overall, a disappointment. But generally I love moleskine notebooks. Just sucks that the "squared" version (or at least the ones shipped to me) are so flawed.
on December 9, 2014
Whipping out a notebook like this during a meeting garners respect. People are like oh you're taking notes in a Moleskine, things just got serious up in here. The thing is well made and the little things like back pocket and elastic band are extremely handy. This is a great tool for keeping important ideas wherever you go.
on December 12, 2006
I've been using small notebooks for the past three years as part of my attempt to wrangle projects and daily tasks. The Moleskine Small Squared is right for the job. It is not so precious that I fear besmirching it with my scribblings, but it is nice enough that I am happy to bring it out in a business setting, with customers present or otherwise. The grid makes it easy to quickly jot down a to-do-list with checkboxes and a little space to mark when I've delegated a task, decided not to do it after all, etc. I tend to use the right-hand page for such lists, and the left-hand page for notes and other jottings; the fact that the book lays flat makes this easy. The paper is of moderately weight; stern enough to prevent bleed-though with my favorite rollerball, but light enough to make for a slim volume with many pages. I recommend it.